• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

There are a couple of episodes in D/P that are rehashes of the old Kanto episodes. The most recent one that comes to mind is "Pika and Goliath", which was a new version to Pikachu and the Thunderstone via Lt. Surge's battle.

is it just me or does Diamond and Pearl seem more like a remake of the Kanto episodes? I couldn't help but notice that some of the episodes are almost scene for scene remakes of early episodes. I don't know if it means they're running out of ideas or if it means they just want to improve what could have been better. Either way, it's getting a little annoying because I feel as if they're skipping out on a lot of original concepts in favor of doing what has already been done.

If that's the case then we'd all better watch out when it comes to the fifth gen! Johto rehash time!

Dogasu, I love your comparsions, and I been reading a good 6 years since I gotten internet access. I think I asken a couple questions before in the past over the years. But I really like that your going back to the Kanto comparsions again. I understand now these days that everyone could pick up quickly with Diamond and Pearl episodes because internet techonology.

Your last one cracked me about the Japanese using BGM and 4 Kids didn't at the scene Bill was talking, but I do find interesting 4 Kids going a lot with Japanese BGM, I wonder what made them stop.

Though I been wondering, what got you into doing comparsions in the first place? Don't know if anyone ever ask you this. But be nice to respond and I looking forward for your next comparsion soon! My favorite eppie ^_^

Realistically, the D/P series has felt like a homage to all previous sagas.

D/P basically takes everything the writers learned from Kanto/Orange/Johto/Hoenn/Battle Frontier and rolled them all into one to get D/P.

There's elements from every previous season in the D/P series.

Weedle Mchairybug said:
also, off topic, but, did you find out if the second movie reference in "The Mystery is History" was in the original version or not? I had to ask since I hadn't gotten a PM in reply since i stated that it was in "The Mystery is history" in a reply to your question of what episode it was in.

I actually forgot about that ^^;; I'll try to remember to look it up for you sometime this weekend.

AtoMan said:
Side note - i went and did some checkups in Polish dub... and it seems Jetix airing cut around 27 seconds of Squirtle "capture" episode's footage. Both scenes featuring guns (Team Rocket threatening people - 14 seconds - and later people pointing guns at Ash - 13 seconds) were cut. That doesn't cause any harm plot-wise making me wonder why 4kids didn't do that in the first place.

That's interesting...

After reading your post, I did a quick search for the polish dub on YouTube and came across the Polish version of the first opening theme. And I wonder...why didn't they get the TV version of the opening theme instead of (what I assume to be) the CD version? It totally doesn't sync up.

Blackjack Palazzo said:
I'm pretty sure that series didn't make that contraption up. Plus James is seen wearing one in flashback in a (much) later episode.

Probably not. But Pocket Monsters makes enough Kyojin no Hoshi references throughout the years that it most likely *is* a reference to that particular series.

As for Kojirou's suit:

ep008_kyojin.jpg
ep080_kojirou_kyojin.jpg

Gligarman said:
is it just me or does Diamond and Pearl seem more like a remake of the Kanto episodes? I couldn't help but notice that some of the episodes are almost scene for scene remakes of early episodes.

The common explanation is that they're remaking older episodes for newer fans. Since shows aren't rerun to death in Japan the way they are in the U.S. and since the original series is not available on DVD in Japan, lots of new fans have no way of watching the older episodes.

Plus, a lot of the fans who watch "Pika and Goliath," for example, weren't even alive when "Electric Shock Showdown" debuted. So for *those* fans, these stories are brand new.

Amazed4587 said:
Though I been wondering, what got you into doing comparsions in the first place? Don't know if anyone ever ask you this.

My site started in 2000 when the series was in its huge "fad" stage. At the time, there were literally hundreds of fansites on the Internet, and finding a way to make *your* site stand out wasn't easy. I noticed that like 98% of the sites out there were dub-only, so I decided to make my site focus more on the original Japanese version instead. I was a huge fan of the still-active DBZ Uncensored and knew that Pokemon wasn't unedited in the least, so I decided to start doing episode comparisons.

There was actually another site that did edit lists as well, but they stopped years and years ago.

Last edited:
After reading your post, I did a quick search for the polish dub on YouTube and came across the Polish version of the first opening theme. And I wonder...why didn't they get the TV version of the opening theme instead of (what I assume to be) the CD version? It totally doesn't sync up.

Dunno what did you see ;-) but the first opening used second verse of the song instead of first; probably for the same reasn Pokemon in US premiered with episode 15. As for being synced up or not - seems some episoded had this problem, but usually it was OK. And it's still better than Pikachu's Jukebox and Karaokemon, where the music clips were cut differently than in original, causing the clips not match up at all (Jukebox) and lyrics (Karokemon), because we got them with english lyrics on-screen.

BTW, i added a video featuring the "cuts": http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gmm1FWoxr04

Those cuts are...jarring. It also makes Jenny's appearance seem even more random than it was in the uncut version.

By the way, I've been working on this...does anyone have any tips for making YouTube videos look...not so crappy? The .avi file I uploaded looks fine, but when you look at it in YouTube, it's pretty terrible.

Last edited:
Those cuts are...jarring. It also makes Jenny's appearance seem even more random than it was in the uncut version.

By the way, I've been working on this...does anyone have any tips for making YouTube videos look...not so crappy? The .avi file I uploaded looks fine, but when you look at it in YouTube, it's pretty terrible.

I saw your vid and commented. AVI files uploaded on youtube usually are not really good with youtube but its still doable. Many times if you upload 640 x 480 vid its not so bad, you get the high quality option. I uploaded on youtube times before and mpegs gernerally work best to me and still come out great even if not in high quality. But the basic guidelines are found in this.

MPEG4 (Divx, Xvid) format
MP3 audio
Video resolution: 480x360 or higher
Frame Rate: 24fps or higher

If you aim for that, it should give you a better resoultion. Yeah I know youtube videos are tricky to get in good quality.

http://www.squidoo.com/youtuberight

This site provides some good tips, so good luck with your vids in the future. Also it has how to get your vid in HD quality as well.

And thanks for answering my question, wow I never knew about the other sites, well for me internet was new for me.

Last edited:
Weedle Mchairybug said:
Dogasu, why is your website currently being worked on by Apache?

???

Blackjack Palazzo said:
Of course, Surge saying "Goddamn!" is nothing compared to his most famous line from Special (which, btw, was changed to "Curses!" in the Singaporean translation).

What's the line? I haven't read enough of Special to know what you're talking about.

Dogasu before you stop doing your current Indigo comparions can you at least do the Indigo League?? I always wanted to see if anything was painted over/the differences there.

sorry. It's just that a few hours ago, your website was briefly taken down and replaced with a green message saying that a (registered sign)ctrl key is being fixed by some group named Apache, and I didn't quite understand what just happened.

I didn't start visiting Dogasu's Backpack until AG started premiering in the U.s. but since then I've regularly visited the site. I enjoy reading the episode comparisons and find many of the other stuffs to be enjoyable as well such as some of the rants.

By the way, why were the character bios removed? I remembered when there were bios for the major characters on the site but they are gone now.

I have been visiting his site frequently since the start of the dub of Diamond and pearl however I have been aware of the edits in pokemon since I was about 11 or 12...

In one part (vol 10 I believe) he shouts "SHIT!", spelled out. It's really funny.

(Special has a lot of random English, like Wallace saying "Beautiful!" and "Wonderful!" or Saturn saying "BOSS?")

Not sure about Surge in Volume 10, but in Volume 11 he does say "OH MY GOD" in english. It gets furigana and everything. :p

surgeohmygod.png

Back
Top Bottom