• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Yet we'd seen Dragon Rage used on two occasions prior to that episode. o_O

You're not wrong, of course. But to play devil's advocate for a minute,

1) Mr. Tomioka didn't write either of those episodes so maybe he wasn't aware?
2) Resources like Bulbapedia wouldn't have existed back in 1999 for him to be able to fact check something like that. Hell, even today the Japanese equivalent of the Bulbapedia page for Dragon Rage doesn't conveniently list out all its appearances in the TV series the way the English one does.

1. Japanese Episode 027
You know the part when Satoshi looks at Hajime's mom and is reminded of his own mom?

Well, in the Japanese version, we get a flashback of scenes from the first episode, "Pokemon I Choose You!"

flashback01.jpg

flashback02.jpg

flashback03.jpg

4Kids, being 4Kids, couldn't just leave well enough alone and decided to replace these clips. With clips from "Beauty and The Beach." An episode they wouldn't get around to dubbing for another two years.

Like...what was the logic behind that decision!? Maybe they thought it would be better for Ash to think about the most recent time he had seen his mother instead of the first time? But when that "most recent time" comes from an episode that, as far as dub viewers know, doesn't exist, you run into problems. I wonder how many fans watched this episode and wondered "wait a minute...when did that happen!?" I'm sure there were more than a few.

Even today, this edit is weird because the majority of Pokémon fans in the U.S. have never seen "Beauty and The Beach" and would therefore have no reason to know where those clips came from.

Actually the few times I came across "Sleeper and Pokemon Hypnotism!?" in the Japanese Version, I recall flashbacks to the rarely aired in the US episode and not the premiere. Heck, some people including Suede mentioned that the original Japanese airings did have the flashback to "Holiday at Aopulco" while later versions did change it to "Pokémon, I Choose You".

As for why they didn't pick up on this one (as they did make dub changes to "Tentacool and Tentacruel" and "Dig That Diglett" to reflect a missing episode), probably laziness or oversight. Or just focused on cultural edits to bother.

2. Really not about the usual comparison between the Japanese/US version of an episode, but some trivia I couldn't find on the site for anyone interested. But, besides the dialogue exclusive to the first US Premiere of the episode, "The Battle of the St. Anne" had another dub variation in the scene in a VHS special "A Sneak Peak at Pokémon"

The VHS was a special for Nintendo Power subscribers and like some N64 videos how you get special presentations of some projects before online streaming became a thing.

The special had some really corny quirks like the live action segments introducing Satoshi/Ash's Aunt Hilary, Cousins Trey & Troy and science teacher Mr. Carlson, as well as Kasumi/Misty's friend Amy.

But from the St. Anne episode, the special uses the clip of Sakaki/Giovanni speaking to the Rocket Trio. Instead of their discussion being about their plans to rob everyone on the boat, it's instead about telling them they need to step up on their plans to steal Pikachu before the cartoon, video game, comic books and the trading cards are available to the general audience.

If anyone is interested in it I'll see if I can do a transcript of the scene, or edit it in if I don't get any responses right away.

Edit: Since there's no further posting yet...

Giovanni- Team Rocket, Blast off at the speed of light. Surrender now or prepare to fight. Attention!!!

Jessie and James- At your service.

Meowth- Meowth too sir.

Giovanni- Everything is proceeding exactly as I have foreseen. The Pokémon craze is sweeping the world. I want the three of you to catch the rarest of all Pokémon, Ash Ketchum's Pikachu.

Meowth- We've been trying.

Giovanni- Ooh then try harder. And you better steal Pikachu away from them soon, because the tv show is about to launch. And the Game Boy game, and the toys, card game, comic books. Soon the whole world will be looking for Pikachu. Does anyone else know of our plans?

James- Only a bunch of kids who were lucky enough to get their hands on this video..

Giovanni- Well if they don't get the Game Boy game or watch the tv show, they'll never get Pikachi (finishing with a smirk and evil laugh).

And yes this was said by Ted Lewis, Rachael Lillis and Nathan Price.:ROFLMAO: Just incase you though the Boss Fantasties were the first to lower the head of TR's dignity.

Last edited:
Actually the few times I came across "Sleeper and Pokemon Hypnotism!?" in the Japanese Version, I recall flashbacks to the rarely aired in the US episode and not the premiere. Heck, some people including Suede mentioned that the original Japanese airings did have the flashback to "Holiday at Aopulco" while later versions did change it to "Pokémon, I Choose You".
If true, that's really weird.

The version on Hulu does have a flashback to "Holiday at Aopulco" whereas the version that Kid's Station airs has the "Pokémon, I Choose You" flashback. I believe the episodes on Hulu are the original airings since the flashing lights and pakapaka effects aren't removed or tuned down like in the reruns.

Seems like 4Kids were given the original and not the edited version.

I got a kick out of this (from BW023/24 comparison "So why haven't these episodes aired yet"):

But why even retcon them at all? Why not just air them as-is with a disclaimer telling kids that this is an episode airing out-of-order? That should be enough, right?

The thing is...television networks never do this. Ever. Can any of you guys think of a single instance of a Japanese TV station airing an episode of a serialized children's program out of order, and then admitting it up front? How about any Western TV stations?

You can't, because nobody does that.

Of course the whole time I'm reading this I'm thinking "Pokemon did this!", but of course it was later with the XY Skrelp episode.

I really like that a lot of the articles haven't been updated because its interesting to see what the general reaction was at the time.

Not responding to anyone particular, just needed this to get out a minor two cents
1. That's fair, I'm just saying, I can hear a clear difference: I can hear traces of her Seymour to be fair, but the timbre is deeper and this Oswald take has a psuedo German accent to it, Seymour was kind of unaccented in comparison.

When it comes to the two and their differences myself I always felt Seymour was a legit scientist with quirks, whereas Oswald strikes me as say someone who believes that wearing glasses & a lab coat plus talking with an accent makes him intelligent.

I mean I can't think of anything Seymour did that compares to Oswald thinking Misty's an alien because of his cheaply made device (or merely ordered it from a comic book ad).

I got a kick out of this (from BW023/24 comparison "So why haven't these episodes aired yet"):

But why even retcon them at all? Why not just air them as-is with a disclaimer telling kids that this is an episode airing out-of-order? That should be enough, right?

The thing is...television networks never do this. Ever. Can any of you guys think of a single instance of a Japanese TV station airing an episode of a serialized children's program out of order, and then admitting it up front? How about any Western TV stations?

You can't, because nobody does that.

Of course the whole time I'm reading this I'm thinking "Pokemon did this!", but of course it was later with the XY Skrelp episode.

I really like that a lot of the articles haven't been updated because its interesting to see what the general reaction was at the time.

Yeah I'm puzzled myself to be honest. I mean when "Holiday in Aopulco" finally aired as "Beauty in the Beach" they simply advertised it as the lost episode and it was clearly placed much earlier in the continuity, even recapping "Island of the Giant Pokémon".

And the world for all it's problems today is still spinning.

Technically Satoshi and TR are the only characters he designed, rest of them looks like their Sugimori designs from the games.

sc190191 said:

IIRC TV-Tokyo never advertised that as a "lost episode" nor did they do anything else to tip off viewers that they were airing the episode out of order.

Antiyonder said:
Yeah I'm puzzled myself to be honest. I mean when "Holiday in Aopulco" finally aired as "Beauty in the Beach" they simply advertised it as the lost episode and it was clearly placed much earlier in the continuity, even recapping "Island of the Giant Pokémon".

My point about Japanese networks never doing this still absolutely stands though.

martianmister said:
Technically Satoshi and TR are the only characters he designed, rest of them looks like their Sugimori designs from the games.

The character designer of a TV series still has to figure out how his characters will translate to animation regardless of whether or not they've "already been designed." You can't just copy / paste the game artwork and call it a day.

(also, Sugimori doesn't do all the character artwork by himself anymore...)

1. Japanese Episode 027

I have copies of both the pre and post-Porygon edits of this single episode. The pre ones do feature clips from Holiday at Aopulco. Seems like 4kids got themselves a pre-edited version of it. Now why the change, I have no idea.

Either they build Fuura City right next to an active volcano, or these baby pokemon had an extremely long life span.

Pokemon movies were mostly inspired by Kaijū and Studio Ghibli movies. Looks like, now their main source of inspiration is "Your Name" as seen in both this and previous year's movies.

I don't see the Ghibli influence, and "Your Name" only seems to have somewhat influenced this year's movie.
Clashes/interactions between humans and legendary/mythical pokemon are similar to relationship between men and supernatural creatures of Ghibli movies. Satoshi's creepy nightmare world without pokemon scene from the previous movie is also very reminiscent of Mitsuha and Taki's scenes about not remembering each other's names.

Back
Top Bottom