• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

I would rather say you think the world has learned to be not as jumpy in interpreting things as racial or so. I really don't see how you could view coloring your face black as racial. But maybe I'm just too open to how other culture make things. Besides, in Japanese traditional Theaters which name just slips me, they always draw all over their face though it's usual white and red.

I would rather say you think the world has learned to be not as jumpy in interpreting things as racial or so. I really don't see how you could view coloring your face black as racial. But maybe I'm just too open to how other culture make things. Besides, in Japanese traditional Theaters which name just slips me, they always draw all over their face though it's usual white and red.

The history of blackface in the U.S. does make it bit more complicated. Plus, Passimian being based on a monkey might have made it more of an issue since African Americans being associated with primates is also a common racist imagery. Much like with Jynx, I doubt that the writers had any intentions of such imagery with this episode, but I can't really blame TPCI for playing it safe by skipping it either. Pokemon already has one controversial imagery with Jynx's original design. They don't need to potentially add a second one with Ash dressing up as a Passimian complete with black paint on his face.

I think the intent clearly was not to make it come off as blackface. The US in particular has it way worse with race relations than most places in the world.

Do I think him dressing up as is, is racist? No not at all.

Can I see someone seeing it? Yeah. I'd disagree heavily since the intent is dress up like a Pokemon but it's not in a situation where I wouldn't get it if someone had that interpretation.

Do I get why they pulled the episode? Absolutely, if it was even remotely borderline why even hint at it being an issue and why would you want to cause problems with a kids show?

Do I agree with pulling it? No.

I have empathy and get why someone would feel that way but this is similar to other issues such as Jinx where yeah, she looks way too close to a racist depiction even if the intent is a Ganguro or potentially something related to Japanese folklore. Regardless of that, even with context in mind, yeah she looks really bad in an american mindset. I still maintain context is king and trying to ignore it along with intent is a terrible mindset, but ya know even in some cases, Mr. Popo while not trying to look like a racist stereotype, looks really really bad to a random onlooker.

For this episode? I don't think me or even some of my friends who are black got that interpretation watching the episode. The context is that Satoshi/Ash is going under disguise to blend in with them, that's it. I have empathy for others who might feel that way but I can't really find myself agreeing when talking with others about it and thinking about this episode.

I prefer not to censor than censoring stuff out but there are situations where even I would say something is ok or not. This I thought was fine and people made an issue that I really don't see being a problem. Some people are a bit to sensitive and make problems out of nothing that is something I do feel is a problem with culture in the states. But that doesn't mean I think that one racist looking cats in the aristocrats is A-ok, though my Mexican friend in Louisiana thought it was funny when I watched the movie with him.

Don't agree with it but I understand why people might have thought it was too borderline. Original Jynx and Mr.Popo from Dragonball are definitely not ok in my eyes but this I don't see as a problem but I get why they would pull it or why someone might take issue.

Dogasu I really appreciate your thread on Twitter about the Nagetsukesaru episode. The lack of empathy shown towards those for whom the blackface/monkey connotation would affect is frankly absurd and you made a good attempt at trying to appeal to the better instincts of your readers.

Mr. Yuyama says they looked back at the previous 19 movies and picked those two since they were some of the more popular stars
Eh, makes sense, I guess.
Mr. Yuyama confirms that Cross comes from the Alola region
Come to think about it, I never thought about it.
Director Yuyama states that Makoto's mother is in fact not the Champion Shirona!
I guess this will end that wild rumor.
Mr. Yuyama later says that Makoto's mother is famous but he doesn't give any other information than that.
That's strange. Could she be a character that we'll see in Gen VIII?
The colors of the sequence at the end of the film where Satoshi snaps out of it were chosen to represent the first generation games - Red, Green, Yellow, and Blue.
So, that's why they focused on these flowers that much.

Someone ever heard of that Pokemon's CD soundtrack that came during the Kanto days, with all the OST the anime had back then?

It's interesting that after the music ends playing, Ishizuka (with Pokemon Zukan's voice) explains what the music is about and give examples of when they are played, describing the scene of episodes they are used. For eg, Genwaku no Bijo, aka Shion Town's theme, is indeed stated to be played in one episode only. He also says some musics are from the games and tells where they are from.

(Zukan says Natsume abdicated from the match for laughing lol (or something like that, the word it uses is ほうき, which I think best fits as 放棄 going by the phrase itself)

I noticed something about Giovanni’s voice in the Japanese version of “Battle Aboard the St. Anne”. It actually DOES have a slight effect added to it like in the American version. Of course, it isn’t as prominent as the American version, but it’s there. You just have to listen really carefully for it. I haven’t watched any of his other pre-Battle for the Badge appearances in Japanese yet, so I don’t know if it’s the same case for those.

It's really nice to see someone from the anime staff interacting with fans from the West in some place different from Twitter.

"it's because it was right around this time last year when I was doing location scouting...in Los Angeles and San Francisco!!"

So this part confirms that the movie staff still does location scouting, but for some reason it isn't mentioned in marketing anymore. Interesting.

I'm not sure if a third trip to Alola would have been better than another Kanto remake. There could have potentially been more features included in another Alola game if US/UM are any indication, but the games being set in the same region three years in a row probably wouldn't have been received much better than US/UM were. Going through the same storyline with just a few changes here and there wouldn't have been well received even if it was supposed to be a Switch port. Maybe it would be different if they were actually sequels like a lot of fans wanted, but I don't think that would have drawn in enough attention from the general public. While I still have mixed feelings on having another Kanto remake and focusing on the first generation, it does make more sense from a marketing perspective. The first generation has a lot more nostalgic appeal to people and a Yellow remake with Pokemon Go features would definitely attract more attention for the Switch than a proper Sun/Moon sequel, another third version game set in Alola or even D/P remakes that fans want. Granted, I would have bought a Switch for any main series game, but some people might not have been interested in getting that system for a sequel or a remake to a different region. Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee are designed to attract both new and old fans, as well as fans from Pokemon Go, which wouldn't have worked if it was just another game set in Alola.

That being said, it is kind of strange to remember people were so sure that the eighth generation was coming this year. I could have seen the anime wrapping up fast if needed, but I also remember thinking that two years is a pretty short time for a generation. Whenever they do announce the next generation, people are going to be quite excited.

I'm also kind of glad that TPCI did not commission a special to celebrate the dub's anniversary. Even if The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon special wasn't the first time the then new voice cast took on their roles, I don't think it would have been that more well received among fans. It was a pretty bad special from what I remember. Plus, getting a special commission for them is definitely more of 4Kids' style than TPCI. They did that for both Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!, so I wouldn't have expected TPCI to do something more than the Twitch marathon or get Disney XD to have another marathon of the series.

As for Team Rocket, I'm still pretty sure that they'll keep them around despite having fewer appearances in SM. If they didn't write them out of the anime in BW, then I think that they're safe, especially when they are still featured in merchandise. It is rather strange that they didn't feature them more to tie in with Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee since they're actually in the games, so I can see that as a bit of a red flag. Since Movie 21 should be still set in its own continuity, it would be rather impossible for the Lugia that showed up there to be the same one from the second movie.

No offense, but that "USUM for Switch" idea was pretty bad; almost everyone who wanted Pokemon Stars gave up on it as soon as USUM were announced. Predictions shouldn't be based on a "why not?" or "I'd buy this" whim.

Hidden Mew said:
Since Movie 21 should be still set in its own continuity, it would be rather impossible for the Lugia that showed up there to be the same one from the second movie.
Some people don't distinguish between the two Ash versions because they're the same in essence. I personally don't accept that because some personality traits are certainly different, but then that also applies to Ash between the different series. At any rate, if the backstory and general personality is the same, some people ignore the differences. That could have applied to Lugia if Movie 21 had actually been a retelling.

Some people don't distinguish between the two Ash versions because they're the same in essence. I personally don't accept that because some personality traits are certainly different, but then that also applies to Ash between the different series. At any rate, if the backstory and general personality is the same, some people ignore the differences. That could have applied to Lugia if Movie 21 had actually been a retelling.

That is rather strange logic, especially when taking into account how different Ash tends to be in every series like you pointed out. I can understand not liking that Ash isn't too drastically different in the new movies, but that doesn't change that Ash in the recent movies isn't the same Ash from the anime series. It's possible that people might have used similar logic for Lugia if the previous movie was a retelling, but it would have been such a stretch to make that claim.

Those are some very interesting (and a few far fetched) predictions. (and I wonder if some of those are being sarcastic) :unsure:

Though the TRio isn't going anywhere. They're too popular. Just because they aren't shoved in our faces and down our throats as much as they used to--thank Arceus--doesn't meant they're leaving.

Besides, it's quality over quantity. They may not be in EVERY episode anymore, but they're at their all time best :D

Dogasu said:
The movie will have a joke or two that parents in the U.S. will complain about for being too "adult."
Well we only have the trailer for reference yet they already straight-up said a couple of swear words in the the Spanish dub, at the very least.

Back
Top Bottom