• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Congratulations! I liked Translation Tuesdays more than I expected and I'm looking forward to more. Your M21 write-ups were great too.

-There's just no way Let's Go Johto will get announced 3 weeks after Gen 8's release and one year ahead of schedule. Gen 8's supposed to be a bigger game than LG.
-I'd actually love for Passimian to come back and join Ash's team. He's strong and would add type diversity.
-I'd love another OVA too, but after 2017 only had the Planetarium one and 2018 had zero I'm not expecting anything.
-A wide release of the M22 doesn't depend on TPCi, it depends on Warner/Disney/Universal or whatever studio wants to distribute it. Like I say in the Detective Pikachu thread, Warner could agree to distribute it if DP does well.
-I can see people complaining about DP being "more adult than what they expected" or "more childish than what they expected".

I honestly and truly don't see Team Rocket being written out - I really, REALLY don't want to be proven wrong here, because I still love them and I think the SM anime has them at their most enjoyable in years despite their low episode count (can't speak for the dub here since I gave up on the dub back during Best Wishes), but I also just can't imagine the show would get rid of them after all these years. I can see their appearances remaining more limited than they used to be, but I can't see them disappearing entirely. Of course I could be totally wrong and this really is the last series for them, but eh. We'll see.

I'm going to be heartbroken if I'm wrong ;__;

A part of me wouldn't be surprised if they do create some new form for Mewtwo. It would be a quick way to promote the upcoming new games and the Year of Mewtwo is pretty significant too. I don't think that they'll announce Let's Go Johto games that soon at least. It would be a nice way to celebrate G/S's 20th anniversary, but it would probably be too early for them to have another pair of games ready, especially when the new generation games will overshadow them. I'm still not sure if they would make more Let's Go games. I'd be happy if they did, especially since seeing Johto with updated graphics would be amazing for me, but it just seems too early for that to happen. Not to mention I'm not sure if any other Let's Go games set in other regions would attract as much attention compared to a Yellow remake did. Plus, I imagine that they'd want to do a traditional D/P remake first.

As for Team Rocket, I'm still pretty sure that they'll stick around. Despite their more minimal appearances, they're still pretty popular characters and I can't imagine how they'd be written out after being in the cast for so long. I suppose that it isn't impossible, but it just seems unlikely to me.

Stop being so bloody negative Dogasu!!

#RDYEN #I'm #Not #Ready

Also...I feel like you'll be dead wrong about what happens on the Show like you were last year. Though your prediction sounds SO much better than what we're likely to get...

You know, I obviously don't want the Rocket trio being written out, but I don't doubt the Sun&Moon series would do their hypothetical sendoff total justice.

I could totally see them becoming recurring characters in the next series (though are they even considered main characters any more?)

My two cents on the reason for the banning of the third Pikachu short that I wanted to get off my chest:

I personally think the whole thing is ridiculous and wish the Pokemon people would just get over it already, but I'm also an American born and raised in the U.S. And while I might look at Japan's reaction to Sakai Noriko, or Chage & Aska, or Takabe Ai, or anyone else convicted of a drug crime in Japan, at the end of the day it's not our place to tell Japan what they should and should not do. If they want to make examples of celebrities who do drugs, and if they want to treat meth users the same way we treat pedophiles, then that's their prerogative. we think they overreact while they, on the other hand, probably look at the U.S. and think that we underreact. It's all a matter of perspective.

In fairness the US has it's own problem to a point, but I suppose I find the reaction to drug use iffy when at most the issue is arguably self harm when as pointed out here by Dogasu they seem to be lenient on people who harm others (not just pedos, but sexual predators in general or how by looking at something like Shinkenger which while good for the most part treats bullies as non-problematic while bully victims are just crybabies who need to buck up). Especially as I joked in another post how the anime is a okay with sexualizing underage girls or especially more so in the last decade.

It's the kind of thing that prompts me to think that US or Japan that the uptight individuals are more concerned with looking good than doing good and really need to get a reality check.

I don't mean to sound abrasive or ungrateful but since I saw that this thread got revived, I wanted to get something off my chest that I've felt for years regarding the Dogasu's Backpack site. While I really appreciate all the hard work that must go towards translating material and such, I have to admit that I don't feel compelled to visit the site anymore from around January through July of each year because of one thing: the overwhelming amount of focus on the movies.

It seems like every year from the moment that the first new movie trailer is released up until the new movie actually debuts, all that the site really focuses on about 90% of the time is translating movie promo material and it's frustrating (it was especially aggravating this year because we got two movies instead of one). It's particularly bothersome because most of the movie material that is covered on DB is already translated days before it's posted there by other people like Adamant or people on Reddit and Twitter anyway, so it makes the movie updates on DB seem redundant. I just wish that episode comparisons, manga summaries, and other material wouldn't be pushed into the backlog during those first seven months of each year.

I'm guessing that Dogasu is too busy (or bored) for episode comparisons. He only posted one after last year's movie, and that one was controversial.

I'm guessing that Dogasu is too busy (or bored) for episode comparisons. He only posted one after last year's movie, and that one was controversial.

I'm not saying that he should restrict himself to just episode comparisons though, I just think that the excessive amount of movie shilling on his site makes the updates very predictable and not very interesting for those of us who care very little about the latest movies. It's gotten to the point where visiting the site for the first half or so of each year just isn't worth the time, and I'm also beginning to wonder if he gets paid to constantly post about the movies given that he tends to end all of his updates with reminders about the movies' release dates and such.

If that's the case then that's cool since everyone should be allowed to monetize their site, but I find it sad that a site that I used to visit often a few years ago to get interesting tidbits of information that I couldn't find anywhere else has become a marketing machine for the movies.

I'm not saying that he should restrict himself to just episode comparisons though, I just think that the excessive amount of movie shilling on his site makes the updates very predictable and not very interesting for those of us who care very little about the latest movies. It's gotten to the point where visiting the site for the first half or so of each year just isn't worth the time, and I'm also beginning to wonder if he gets paid to constantly post about the movies given that he tends to end all of his updates with reminders about the movies' release dates and such.

If that's the case then that's cool since everyone should be allowed to monetize their site, but I find it sad that a site that I used to visit often a few years ago to get interesting tidbits of information that I couldn't find anywhere else has become a marketing machine for the movies.

My only real issue with the movie content on the site are the box office score updates since I just dislike the thought that numbers matter at the end of the day. I think movie quality should always matter more than how many billion yen the movies make. But other than that, I don't mind the movie 'shilling' that much since I don't visit the site often enough to care about those updates.

But anyway, you don't have to visit the site if the updates aren't to your liking.

I bet that barely any of Dogasu's visitors watch the movies in Japanese theaters.

I'd appreciate more promotional material from the first two generations, myself. And translations of Shudo's blog.

To be clear, I am not paid, financially or otherwise, for posting about the movies on Dogasu's Backpack or elsewhere.

I post about the movies as much as I do in the first half of the year because, well, they're one of the big news stories during that time. That's it. I don't do video game news (visit one of the other 8 billion Pokemon sites if you want that) and there's not that much manga out there these days; there's Special (which other people cover already), Kousaku Anakubo's Pippi manga (which nobody cares about), and the movie manga adaptations (which I do cover).

Episode comparisons can be done any time. A comparison of the Orange Island episode "A Scare in the Air," for example, isn't going to be any more relevant now than it is a few months, or even a few years from now. There's no rush.

I do also take issue with the idea that my updates are redundant. Just looking at the front page, right now, we've got:
  • Movie box office results, something I didn't see any other Pokemon site posting beyond the first week (and even then they don't go anywhere near into as much detail as I do)
  • My review of Detective Pikachu, one of the first reviews of the movie on English language websites
  • A translation of the announcement of the Honest Boyz new single release, something you didn't see anywhere else (the few places that even bothered to report this maybe wrote a one sentence blurb and that's it)
  • A news post about the (then upcoming) Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution manga, something there's still not much about online because I haven't posted anything yet.
The rest of the front page is stuff other people translated, sure, but it's not like I was "weeks late" with that material the way it's implied I was.

I do hear and understand that the movie coverage might be a bit much so I'll see what I can do starting next year about having a bit more of a balance.

Silktree said:
I'm guessing that Dogasu is too busy (or bored) for episode comparisons.

It's the former. I don't have nearly as much free time to run a website now as I did even five years ago and each comparison takes a minimum of three hours to do.

Boruto said:
My only real issue with the movie content on the site are the box office score updates since I just dislike the thought that numbers matter at the end of the day.

They shouldn't, but they absolutely do. Whenever people ask why there hasn't been a Sun & Moon movie then all you have to do is say "look at the box office numbers, that'll tell you everything right there." Like it or not, that's the way the industry works.

I love you for using the shot of Musashi glomping Sonansu as the next episode preview pic, thank you.

Also your comparison of Kojiro's hair with Andrew Rannell's wig made me almost piss myself laughing! (His lips also give him a vague Prince Charming from Shrek look that really creeps me out.)

Oh yeah, primarily came to ask: did the TRio make it into the end credits this time round?

Phew, I was getting worried that you may had taken that movie coverage comment too seriously.

It's jarring that the movie is filled up with padding. If they were contractually forced to use the same script or something like that then they should have at least done a Pikachu short with Yamper or something similar.

I also have some questions about the movie and I'm too lazy to open Twitter...

-Is the "funny background event" of Pikachu taking care of Togepi in the beginning kept?
-Is the scene of Jessie showing her pan kept?
-What exactly are the contents of the ending credits? Are them animated or just stills?
- Do you think the CGI benefited the movie's atmosphere? Or is it as effective as the original or not as good as the original?

Back
Top Bottom