• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Phew, I was getting worried that you may had taken that movie coverage comment too seriously.

But yeah, CGI remakes are probably gonna continue at this rate. It sucks that originality has to suffer as a result, but money trumps creativity I guess.

Last edited:
The movies have lacked creativity for a long time. I don't see any recent loss, especially as last year's was an exception (but it absolutely shouldn't lead to a new feel-good formula).

Next year's movie won't be a CGI remake, so it will probably only have references at best. The logo and Pikachu's animation imply goofiness. Enjoy, I guess.

The movies have lacked creativity for a long time. I don't see any recent loss, especially as last year's was an exception (but it absolutely shouldn't lead to a new feel-good formula).

Next year's movie won't be a CGI remake, so it will probably only have references at best. The logo and Pikachu's animation imply goofiness. Enjoy, I guess.

Can you provide the animation/footage of Pikachu and a vine (?) that presumably belongs to M23? I don't find it anywhere.

It's just a hearsay from someone watched it, there is no online footage.

Ohh well, I read on twitter than the animation is similar to Sun & Moon but guess we'll have to wait for footage to confirm.

I found the source! 'Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution' Impressions, Changes, and Sequels! - PokéBeach / Pokémon TCG, games, and anime news!

"At the end of the film, the preview for next year’s Pokemon movie revealed it would be back to hand-drawn animation. The teaser featured Pikachu dropping onto a “Pokemon 2020” logo in his Sun & Moon art style."

Maybe the Galar anime will have similar animation to Sun & Moon but more refined/polished I guess.

Maybe the Galar anime will have similar animation to Sun & Moon but more refined/polished I guess.

A better artstyle/design is what we need.

SM's animation is actually great...but the ugly character designs and meme faces often undermine it :cry:

SS is sure to have good animation--hell, it gets better each saga--but better designs (and less funny faces) are what's truly needed.

It's a big shame that the subtitled release has dub lines in it, especially if the sub tract will be on the home release. It would clear up a lot of long-standing misconceptions about the Mewtwo movie since the vast majority of the people who watching it in their childhood haven't seen it in its original language. Especially the part where Meowth gave that cheese-tastic line about strength comes from the heart, there's still so many people who think Japan!Mew wanted all the clones to die because they're inferior or something.

I don't think it's likely that we'll see these subs again. It's probably much cheaper to make new ones than to negotiate with the many companies involved with the LA event.

Happy 2-decade anniversary Dogasu! Not many people can say they've been running an active website single handedly for 20 years, it's a remarkable accomplishment! It's older than a lot of regulars in the fandom even.

I think I only started visiting your site regularly around mid-2007 and that's the year where it really started to blossom in diverse content and info. It was cool to see it change during the last 13 years.

Fun fact-- in August 2012 the region where I live had an earthquake-- minor by most standards but we absolutely never get them so it was still a shock-- and I was reading your comparison of EP013 when it happened. To this day I still remember it!

Anyways, congratulations on running your site for as long as you have! It's amazing that there are probably lots of people reading it that were born after it started!

Congratulations for getting to 20 years! I always have fun reading it, as you can find material and product reviews that can't be found anywhere else. What was your first comparison, by the way?

Nice predictions, they seem realistic. A live action Pokémon movie doesn't seem to be in Warner's plans according to the calendar they released a few months ago, but I'm hopeful that SWSH and Go's gigantic successes will make them change their minds, and will make them understand that Detective Pikachu would have performed better on a different date.

Nicolas721 said:
What was your first comparison, by the way?

I'm not sure, but apparently I uploaded the first four back on February 6th, 2000. They would have been based on whatever animanga I had at the time (I didn't have access to actual copies of the Japanese episodes just yet) and I know I never owned the animanga for the very early part of the series so I'm not sure. Whatever episodes they were ended up being completely redone years later anyway.

Honestly had no idea that the Johto series' episode titles had references to old movies in them .

To TCPI's credit, they didn't keep Meowth's line "Maybe if we started looking at
what's the same instead of
always looking at what's different, well, who knows?" which is about as beloved by nostalgic dub fans as the circumstances line.

But yeah, the dub was a bizarre mix of being faithful and being stuck in the past for the sake of nostalgia. Bummer. An official dub of Aim to be a Pokemon Master would've been lovely, too.

I have only seen the dub out of curiosity, is Netflix's English sub track full of dubtitling too?

I have only seen the dub out of curiosity, is Netflix's English sub track full of dubtitling too?

The "subtitle track" on Netflix is just the closed captions used for the English dub. Any and all script changes that're in the dub will be there in the subtitle script as well.

Unfortunately the fansubs remain the best way to watch this movie, in Japanese, with an accurate sub track.

To me it is more frustrating having re-writes in the subtitles of the Japanese version. If the script writers for the dub want James to say something Kojiro didn’t say, whatever. But to then pretend that no actually Kojiro totally did say that...it’s weird.

Also the thought of an official English dub of MPM or Kaze to Issho ni is........so good.....and now I’m sad it didn’t happen.

Thanks for the review, but I don't share your frustration. There are a few weird changes that shouldn't have been made (the Wingull line, Joy's comment on the trainers who failed to make it, Mewtwo's line about Charizard, and maybe one more) and I agree that the Pokemon cries weren't needed, but overall nothing in the review bothers me. You mention Mewtwo's circumstances line not being needed 20+ years later, but what was so special about the original line? If you combine what Mewtwo tells Mew with what he tells Ash, both dubs technically just changed the order of the lines. This in turn allowed Mewtwo to be more poetic, because Mew could understand its thought process better than Ash could.

It's clear that you viewed this dub as an opportunity for the movie to be as close as possible to the Japanese version, at the expense of any ties to the 4Kids dub. But there are people out there who actually liked that dub, and yes, I'd imagine that having even a few things from that dub makes a difference to them. No one ever said that this dub was meant for people who prefer the Japanese version (that wouldn't make much sense) and just need official subtitles. As for the songs, can anyone point out examples of other localized songs that did that kind of thing (Japanese turned into English)? That might have worked for the ending song, but most western fans prefer the theme song they grew up with. Hell, there are many kids these days who watch Kanto episodes on Netflix. That said, the Japanese audio should have kept the original songs, assuming the licenses weren't outrageously expensive.

Last edited:
I think it’s too bad that TPCI never brought back Rachael Lillis as Misty. Before those SM episodes she was only in the Mirage special and that one BW episode. Surely it wouldn’t have stepped on Michele Knotz’s toes if they had brought back Rachael Lillis.

That comparison was an interesting read for sure. I do still personally feel, however, that most of the 4Kids lines that were kept had a lot of emotional "punch" behind them, even if they were objectively less accurate to the original Japanese. I'm definitely willing to admit that nostalgia probably has clouded my judgment on this though. And I think you underestimate how many people would riot if they touched the circumstances line; it's one the most quoted lines by English-speaking fans from the entire franchise period.

Isn't "I won't allow..." sometimes used as a translation for ゆるさない, even if "I won't forgive..." is much more common? That's what Japanese-English dictionaries have told me, at least, so it might be where 4Kids originally got "I won't let you" from. Maybe it's not the right translation in this context, and I understand not giving them the benefit of the doubt since they actively threw out most of the Japanese script, but it sounds more natural to my ears.

I personally didn't mind the Pokémon crying sounds TPCi added when I first watched the movie, but now that I look back on it, it definitely reeks of the outdated "kids won't understand if someone moves their mouth without anything coming out!" mindset. It was an artistic decision by the original sound designers. If they aren't going to mess with the (instrumental) music, I see no reason why they should've messed with this.

Anyway, as I stated in my review, TPCi tried to put on one heck of a balancing act with their dub of this movie, so I understand why both sides still ended up having their grievances. I'm not trying to invalidate your or anyone else's opinion. Just sharing my own personal thoughts.

Edit: Also, "our ship has come in" would've been the perfect localization for 渡りに船 but 4Kids unfortunately already used that joke for their dub of the second movie.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom