• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

I think the "joke" that they were going for in the Japanese was still in the American version. I'm not sure where you were going with that...because he said something in English?

Brock thinks it's a Pokemon
Group does that "anime fall"
Brock corrects himself, and throws it again.

Nothing beats a Jelly Filled Donut lol. I remember as a kid thinking that they were donuts, and then when they started calling them other things thats when I got confused.

"Primeape Goes Bananas" was always one of my favorite episodes.

I'll always remember it for being the beginning of Prof. Oak's love for Pokémon Poetry.

The funny thing about the onigiri being called, Jelly-filled Donuts was that my first episode of Pokémon was, "Sparks Fly for Magnemite" and when I saw "Pokémon Paparazzi" and they were called, rice balls. Then when I finally saw "Primeape Goes Bananas", I was like what?!?. . . they're rice balls not Jelly-filled Donuts. LOL.

Pokemaster Justin said:
I think the "joke" that they were going for in the Japanese was still in the American version. I'm not sure where you were going with that

One of the jokes got lost, though.

"Monster Ball, go!"
"I mean...rice ball, go!"​

As opposed to

"PokeBall go!"
"Donut (?) go!"​

Doesn't quite work the same.

I remember as a kid thinking that they were donuts

How in the world did you not know? Even if you didnt know that they were rice balls, the fact that those things look nothing like donuts should have let you know that 4Kids was feeding you bullshit.

Last edited:
How in the world did you not know? Even if you didnt know that they were rice balls, the fact that those things look nothing like donuts should have let you know that 4Kids was feeding you bullshit.

Well lets see...

I was 10 years old, my family is not japanese, I didn't go on the computer, and I didn't watch anime. It didn't think it was a regular all american circle donut, but I don't think it's too far fetched for a kid to think that it did look like some kind of snack cake product.

Yeah, when I originally saw the episode I thought it was a donut too. Not everyone knows Japanese culture and food. There are white donuts with chocolate down the center, ya know! :p

Dang it now I'm hungry.

Y'know, I didn't know too much about Japanese culture back when the dub of that episodes first aired, either. And my Internet access was close to non-existent.

With that said...I knew that something was up because the food LOOKED NOTHING LIKE DONUTS. I may not have actually known the name of the food, but I knew that they sure as hell weren't donuts or donut holes or eclairs or whatever other lie 4Kids was content to feed me.

If they really wanted to cover it up that badly, they could have at least called it a slice of cake or something. Now that, I could understand someone falling for.
But I'll have to throw my hands up and admit I don't think I'll ever understand how a triangular, lumpy white snack with a big black square at the bottom could ever be confused with the humble hula-hoop that is the wholesome donut.

To me, Rocket-Dan is who they are because that's the name I keep hearing over and over. No one ever says "Rocket Gang," for instance, so it never really registers with me as being their name.
Ahh, I figured as much. That's perfectly understandable. Thanks for clearing that one up :)

And while the subject of recycled characters is still up and running. Temacu (Himeka), the Momoko parody of the very awesome episode 'The Heartbreak of Brock' from
mid Johto made an appearence during the Wallace Cup (Staging a Hero's Welcome), in one of her fantasy wedding dresses, no less.

You know, I think this whole concept of "donuts" is a bit overblown. Just look at the Pokemon World; is there anything that is different there from our world? Hmm, I dunno, maybe the fact that the whole world is inhabited by supernatural creatures that have the abilities to spit fire, freeze water, and create earthquakes?

To use one of Dogasu's expressions in his own comparisons, I think the whole fuss over renaming a rice ball as a donut is just missing the forest for a tree. Sure there are similarities between the worlds, but there are a hell of a lot of differences too. And when you compare the concept of a Pokemon with a real animal, calling a rice ball a donut really isn't anything like the big deal it is made out to be.

Yes the consistency in the translation would be nice, but who's to say that in the Pokemon World a donut doesn't look like that? (And yes I'm aware that they are in fact called by their proper name in the raw, I'm talking about the slightly different universe that the dubbing has established; humour me).

People complain over the discussions on how much music was kept per episode and blah blah blah; complaining over whether a rice ball is being called a donut or not is just as nitpicky and annoying.

Well lets see...

I was 10 years old, my family is not japanese, I didn't go on the computer, and I didn't watch anime. It didn't think it was a regular all american circle donut, but I don't think it's too far fetched for a kid to think that it did look like some kind of snack cake product.

snowcupcake.jpg

Ok it doesn't sorta resemble a snack cake? While I know it wasn't a sterotypical hole in the middle donut, not all donuts have holes.

DreamOutLoud said:
I think the whole fuss over renaming a rice ball as a donut is just missing the forest for a tree. Sure there are similarities between the worlds, but there are a hell of a lot of differences too. And when you compare the concept of a Pokemon with a real animal, calling a rice ball a donut really isn't anything like the big deal it is made out to be.

Who's making a big fuss?

If you look in the comaprison, I barely spend any time discussing it. Because really, beyond "4Kids calling it a donut is really insulting our intelligence," what else can you really say?

The rest of this thread has been me not being able to believe that there are people who actually fell for this obvious lie.

Pokemaster Justin said:
snowcupcake.jpg

Ok it doesn't sorta resemble a snack cake?

That picture does, yes. But that's not what was drawn in the anime, now was it? The onigiri in the anime was triangular with a black rectangle on them. Not a ball with pink things in it.

When I was 10 and saw that episode, I knew it was Rice balls , and not donuts thanks to my very early exposure to Anime. I would to try those one day, if there was a way to make them.

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPGdIH0jFZU&feature=channel_page

The comments on youtube are hilarious, and quite a few others on there thought the same thing as I did when they were childrena, I'm sure no one though it was a "O" Dount, but some kind of snack cake.

My favortie quote:

MY GOD HOW WILL MY CHILDREN LEARN JAPANESE CULTURE FROM CARTOON MONSTER FIGHTING SHOWS NOW

P.S. This whole debate got me searching through websites about RiceBalls, and boy do they look nasty.

P.S. This whole debate got me searching through websites about RiceBalls, and boy do they look nasty.

They're not nasty, they're delicious! When I was in the seventh grade, my friend's mother made rice balls with a tuna filling for our school trip and it was one of the tastiest things I ever ate.

I didn't think much of the rice ball/donut thing at the time. I was a ridiculously oblivious kid so details didn't bother me. I think I discovered they're actually onigiri shortly after watching the episode, but I didn't even notice the episode talked about donuts so much in the first place...

Heh, I'm quite surprised some people didn't know it was a riceball. I remember I was about 10 when I first watched that episode and when I heard them say "doughnut" I asked my brother and sister "did she just say "doughnut"!?" they said she did and we all burst out laughing o_O

PokeWake writes the name of the organization as Team-Rocket, with a hyphen. But that's PokeWake.

I've seen donuts that look like that...or they were some sort of pastry anyway. But they're still pretty obviously not identical.

Maybe Al Kahn tried to eat one, got a mouthful of umeboshi (which are foul and disgusting), and vowed to never let one on one of his productions. OK, so that's a long shot, but it's a pretty funny image (those things are GROSS, and I think the fish filled ones are too, but that's because I hate fish).

Of all things to paint out, they didn't paint out the POCKEMON LEAG, heh. Comparison for the first opening as well as updates to the CD section should be interesting.
Dogasu said:
That picture does, yes. But that's not what was drawn in the anime, now was it? The onigiri in the anime was triangular with a black rectangle on them. Not a ball with pink things in it.
The object indeed looks like a rice ball, with its triangular shape and all and a piece of nori. All the same though, for someone who doesn't know it's a rice ball, the donut lie could pass. It may not be a stereotypical donut, but heck, donuts come in all shapes.
Pokemaster Justin said:
They're simply balls of rice, it's not like you haven't eaten rice before. With seaweed as well. The only thing that might be nasty would be the fillings which might not appeal to all.
Snake Bandage said:
I didn't think much of the rice ball/donut thing at the time. I was a ridiculously oblivious kid so details didn't bother me. I think I discovered they're actually onigiri shortly after watching the episode, but I didn't even notice the episode talked about donuts so much in the first place...
Ridiculously oblivious? Nah, I don't think so, the onigiri issue isn't that important to plot or anything, the casual watcher won't really look twice at it.
Blackjack Palazzo said:
Maybe Al Kahn tried to eat one, got a mouthful of umeboshi (which are foul and disgusting), and vowed to never let one on one of his productions. OK, so that's a long shot, but it's a pretty funny image (those things are GROSS, and I think the fish filled ones are too, but that's because I hate fish).
I'm not particularly fond of fish, but I think salmon onigiri are pretty good. Anyways, onigiri can have many different toppings, from ume to chicken.

Man, seeing that comparison brings back memories. I was 11 when I first saw Primeape Goes Bananas, and every time they said "donut," something really bothered me. I had zero idea of what rice balls were, but I knew for certain those weren't donuts. It wasn't until I saw Pokémon Paparazzi that I realized they were rice balls.

Of course, the one that drove me insane was in Snubbull Snobbery, when Brock called them "popcorn balls."

Back
Top Bottom