• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Basically took my previously stated opinions on trying to hide Japanese culture so that it would be the focus of the thread.

And yeah, even then my point was missed:-(.

I was 16 going on 17 when the dub premiered and finally watched it often when I was 17. Had 4Kids not made the changes in question and I lacked internet access?

I'd probably just figure that riceballs or the Hinamatsuri festival were akin to MLP's Zap Apple Jam or species like breezies.

You know that they were made for the Pokémon world just like Pokéballs, TMs/HMs and so on.

Then I'd learn they actually existed. You know rather than assuming they were conceived by the Anti-Christ:-D.

Another great comparison. This episode is easily the best filler of the Orange Islands arc.

People don't criticize 4Kids and TCPi for ruining moments of silence enough; I see people raise a stink only when they replace arrangements of BGM from the games. Silence is a great tool for creating atmosphere and makes the anime feel more natural and it's a shame they just do away with it.

I mean, who cares if the Boss of Team Rocket, who I've never met before, helps release these dangerous criminals back onto the streets again? No biggee LOL!

As long as they aren't on the receiving end of their schemes (right away), not their problem, right?:rolleyes:

I mean when Ace Trainer Liam gets to this on WTF Moments he might respond with "That's not very protagonisty".

Last edited:
Aaaaaa this comparison made me so happy, this is one of my absolute favorite episodes and I've been a Butch and Cassidy stan since I was like...15 lol, so reading anything about them at all is always a delight. <3 Shame they're so much cooler in the original than in the dub (Butch's dub voice is, as has been discussed, not good, and I think Cassidy's dub voice just doesn't suit her), but oh well.

That episode is easily one of my favourites in the whole series so I was so happy to read the comparison! Also so glad you covered the 'Mata-chan, Bero-chan' thing which has been bugging me for years :p But also officially sets loose a whole river of potential headcanons about Musashi being a loving mummy to Matadogas off-camera...

The new episode comparison reminded me of how hypocritical the Rocket duo were in that episode. They were depressed about having their Pokemon stolen even though they'd been trying to steal Ash and co's Pokemon for over 80 episodes....

You'd think that them going through the same experience in Pikachu Re-Volts would've made them a little more compassionate but of course any potential development never happened. :/

Ah, it sure is nice to see one of my favorite songs from the anime — Hateshinai Sekai — get some attention! Especially since it didn't seem to be a particularly well-known song that anyone really cared about up until this point, as far as I knew. One of Miyazaki's most beautiful songs, with the added bonus of fleshing out Melody to be quite a bit more interesting (given how little real development she got in the movie itself). I definitely didn't expect this song, of all things, to be the "slower, much more gentle song", but then I wasn't really that surprised either, because one of the main things I thought while listening to it for the first time was: "this sure sounds like more of an ending theme than the actual ending theme they used, doesn't it?" Looks like my instincts were right, haha!

As to whether or not I would've actually preferred it to be the ending theme over toi et moi, though, I can't really say that I have any particularly strong feelings about that; it is what it is after 20+ years. I neither love nor hate toi et moi, and while it doesn't rank very high on my list of favorite Pokémon movie ending themes, it's a fun song for what it is (enough that I own the single and listen to it about as much as the other ending themes). Still, it does kind of stick out like a sore thumb compared to the likes of Kaze to Issho ni from the Mewtwo movie, let alone the ballads from the next few movies after this one (all of which do rank very highly on my favorites list, which should give you an idea of my preferences). And while having something a little different from all of those songs is nice in concept, in hindsight it feels kind of like a harbinger to many of the later movies' ending themes being straight pop songs that have little to do — even tangentially or thematically — with the movies in question (although the last five or so movies have gotten a bit better with that). And while there's nothing necessarily wrong with that (ONE, Ice Cream Syndrome, and Egao all also happen to rank highly on my favorites list, haha), I do sometimes miss those epic slow and serious ballads that may themselves not reference the events of the movies directly, but nonetheless touch on their themes or otherwise just feel like they "fit", for lack of better words. Even if such songs aren't quite as marketable nowadays in this very marketing-driven franchise, of course.

Besides all of that, though, there's another, unrelated-but-kind-of-related thing that I find funny about this whole story. Thanks to Hateshinai Sekai being replaced with a contemporary pop song with a big-name performer attached to it, we have a rather interesting parallel in hindsight between toi et moi and its own replacement song in the US dub, The Power of One. Namely that with the likes of Namie Amuro singing toi et moi and Donna Summer — that Donna Summer — singing The Power of One, we basically have, as far as I'm aware, the two single highest-profile performers the anime has ever had — and likely ever will have — for their respective countries singing in the same movie, both for its ending theme, at almost the same time. Such are the perks of your franchise being near the peak of its popularity at the time, I suppose!

(With all of that Mewtwo money in particular certainly helping with attracting that level of talent. Heck, that success is probably a big part of why they ended up replacing Hateshinai Sekai in the first place, because, after all, why have someone like Akiko Hiramatsu headline your ending theme when you can have one of Japan's biggest pop stars headline it instead? Or Miyazaki when you can have one of Japan's biggest music producers headline it? I doubt that it was a very difficult decision for the executives, who were almost certainly the ones who ultimately made that call.)

And speaking of Miyazaki as a final little something to think about, had the opposite scenario happened and Hateshinai Sekai actually was used as the ending theme, then that would've been the first time that he ever composed an ending theme for one of the movies, and — assuming that things happened the same way after that — it would've been the only time (Oración's melody for M20's ending theme notwithstanding). But what if things didn't happen the same way? Could we have seen Miyazaki compose more ending themes afterwards, had Hateshinai Sekai proved to be a particularly popular ending theme? (Probably not, honestly, for many possible reasons, but wishful thinking, haha.) Or, perhaps more likely, if the powers that be didn't get their chance to get a Namie Amuro-level headliner for the second movie's ending theme, could they have pushed harder for something more in the contemporary pop style for the next few movies, to the point where we may not have gotten songs like Niji ga Umareta hi or Ashita Tenki ni Shite Okure in that resultant ripple of events? Because, kind of weirdly when you think about it, for all of the crap that toi et moi sometimes gets for being a straight pop song, it was actually something of an anomaly compared to those other songs, which felt more like "business as usual" at that point in the series' life (I believe that it took a few more movies before the "contemporary pop" trend really started to become a thing, and even then, there did remain a few exceptions to that rule).

Thanks for the article, Dogasu. (It was indeed all worth it!)

Last edited:
Chiming in to say Pikachu Re-Volts was also one of my favorite episodes, and probably one of my most-rewatched as a kid. Seeing a comparison was really interesting. I wish they let Ash just call Jessie by her name in that scene where they teamed up, I do agree it's more personal and really gives them a connection that otherwise is not there in the dub. This though:

Ash's non-chalant reaction to the rewritten dialogue 4Kids gave to Jessie and Misty is a bit off-putting to me. I mean, who cares if the Boss of Team Rocket, who I've never met before, helps release these dangerous criminals back onto the streets again? No biggee LOL!

I never really noticed how weird saying this was when I was young, it's almost hilarious to read now lmao.

Gotta love Shudo's "At least the other countries didn't suffer through this" attitude. Makes me wonder if he ever saw the dub.

I personally don't care much if a movie song doesn't share its message, specially since the movies' messages are very ambiguous most of the time. However I agree that there should be at least some coherence between the two so a serious movie doesn't have a childish song as the ending (looking at you Movie 7).

Just putting it out there again in case Dogasu didn't see, but I'd love to help contribute to his DVD guide, perhaps even provide screenshots to help educate new collectors on what DVDs to look out for. Here's a good portion of my collection as proof (my Blu-rays and other DVDs are on a separate shelf):

Attachments

• 20210224_103000.jpg
    20210224_103000.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 73
Just putting it out there again in case Dogasu didn't see, but I'd love to help contribute to his DVD guide, perhaps even provide screenshots to help educate new collectors on what DVDs to look out for. Here's a good portion of my collection as proof (my Blu-rays and other DVDs are on a separate shelf):
Do you have a DVD of the Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon special? I can't spot it in your collection.

I think the reason why The Crystal Iwark episode remains popular among fans is because they're fascinated with different biological anomalies in Pokémon beyond its body being shiny. I wonder if the anime producers knew shiny Pokémon were going to be a thing in the Gold and Silver games and included a similar concept in the Orange Islands?

Neat of 4Kids to fix the mouth flaps errors like that. Is the Dogasu translation of 「やな感じ!」 "this stinks!"?

Okay, so as a rule of thumb I'm all for accuracy in translation...
...but I can't lie. I always adored that dumb "how we escaped is a mystery even the writers can't figure out" bit, and the original line seems pretty generic in comparison.

I know it's a long while off but I am very curious about the Orange champion episodes. I rewatched them a few years ago (wait, that was back during middle XY...I rewatched them half a decade ago :lapras:) and there's some things I'm curious about if were accurate or not.

Another point Suede brought up jokingly albeit not for this episode is that between say Region variants and the last or the four Gyms having a legit Double Battle is that the game developers just had the OI episodes on while working on the new installments.

Okay, so as a rule of thumb I'm all for accuracy in translation...
...but I can't lie. I always adored that dumb "how we escaped is a mystery even the writers can't figure out" bit, and the original line seems pretty generic in comparison.

Interesting to learn about what they said in the original. After the episode premiered in the West, one of the old sites (can't recall the name) brought up one of the less discussed audio dramas (other one being the Mewtwo AD) about the trio having a friend name Mondo (who had a Ditto that he briefly traded for Meowth) who would show up to get them out of jams as an actual explanation.

So yeah for a long time I thought the Dub and possibly the original was making a shout out to said Drama.

@Dogasu I just wanted to point out that you misspelled "Marill" 4 times about halfway through the episode comparison; its English name only has one "R", not two.

Also I'm glad that 4Kids changed that "God of Glass" line because it honestly sounds so cheesy in the Japanese version imo. :p

I was reminded that oh yeah, "Pikablu" used to be an exciting new mystery once upon a time! What attacks can it use? What Type is it? Can it evolve? Is it related to Pikachu in any way?

Never had it myself, but as mentioned one of the other lines of cards in the US actually did refer to Marril as Pikablu (Each card being a Pikachu Summer Vacation shot). So for a time before the episode such assumption was validated.

This seems like your typical 4Kids death cover-up, but this one is weird because later in the episode they'll go on to have Mateo say "For the rest of his life grandpa turned out one great sculpture after another." You don't typically say "for the rest of his life" about someone's who still alive, right? Dub-only fans can figure out he's dead either way so why dance around a reference to his death here?

Most likely, but a Season 9 episode of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic had a return appearance by a previous character of the day, Quibble Pants dating a pony named Clear Sky who has a daughter named Wind Sprint from a previous marriage.

Not a stretch to assume it's a divorce which some viewers believed even possibly fellow adult viewers.

Except for a bit in the episode I had to point out. That being Wind Sprint not warming up to Quibble to the end and for the reason that he isn't going to make her forget about her dad. Kids of a divorced couple can sometimes reject having a step parent or someone dating their parent.

But I can't think of (m)any case where the fear of forgetting a distant parent is in relation to divorce.

But then Hasbro had this aversion to mentioning death in FiM like how say Pokémon the Movie 2000 wouldn't refer to the 3 Birds as God's (or even episode) even though the Mouse House would be willing to do so.:unsure:

Momentum said:

Thanks for the offer! I'll keep that in mind whenever I get around to dusting off that section of the site.

MizuTaipu said:
Is the Dogasu translation of 「やな感じ!」 "this stinks!"?

It's actually a translation I shamelessly ripped off from the recent Megumi Hayashibara pseudo-autobiography. I haven't actually settled on a translation of "ya na kanji" that I like, though, even after all these years.

Yami-no-Game said:
@Dogasu I just wanted to point out that you misspelled "Marill" 4 times about halfway through the episode comparison; its English name only has one "R", not two.

Thanks for the heads up! In my defense, the DVD closed captions -- which I turn on to help speed up my dub dialogue transcriptions -- consistently spell its name with two r's.

vlcsnap-2021-04-02-15h36m50s764.png

It should be corrected now.

Antiyonder said:
Never had it myself, but as mentioned one of the other lines of cards in the US actually did refer to Marril as Pikablu (Each card being a Pikachu Summer Vacation shot). So for a time before the episode such assumption was validated.

A similar thing happened in Japan, actually; old magazines back in the day used to mix up Maril's and Bulu's name all the time. Maril would be labled as ブルー while Bulu would be labeled as マリル.

scoop1_medium.png

Japanese fans legitimately thought the new Gold & Silver Water-Type was named "Blue" (since ブルー can be interpreted as "blue" as well) so it seems like nobody knew what the hell this Pokémon was called for a little while there!

Back
Top Bottom