• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

I have a feeling the confetti flying around Rougela in her scenes (and her small, inconsequential appearance in this episode) made it too much of a burden for the animators to recolor her.

I have a feeling the confetti flying around Rougela in her scenes (and her small, inconsequential appearance in this episode) made it too much of a burden for the animators to recolor her.

I doubt that's the reason. "Rougela's Christmas" ("Holiday Hi-Jynx") had effects like this flashback psychic energy veil...thing,

25_black_small.png
25_purple_small.png

...rain,

49_black_small.png
49_purple_small.png

...and snow.

90_black_small.png
90_purple_small.png

"The Ice Cave," meanwhile, had steam,

17_blowing-soup_black_small.png
17_blowing-soup_purple_small.png

...heat,

29_too-hot_black_small.png
29_too-hot_purple_small.png

...and a blizzard.

41_blizzard_black_small.png
41_blizzard_purple_small.png

The confetti we see in "Dance! Pokémon Showboat" ("Stage Fight!") would be a bit of a pain to edit around, sure, but it's not much worse than what they've already done in the past.

I'll bet OLM just never got around to editing the episode I just compared because they forgot and/or ran out of money.

I doubt that's the reason. "Rougela's Christmas" ("Holiday Hi-Jynx") had effects like this flashback psychic energy veil...thing,

25_black_small.png
25_purple_small.png

...rain,

49_black_small.png
49_purple_small.png

...and snow.

90_black_small.png
90_purple_small.png

"The Ice Cave," meanwhile, had steam,

17_blowing-soup_black_small.png
17_blowing-soup_purple_small.png

...heat,

29_too-hot_black_small.png
29_too-hot_purple_small.png

...and a blizzard.

41_blizzard_black_small.png
41_blizzard_purple_small.png

The confetti we see in "Dance! Pokémon Showboat" ("Stage Fight!") would be a bit of a pain to edit around, sure, but it's not much worse than what they've already done in the past.

I'll bet OLM just never got around to editing the episode I just compared because they forgot and/or ran out of money.
Do you think this is a 4kids style paint job or did they go back to the original cels and repainted them there? It gives me up if it's the later for the pokemon company to remaster the series into HD.

I doubt they went back to the original film masters for these; the purple edits are still very obviously standard definition transfers.

My main issue with Rougela, in the anime, is not her appearance.

But the fact that the staff wasted Tanaka Mayumi's talent to voice her.
Her single contribution was saying 'Psycho' when using Psywave.

Recently I have started picturing her as the voice of You/Elio, if he were to appear in any media.

I can't wait for dogasu to cover the mandarin island miss match episode. Such a rabbit hole of info to present in an episode comparison.

Thanks for the episode comparison Dogasu-sensei! I expected a Pokémon episode, but I'm already getting neck deep into Ashita no Joe; and loving it.
You do have a funny way of making old school anime really interesting sensei!

I do appreciate the Japanese dialogs for the episode comparison. Keep those "ビロードウェイ" puns coming!(y)

I suppose. "To stand by the evils of love and truth" (how Bulbapedia translates it) would have been the same number of syllables, though. I guess they thought "denounce" fit the specific lip movements better? Well, I guess it didn't really end up mattering much. But it does stick out to me.
I think it has more to do with 4Kids thinking, since they were the villains, truth and love would be something they were against, not for, and would still see as evil from their point of view for that reason.

My main issue with Rougela, in the anime, is not her appearance.

But the fact that the staff wasted Tanaka Mayumi's talent to voice her.
Her single contribution was saying 'Psycho' when using Psywave.

Ms. Tanaka only voiced Rougela in the Christmas episode; in all subsequent appearances she was voiced by someone else.

snowmint said:
I can't wait for dogasu to cover the mandarin island miss match episode. Such a rabbit hole of info to present in an episode comparison.

I am both looking forward to and absolutely dreading that episode because of just how dense it is, content-wise.

Ms. Tanaka only voiced Rougela in the Christmas episode; in all subsequent appearances she was voiced by someone else.
Yeah, I know. But I added it since someone mentioned that episode.

Seeing a talented seiyuu being wasted like that, it's upsetting.
And even then; her forte are young boys, not Mons.
A Rival, if not a Player-Character, would have been a phenomenal idea.

Indeed, I only just recently found out there was a scene that was only present in the English dub on the very first airing on Kids WB and was cut in every airing afterwards and in all official releases of the episode due to close-ups of Lorelai/Prima's cleavage. I've been trying to find the original dub airing online but to no avail, if anyone on here happens to have recorded it that would be great.

I don't think Cilan is banned from reappearing just because his actor is expensive. If they got Mamoru Miyano for a special that didn't promote upcoming series or games an episode of the current anime wouldn't be a problem. I think it has more to do with Iris having more potential overall.

Kaori's story broke my heart, but at least she seems to have a positive attitude about it. I hope she recovers someday and I'll surely think of her when I hear Watashi Makenai again.

It's Christmas again and I've been wondering why TPCi never bothered syncing up the dub audio to the edited purple Holiday Hi-Jynx (and Mandarin Island Miss Match). Is it laziness or is Jynx itself appearing an issue?

I'm surprised Jynx even continued to appear into AG after all the controversy. Even including it in a major role like May's last Contest episode in Hoenn. Even if it's purple now they would probably want to cut it out of the dub altogether, but probably couldn't as it would create a plot hole where May won her last ribbon from if those eps disappeared. Not that this ever stopped the dub from not airing important eps before like Ash capturing Tauros or the special Dawn's Cyndaquil evolved

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets to the point where future releases of the Hoenn dub just cut out the Jynx eps too, like that filler in Battle Frontier with the 3 Jynx and maybe even cut the 2 Contest episodes with it despite it being important.

I'm also surprised TPCi is okay with Jynx still appearing in a Who's That Pokémon, the Pokérap and a couple Pikachu's Jukebox songs, in its original design at that. Especially since the former two are basically still images which can be easily be Photoshopped.

I'm also surprised TPCi is okay with Jynx still appearing in a Who's That Pokémon, the Pokérap and a couple Pikachu's Jukebox songs, in its original design at that. Especially since the former two are basically still images which can be easily be Photoshopped.
That's actually strange, since it makes the banning of an episode like Stage Fight! seem pointless.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom