• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Dogasu, I'm curious what you would think of Megan Hollingshead's newer takes on Nurse Joy in Pokémon Journeys. It's still distinctly the same voice, but I noticed that the performance came off a lot softer and more subdued overall – in a good way; she doesn't over-inflect anywhere near as many lines as she did back in the 4Kids days. I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but it might be worth checking out.
That's interesting because the new Shaman King series (dubbed by Netflix) got back as much of the 4Kids cast as were seemingly willing to come back, including Megan Hollingshead, and you can kind of tell the difference between the returning 4Kids cast and the new cast members based on who's doing overacting cartoon voices versus taking a more natural approach. Still, the 4Kids actors are a lot more subdued than they were in the actual 4Kids dub, and having more mature dialogue probably helps a lot there too.

It's especially weird with characters like Jun, who's played by Lisa Ortiz in both dubs, but put on a terrible English dialect in the 4Kids version as part of their general reversioning of Ren's family. She mostly drops the accent in the Netflix dub, but there's still hints of it. I imagine it's harder for the returning actors to not slip into the 4Kids direction mode whereas the new actors are more of a blank slate with their characters.

It's not "absurd" at all considering how little respect Toei have for their own franchises, so I can absolutely believe they wouldn't have a problem letting it get butchered for network TV out of desperation to have another US hit like DBZ.

People just have such an insane hatred for 4Kids that they want to believe every single bad thing they hear about them no matter how little sense it makes.
What you said is kinda ironic, isn't it?

Dogasu said:
I still, for the life of me, cannot figure out why this didn't actually happen. Why didn't Nintendo have this ready in time? How are we nearly five years into the system's lifecycle and we still don't have a Game Boy Virtual Console on the Nintendo Switch?
I feel the same way.

That's interesting because the new Shaman King series (dubbed by Netflix) got back as much of the 4Kids cast as were seemingly willing to come back, including Megan Hollingshead, and you can kind of tell the difference between the returning 4Kids cast and the new cast members based on who's doing overacting cartoon voices versus taking a more natural approach. Still, the 4Kids actors are a lot more subdued than they were in the actual 4Kids dub, and having more mature dialogue probably helps a lot there too.

It's especially weird with characters like Jun, who's played by Lisa Ortiz in both dubs, but put on a terrible English dialect in the 4Kids version as part of their general reversioning of Ren's family. She mostly drops the accent in the Netflix dub, but there's still hints of it. I imagine it's harder for the returning actors to not slip into the 4Kids direction mode whereas the new actors are more of a blank slate with their characters.
The epic twenty year wait was worth it though!

So the third Pikachu short is still banned in Japan, I see. I actually thought of a crazy workaround for that a while back.
The Japanese DVDs for the first three movies have an option to use English audio with Japanese subtitles, right?
So technically, they could re-release the English dubbed version of that short in Japan with the Japanese subtitle translation they made.

Oughtta be interesting seeing how things go with this year's predictions. ;)

I think the anime will do something for the 25th anniversary in April. What are the chances another set of specials debut on Amazon but this time for Kanto Misty and Brock? I wonder if the Arceus specials proved successful enough to do more but for the different eras of the show.

So technically, they could re-release the English dubbed version of that short in Japan with the Japanese subtitle translation they made
That would just make the short even more noticeable, they probably just want to pretend it never existed. The day it will be publicly available again is probably only once the copyright expires one century from now.

That would just make the short even more noticeable, they probably just want to pretend it never existed. The day it will be publicly available again is probably only once the copyright expires one century from now.
I don't see why they can't just replace the narrator for the short and then re-release it, that's what SEGA did for that Yakuza spin-off "Judgement" when the lead VA got busted for drugs, Sega didn't pretend the game didn't exist or ban it, they just recalled it from store shelves and brought in a new VA to voice the main character and then re-released it(thankfully that didn't affect the games release in the west).

I don't see why they can't just replace the narrator for the short and then re-release it, that's what SEGA did for that Yakuza spin-off "Judgement" when the lead VA got busted for drugs, Sega didn't pretend the game didn't exist or ban it, they just recalled it from store shelves and brought in a new VA to voice the main character and then re-released it(thankfully that didn't affect the games release in the west).
That same VA also originally voiced Olaf in the Japanese dub of Frozen and in Kingdom Hearts III. Frozen also got pulled off of store shelves temporarily in Japan because of this but was later reissued with a redubbed Olaf voice, and said Olaf voice was also patched into later versions of Kingdom Hearts III.

Though Frozen is of course super popular worldwide and also had an upcoming sequel at the time, so I suppose in Frozen's case, pretending it never existed was always out of the question.

That same VA also originally voiced Olaf in the Japanese dub of Frozen and in Kingdom Hearts III. Frozen also got pulled off of store shelves temporarily in Japan because of this but was later reissued with a redubbed Olaf voice, and said Olaf voice was also patched into later versions of Kingdom Hearts III.

Though Frozen is of course super popular worldwide and also had an upcoming sequel at the time, so I suppose in Frozen's case, pretending it never existed was always out of the question.
Wow that's interesting! I guess Sho-Pro figured since it's a short it's not worth the hassle to hire someone else to re-record all of her dialogue. Honestly I think that short plays out better without narration anyways, it was nice to see a piece of Pokemon media where we just focus on the Pokemon without any human voices for once.

Sho-Pro is also doing some BS Mafia-style tactics by suing Youtuber "Suede"(best known for his "Pokemon Journey's" series which is sort of abridged-style content) in court and completely circumventing Youtube's own copy-right and counter-notification system and thus making it so that it's essentially impossible for him to fight(As unlike Totally Not Mark who went through something similar, he's not big enough to be able to get Youtube's attention and get his videos geo-blocked in Japan to avoid all of this)as the fee is just expensive enough that it would damage his livelihood, it's almost impossible for him to win the case due to fair use being basically non-existent in Japan and the worst part is other anime companies could do this to other Youtubers at any time. This is chilling and disgusting over-reach and awareness needs to be given.

Since Dogasu is a pretty big figure in the Pokemon community I thought i'd let him about know this and see if he could possibly raise awareness of what's going on and maybe see if there's anything he can do to help, full video from Suede on what's going on:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6uH71BdMBA

Why is there no insider working on the anime trying to fight to get the narration redubbed or something?

Since Dogasu is a pretty big figure in the Pokemon community I thought i'd let him about know this and see if he could possibly raise awareness of what's going on and maybe see if there's anything he can do to help, full video from Suede on what's going on:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6uH71BdMBA
What can Dogasu do? Yes, he is an influential figure, but only in the Fandom, he doesn't work for TPC. If Japanese copyright laws work this way, I can't see how anyone can do anything about it without changing the law itself.

What can Dogasu do? Yes, he is an influential figure, but only in the Fandom, he doesn't work for TPC. If Japanese copyright laws work this way, I can't see how anyone can do anything about it without changing the law itself.
Even just raising awareness of what was going on would be helpful, maybe through an update post on the website.

Even just raising awareness of what was going on would be helpful, maybe through an update post on the website.
I don't think what would be (at most) few hundred western fans making a fuss would sway a huge Japanese corporation like ShoPro. Especially since as far as their home country is concerned, they're completely in the right legally.

I don't think what would be (at most) few hundred western fans making a fuss would sway a huge Japanese corporation like ShoPro. Especially since as far as their home country is concerned, they're completely in the right legally.
Even if they are in the right legally that still does not mean we should take this lying down and let them get away with it, if they do this who knows how far they'll go? Maybe they'll even start targeting Pokemon fansites like Dogasu's Backpack next? Sho-Pro are greedy and malicious bastards and I wouldn't put anything past them at this point.

Dogasu isn't a youtuber, they only care about people splicing scenes of the anime episodes into their videos. Serebii.net still has full pictures of every episode on his site and they haven't told Serebii Joe to take down his episode pictures for example.

Dogasu isn't a youtuber, they only care about people splicing scenes of the anime episodes into their videos. Serebii.net still has full pictures of every episode on his site and they haven't told Serebii Joe to take down his episode pictures for example.
Not yet, but with the way Sho-Pro is going now I wouldn't be surprised if they start trying to do exactly that.

Back
Top Bottom