• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Wasn't Suzanne goldish (sonic x Chris, 4kids alumni) the voice director of the sailor moon dub? It would explain ALOT.
Yes, in fact, Goldish is the voice director for the Viz Media dub of Sailor Moon. That said, they got Jimmy Neutron's VA in this dub, from a Western cartoon- shocker & Johnny Yong Bosch (Ichigo in the Bleach dub), interesting:

(Some people actually liked the Sonic X dub VA performances oddly, but for me, definitely not though- I thought it was some of the worse work for the 4Kids' VA pool in NYC tbh)

Anyway not to get off topic, to get us back to the focus, I didn't think this particular change was too bad personally:

Mikeosu: "Hear ye, hear ye! The legends of our Ougonkan Island says that a Lord Nyarth will appear on a night of a bone-white moon! That Nyarth will become the Great Nyarth of Happiness and grant us true happiness! Tonight is, without a doubt, that night of the bone-white moon. In other words, tonight is the night we will know true happiness!"Acolyte: "Hear me! Tonight is the night we have long awaited, the night we finally see the ancient prophecy fulfilled. Our ancestors foretold of the night of a bone-white moon when the Great Meowth of Bounty will bestow great wealth upon us. That night has come and now we await the Great Meowth's arrival."

It seems close enough, relative to others.

There is also the Eternal two part film on Netflix for Sailor Moon however despite having mostly the same voice cast as the VIZ/Studiopolis dub with one exception, both the dubbing studio and voice director changes with VSI Los Angeles and Todd Haberkorn now at the helm.

There is also the Eternal two part film on Netflix for Sailor Moon however despite having mostly the same voice cast as the VIZ/Studiopolis dub with one exception, both the dubbing studio and voice director changes with VSI Los Angeles and Todd Haberkorn now at the helm.
Fascinating, definitely will check that one out.

I find it odd VSI Los Angeles got Stuart out of retirement again (save English dub Kaiba in DSOD, this was his most recent role/credit), for Shaman King '21, he actually sounded a lot better as Marco than he did in the '03 dub IMO. They got Taylor as well, but she's still fairly active in the VA circuit relative to the other principal old 4Kids cast members.

It was bizzare Racheal Lillis didn't return for Pilika in the shaman king reboot.

It was bizzare Racheal Lillis didn't return for Pilika in the shaman king reboot.
I agree, especially since they have Lillis doing the Hunter x Hunter dub for Bang Zoom in the same area, was odd (believe it or not, to keep it back to Pokemon relevance here, they still also use her iconic voice through archival footage for Jigglypuff in the Movie Detective Pikachu to this day & also in the Smash games- trivia for everyone here).

On that note, looking forward to seeing the reviews for EP098 & 99 in the dub, apparently another roller-coaster ride coming.

Last edited:
I think so, likely it was for the parents they slipped this random old cartoon reference stuff in IMO. On the one hand, it’s nonsense they did it objectively, but on the other hand discovering these random references to other shows and such (I think the dub of Shaman King they did in 2003 referenced Speed Racer one time introducing Horohoro— not even kidding) is oddly fascinating nonetheless. Just the thought process here, why and yet…to keep the parents interested, I guess?

No, I mean I'm pretty sure that thanks to say CN and even Nickelodeon airing occasional oldies that kids of the late 90s/early 2000s did watch classics.

Heck I know that as of midnights at times that Speed Racer ran on CN.

Heck even as classics were phased out aside from Scooby-Doo or Tom & Jerry, Captain Planet aired regularly in the morning.

No, I mean I'm pretty sure that thanks to say CN and even Nickelodeon airing occasional oldies that kids of the late 90s/early 2000s did watch classics.

Heck even as classics were phased out aside from Scooby-Doo or Tom & Jerry, Captain Planet aired regularly in the morning.
Captain Planet also aired on sunday afternoons as that's when I remember seeing it as a kid when visiting my grandmothers house(she had cable and we didn't).

Also when it comes to referencing older things for the parents or even fans of an older age (I was near the end of my teen years as I caught the show in 99), that is likely why modern shows have video game sound effects from the days of Atari 2600 and the Nintendo Entertainment System.

But to be fair, music and sounds from a modern game can at times be hard to distinguish from say a show or a movie.

As such it kind of fits to go with the Pre-2000 vid game stuff.

Also when it comes to referencing older things for the parents or even fans of an older age (I was near the end of my teen years as I caught the show in 99), that is likely why modern shows have video game sound effects from the days of Atari 2600 and the Nintendo Entertainment System.

But to be fair, music and sounds from a modern game can at times be hard to distinguish from say a show or a movie.

As such it kind of fits to go with the Pre-2000 vid game stuff.
Even when shows and films actually show gameplay from retro games they can mess things up, like one of the deleted scenes from Homeward Bound the Incredible Journey shows two of the kids playing the NES game StarTropics which is a one-player game, which I found amusing.

Even when shows and films actually show gameplay from retro games they can mess things up, like one of the deleted scenes from Homeward Bound the Incredible Journey shows two of the kids playing the NES game StarTropics which is a one-player game, which I found amusing.
And also the way characters press buttons to make it seem like they're playing a game (such as The Wizard). Thanks to an AVGN episode we can label such as "Winter Gaming"XD.

Not everyone had access to cable TV back in the late 1990s / early 2000s.

"Objectively" doesn't imply that at all.

I used the word "objectively" because, as I stated in the sentence preceding it, the episode was extremely unfaithful to its source material. Whether or not you don't mind (or even prefer) the changes 4Kids does to make it so unfaithful is another matter entirely.

With all due respect, aren't you kinda letting your bias in here? You said this episode script was extremely unfaithful and yet several lines you listed are the exact same meaning yet worded slightly differently - "I couldn't live without X / X is more important to me than my life", "Nyarth can talk so it's the Great Nyarth/ Of course Great Meowth can do great things" are adaptions I could easily see in more 'faithful' dubs. Tracey saying he "sees rocks" doesn't add or remove any information from the Japanese version - probably just filler for lipflap. Why even bring it up? Even a handful of things that objectively are changes are fixated on way too much for how completely harmless they are - the Popeye reference works on its own as a silly little line without knowing the source (weather it lands is debatable) and ref must have reached it's target audience if you yourself recognized it? And even some genuine changes are framed as worse than they actually are ["Meowth wants to KILL THINGS"] just... because?

Not everyone had access to cable TV back in the late 1990s / early 2000s.

I'm sure not every child in japan knew what Revolutionary Girl Utena was, but Pokemon got to reference that anyway, yeah?

And don't get me wrong - there are a lot of changes in this episode, cultural things that couldn't be/just plain were not translated, the overall message of the episode was somewhat altered, and sometimes the dub is just plain wrong. And by all means, tell us! Dislike it! Criticize it! This is the company that turned a rolling riceball into a rolling sandwich and... all the stuff in Ep 26, for example, there's plenty to pick apart. But it feels like in recent years that you just dislike the company so much that you're reaching for straws when there are already straws available.

@Actual Raccoon
I think you maybe have the wrong idea about what my episode comparisons actually are. They aren't "here's all the problems Dogasu has with the dub, isn't it just the worst?" No, a Dogasu's Backpack comparison is "here's what's different between the Japanese and English versions of the show." That's it! Sometimes those differences are big (the message given to the islanders at the end of the episode), sometimes those differences are small (i.e. Tracey saying he "sees rocks"), but they're differences nonetheless. And so that's why I bring them up, even the seemingly insignificant ones.

Also, the "Meowth wants to KILL THINGS" was clearly a joke LOL.

Re: dated references. The Japanese version does pay tribute to older TV shows, yes (though Utena is maybe not the best example of this since that show was still very much airing new episodes at the time). But there's a difference between the original version of a show having nods to other shows baked into its episodes and a foreign dub shoehorning them into otherwise unrelated conversations.

I think they were referencing the utena homages in in the sun and moon stage play episode. I'm glad you are revealing alot of changes between the sub and dub of pokemon though. I eagerly await your thoughts on the prima episode

I think they were referencing the utena homages in in the sun and moon stage play episode. I'm glad you are revealing alot of changes between the sub and dub of pokemon though. I eagerly await your thoughts on the prima episode
I'm actually glad he does, too, it's nice to know which episodes and Movies were handled better and decently vs. others (EP095 & 98 appear to be vs EP096 & 99 as examples), what was changed + why, etc. etc. so if I ever go back and re-watch the English dub I'll know what to avoid and what to take a look at again.

His Diancie (M17) Review had me laughing the most, to date, I had the exact same frustration at the time.

I truly never realized the pokemon dub is still a mess since the beginning. We were just super lucky they kept some of the Japanese OST.

I truly never realized the pokemon dub is still a mess since the beginning. We were just super lucky they kept some of the Japanese OST.
I wouldn’t say that at all, but it was always absolutely flawed. They did to be fair, actually keep most of the Japanese OST for the first three seasons and Season 14, as well (they kept some/a decent chunk for the rest of the 4Kids run and TPCi’s run pre XY, but it’s almost down to none since Journeys in particular that said, this aspect has been hit the hardest in recent years). The script quality has varied throughout the course of the dub otoh (Dogasu’s apparently going to go into that, there’s some days the script adaptations are genuinely decent-good but some days it’s just outright bad). It’s actually a better dub than most anything DiC, Saban, or Nelvana put out, as well as 4Kids themselves with every other property they touched (may not be saying much, but still true), and also better than FUNi’s DBZ pre Orange Bricks when they put the OST back in— as well as Cloverway SM in almost every aspect save unneeded censorship too.

And I will say at least Movies 4-8 and Movies 9-16, 21-pres (17-20 was an even lower point for me with the dub Movies than 1-3 since we are literally now in an Era where most dub films don’t touch music) keep the OST as well, to be fair. Also, I think the VAs are genuinely talented they hired for it, particularly the former English dub cast has some fairly iconic memorable performances at their best that many still prefer over other several current incarnations to this day.

Last edited:
@Dogasu and/or anyone who mostly watch the Japanese version.

Between the talk of references, and well cause I've been playing through several titles recently revived recently.... Any occasions of the name giving a nod to Dragon Quest (originally Dragon Warrior in the US)?

Just cause of the early games partially influencing the Pokémon franchise (Digital Devil Monogatari: Megami Tensei being one prior to DQ IV and V mind you).

4Kids actually kept more of the background music then TCPI ever has(at least in the show, strange how they don't replace the OST in the movies yet they do it with the show) which is weird to think of considering 4Kids totally replaced the soundtrack of every other show they dubbed. Guess they didn't have the budget to replace all of the music with Pokemon since it was their first time dubbing anime.

Back
Top Bottom