• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

LOL damn thank fuck my parents barely paid any attention at all to what I was watching as a kid so they never tried to take my cards away, both my parents are religious but they weren't like the crazy wackos you heard about in the news that wanted to burn Harry Potter books for "promoting witchcraft" or nonsense like that(though some of their friends believed in that nonsense).

Well, they were alright with Harry Potter since it didn't have anything that could set their alarms. YGO, meanwhile, was full of them. And I thank God censorship got to the things they didn't notice like the Harpie Ladies...

I don't have much to say about the comparison for this one other than pointing out how ironic it is that despite 4Kids habitually adding so many puns that didn't exist in the Japanese script, when it comes to the actual puns that did exist, with a few exceptions they just get replaced with something much more generic. "Bugs really bug me" would have been a pretty straightforward way to handle Misty's "mushi wa mushi" (and I know 4Kids has used similar turns of phrase in the past), "MUSASHI STRIKES BACK!" could have been replaced with a pun on "scythe" and/or "Scyther" (even "I'm gonna scythe that Scyther!" could have worked) and while I can't think of one at the moment I feel like there has to be a verb that refers to cutting something that could have been used as a pun on "praying mantis".

Other than that, I wonder if "a Caterpie" was because of the translator and/or script adapter not referencing the footage for that part (I know sometimes singular and plural forms can be hard to distinguish without context in Japanese). I'm sad that they replaced the line where Misty calls Tracey's Scyther a grandpa; that was cute. But I don't think Oak's "and then it was captured by you" was meant to be an intentional burn; that just seems like it was worded awkwardly with the passive voice (and no, the fact that it's being used by me right now is not being lost on me).

Last edited:
Maybe someone on the show staff already hated Tracy cause they liked Brock betterXD.

Maybe someone on the show staff already hated Tracy cause they liked Brock betterXD.
I wouldn't blame them if so. The real reason they tried to replace Brock with Tracey (Dogasu talked about it in his episode 83 comparison) is just sad.

4kids definitely wanted the original trio to stick together. Even during AG they put a lot of references to Misty (Ash giving her a reference during the Jirachi movie) that wasn't in the original. I also recall Veronica Taylor saying she felt sorry for Rachael Lilis since she lost a main character role and only played Jessie after that.

There's also the infamous Mastermind special which brought Misty back too which probably wouldn't have happened otherwise. I get the feeling the reason they also had Veronica voice May instead of someone new is because they assumed May would be a short lived character like Tracey and that Misty would eventually return. I think a lot of people just have forgotten over the years there was a huge expectation for Misty to return to the cast after Hoenn ended, back then people didn't believe she would stay off the cast for good.

Just goes to show how little they cared about Tracey even back then (poor dope)...

Just goes to show how little they cared about Tracey even back then (poor dope)...

Alternatively back when Dogasu reviewed Machoke, Machoke Man, I joked while seriously considering that some people on the game and anime were trailblazers for those who are strictly Gen 1 fans :LOL: .

You know like some of the newer Pokémon exclusive to the Post Game and in Kanto. Or even in cases like with Chuck how there were Johto Pokémon that could be used, but they went with the Kanto Mons.

Well, Chuck also had that issue in the games... Same with Morty and Falkner (I find Bugsy's case justifiable). I wonder why they didn't try to fix both Morty and Chuck's issues in the anime...

That short piano piece that played when Musashi was dramatizing over her cut hair hasn't been released before.

To answer Dogasu's question on the main page as to whether or not i'd like more comparisons between the post-Porygon edited and original versions of the first 37 Pokemon episodes, hell yes! It's interesting how 4Kids actually got a few of the pre-Porygon versions of those episodes.

I wonder if 4kids actually edited the post Porygon eps as well with additional slowing down and dimming.

Comparisons for the Legend of Arceus "movie".

And a gripe I relate to for a different show.

odes take place in the Kanto Region so I guess "completely missing the point" is just normal for the staff at this point.

Takeshi's in this special, which is nice in a "reuniting the old Diamond & Pearl gang" kind of way, but why is he only just now making it onto the show? Pocket Monsters (2019) is, again, a series set in "all the regions" and his voice actor Yuji Ueda's is still a regular on the show (he's the voice of the Rocket trio's Sonansu, among others) so it's not like they couldn't have found a way to make it work. He should be a recurring character, no?

Power Rangers Super Megaforce. Our Gokaiger if you will. The big anniversary team up being grand was maybe a pipe dream. But could have been better. Especially cause some money was spent on say filler with the Alpha Five knockoff.

Newly filmed footage of the team morphing into their Megaforce (Goseiger) suits to play the Gokaiger costumes as merely an upgrade, only to skip the middle man later.

Despite keeping in Pre-Zyuranger suits omitted a Jetman change for a newly filmed scene. Not even for a PR team that they underused, but for another Wild Force/Gaoranger change. Never had a full Time Force/Timeranger change.

And the heart of the matter. Lack of a Ranger to represent a series tribute. Could have had the episodes before the ending giving the Disney Era Rangers more time. Only Jungle Fury got that and cause an actor directed it.

Sure you could say that even some New Zealand actors might have moved on, but? Nope. Grumm's Rene Naufahu played Mentor Ji in Samurai and plenty of Disney Era cast members still showed up in New roles from Samurai to Ninja Steel.

A monster of the day in Super Megaforce was voiced by Nic Sampson. Played Chip Thorn/Mystic Force Yellow (Magiyellow) and voiced the Sentinel Knight in Operation Overdrive (Zubaan in Boukenger).

Can't even say that PR's main audience is for kids. The guest stars they ironically got for a low rate cameo were from the Pre-Disney days and even if kids brushed up on PR season via streaming, they clearly were aiming for adults with the casting.

January 21st to September 23rd is actually just 8 months.

I don't have a problem with the "Pocket Monsters" term being ignored, it would sound ackward in other languages. In Latin America I don't think it has ever been mentioned (though "Mounstros de bolsillo" is used in non-official press all the time).

As I said before the change from miniseries to movie didn't harm the story besides episode 1 feeling more disconnected from everything, but it's still a weird choice as Netflix usually prefers series. Maybe they didn't want to go through the trouble of labelling it as a season.

Great comparisons as always, Dogasu.

Seeing Mizayaki credited as the show’s sole composer in the dub’s opening still irks me. It’s been an issue since DuArt took control of dubbing so it’s not a translator oversight.

Seeing Mizayaki credited as the show’s sole composer in the dub’s opening still irks me. It’s been an issue since DuArt took control of dubbing so it’s not a translator oversight.
I can't speak for previous series, but certain Asian dubs of Journeys such as the Korean and Thai dubs which don't ever replace the soundtrack (except for the opening and ending theme songs) have the exact same English translations of the opening and ending credits that the English dub uses (yes, the credits for some of the Asian dubs are in English). So with that in mind, it's likely that the credits translations are provided at least in part by OLM or Asian TPC staff rather than DuArt, Iyuno-SDI or TPCi themselves.

^Narrator talks about Team Galactic's story in DP^

"There was also this badass Pokemon hunter in a cool outfit that help them out."

Also hilarious to me is how Junsar just kind of arrives on the scene in a helicopter, essentially tells Shirona and the others to deal with this giant kaiju themselves, and then nopes the hell out of there. You'd think the Pokémon equivalent of the police would notice the giant fire monster rampaging throughout the region and immediately mobilize a force to try to put a stop to it instead of sending out a single helicopter to just kind of check things out a bit, but apparently not!

It's a public secret the Jennies are obsolete these days in favor of game characters helping Ash-tachii out. It's ridiculous and impractical, but...I kind of like it. I'd MUCH rather see characters from the Game pitch in instead of a tired running gag of a minor character. :p

Back
Top Bottom