• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Doki Doki Battling Club - Halloween 2023 Event Feedback & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting that "In some respects, this is perhaps the most successful event we've had in at least a decade." reeks of overconfidence, the kind of which I haven't heard since such hit memes like "This product is not for you" and "Do you guys not have phones?".

It seems that whoever went and restored the style chooser also revived the April Fools 2019 style by mistake. (How fitting...) However, I guess that's a zombie too, because it's identical to Bulbagarden Classic except for the "members online" section being borked. Please put the style back to rest.
(This was fun as a curiosity to mention in status posts a day ago, but now I'm concerned no one has noticed. And it's not like we lose anything if it does get fixed.) (More specifically, the online staff segment is duplicated and the followers heading is always present even when no online user qualifies.)

Screenshot 2023-11-01 11.32.52 PM.png Screenshot 2023-11-01 11.36.48 PM.png

The minute CheerHeartDream returns to this forum, some staff member needs to give her a personal apology. This thread existing is not good enough; it'll probably be archived by that point. It must be clear to everyone who was active during part one but absent during part two of these events. That's the price you pay when you try to hold up a facade for a month.

(I'm surprised "pull some members out" is actually gaining traction.)

References are great. References are funny. But if the hints here were just references to Doki Doki Literature Club, then staff bombed it. The story should make sense even if the references don't land. I think DDLC is on my "avoid" list now. That's a club so exclusive even notorious, money-swindling failures like Mighty No. 9 don't land there. Thanks for the negative memories!

Posting that "In some respects, this is perhaps the most successful event we've had in at least a decade." reeks of overconfidence, the kind of which I haven't heard since such hit memes like "This product is not for you" and "Do you guys not have phones?"
Ngl as much as I also hated the event, posting stuff like this only causes more drama, not solves it. It’s quite clear from multiple staff members posting they took it as a learning experience and want to make amends, so going “it isn’t enough” isn’t gonna help. Colours already admitted that for some of the people here the staff may never regain their goodwill with those people, and step 1 of making any mistake better is to acknowledge the mistake in the first place.

Ngl as much as I also hated the event, posting stuff like this only causes more drama, not solves it. It’s quite clear from multiple staff members posting they took it as a learning experience and want to make amends, so going “it isn’t enough” isn’t gonna help. Colours already admitted that for some of the people here the staff may never regain their goodwill with those people, and step 1 of making any mistake better is to acknowledge the mistake in the first place.
I will point out Archaic never addressed it as a learning experience or wanting to make amends. Instead blaming the users for not knowing how to avoid the "event".

I will point out Archaic never addressed it as a learning experience or wanting to make amends. Instead blaming the users for not knowing how to avoid the "event".
But the other staff users very much showed that, and making passive agressive comments doesn’t help anything in the end of the day.

But the other staff users very much showed that, and making passive agressive comments doesn’t help anything in the end of the day.
I second that. There are at least 5 pages of feedback for everyone to read through. I think we've beaten the dead horse enough times at this point. Last thing I want to see are people basically asking the mods to figuratively lay down on the ground so they can trample over them until they are satisfied. The mods are people too, and I acknowledge that they've seen the errors of their ways, so I'd be willing to give them a second chance.

I made this account only a few days ago, so I trusted most other people in terms of this “ai.”
I was genuinely confused because I was missing a lot of prior context, and I have close to absolutely no experience with ai whatsoever.

In hindsight, I will participate in something like this next time, because I’m going to have a better understanding of what’s going on.

Edit: i didn’t see the above posts when making this, and I fully agree with them. I’m just putting my opinion (does my wording sound weird?)

Last edited:
ok, might as well get my full thoughts out now since the thread will be archived soon.

i’m super conflicted on this. i wasn’t here during the entirety of the event, but when i returned i just thought, “oh hey, the devs are just beta testing an ai assistant, that’s neat!” then everything went sideways. i was one of the people who was really confused as to what was going on during the “resurrection” (even though i admittedly wasn’t as vocal about it as most people). looking back on it now, it just feels like an attempt to do something fun gone wrong.

the worst part is that had there been better communication, straightforwardness, etc. this could’ve been so much better. but the damage has already been done. some people won’t trust the mods again, and to be honest, i’m gonna have a tougher time trusting ya’ll again as well. but with time, i’m sure these wounds will eventually heal.

stay safe ya’ll.

I really, really did not want to post here, and I'm not going to post here again after this nor am I going to read up on what was said as an emotionally volatile person. Maybe this sounds more like me pleading with you all, but I hope it's not entirely coming off that way. I was only moved to post because I am a very frail person, and my body reacts very negatively to stress in various ways due to my condition I won't disclose, but I had to put my thoughts here so my soul would find some rest and I could hopefully reverse some of my sickness I'm getting physically, if not because my own guilt is eating me.

Though I was very lightly involved in the event's construction and the event as a whole, I already expressed to my fellow staff that my fault laid with having concerns regarding the event that I did not voice aloud due to not having plans as ambitious nor creative as this one. And though I was very lightly involved, I extend my own apology to those affected as well, however, please understand I and other staff are just as human as you, and we are reflecting and taking this very seriously and do want to do our best to make our reflection known. We'll do better, we'll communicate, we'll find ways to create fun for you guys that are proper and kind to you, we'll continue working hard and doing what we can. In the future I'll do my best to voice my own concerns behind the scenes with everyone so we can make sure this doesn't happen again.

You're well within your rights to not forgive us right away or ever if you want, but I hope it is clear that maliciousness was never anyone's intention.

Last thing I want to see are people basically asking the mods to figuratively lay down on the ground so they can trample over them until they are satisfied.
Thank you, I think it's ultimately unhealthy if we all go in circles about this, as we all have apologized to the best of our abilities, I would very, very much appreciate if the anger subsides personally. Like I said, you don't have to forgive us at all, but if this anger perpetuates any longer, I fear I may have to see my way out, as I am both a frail and fragile person and the intensity of the response of this is a bit too much for me to bear.

From the bottom of my heart I am sorry to have hurt you all even with my minimal involvement I was still part of an intrinsic whole. I hope you can find it in your own heart to take some peace in these words. All I want to do is draw and continue to provide projects that make this place a happy and safe one, and I am sorry I failed you.

Please do not respond to this, or reply to me about this. I'm not going to disclose the physical sickness that's come to me because of this, but just know I'm not in a place to speak of this any longer, but I am still wishing you all the best. I hope we can all move forward. That's all.

Some of this should have been obvious in hindsight. For instance, if a LLM really got access to the spam posts, it wouldn't be posting Korean propaganda, it would instead be advertising online gambling, VPNs, cannabis, SEO, and penis enlargement pills. Truly though, it's actually hilarious that a Bulbagarden staff member posted that propaganda given the petty shit people have been banned over before.

Imma be honest, I liked this event. Sure, some things coulda gone a little better all things considered, and things may have gotten a little heated regarding it (gonna sweep that part under the rug though I don't wanna spark anything already smoothed out), but I kind of feel bad for the mods? I don't know, they tried something fun that didn't quite work out, and I get the fact that not many people were very happy about what's happened, but like Blanc said, I just hope we can move beyond this and hopefully amends will be made soon. We are all human, we learn from mistakes, and what to do better, and I don't want the mods to get berated too hard. Feelings matter, and some people are more fragile than we think. Just try to be careful when confronting any of them about it. That's my two cents on the matter at least. (sorry in advance if I accidentally said anything upsetting or started something up again, just voicing my own personal stand on the matter, i swear I don't mean too '^^)

Last edited:
yeah i think some people are definitely way to vitriolic about this. i may have come off as cold to staff in my previous assessment post, but i really do not think they deserve it, nor that anything they did is unforgivable. i think calling it sick or whatever is hyperbolic. it was an ambitious event that got out of control and had plenty of mistakes. it seems pretty clear that they're accepting the feedback, even if not every single member is necessarily offering a comment, which i don't really think they're obligated to. i heavily agree with Herbizarre's comment that was quoted above in Blanc's post.

I feel as though I should clarify. This event was not malicious. This event was not sadistic. Both of those terms require intention that has been demonstrably proven false by this thread. (The "Disable Nemona" function was malicious, however.) But if we go through dictionary definitions of "sick", this event does follow those terms.
Merriam-Webster
highly distasteful
Britannica
relating to very unpleasant or offensive things
Collins
If you describe something such as a joke or story as sick, you mean that it deals with death or suffering in an unpleasantly humorous way.
Cambridge
cruel or offensive
I would describe this event as distasteful, and unpleasant, and offensive, and cruel. ("Cruel" being in the "causes pain" way, not the "person intending to cause pain" way)

that's a good question actually, I wasn't sure exactly when myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom