• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Notice Don't be a jerk (and what "being a jerk" means)

Fig

Reaction score
When you post as a member here, you are expected to act with civility ; that is to say, to respect your fellow users.

Contrary to what many internet sites would have you believe, "respect" is not just "No insult and no calling out". These aren't even the most important part of respect (and in many ways, calling someone out for their bullshit is more respectful (and certainly more honest) than pretending you're fine with the way they treat you. They're still not allowed here, but they're far from the worst behavior imaginable.

Respect means treating the other as a worthy equal, whose post represent his or her honest and legitimate opinions. Among other things that are NOT respectful:

-Acting like your opinion is the only valid, legitimate opinion and an established fact.
-Pretending to speak for a large group of people, or that your post represent the opinion of anyone other than yourself.
-Nitpicking details from another person's post rather than addressing the actual point.
-Treating the other poster as if they were acting in bad faith (acting like you know their motivations better than they do, or like they are lying about them).
-Using old posts from other threads in an attempt to find contradictions in a person's view (or to dismiss their views).
-Gloating when a person concede a point (including drawing attention to the concession), or drop a topic.
-Deliberately misrepresenting their views or posts (or misrepresenting their views in a way that make it clear you are treating them in bad faith).
-Using hyperbole, insults and bashing (of the thing you don't like) when expressing how much you dislike (or, to a lesser degree, like) something.

Of course, we don't expect people to be *perfect* in that regard. Discussions get heated, words get exchanged - because we all care about what we believe. But what we expect is people to make an effort. Withdraw from discussions that get heated, take breaks, and *try*. While we won't punish people for occasional slip, we will ask people who routinely act like that to tone it down (whether to one specific user, or all of them). If they don't, we will treat that as baiting other users.

NOTE: Staff member, as part of enforcing the rules, moderating discussions, and carrying out their other staff duties, will sometime have to break one or more of those (much like the police get to break the rules against using violence in the process of arresting people or preventing crime). They can only do so in those circumstances.

(Putting a copy of this thread from announcement up here, for obvious reasons)

Don't mean to sound like an ass but isn't this common knowledge? Genuinely curious if this is a prelavent phenomenon in the forums because outside of a few isolated incidents, I never see a lot of rude posts. Cringe worthy yes, but nothing out of the ordinary

Don't mean to sound like an ass but isn't this common knowledge? Genuinely curious if this is a prelavent phenomenon in the forums because outside of a few isolated incidents, I never see a lot of rude posts. Cringe worthy yes, but nothing out of the ordinary
It has been an issue for many years, without including the rest of the internet. Flaming and Baiting is probably our most used infraction. Sadly, what may seem to be common knowledge is not so common for everyone. There are many people, young and hold, who get in front of a screen and lose any sort of decensy.

I am trying to do better with my posts. I have been more open to ideas like gen 6.5. In the No Pokemon Z thread, I made sure my posts were decent and on topic but I guess that didn't matter anyway. I will do my best to post decently.

Hey, @Alexander, it's fine to dislike Gen VII for one reason or another, you just gotta be reasonable when you say it. So long as you're following what's at the top post of this thread then you should be fine stating your personal opinion - no need to change your stance just for the sake of "decent posts". (That's the keyword here, guys - personal opinion. That being said, I'm sure we don't want personal attacks after what happened...)

I'm sure I gave people some crap during the No Pokémon Z thread, so to that, I'm calling the kettle black. I'm sure there's a better way to describe it than that, come on now...

It has been an issue for many years, without including the rest of the internet. Flaming and Baiting is probably our most used infraction. Sadly, what may seem to be common knowledge is not so common for everyone. There are many people, young and hold, who get in front of a screen and lose any sort of decensy.
Oh crap, they're on to ME...
Uhhhh....
SMOKE BOMB!!!

*runs away*

Contrary to what many internet sites would have you believe, "respect" is not just "No insult and no calling out". These aren't even the most important part of respect (and in many ways, calling someone out for their bullshit is more respectful (and certainly more honest) than pretending you're fine with the way they treat you. They're still not allowed here, but they're far from the worst behavior imaginable.

Respect means treating the other as a worthy equal, whose post represent his or her honest and legitimate opinions. Among other things that are NOT respectful:

-Acting like your opinion is the only valid, legitimate opinion and an established fact.
-Pretending to speak for a large group of people, or that your post represent the opinion of anyone other than yourself.
-Nitpicking details from another person's post rather than addressing the actual point.
-Treating the other poster as if they were acting in bad faith (acting like you know their motivations better than they do, or like they are lying about them).
-Using old posts from other threads in an attempt to find contradictions in a person's view (or to dismiss their views).
-Gloating when a person concede a point (including drawing attention to the concession), or drop a topic.
-Deliberately misrepresenting their views or posts (or misrepresenting their views in a way that make it clear you are treating them in bad faith).
-Using hyperbole, insults and bashing (of the thing you don't like) when expressing how much you dislike (or, to a lesser degree, like) something.

You'd be surprised at how many people did and still do all of this in another fandom I joined before this. Then again, a website I know runs on all of this. *coughcoughcough*

humans have problems , live with it. More tolerance and love for all.

humans have problems , live with it. More tolerance and love for all.
That's not an excuse to make everyone else miserable just because you feel like it, though. Not all places are cancerous Twitch chats filled with stream monsters complaining about the stream and spamming irrelevant ASCII art, even if they can simply stop watching. I'm sure there's many other places like it, but at least here, we don't want to poison the community and divide ourselves for petty reasons.

Trust me, you wouldn't want to do that IRL, would you?

That's not an excuse to make everyone else miserable just because you feel like it, though. Not all places are cancerous Twitch chats filled with stream monsters complaining about the stream and spamming irrelevant ASCII art, even if they can simply stop watching. I'm sure there's many other places like it, but at least here, we don't want to poison the community and divide ourselves for petty reasons.

Trust me, you wouldn't want to do that IRL, would you?
I understand that, but maybe they only need more atention and understanding more?
"carrot and stick" or use the carrot as a stick if you must.
Maybe a disscusion "Everything else" would work?

Yeah, but when those people are just throwing repeated insults at one another, eventually everyone who wants a normal conversation will become sick of it. They don't deserve the attention if all they're posting is toxic waste. In the "No Pokémon Z?" thread, people started taking things too personally and attacked the users rather than their opinions, and there were others still remaining steadfast on their opinion on which they believe is the truth - projecting their expectations on to others. While the latter point may not be so worrisome, it's the way that people act as they say it that gets people yapping at each other. It gets to the point where even those who would normally try to hear these people out will give up and click the Report button.

At least, that's how I observed things post-mortem. I can see why that thread was closed for good... I just hope that, whenever the original subject of conversation in that thread comes back up, we'll take it with a more civilised manner - I certainly don't want to see that discussion be banned for 8 months.

It's kinda mad how a game that doesn't even exist, nor ever alluded to exist, is responsible for such drama and the closure of a very rampant thread/s.

Is this the "secret" power of Zygarde that the Pokedex told us about...? *X-Files themes plays*

It's kinda mad how a game that doesn't even exist, nor ever alluded to exist, is responsible for such drama and the closure of a very rampant thread/s.

Is this the "secret" power of Zygarde that the Pokedex told us about...? *X-Files themes plays*
I think you discovered it! We have the solution we wanted!

I think one of the hardest parts of back and forths is sarcasm. I know I personally tend to get a little sarcastic at times especially if I find the comment especially ridiculous. Though I do try to refrain myself to my best abilities. One thing I would hope helps cool down things is a joke that's a general one and not at the expense of others. I love making those in hopes of trying to cool things down a bit.

Well, honestly, it's a heck of a lot better than people harassing someone to the point of driving them to suicide because the haters didn't like their opinions, art, stories, etc.

Has the civility of this forum deteriorated to the point where mods have to pin a thread dedicated to explaining the basic tenants of humility? Seen too many forums decay past the point of no return as of late.

Maybe this might be useful:
WARNING: Inflammatory content below
EN9PIjJ.jpg

I think you discovered it! We have the solution we wanted!

I think one of the hardest parts of back and forths is sarcasm. I know I personally tend to get a little sarcastic at times especially if I find the comment especially ridiculous. Though I do try to refrain myself to my best abilities. One thing I would hope helps cool down things is a joke that's a general one and not at the expense of others. I love making those in hopes of trying to cool things down a bit.

The problem with sarcasm is that many - including myself - find it incredibly rude.

That said, honestly I found everything in the op post to be pretty much commonsense.

This is the internet but the old rule of attack the argument (respectfully), not the person making it applies.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom