• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DP 121 Title

Oooh goody. *sarcasm

Anyone else seriously thinking that they're setting Dawn up to be the next Ash so that they can continue the franchise without him?

^ No, because she doesn't do Gyms, which are the main point of the games.

Anyway why remake the Bulbasaur ep from Kanto?

*image directed at writers* not that i hate piplup, but this is a real kick to the notion of piplup evolving, and even moreso, the fact that Mamoswine and Ambipom aside, Dawn's team is going to be stuck at cute and unevolved for a while X_X... what a tease. I wish this was fake, but this is just cruel if its real.

Last edited:
On the bright side at least they're explaining WHY Piplup never evolved, unlike some others.

We know Bulbasaur stopped itself and Squirtle had ties to the Squirtle Squad, but we were never given explanation for some of the others.

You know I'm still shocked how authors made Piplup win over Kenny's Prinplup in contest. I can't understand it for now/ Kenny as a coordinator is stronger than Dawn. Prinplup also stronger than Piplup. Brat didn't deserve that win

You know I'm still shocked how authors made Piplup win over Kenny's Prinplup in contest. I can't understand it for now/ Kenny as a coordinator is stronger than Dawn. Prinplup also stronger than Piplup. Brat didn't deserve that win

Jessie beat Kenny, enough said.

Kenny's Pokemon may look strong, but somehow he keeps failing with them. He doesn't even have the usual "Twerp Luck" that even the twerps' rivals have against members of Team Rocket.

I feel sorry for him.

Anyone else seriously thinking that they're setting Dawn up to be the next Ash so that they can continue the franchise without him?

No
They simply want to have an equal female heroine (which they first tried to do with May and now they "fix" May's "errors" with Dawn like make Dawn feel totally equal to Ash and not most-important-after, give Dawn her own mascot like how Ash has Pika and so on...)
Just as the games began to give the player the option to play as a girl, the anime did the same and now trys to appeal equally to both boys and girls
So we have two stars now - Ash the male hero with a plot aimed at boys (Gyms - "real" battles) and Dawn the female heroine with a plot aimed at girls (Contests - focus on beauty)
That's also why since AG Ash's Pokémon all of a sudden were allowed to evolve and be more "cool" (since boys typically like this kind of creatures) while all the cute littles were thrown to May and now to Dawn since "girls like cutes"

I really don't get it how some people still can't understand this

Anyway why remake the Bulbasaur ep from Kanto?

1. Why not?
2. Is it really bad to make an episode similar to an over 10 years old episode? (not to mention some of these "new version" are better than the old)
3. You didn't even watch the episode! Just because Pika and Bulba decided not to evolve that means other Poké can't make the same decision?

Great another filler that will answer a question we already know the answer
to

We didn't have a reason in the story itself
Pika got explanation for why it didn't evolve - so why not explain Pip too?
And since it does have some kind of effect/development this is NOT a "filler" as you said... and filler is NOT automatically bad

Kenny as a coordinator is stronger than Dawn. Prinplup also stronger than Piplup.

Who says Kenny is stronger than Dawn? They began their journey about the same time (seems like Dawn began a little after)
Same for Pip and Prinp - evolution doesn't say much and you should know this if you watched this show for like 10 years now...

So what? I mean in match Dawn VS Kenny. I am not talking about match Jessie Vs Kenny when Dawn didn't reach second round. I am talking about first ribbon.

They know what you're talking about but they simply explained how Kenny isn't as good as you seem to think since even Jessie could beat him

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Oh well, it will be of some use I suppose just to know (for sure) that Pochama is definitely staying as Pocha and why. I don't mind it getting screentime/development of its own, as long as it doesn't eat into everyone else's. In a way, giving it an episode of its own might aleviate that a bit (I don't think it's really had one?)

I don't see why it's a problem it it's a "remake". The writers had "remade" quite a few eps according to some of you. As well as these eps (e.g. Pikachu not evolving, Bye Bye Dokucale) not being exact clones as you seem to think, I've peersonally actually enjoyed them more.

I don't see why it's a problem it it's a "remake". The writers had "remade" quite a few eps according to some of you. As well as these eps (e.g. Pikachu not evolving, Bye Bye Dokucale) not being exact clones as you seem to think, I've peersonally actually enjoyed them more.

It's just the fact that they're doing so many of them now. I understand the writers making homages to the past, but so much stuff like the Pokeringer concept, the Burmy ep being a repeat of Paras from Kanto, and the stuff you mentioned, its just too much.

Sure, I don't expect a bunch of Prinplup to kidnap Piplup and take it to some hidden villages of penguins where it refuses to evolve, but the idea behind it is the same, even if the ep plays out very differently.

On that note, a hidden village of penguins could be quite cool. They are near Snowpoint after all, maybe they live in igloos.

Sure, I don't expect a bunch of Prinplup to kidnap Piplup and take it to some hidden villages of penguins where it refuses to evolve, but the idea behind it is the same, even if the ep plays out very differently.

And their leader is a giant Emperoleon. That would be epic as hell!

But Pokemon recycles plots all the time, this is no different. I wonder how Piplup will "show" to be evolving, a glowing beak like Psyduck or glowing wings. I at least hope it learns a new attack, because Peck and Bubblebeam are getting old.

to see an episode focus on both Pip and Jun could be for me what the recent Rocket episode was for Rocketshippers XD

Fixed.

On the bright side at least they're explaining WHY Piplup never evolved, unlike some others.

This.

Not sure why people are so upset over this. The remakes have been really good so far, so I think we should give this episode a chance.

I at least hope it learns a new attack, because Peck and Bubblebeam are getting old.

We haven't seen Bide in a while, have we?

Now, it's pretty obvious it's not going to happen. BUT if it does happen, I imagine a lot of fans screaming their heads off.

The only attack move that Piplup uses that bothers me is Whirlpool. It's a weak water-type verison of warp attack, but the cartoon, makes it out to be some sort of One-Hit KO Move half the time.

Very annoying.

No
They simply want to have an equal female heroine (which they first tried to do with May and now they "fix" May's "errors" with Dawn like make Dawn feel totally equal to Ash and not most-important-after, give Dawn her own mascot like how Ash has Pika and so on...)
Just as the games began to give the player the option to play as a girl, the anime did the same and now trys to appeal equally to both boys and girls
So we have two stars now - Ash the male hero with a plot aimed at boys (Gyms - "real" battles) and Dawn the female heroine with a plot aimed at girls (Contests - focus on beauty)
That's also why since AG Ash's Pokémon all of a sudden were allowed to evolve and be more "cool" (since boys typically like this kind of creatures) while all the cute littles were thrown to May and now to Dawn since "girls like cutes"

I really don't get it how some people still can't understand this

I understand it...I just don't like it. I'm a girl, and I'm FAR more interested in Ash's gym storylines than I am with Dawn's (or was with May's) contests. It's stereotypical, and borderline sexist, IMO, to separate them into "boys like cool and girls like cute," but I realize that most of the time, it's true. That's what sells. But I still don't like it.

Give Ash an equal herione? Sure. Give him an equal heroine who's story is slowly turning into a carbon copy of his, but with contests? Not liking that idea so much. :-/ but then, if I ran things, Palletshipping would be canon and Dawn would end up starving to death because she has no idea how to take care of herself. So who cares what I think?

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom