• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DP 121 Title

It's just the fact that they're doing so many of them now. I understand the writers making homages to the past, but so much stuff like the Pokeringer concept, the Burmy ep being a repeat of Paras from Kanto, and the stuff you mentioned, its just too much.

I'm not sure I know what you're complaining about. Would you rather that we go back to the formulaic filler of Jouto, or that they redo some of the more interesting, enjoyable plots which have probably only been done once before, a LONG time ago? I know what you're saying, but somehow I prefer this much better than to what they could be giving us.

Huh, wonder if we'll see an Everstone. How would it would work in anime terms?

"What? Piplup is evolving!"
Dawn: Oh no, you don't! *throws Everstone, which dissappears upon touching Piplup*
"Huh!? It stopped evolving..."

Last edited:
No
They simply want to have an equal female heroine (which they first tried to do with May and now they "fix" May's "errors" with Dawn like make Dawn feel totally equal to Ash and not most-important-after, give Dawn her own mascot like how Ash has Pika and so on...)
Just as the games began to give the player the option to play as a girl, the anime did the same and now trys to appeal equally to both boys and girls
So we have two stars now - Ash the male hero with a plot aimed at boys (Gyms - "real" battles) and Dawn the female heroine with a plot aimed at girls (Contests - focus on beauty)
That's also why since AG Ash's Pokémon all of a sudden were allowed to evolve and be more "cool" (since boys typically like this kind of creatures) while all the cute littles were thrown to May and now to Dawn since "girls like cutes"

How and when did you come up with that theory? However, allow the Octillery of Reason to shoot some holes in that with its Logic-zooka attack.

BAM!
If the show was trying to appeal to both genders equally, there'd be a fourth character, a girl, tagging along with the twerps to balance it out. That or drop Brock completely.

BAM!
Raichu is cooler than Pikachu. Pikachu is more cute than cool. If the writers were trying to make all of Ash's Pokémon appeal to guys, Pikachu would've changed his mind about not evolving in Pika and Goliath.

BAM!
Dawn's Pokémon are supposed to all be cute to appeal to girls. Unless the writers are planning a Mamoswine/Happiny trade, I'm kinda skeptical.

Remake or not, somehow we'll see Dawn press the "B" button.
Ooh, that reminds me, we never did see how the B Button League forbids their Pokémon from evolving, did we? Maybe we'll finally get an explination for that.

Of course, it may just be shouting "Hey, Magikarp, quit evolving!" and it stops. That's pretty much what Bulbasaur did.

I still want it to evolve even though, lol not going to happen.
Maybe Potchama will be less annoying :eek:

I understand it...I just don't like it. I'm a girl, and I'm FAR more interested in Ash's gym storylines than I am with Dawn's (or was with May's) contests. It's stereotypical, and borderline sexist, IMO, to separate them into "boys like cool and girls like cute," but I realize that most of the time, it's true. That's what sells. But I still don't like it.

^This. I still don't understand why the writers believe that ALL girls are like that. I'm a girl, and I'd much rather see Ash compete in a gym battle than Ms. Girly-girl whine about how she can't get her hair right before her contest.

Anyway, while I fully believe Piplup will evolve, I know that unless the movie trailers and posters are not the final products, this episode is not when it will happen. May's team wasn't decent until it was time for her to leave, and I bet that's what's going to happen to Dawn as well.

It's a shame that the writers want to keep a Pokemon that's 99.9% likely to be gone after DP in its cute mascot stage for such a long time.

But I am glad that Dawn being happy about Piplup evolving will shoot down everyone who falsely claims that Dawn once said she didn't want Piplup to evolve once and for all.

Last edited:
It's a shame that the writers want to keep a Pokemon that's 99.9% likely to be gone after DP in its cute mascot stage for such a long time.

That's because Prinplup and Empoleon are ugly as hell.

That's because Prinplup and Empoleon are ugly as hell.

That's YOUR opinion. I don't think as many people would complain if a cool-looking Pokemon like Prinplup or Empoleon was out of its Pokeball all the time.

It could just be a new move? Or maybe its Bide attack is involved?
Whatever the case, I doubt it evolves. They should be giving moves to the Pokemon that only have 3 moves though, like Mimiroru. Or maybe even one of Takeshi's pokemon. As far as I know his Guregguru only has 3 moves also.

WHAT? Prinplup and Empoleon are cool! Not cute, but cool.
Well, except for Empoleon who is fat... Well, at least Jun's was.

^This. I still don't understand why the writers believe that ALL girls are like that. I'm a girl, and I'd much rather see Ash compete in a gym battle than Ms. Girly-girl whine about how she can't get her hair right before her contest.

It's because the anime is aimed at very young kids.

The little girls watching the show probably wish they could be Dawn, think her Pokemon is cute, and like watching her battle.

You need to put yourself in the mindset of the 6-12 year olds the show is aimed for. That's why the girls get cute Pokemon and why Ash's Pokemon evolve.

Amusing. I raised my eyebrows slightly when I read Bulbanews and then I came to this thread and laughed at my own ignorance. Potchama, evolving? Ha!

I don't want to talk who is stronger Kenny or Dawn, Kenny or Jessie and so on. I want to say only one thing. I really didn't like how writers made her winnig all her ribbons.

1 ribbon - against Kenny - I'm sure and no one coud change my opinion that Dawn didn't deserve that win
2 ribbon - against May - also skillful trainer losing to beginning trainer. I don't care about storyline and so on. That writers had to make Dawn win. But NOT against skillful cooedinator
3 ribbon - it is ... ridiculous. Dawn could win over Woman whom couldn't win her mum.
4 ribbon _ Pachirisu against Gabite - I will not say anything

So what I want to say. Writers had to make Dawn win ribbons. But not like that. NOT OVER skillful trainers that are stronger than her. Remeber May. When she was starting her journey he fought with trainers like her. Their level was equal. It was fair. I think authors gave TOO MUCH CREDIT for Dawn. Why? I don't get it. It is wrong. It is MISTAKE.
And don't say that Dawn is a stronger trainer than May. It is stupid to say.

Huh, wonder if we'll see an Everstone. How would it would work in anime terms?

"What? Piplup is evolving!"
Dawn: Oh no, you don't! *throws Everstone, which dissappears upon touching Piplup*
"Huh!? It stopped evolving..."

This. Only in my version, the Everstone would humorously clobber Piplup on the head and KO it, preventing it from evolving. And that would be how the Everstone works in the anime.

Damn. If it weren't so kids-oriented that would be an awesome way to utilize the Everstone. Boy, I kind of have a sick sense of humor, don't I?

Another remake doesn't bother me, but I thought this issue was pretty much a foregone conclusion since, like... the freaking Floaroma Contest. Oh well. I guess real clarification on the subject won't hurt so people will finally stop hoping it'll evolve.

1 ribbon - against Kenny - I'm sure and no one coud change my opinion that Dawn didn't deserve that win

There's one problem with thinking the ribbon against Kenny was not deserved. The writers never set up Kenny as superior to Dawn, just because you have a rival doesn't mean your rival is superior, or else that doesn't make sense (it would be a Paradox).

Zoey on the other hand was shown to be superior, so if Dawn suddenly beat Zoey for her second ribbon rather than a grand festival contest, then Dawn would not have deserved the ribbon.

Kenny is not a strong trainer, sheesh.

That's why Jessie kicked his ass with Dustox. Kenny has a lot of evo's to try and cover up the fact that he's not that great.

I also think Pochama's evolutionary forms are ugly.

Even still, cute and cool is better than just... vaguely cool and mostly ugly. >>;;

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom