• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DP 121 Title

I dislike the first stage, and the second stage at well when I saw the sprite.
Now I think Empoleon is cool trough.
I actually want Piplup to evolve because it's character needs to develop.
As an Empoleon he would get more mature and calm.
I think that is a major reason in the complaints.
Pikachu is accepted, who has a good mature personality, while piplup acts immature and isn't fully accepted in this form by the fans.

But there's no reason to all of a sudden change Pip's personality
Its personality is so much more entertaining than Pikachu (and I LOVE Pika)
A character can get development without change its personality
And Pip already got some development like how it worried about Dawn a long time (notice how since then its out of ball? I guess it's logical to assume that's the reason by the story why it decided to do so - to support Dawn) and eventually it helped Dawn in the Wallace Cup to get over her depression

There's nothing saying that they can't update the poster to show Prinplup.

One of the Advance movie posters showed Treecko, but then it evolved and they updated the same poster to show Grovyle. They did the same thing with a movie 9 promo picture that orginally didn't show Aipom; they added her in once Ash caught her.

Besides, Piplup evolving would be a big thing, probably even more that Chimchar and Staravia evolving, and I think they'd want to make it a surprise. There's also nothing saying that the footage in the trailer is from the final production; the Pokemon movie trailers usually consist mostly of scenes that aren't going to be used in the movie.

I'm sure Piplup will evolve eventually, but I'm not expecting him to evolve in this episode; it's too soon. Seems they'd save something that important for Dawn for the very end.

If Piplup evolves it'll be in Dawn's final episode, not now.

I figure one of the reasons why they gave Dawn Mamoswine is so she could have a fully evolved Pokemon, and Piplup could stay as is. Not to mention both Kenny and Jun showcasing its evo's.

Pikachu is accepted, who has a good mature personality, while piplup acts immature and isn't fully accepted in this form by the fans.
See, this is where I seem to be differing from these fans. Pikachu's whole 'mature' shtick? That is just flat out boring imo, while Pochama, bratty as it may be, is actually capable of being an entertaining character with it's zany shenanigins. Most (read:most) of those fans, from what I've seen, seem to be more concerned with focusing on getting hot and bothered by the fact it's always there instead of taking it for what it is.
Yeah, it kind of is a pain in the rear that they're dead-set of milking the character for all it's worth, and yes, it does get a little excessive at times. But when push comes to shove? It's the best 'mascot' character since...well...ever.

Last edited:
Is this a is reason why everyone goes for the fire starters?

I think this is the first time for me where I've liked a water starter's final stage. I think it's because it's part steel-type, and yes it does look cool.

Is it confirmed this is a Contest episode? If it is, this is almost certainly Kenny's long-overdue return.

Is it confirmed this is a Contest episode? If it is, this is almost certainly Kenny's long-overdue return.

I don't think so. I remember hearing that they're on their way to another contest, but I don't think they're AT the contest site.

Well, all of the Grass Starters are essentially the same. Reptiles with plants tacked on. All of the water-styles are fat and awkward-looking. The Fire-types are usually unique, although Infernape is really a retread of Blaziken.

Well, all of the Grass Starters are essentially the same. Reptiles with plants tacked on. All of the water-styles are fat and awkward-looking. The Fire-types are usually unique, although Infernape is really a retread of Blaziken.

I don't think it really as to do with design actually...

Fire types are usually the most popular because well, it's fire. People assume that fire-based powers are automatically cool.

And I would not say that the grass starters are all the same either. While Venusaur, Meganium and Torterra are all tank-like, Sceptile is very different in that it's very speedy and knows quite a number of physical and special attacks, including dragon ones.

As for Piplup's popularity, I'm not so surprised at all that it's been made DP's main mascot since well... People are obsessed with penguins and find them adorable.

Yeah, it kind of is a pain in the rear that they're dead-set of milking the character for all it's worth, and yes, it does get a little excessive at times. But when push comes to shove? It's the best 'mascot' character since...well...ever.

It's just that we're burnt out of it. Piplup is in EVERY episode, and we have to deal with it for the rest of Dawn's run.

Considering Dawn is bound to still be here for at least another 2 years, that's almost 100 more eps of Piplup to endure.

Once something is in so many episodes, people are bound to get sick of it. That's why people are complaining, 230 episodes (or so) of Piplup would make anyone nuts.

It's not the case with me. I picked Venusaur, Typhlosion, Swampert and Torterra not because I like them (although that's sometimes the case), but I use them because they're the easiest for Gym Battles.

It's just that we're burnt out of it. Piplup is in EVERY episode, and we have to deal with it for the rest of Dawn's run.

Think how much the people who hate Pikachu must hate the anime, then?!

Considering Dawn is bound to still be here for at least another 2 years, that's almost 100 more eps of Piplup to endure.

Once something is in so many episodes, people are bound to get sick of it. That's why people are complaining, 230 episodes (or so) of Piplup would make anyone nuts.

I agree with you. I'm really sick of Piplup. I am really sick to see it in every episode. like it is a main star. To see it out of pokeball every time. Every time to see its bubblebeam attack. I really wan it to evolve. But it won't happen. I just hope Dawn will disappear after Sinnoh league and we will see May again. It will be great. To see two strong trainers with strong pokemons, two trainers who like to attack whether it is a battle or contest. To see Blaziken, Venasaur.. I just hope it will be so. That after Sinnoh league and Sinnoh Grand Festival we will see May again traveling with Ash.

You know who I'm sick of? I'm sick of stupid people who complain about ridiculous things
Especially in this case were Pikachu is doing the SAME thing for OVER TEN YEARS and it seems like no one care... and that's despite Pip is more entertaining than Pika (and that's a fact really... it's ridiculous to argue over that since it's just how their characters are...)
If you don't like something... ok then, complain once... and hen once more.. and then you should learn to live with it or just shut up since it's irritating
It's stupid Scott complains about Weedle when Scott does exactly the same thing
Lwt's just all shut up after we complain about something for the third time - it won't elp you anyway so we better get used to these things and just shut up (there should really be a rule like this... It's much worse than VA discussion)

You know who I'm sick of? I'm sick of stupid people who complain about ridiculous things
Especially in this case were Pikachu is doing the SAME thing for OVER TEN YEARS and it seems like no one care... and that's despite Pip is more entertaining than Pika (and that's a fact really... it's ridiculous to argue over that since it's just how their characters are...)
If you don't like something... ok then, complain once... and hen once more.. and then you should learn to live with it or just shut up since it's irritating
It's stupid Scott complains about Weedle when Scott does exactly the same thing
Lwt's just all shut up after we complain about something for the third time - it won't elp you anyway so we better get used to these things and just shut up (there should really be a rule like this... It's much worse than VA discussion)

Wow what a speech. You know everyone has his own opinion and everyone can say whatever he wants. If you don't like something about that it's your problem

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom