• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DP 131&132- PaulVS Ash

So I kinda get the feeling Paul will win this match, as sort of a comeback from his humiliating defeat against Brandon.

I don't know I'd really prefer Paul not do it, especially if he uses the same Pokemon he used against Brandon. I don't know Ash is "supposed" to have beaten Brandon and yet lose to Paul in a close battle, it really doesn't make much sense. Especially if Ash uses his reserves.

Considering his disastrous defeat at Jindai's hands, I'm thinking Shinji is gonna fight dirty against Satoshi. Don't know how, but I'd love to see Shinji doing something illegal in his desire to win.

Of course, such a thing is a longshot, but it could happen. If it does, I'll be a happy viewer.

I feel like these are the episodes where Chimchar evolves. The timing is perfect. Paul is there, already befuddled by Ash's win against Brandon, then seeing his previously owned Pokemon evolve right in front of his eyes--everything is there for this to happen.

I also think there will be no interruptions.

To connect this faintly, recall Blaine's Magmar vs. Pikachu bout. Who would've thought that more than 500 episodes later, Pikachu would face an evolved form.

Another possibility is they could end the rivalry here if Paul were to lose, I mean i know it's highly unlikely but given the past few episodes and what happened to Ambipom it's possible, if Paul lost to Ash here, he could just discontinue his journey in sinnoh and either go somewhere else never to be seen again (which will probably happen later anyway) or help his brother with breeding.

I mean after all, if Ash only uses his sinnoh pokemon here, it's gonna be redundant to use them again in the league against Paul regardless of what form thier in, if they have the sinnoh pokemon go all out in this fight then i hope when Ash reaches Paul in the league (assuming things stay to course) he does bust his reserves out then and really teaches Paul a lesson.

After all I would love to see Paul try and take down Sceptile, Snorlax, Jason Vorheed and especially Charizard.

You know it's just a thought, but if Shinji and Satoshi draw, I wonder what that will make Shinji.
If Shinji starts losing it (especially after losing so brutally to Jindai), and finds he's losing his touch against his rival, that should make for veryyyyy interesting character dynamics.

If Shinji starts losing it (especially after losing so brutally to Jindai), and finds he's losing his touch against his rival, that should make for veryyyyy interesting character dynamics.
Oh yes. It would be very interesting to see something like this happen.

One of my worries with this 2 parter is that, bar changing the outcome, how will they differentiate the league battle?

I think Ash is gonna use his reserves. After all, he has plenty of advance notice, so he has more than enough time to put together a good team. I would think he should, seeing as he's lost to Paul every time the two have had a battle (not counting the Pokeringer competition)- closest he came was that tie the first time they battled.

Anyway, here's my idea for his team:

*Pikachu (NO DUH)
*Any one of his Grass-types except Bayleef (Bulbasaur and Sceptile have both proven themselves to be exceptionally powerful, plus Grotle's going strong with its defensive training. Bayleef doesn't stand out to me)
*Chimchar/Monferno (If it doesn't evolve before this, it will here. I am sure of it.)
*Kingler (The LEAST used out of all his Water-types, and simultaneously one of his more powerful. The writers need to make up for the fact that Kingler's last battle was its humiliating loss to Misty's Psyduck in the Whirl Cup- I mean, Ash was at his most stupid at that time- actually telling Kingler to use Vicegrip on Psyduck's head?! The writers need to make up for that, and this is the perfect opportunity.)
*Glalie (Something near the same scenario as Kingler- Powerful yet seldom used.)
*Primeape (Originally was gonna suggest Muk, but hey- we all thought Charizard and Squirtle were gone for good, right? And Primeape appeared in Spurt!, right? This means the writers haven't forgotten it, RIGHT?! Anyway, all it takes is one phone call to Anthony. Very well within the range of imagination.)

He WON'T USE his reserve. He will use only his Sinnoh Pokemon and will loose or draw.He won't use them until new BF or Elite Four challenge. I am sure Ash wants to test his pokemon against Paul's team. Especially his Grotle and Chimchar I think. In the league he will also stays with his Sinnoh team.

Speculations about his old pokemon for me is just nonsense.

He WON'T USE his reserve. He will use only his Sinnoh Pokemon and will loose or draw.He won't use them until new BF or Elite Four challenge. I am sure Ash wants to test his pokemon against Paul's team. Especially his Grotle and Chimchar I think. In the league he will also stays with his Sinnoh team.

Ash respects his pokemon enough to willingly use them and not switch with one of his Oaked pokemon. Really, in the Hoenn League, did Ash ever use any of his Oaked pokemon once? Nope, he used the team filled with pokemon he caught from Hoenn (and Pikachu).

Paul, on the other hand, is a wild card. He can very well use pokemon we have seen before (i.e. Honchkrow, Electabuzz), or he could use pokemon we have never seen him use before. The only pokemon we have confirmation of him using is the Magmortar that evolved from his Magmar.

I'm with Chaosblazer on this. Has anyone else considered the possibility that this 6 on 6 battle might mean that Ash and Shinji will NOT battle in the Sinnoh league?? I know that the whole "Ash battles his rival in the league" is an easy and pretty safe assumption to make, but remember, DP has shattered many similar assumptions over the course of its run so far. Maybe they have something different planned for it. And I can't help thinking that it might be better that way; it would be kind of repetitive to have a two part 6 on 6 battle for Ash and Shinji, and then do it all over again with another two parter in the league, especially since Ash is 99.99% certain to have the exact same team at that time (except for possible evolutions).

I'm with Chaosblazer on this. Has anyone else considered the possibility that this 6 on 6 battle might mean that Ash and Shinji will NOT battle in the Sinnoh league?? I know that the whole "Ash battles his rival in the league" is an easy and pretty safe assumption to make, but remember, DP has shattered many similar assumptions over the course of its run so far. Maybe they have something different planned for it. And I can't help thinking that it might be better that way; it would be kind of repetitive to have a two part 6 on 6 battle for Ash and Shinji, and then do it all over again with another two parter in the league, especially since Ash is 99.99% certain to have the exact same team at that time (except for possible evolutions).

Except when Ash loses, then Paul's method is superior, and therefore Ash should release his Pokemon and tell off to bonding with his Pokemon.

And why? Because The battle that needed to prove Paul wrong never happened. A league battle is far more powerful then some stupid Lake Acuity battle (and by stupid, I mean in regards to story and plot).

They may as well just have Ash get top 8 again.

Ash has already tested his Pokemon against Paul's team numerous times, and usually fails miserably. I'm thinking, especially since he has advance notice of the battle in question, he might call on some of his more experienced Pokemon to show that he does have Pokemon that can beat Paul's. Paul shifts his team around a lot and he tends to win a lot. Perhaps Ash can finally pick up on this. Someone needs to get it in his head that instead of using Buizel for his Water-type, he might spring for a certain evolved crustacean that can use Water Gun, as well as Bubble, Crabhammer, and HYPER BEAM, and kinda swept through the first trainer in the Indigo League with ease, AND whose Crabhammer can crack open a Cloyster's shell. And instead of trying to contend with Grotle's need to use a defensive strategy, he can go with what he himself is more experienced in using by calling back a certain super speedy lizard that is capable of delivering devastating Leaf Blades, Bullet Seeds, and SolarBeams. Chimchar I think he'll use. Mainly because the Monferno thing. Otherwise I would hazard a guess at a certain firebreathing dragon that usually devastates all opposition and finishes off most opponents with a fearsome Seismic Toss. Not to mention how it defeated a certain turtle against which it suffered a major type disadvantage. And maybe instead of the still-training Gliscor he can go with a certain Ice-Beaming powerhouse, or maybe the strongest puddle of living sludge in existance with the power to Body Slam an ultra-strong Bellsprout into submission and deflect attacks effortlessly, or perhaps a certain honey-obsessed beetle capable of destroying opponents with a powerful Megahorn. Or maybe, by way of another phone call, Ash could use a certain rage-a-holic P1 Grand Prix champion. My point being, Ash may be stupid at times, but he's no idiot. I think he was told about the battle ahead of time so he had time to work out a good team and strategy. If the writers didn't intend to have Ash use any reserves, I think that the battle wouldn't have been suggested 10 days beforehand. This gives Ash plenty of opportunity to work out which reserves he may want to use and to formulate a strategy.

That being said, I'm not saying he'll DEFINITELY use reserves; I'm just saying that that's where a lot of the evidence seems to be pointing.

Ash has already tested his Pokemon against Paul's team numerous times, and usually fails miserably. I'm thinking, especially since he has advance notice of the battle in question, he might call on some of his more experienced Pokemon to show that he does have Pokemon that can beat Paul's. Paul shifts his team around a lot and he tends to win a lot. Perhaps Ash can finally pick up on this

I can't see Ash using his other pokemon now, not this early anyway, not at least until a league battle because he would want to proves that is team is getting stronger and can beat Pauls pokemon if he just tries hard enough. When its time to truly own Paul, we will see pokemon like Charizard and Snorlax again, but not before then I'll bet.

Except when Ash loses, then Paul's method is superior, and therefore Ash should release his Pokemon and tell off to bonding with his Pokemon.

Not necessarly, if they don't clash in the league then nothing changes because they didn't get to battle each other then.

And why? Because The battle that needed to prove Paul wrong never happened. A league battle is far more powerful then some stupid Lake Acuity battle (and by stupid, I mean in regards to story and plot).

How often do full six on six battles happen though dman, every full six on six battle in the anime has had some form of importance, regardless of where it takes place or who is involved in the fight.

Keep in mind, that if Ash's sinnoh pokemon do give it their all here chances are some of them might be benched for the league rematch(not saying all of them, but i can definitely see Vlad and the Bird being likely candidates since thier fully evolved and ain't got much else to prove), assuming that it still happens.

Well not true, one person doing that to Ash proves nothing. If a few people like Gary, Paul and maybe Barry all beat Ash more than once then he might rethink his strategy.

Well not true, one person doing that to Ash proves nothing. If a few people like Gary, Paul and maybe Barry all beat Ash more than once then he might rethink his strategy.

Ash isn't as strict as Paul; if his pokemon loses a battle, namely a gym battle, he won't just simply release them. Besides, even if Ash travelled for 600+ episodes, it doesn't mean a thing since he is basically recycling old pokemon with new pokemon each time, except for Pikachu, which is barely used anymore.

Torterra is going to be a major problem, I think it could have shown itself to be more of a match to Regirock than the team he had with him (certainly should have took Lairons place). I don't consider Lairon a strange choice for Paul, his team wasn't specifically to beat Brandon he didn't know he'd be going up against him. It was just who he had on him, so hes probably just training Lairon up, counting Magmar and Electabuzz half of Pauls team wasn't fully evolved so I think Paul will have alot more to show in the league. In this next match however I have no idea what to expect, I doubt Ash using his old talent (especially the likes of Charizard who isnt transferable by pokeball) and I doubt even Staraptor on his current team can bring down Pauls most experienced Pokemon (Torterra should be treated as in the same league as Ash's Charizard) it'll be interesting to see how Ash plans on tackling so many powerhouses!

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom