• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DP 159 Buizel/Ice Punch

Piplup

XY
Reaction score
PK0082 from Serebii:
1/14 Growling Ice Punch! Buizel Vs Barriyado (Mr. Mime)!!

Thunder Punch VS Ice Punch!
Battle of fists! Victory goes to!?
With ribbon on the line, Hikari challenges!!

NOTE: I am not sure if I translated "唸" right... I think it's 'growling'
NOTE 2: I believe Hikari part is misprint.

I wonder what's up with the Pokéthlon.. it was supposed to be 159
If it'd be 160 that would mean they didn't count the DP120 recap ep but did count the first DP48 recap ep... weird
And I can't see how Dawn/ribbon has anything to do with this ep so I guess it is a mistake of them

Make sense seeing how they showed this episode and not the Pokethlon in the spoiler preview.

Anyway, some much needed focus for Buizel. Hasn't really had any focus at all since Wake's gym. I would've preferred an evolution episode instead of a new move episode, but whatever.

And that last part about Dawn... Probably they goofed up and it belongs to the episode after (Asatsuki??).

Maybe Dawn is trying to win the Pokethlon?

There's no way the Pokéthlon is in this ep, we already know the title of the Pokéthlon, they just confused us with their different ways of numbering

It seems that the Pokethalon/Snorlax episode was neither DP157 or DP159 after all.
At least we know the Buizel Ice Punch episode will air soon.

Uh, no, it's most likely just us not counting episodes right. The Pokethlon episodes will probably be DP160.

I'm honestly surprised they hadn't done this sooner. With the amount of air punching the character does, it sure has relied on a lot of projectile attacks and moves that function via use of it'stail.

Kudos for the battling Mr. Mime, I guess. I mean, it's not like we've ever seen one in a proper brawl, right?

I'm so motherfuckass upset.
Isn't that just like announcing 'I breathe oxygen'?

So, Pokethlon was axed.
I'm so motherfuckass upset.

*facepalm*

Yeah, they'll announce an episode title and show us its official script during an airing of the show and then won't air said episode... right
We already knew the numbering they use is different than that of TV Tokyo (that we use) and apparently we were wrong when we thought we figured out their way of numbering

Sounds good, but yeah I wish Buizel would evolve in this episode, even though it likely won't.

I don't think there will be many Buizel-focused episodes from here on out, so this really feels like the last opportunity for it to evolve.

Its a shame because Ash with a Floatzel would have been awesome. I just can't understand why they won't evolve it.

I don't get why people think ALL the Pokémon HAVE to evolve
As if the show didn't teach us countless times that evolution doesn't really matter
I like Buizel exactly the way it is now... it shouldn't evolve, at least in my opinion
If Monferno evolve in the League as I expect, then everyone evolved at least once (don't count Gible as it's still not even caught right now) and it'd be only Buizel who didn't evolve
In Hoenn Corphish didn't evolve and Grovyle only evolved in the next saga, so it's not like anything is seriously different... it's simply that Sinnoh longer and it took some more time for some of them to evolve, but eventually Ash will probably have the same amount of evolutions
It's like Johto where only Bayleef evolved, so I don't understand this complaining... evolution isn't necessary

*facepalm*

Yeah, they'll announce an episode title and show us its official script during an airing of the show and then won't air said episode... right

It's simple. That was a very early draft of the script.
The episode WAS going to be aired but was scrapped for some reason.

I'm not COMPLETELY sure about this but I think it's the possibilty. How can their numbering be so different from our one? It's not that they use hexadecimal system or anything. Or maybe we are so dumb that we missed one episode?

Really, since the revealation of Riley episode script we know how their numeration differs from our one. We're two numbers ahead from their order. Why would it change? It's not THAT easy to get lost in the episode numeration.

Of course, the episode may simply be aired later than it was originally slated. It's just as possible. But the fact that the DP159 is not what we predicted SHOULD ring a bell. The possibility that we got lost in numeration is equal to zero (how could it happen? Bulbapedia is guarding the episode articles with heavenly preciseness). I don't see why everyone is thinking that something is wrong with the numeration. It seems like the fandom is not able to face the fact that Pokethlon episode has been postponed/axed. Such things happen. That's what SCRIPT DRAFTS are for.

It's simple. That was a very early draft of the script.
The episode WAS going to be aired but was scrapped for some reason.

When they advertise the episode during the airing of the show and when it's number seemed to indicate it'd be one of the upcoming episodes, the episode was probably already ready to air at the time
I doubt they'll advertise like that an episode that wouldn't air for sure

How can their numbering be so different from our one?

Easy, maybe they don't count (for some reason, don't ask me why) the second recap episode and that would make their 157 our 160
Let's wait at least until 160's title is announced before we jump to conclusions

i'll admit Ice punch fits to some extent, but how exactly does this move help Buizel long term?

i'll admit Ice punch fits to some extent, but how exactly does this move help Buizel long term?

It can't hurt to have an ice type attack
Also, some people speculated this might allow Buizel to constantly use Ice Aqua Jet whenever it wants rather than depend on the opponent's ice attack

It can use Ice Aqua Jet without the aid of anyone else now. We've seen Pokemon use 2 moves at a time, so Buizel can do the same, use Aqua Jet and then have it use Ice Punch at the same time to freeze it.

I'm not COMPLETELY sure about this but I think it's the possibilty. How can their numbering be so different from our one? It's not that they use hexadecimal system or anything. Or maybe we are so dumb that we missed one episode?
They probably don't consider every 22 minutes a single episode.

Really, since the revealation of Riley episode script we know how their numeration differs from our one. We're two numbers ahead from their order. Why would it change? It's not THAT easy to get lost in the episode numeration.

You're forgetting and this was brought up earlier, although maybe not in this forum but a clip show did air after the Froslass episode (which is the last episode we had at the time with the weird episode count that didn't match "ours").

Of course, the episode may simply be aired later than it was originally slated. It's just as possible. But the fact that the DP159 is not what we predicted SHOULD ring a bell. The possibility that we got lost in numeration is equal to zero (how could it happen? Bulbapedia is guarding the episode articles with heavenly preciseness). I don't see why everyone is thinking that something is wrong with the numeration. It seems like the fandom is not able to face the fact that Pokethlon episode has been postponed/axed. Such things happen. That's what SCRIPT DRAFTS are for.

Unless you work directly for the production of the anime you can't say that for sure.

They made a pretty big deal about it, if they were going to axe it why include it into the Pokemon Special like they did? They had the script, and most likely had the episode already animated and created, maybe a few changes here and there but it was probably essentially already made. Of all the episodes they gave us like the Piplup and Pikachu, why remove this one from the slot.

Furthermore the Pokethelon was not shown in the upcoming episode preview shown after the Galactic Finale. It didn't make sense when DP158 was revealed, because that was supposed to be the Buizel episode but now it does, because it's actually DP159, and with the Buizel episode "revealed" all upcoming episodes from the preview have been shown. There are no more episodes to be aired in that regard. So now it should be the Pokethelon in DP160.

At the very least we should wait until DP160 is revealed, if it isn't the Pokethelon than fine, it was cut from the schedule. But if DP160 is in fact the Pokethelon, then we are even more confused about the production numbering the Japanese use. And maybe next time this happens, we won't assign a magical number to the episode. We should just know its existence, and worry about the episode number when the time comes.

It affords it some protection of grass types, and Buizel can be used against Paul's Torterra, not that it will win, mind you, but it could still so some serious damage.

Edit: Piplup I was typing this apparently before you posted what you said, just to let everyone know.

Ever since the large preview, I've been quite happy that they decided to give Buizel an Ice-type attack. Furthermore, the fact that it wasn't Ice Beam, quite a common move, gave me some reassurance that Buizel was special. But I will confess, I sorta-kinda wished that they had given him Ice Fang as it seems a little more in-line with the otter image. Snorlax already gets Ice Punch and Gliscor isn't there so Fire Fang is no longer in the repitore. I don't know, something about Buizel rushing in to bite/freeze an opponent (or... shoot lazer's from his teeth like Crasher Wake's Floatzel apparently) makes it seem like the 'coolest' thing.

Also, Mr. Mime! What a sensational choice. I'm glad they're going with it rather than Pokemon like Medicham or Alakazam.

But I will confess, I sorta-kinda wished that they had given him Ice Fang

But Ice Punch is perfect for the fighter Buizel who's always practicing its punches! Ice Fang is better for Totodile, if it does come back to the team as a lot of people (including myself) believe will happen

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom