• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DP 99 and 100 titles

It doesn't really matter... you take it too seriously just like a lot of people here do with a lot of minor things
But whatever... you can have your opinion and I have mine...

This isn't a matter of pure opinion; it is an assessment of how likely your suggested idea is to be implemented in the episode.

The writers can do whatever they want... it isn't likely or unlikely
It's not like one could speculate Marina's random cameos

Marina's cameo appearances didn't involve her being represented unfavorably. On the contrary, she was established as a Top Coordinator.

There is a reason that neither Brendan nor Lucas was shown losing in their recent cameo appearance.

I doubt they take it as seriously as you do
But whatever... let's just wait for the episode and we'll see
If not him than I'd like to see at least someone else we know rather than a random character
Maybe even Marina gain? she did say she wanted to be like Lance so it won't hurt to see her doing something to achieve that goal

So yeah...this Grotle news is nice to hear. Ash has never had a "tank" Pokemon besides Donphan and Torkal, who still were sort of "speedy". Hopefully this means Ash adapts a new battle style and from the summary, it sounds like Paul's Torterra may help, which is cool since it would give my favorite starter form, the big tree island thing he is, a personality.

What do you all think happened to Aaron's Wurmple? I find it interesting...
I don't think the Wurmple evolved and left with another Beauty/Dusty because if that was the case why would Aaron react that way to the question where it is now? I also doubt they'll say it died or something like that... doesn't fit the show at all (excpet movies and some early episodes - they never mention anything like that)

For a second I thought maybe J took it and Aaron blamed himself for that... than I understood what I just said and was like WTF why would J want a Wurmple?! (I'm sure now someone will say it was shining...) even if it already evolved, I doubt J would really be that interested in an ordinary Beauty/Dusty
Also it'd be ridiculous if that happened and Aaron just moved on with his life... Ash/Dawn would never stop doing their best to find Pika/Pip even if that means wasting years of their life

The only reason Battle Frontier was brought into the anime last gen is because Hoenn was sped through (probably because everyone complained how long Johto was, so Hoenn went by quicker), and the writers needed another arc to buy time for DP.

So won't everyone complain how long Sinnoh is? Or have I not seen it?

I haven't a clue what could've happened to Wurmple. Maybe it just lost deep in some forest or something.

I wonder why Aaron's ep is even about Wurmple to begin with. I know in the games he has Beautifly/Dustox, but I'd rather his single ep not be focused on two Pokemon we had on the main cast for so long. Jessie just released Dustox and Beautifly was in the Wallace Cup, I think Aaron should showcase some other bug types.

Since Cynthia is extremely unlikely to be usurped as the Master Champion before the series' end, having Lucas lose to her now would be equivalent to having him concede defeat for a very long time. That would be a misrepresentation of the games, where the player is very much supposed to become the Champion. It would not make sense in that it would be another cameo appearance that serves to reference the game character, yet it would contradict the respective event in the games.

Lucas' rival, on the other hand, is said in the games to have given up on defeating the Elite Four. Granted, he makes that decision after having lost to Lucas, rather than to Cynthia, but the point remains that having his anime counterpart lose to Cynthia would be a more accurate depiction of the games than your suggestion.

Umm, dude, you DO realize that anime =/= game, right? The anime was never meant to follow the game exactly. (Which is good, because it'd be pretty damn boring if it did)

The anime was never meant to be a direct re-telling of the game. The anime is its own story, based in the universe of said game. While the same basic rules still apply, much has been changed to help it evolve into its own entity.

In all honesty, there's not much point to speculating, because whatever the D/P anime has in store for us down the road, it'll be something we won't expect.

If there's one thing the D/P anime has going for it, it's that the plot has had more twists than Chubby Checker. More than a few of us (myself included) were expecting D/P to follow the same path as AG, and we were dead wrong.

We were NOT expecting Ash to adopt Chimchar after Paul abandoned it, we were NOT expecting Dawn to lose two Contests in a row, and we were certainly NOT expecting Jessie to actually win a Contest ribbon WITHOUT CHEATING.

Now, I haven't seen 99 and 100 yet, but I have been reading comments. Turtwig evolving into Grotle was a HUGE surprise for me. I thought for sure Chimchar would evolve first.

I don't know what the whole deal between Lucas and Cynthia is, so I'm not going to comment on that.

The anime could very well turn out the way you say it will, but then again, it may not. How it turns out is not for me, you, or anyone on this forum to decide. In the end, it all depends on the writers.

Now, don't get me wrong. I enjoy speculation just as much as the next fan, ESPECIALLY when a new movie's on the way. But there's no point getting all bent out of shape over it.

But getting back to my original train of thought......

This isn't a matter of pure opinion; it is an assessment of how likely your suggested idea is to be implemented in the episode.

Seriously, just take a moment to listen to that statement of yours. You're basically trying to predict whether or not his speculation will come to light, as if you're some kind of expert on the anime.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but unless you can provide some proof that you work for ShoPro, Nintendo, or GameFreak, you're not an expert. No one here is. We're just a collection of random schmucks who love Pokémon. Hell, I'VE been a Pokémon fan since the Kanto saga first aired on syndicated TV, and there's a lot I don't know.

You need to realize that OPINIONS ARE NOT FACTS, and should not be treated as such. You have your ideas as to how the anime may turn out, and that's cool. So do I. But getting all up in someone's grill just because they don't agree with you is not cool.

So, let's just watch the anime, and let it unfold as it will. If it turns out the way you expected, more power to you. If not, no biggie.

And if it rubs you the wrong way, you always have the option to not watch it anymore.

So, let's share our opinions, but keep it civilized and respectful. If for nothing else, just to prove that we're all smarter than the average weaboo.

Well, that's my two cents. May the Vishantee be with thee.

Bluntasaur said:
I don't know what the whole deal between Lucas and Cynthia is, so I'm not going to comment on that.
You are missing the point; whoever battles Cynthia will not be a key character to the series, since he or she is guaranteed to lose to her and therefore not affect the status-quo. Furthermore, if that character is along the lines of Lucas, then his or her losing will not be a form of character development, for the simple reason that the writers sadly do not focus on such characters.

I didn't beg to differ with Piplulp on a matter of opinion. The basis of his speculation was that it would be better to showcase Lucas, who is associated with Cynthia in the games, than it would to showcase a random never-before-seen character. I pointed out that while that may be true, Lucas is also associated in the games with the idea of becoming a Champion. As I see it, having him lose in the anime would send the wrong message about Ash's prospects of winning. It would be quite unlike Paul's loss in that Paul is a main character whose flaws are explored, making it inevitable that he lose to someone like Cynthia.

I can accept that Piplup thinks the writers are oblivious to that sort of reasoning, but considering that his idea was rather random in the first place, I don't see the harm in my comments.

It's nice to see that Turtwig is going to evolve into Grotle. I'm hoping this means that we're going to see Monferno soon. I like Chichar and all, but I'm a Monferno fan. I know it's pretty unlikely that Piplup's going to evolve. Then again as stated above, DP is known for its small twists and turns. For all I know Chimchar will be Oaked and Dawn will have an Empoleon by episode 105.

Whatever, let's just move on
For the Aaron episode- I wonder if it'll really focus on Wurmple as much as we think... the summary tell us about some training center and made it seems like THAT will be the main thing in the episode
Maybe the Wurmple story won't get a conclusion this episode and will take a few episodes to resolve?
And since both Cynthia and Lucian showcased a new Pokémon, I hope Aaron does too... I'd like to see him with a Scorupi

I didn't beg to differ with Piplulp on a matter of opinion. The basis of his speculation was that it would be better to showcase Lucas, who is associated with Cynthia in the games, than it would to showcase a random never-before-seen character. I pointed out that while that may be true, Lucas is also associated in the games with the idea of becoming a Champion. As I see it, having him lose in the anime would send the wrong message about Ash's prospects of winning. It would be quite unlike Paul's loss in that Paul is a main character whose flaws are explored, making it inevitable that he lose to someone like Cynthia.
Except Lucas can lose to Cynthia without any consequence, in the games you can lose to Cynthia it's not like there's some special "trigger" that somehow lets you win even if somehow you have no Pokemon to fight.

Any game, has a "loss" factor to it, there's really not one game where no matter what you do, you'll always win. Sure it may be true that for some odd reason in certain games, your loss doesn't add to the continuity of the story.

But when you still gain the experience and lose half your money (if its the same) when you lose in a Pokemon game, it counts. Even after becoming Champion, Cynthia or whoever was the champion is still the champion, no matter how many times you win. It's not like you're challenged by random people every once in a while for the chance of becoming champion themselves.

So I don't see why Lucas losing to Cynthia would be a problem.

Even after becoming Champion, Cynthia or whoever was the champion is still the champion, no matter how many times you win. It's not like you're challenged by random people every once in a while for the chance of becoming champion themselves.
But you are supposed to defeat Cynthia eventually and move on from the Elite Four. That is what every player does unless he or she has given up.

The primary reason for which characters like Brendan and Lucas have only received cameo appearances is that showcasing them too much might detract from Ash's goal. In all three of Brendan's battles (including his battle against Lucas), neither side was winning or losing. But the fact that they have no lines is clearly reminiscent of the game characters, and as such, they are implied to be on the same level of accomplishment.

It is highly likely that Wallace lost his Champion title to Brendan, yet that was not mentioned explicitly in the relevant episode. The reason for that is that Brendan is not a main character; his accomplishing something that Ash has not may render Ash's endeavors less interesting to the viewers.

Whether or not Ash will eventually face the Elite Four, the writers are implying that he will because the regular Gym quest has long gone ceased to be a real challenge. Now, showing Lucas on the losing side might make Cynthia look even more invincible, therefore raising expectations for Ash's match, but it would also send the wrong message about the feasiblity of a child becoming the Champion. If to make matters worse, Lucas would not benefit from character development or from a resolution to become better prepared for the next time, since that would require screentime that he does not have. The viewers would be left thinking that he has simply given up.

With Jun/Barry being revealed to appear in DP 101, it has become incredibly likely that he will be Cynthia's challenger in DP 100.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom