• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DP079 Title! Possibly the last Wallace Thread right now...

And then come the theories...

Wallace as Dawn's father?

Let's hope no one thinks so.

Assuming that picture is real it's not really a surprise. After all there was that magazine at the end of last year that said Satoshi/Hikari will win one badge/ribbon after another in 2008.

And for those of you who can't read Japanese, it's called the Aqua Ribbon.

WTF?!
I'll be happy for Dawn but I think it's ridiculous that a beginner coordinator with 1 ribbon that couldn't even pass the performance round two times in a row will defeat a 13 ribbons experienced coordinator that got top 8 and top 4 in the Hoenn and Kanto Grand Festivals...

At least I hope May isn't using Blaziken/Beautifly because that'd be even more ridiculous
If Glaceon didn't do much in Johto than Piplup has equal (or even more?) Contest experience than it I guess... since it was completely neglected as Eevee in BF and did one performance and one battle round (Piplup did performance, double performance, battle round, the movie Contest if you count... and is constantly being used in anything and keep getting better)
Or if May got a new Pokémon in Johto it'd be the best to use it... it'd be much more logical for Dawn to beat a new Pokémon that May didn't train as much as her others

I really hope I'm right about them possibly using another Pokémon each battle... it'd be great to see all of Dawn's Pokémon win her a ribbon (but that was expected for Hearthome)

Didn't they said Wallace did his Contest in Hoenn and Kanto already? if that's right I guess May might get another chance to win this ribbon in Johto since it'd be the only region left without a Wallace Cup

I'm also not sure what to feel... I wanted May to win but I also didn't want Dawn to lose third Contest in a row
But being able to make it to the final battle and give a good battle to May could also be considered as a confidence boost and a good achievement... it's just weird to see May come for this Contest only to lose especially when Dawn is going to have all of DP (and possibly after DP too) to shine while this is probably going to be May's only appearance for a long time
I really think May should won this... but at least we can be happy for Dawn

I'm also not sure what to feel... I wanted May to win but I also didn't want Dawn to lose third Contest in a row
But being able to make it to the final battle and give a good battle to May could also be considered as a confidence boost and a good achievement... it's just weird to see May come for this Contest only to lose especially when Dawn is going to have all of DP (and possibly after DP too) to shine while this is probably going to be May's only appearance for a long time
I really think May should won this... but at least we can be happy for Dawn

May has three ribbons and hasn't shown any indication she ABSOLUTELY needs this ribbon back in jouto, so unless she says otherwise she does not need this win.

Dawn from how i see things needs this more now than ever because some portions of the fandom believe she needs to back out of contests due to how poorly she's done and unless she starts to turn around now she might not be able too in the future.

I still don't see why people are using experiance as logic to why she can't beat May either, Ash without a ribbon to his name battled may to a draw in his first ever contest and people don't see that as a big deal so why does this matter?

ribbhh8.jpg

2u5llxcj_0.jpg

The ribbons look different. Fake?

May has three ribbons and hasn't shown any indication she ABSOLUTELY needs this ribbon back in jouto, so unless she says otherwise she does not need this win.

Dawn from how i see things needs this more now than ever because some portions of the fandom believe she needs to back out of contests due to how poorly she's done and unless she starts to turn around now she might not be able too in the future.

As I already said Dawn has all of DP
And May in contrast to Dawn has probably this only one apperance for a long time
So it'd be better to let May win to shine in the little time she has now and let Dawn win the next Contest
Not to mention getting to the final battle and give May a good battle is enough to show Dawn she can do better

I still don't see why people are using experiance as logic to why she can't beat May either, Ash without a ribbon to his name battled may to a draw in his first ever contest and people don't see that as a big deal so why does this matter?

But Ash and Sceptile had battle experience so they could battle well without losing (and Ash watched enough Contests to know he should pay attention to the points and time)

Not to mention the purpose of that Contest was to let the AG heroes tie
This time the Contest is the first time we see May after more than a year she wasn't even mentioned and probably the only time we'll get to see her in the near future
Isn't that better to let May shine since Dawn still have all of the DP? sure it is... and May being more experienced just add another reason for her to win

The ribbons look different. Fake?

Just some very little differences (like the light and dark blue swithces places)
I doubt it's fake
No one said they must draw the Ribbon exactly the same to the very little details of it...
I'm 99% the scan is real

do we know if Dawn uses Piplup vs May? Cuz that would just be sad.

We don't know but I guess the scan came from a comic of the episode so someone might find the rest of it...
And actually it'd be ridiculous if Dawn beat May with Buneary/Pachi... Piplup is her best and should be used against May... and if she must use another one than I guess Ambipom is good too but not as much as Pip

As I already said Dawn has all of DP
And May in contrast to Dawn has probably this only one apperance for a long time

You act like May didn't get anything from her visit, or does Glaceon ring any bells? Besides i could care less if she is cameo'ing, she had her time in the limelight now it is Dawn's turn.

I don't care if she does have all of DP Dawn needs to win now to prove to people she can be in the GF as we have people over at serebii who believe she needs to refrain from entering the GF from how "poorly" she's done so far.>>

So it'd be better to let May win to shine in the little time she has now and let Dawn win the next Contest
Not to mention getting to the final battle and give May a good battle is enough to show Dawn she can do better

If Dawn hadn't lost twice in a row i'd probably agree, but from how bad she lost those contests, she needs a great rebound by winning a contest against someone like May and this is her only shot.

Do you think beating Zoey, Kenny again or some one shot coordinator is gonna be as momentus as her possibly beating someone like May? I don't think so.

But Ash and Sceptile had battle experience so they could battle well without losing (and Ash watched enough Contests to know he should pay attention to the points and time)

Not to mention the purpose of that Contest was to let the AG heroes tie

So what, they did not have to enter a contest and Sceptile was plain as day restrained by the rules and would've flat out kicked Blaziken's butt if they choose to have a normal battle but went for a contest instead and Ash did tie with her, deal with it.

This time the Contest is the first time we see May after more than a year she wasn't even mentioned and probably the only time we'll get to see her in the near future

Should be thankful we're seeing her at all.

Isn't that better to let May shine since Dawn still have all of the DP? sure it is... and May being more experienced just add another reason for her to win

So what if she's experianced, so is Ash yet he still loses to trainers and gl's all the freaking time, say it's his new pokemon's fault all you want, but if he was as experianced as he should be, he could easily take those pokemon and pwn gl's like paul is but he can't even do that.

Last edited:
You act like May didn't get anything from her visit, or does Glaceon ring any bells?

Glaceon wasn't the reason she came back... if they wanted her to show Leafeon or Glaceon and that's it than she could just appeared at Eterna forest or at Snowpoint to let us actually see Eevee evolve...
The important thing in these episodes is the Contest and not Glaceon

Besides i could care less if she is cameo'ing, she had her time in the limelight now it is Dawn's turn.

Winning this Contest wouldn't make May steal from Dawn... and as I said could still cheer up Dawn

I don't care if she does have all of DP Dawn needs to win now to prove to people she can be in the GF as we have people over at serebii who believe she needs to refrain from entering the GF from how "poorly" she's done so far.>>

People at Serebii are important why?...
This is a good thing Dawn have hard time in Contests... much better for her character development
Pass the performance round, get into the final battle and give May a good battle - could cheer up Dawn a lot and prove to the viewers and to Dawn that she's getting better a little by little like it should be instead of win easily

If Dawn hadn't lost twice in a row i'd probably agree, but from how bad she lost those contests, she needs a great rebound by winning a contest against someone like May and this is her only shot.

Do you think beating Zoey, Kenny again or some one shot coordinator is gonna be as momentus as her possibly beating someone like May? I don't think so.

It'd still have the same result - Dawn being happy she won and gets out of her despression

So what, they did not have to enter a contest

That was just a reason they made up for them to battle
And to let poor Eevee do a performance finally

and Sceptile was plain as day restrained by the rules and would've flat out kicked Blaziken's butt if they choose to have a normal battle but went for a contest instead

We can't know who would win
What you did know is exactly what you don't want others to do - you said Sceptile should win... why? it even weak to fire... oh right it's more experienced! see? you do that too

and Ash did tie with her, deal with it.

I didn't say Ash didn't tie with her X_X
But Ash is -supposed- to be better than May since he's more experienced
This time May is the more experienced... and Dawn is not only less experienced but also a beginner that constantly fail lately

Should be thankful we're seeing her at all.

Why? it'd be stupid to not show her... they never forget old main characters and so it should be (not to mention how similar May and Dawn are it'd be extremely stupid to not let them meet)

So what if she's experianced, so is Ash yet he still loses to trainers and gl's all the freaking time,

And who says these Gym leaders and trainers aren't experienced too?

say it's his new pokemon's fault all you want, but if he was as experianced as he should be, he could easily take those pokemon and pwn gl's

Just like the trainer the Pokémon need to get stronger too
It'd be stupid if Ash could do with Chimchar as good as he can with Charizard for example

like paul is but he can't even do that.

Who says Paul doesn't use his experienced Pokémon?
And the rival always will be shown as better than the hero

Glaceon wasn't the reason she came back... if they wanted her to show Leafeon or Glaceon and that's it than she could just appeared at Eterna forest or at Snowpoint to let us actually see Eevee evolve...
The important thing in these episodes is the Contest and not Glaceon

Then why go up to Snowpoint instead of coming to the contest directly?

The thing is she still got something for visiting, while you act if she loses she'll go out empty handed.

Winning this Contest wouldn't make May steal from Dawn... and as I said could still cheer up Dawn

Actually it is stealing from Dawn because she hasn't stated she absolutely needs this ribbon, Dawn on the other hand does need it to get off her losing streak, which i doubt "having a good battle" is going to fix.

This is a good thing Dawn have hard time in Contests... much better for her character development

At the same time it makes May look bad because of how easy it was for her since she never had a bad time with them.>>

Pass the performance round, get into the final battle and give May a good battle - could cheer up Dawn a lot and prove to the viewers and to Dawn that she's getting better a little by little like it should be instead of win easily

Not really, cause again that makes May's run look even worse because Dawn's is seen as "more realistic".

Even is she does her best, she would still lose if May did win, and what's the point of that, it's like Ash's Buizel, why battle your hardest if you can't win something, there's no point.

It'd still have the same result - Dawn being happy she won and gets out of her despression

Still having her gain her next ribbon against someone like May would be more meaningful than a lameo stale one shot.

I didn't say Ash didn't tie with her

But that's the problem, people think Dawn possibly beating her is a travesty, yet Ash tieing with her is nothing?

But Ash is -supposed- to be better than May since he's more experienced

Then he should be pwning all trainers he meets and battles except for Paul with little effort including Gl's if this so called experiance matters.'

Heck there's also a few times May ursurped Drew despite him being more experianced as well.>>

This time May is the more experienced... and Dawn is not only less experienced but also a beginner that constantly fail lately

The thing is Dawn's only problem right now is the appeal round, she's got some insane battling skills that could even the odds in the battling rounds.

And who says these Gym leaders and trainers aren't experienced too?

Let me see, he can beat a Legendary pokemon, yet then pikachu goes and looses to an Onix with a NAM..yeah real experiance there.>>

Just like the trainer the Pokémon need to get stronger too
It'd be stupid if Ash could do with Chimchar as good as he can with Charizard for example

Too late given the Metagross kill from awhile back.

I can't bother to continue that
I already said how I hate to write these long posts only to argue
But I think I calmed a little now about it... I agree that Dawn need to win this too but I just thought it'd be nice to see May win in what might be her only DP apperance... oh whatever... at least their battle is sure to be great! not to mention May VS Zoey!

It'll be funny to see if Dawn beats May, yet can't beat Zoey. We know May beats Zoey to get into the finals, so if Dawn beats May, then why is Zoey too strong for her?

Didn't Grace beat Drew than May beat her? It's the same
Just because X beat Y that doesn't mean if you beat X that you must be able to beat Y

Didn't Grace beat Drew than May beat her? It's the same
Just because X beat Y that doesn't mean if you beat X that you must be able to beat Y

Still though Grace didn't have any ribbons(or did she but i know she didn't have as many as Drew did) when she beat Drew, so in a way it does matter since it negates the experiance factor.

Grace had 3 ribbons I think. Compared to this, May has 12 ribbons and a Top 4 rank in the GF. But I agree, having more experience doesn't mean you always win.

Not to mention Grace must have failed to get into the Hoenn GF since she wasn't there.

I didn't intend to mean if you more experienced you must win
I just think it's another reason why May should win

If they only use one for performance and one for battles (instead of my speculation of maybe each battle another Pokémon) that means Ambipom and Piplup win her the Aqua Ribbon (so strange to have a Ribbon with a name like badges except of "-insert town- Ribbon") since it looks like Ambipom is doing the performance in the preview (and apparently Sunday's preview was exactly the same as the preview from DP 76) and the summary said she use Piplup against Kaito right?

That means Piplup won her two Ribbons (and both times did the battles) while first Pachi helped and second Ambi did
I think next Contest buneary will participate no matter what
It's the only Pokémon now that didn't win her a Ribbon
I hope that next Contest we'll get Buneary for performance and Ambipom or Pachi for battles

But I still think it'd be great to let them use a different Pokémon each battle
It'd be amazing to see all of Dawn's Pokémon win her a Ribbon together (and I still hope for this in the possibly next Hearthome Contest) and also it'll let us see more of May's Pokémon (and possibly Zoey's Misdreavus too which might a Mismagius by now)
By the summaries each round of the Contest is a new day like the tag tournament so it's a little different from a regular Contest... so the rules might be different too

People are overlooking the fact that Dawn, as a Coordinator, is much-more battle-orientated than appeal-orientated. Sure, we've seen her lose a battle in a contest, but her problem right now is getting out of the appeals round. Almost every time we see her practicing, it's on the appeals. When Zoey gives her *advice*, it's for how to improve an appeal. Her mistakes have been small, but vitally important (Ex., the Pokemon is the star, not the attack).

Dawn's lost these last few Contests because her appeals flat-out bombed. We know that she's a more than competant battler from her match against Kenny, the Tag Battle Tournament, her battle against Maylene, and the fact that she makes it to the finals of the Wallace Cup. It isn't the battle round that she is having trouble with.

Quite frankly, getting out of the appeals round with a good score will do just as much to lift her spirits (and confidence) as winning would.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom