• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP088: Pokémon Summer School Course!!

Hmm, that Raichu seems to freak out easily and is sorta clueless, especially after it pulverized that rock with Focus Punch.

]Jessie's is Smoochum. James does not participate.

This is really starting to bother me. Why doesn't Kojiro get to do anything?! Takeshi gets to do more than Kojiro nowadays and has more Pokemon than him at the moment! Do the writers just not like Kojiro or something?

I just thought this episode was ok. A little too predictable, though I did get a few laughs here and there. The whole thing felt really rushed for some reason. It felt like two episodes crammed into one. Hopefully the rest of the arc will be better paced.

When exactly are the Oak lectures coming back? I figured they would be since the movie has been out for a little while now, but all we got was another movie promo.

DP 088 "Pokémon Summer School Course!!"

Impressions:
This whole month will be focusing on an arc in a school. I find it strange that it is on the way to Kannagi instead of Kotobuki (Since Melissa can become the 6th leader so the journey from Mio city to Kissaki city won't be a boatload of fillers, although Kannagi has to fit somewhere). The OP is still Together2008 although the site said Together.

- The school professor kinda reminds of the one from Powerpuff Girls. Kouhei still has his freaky introduction.
-The Raichu Satoshi receives is shy and the Betbeter Hikari receives is really affectionate. Takeshi gets a Coil which he shines like crazy and Aoi (I think that’s her name) gets Moukazaru which has attitude problems. Musalina, who came in twin-tales gets a Muchul which she adores intensely to jump in an attack and hug it and Kojiro does nothing.
- There are a lot of scenes with Satoshi and Aoi competing against each other.
- The scene where Kouhei is driven out by Hikari during bedtime was pretty funny.
- The rest of the episode has everyone battling and ranked by Nanakamado-Hakase.

Seeing as this is part of an arc, the plot works in setting everything in place like the personalities of the various rental Pokémon. There are also some nice funny moments to be found throughout the episode. Some nostalgic music is used like Natsu Yasumi Fan Club from the Pikachu's Summer Vacation short. The animation was great for an episode. Overall, the deserves an 8.2/10.

DP 088 "Pokémon Summer School Course!!"

Impressions:
This whole month will be focusing on an arc in a school. I find it strange that it is on the way to Kannagi instead of Kotobuki (Since Melissa can become the 6th leader so the journey from Mio city to Kissaki city won't be a boatload of fillers, although Kannagi has to fit somewhere). The OP is still Together2008 although the site said Together.

- The school professor kinda reminds of the one from Powerpuff Girls. Kouhei still has his freaky introduction.
-The Raichu Satoshi receives is shy and the Betbeter Hikari receives is really affectionate. Takeshi gets a Coil which he shines like crazy and Aoi (I think that’s her name) gets Moukazaru which has attitude problems. Musalina, who came in twin-tales gets a Muchul which she adores intensely to jump in an attack and hug it and Kojiro does nothing.
- There are a lot of scenes with Satoshi and Aoi competing against each other.
- The scene where Kouhei is driven out by Hikari during bedtime was pretty funny.
- The rest of the episode has everyone battling and ranked by Nanakamado-Hakase.

Seeing as this is part of an arc, the plot works in setting everything in place like the personalities of the various rental Pokémon. There are also some nice funny moments to be found throughout the episode. Some nostalgic music is used like Natsu Yasumi Fan Club from the Pikachu's Summer Vacation short. The animation was great for an episode. Overall, the deserves an 8.2/10.

Sounds like an awesome episode :-D Do they sleep there at the school :O?

A few pictures.

1218103650182ad8c.jpg

Nanakamado says: Summer School is serious business.

121810378944143a0.jpg

Musashi and Muchul

1218103805554f1a6.jpg

Hikari teaching a fake Haruhi Suzimiya-type dance to Betbeter.

1218104326879e3e6.jpg

Kojiro dreaming.

1218104058875a6fc.jpg

Kouhei in his jammies.
1218104215535c1cc.jpg
Aoi and Moukazaru Training.

Thanks for the pics :-D They are great! Especially Kouhei in his Jammies xD and Kojiro looks really sweet like that xD

Btw what did Satoshi and Aoi do that the prof. get mad at them :O?

Last edited:
A few pictures.

1218103650182ad8c.jpg

Nanakamado says: Summer School is serious business.

121810378944143a0.jpg

Musashi and Muchul

1218103805554f1a6.jpg

Hikari teaching a fake Haruhi Suzimiya-type dance to Betbeter.

1218104326879e3e6.jpg

Kojiro dreaming.

1218104058875a6fc.jpg

Kouhei in his jammies.
1218104215535c1cc.jpg
Aoi and Moukazaru Training.

Omg, 4 of these pics is just to funny, especially the one James sleeping in his jammies, and ooh we got are first trouble makers all ready from the first pic.

Thanks for the pics :-D They are great! Especially Kouhei in his Jammies xD and Kojiro looks really sweet like that xD

Btw what did Satoshi and Aoi do that the prof. get mad at them :O?
Simple, they argued and it got really heated, and if I remember correctly there were attacks flying everywhere. XD

Woah, she's awesome~

Also, wow, I never thought she'd be a girl after she used oira, despite the eyelashes.

Then she said "ladies first", surprising Satoshi so much he let go. xD She even talks a lot like Satoshi, though even gruffer if possible.

That Koilink is SO cute.

Kojiro sleeping! Ah, s-so very cute...!

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice episode. Its a bit disappointing that James didn't participate. Its like the writers are ignoring him nowadays. Jessie and that Smoochum seem to be getting along well...

Were any of the group's regular Pokemon (Piplup and Pikachu excluded) in it?
I'd be pissed if I got a Graveller or Bidoof as my rental Pokemon. They're so common!
1218104215535c1cc.jpg

Is that Mach Punch or Bullet Punch?

The animation in this episode looks good based on the screenshots above. Kojiro is adorable. Was there a reason given for why he didn't participate?

Anyone notice the continuity with the past?

Jessie wanted to keep Smoochum in that Battle Frontier episode, now she gets one again...

10 bucks on Pikachu learning Kage Bunshin (Double Team) from that Raichu either during this arc or during the episodes after it.

-------------
This episode rocked. It had everything - reappearances, battles, funny stuff such as that Grimer mimicing Dawn's pose all the time. lol.

Pikachu's eyes were way too close to his cheeks today. How did the group find out about the school in the first place? Aoi is even more butch than Zoey! Her name translating to blue doesn't help much either. I hope we see more of Conway next episode.

One more thing: What was Prof. Rowan saying at the very end?

10 bucks on Pikachu learning Kage Bunshin (Double Team) from that Raichu either during this arc or during the episodes after it.

Didn't Pikachu already know Double Team in the past?

Love this episode!! It was so fun seeing all the entertaining things in this episode such as the pokemon, the characters, etc. First the pokemon. I really like Raichu. I thought it was so funny seeing it shy and timid. I loved its interactions with Ash and it's really a shame that Ash can't keep it. It looked like a great pokemon imo. Monferno was pretty hilarious too. I liked how it was disobedient and has bad attitude. Especially when it got into fights with the Croconaw. One of my favorites though has got to be Grimer. Grimer was priceless. Copying Dawn's poses, being affectionate, and Piplup being stuck inside it...amazing! It's also a shame that Dawn can't keep it. I mean she used a seal on the pokeball and battled with it in a contest manner. I totally wish Dawn can have it, there's so much potential.

I also liked Conway, especially when he came into the room with his jammies and then getting kicked out haha. It was pretty cool to see him with Venonat as well. As for Brock, Magnemite is a cool pokemon for him to have for awhile. I liked how he shined it as well. Jessie and Smoochum was pretty funny too with Jessie being all affectionate to the point of her getting shocked by Magnemite! Definitely great pokemon/trainer interactions. So out of all the pokemon, I got to say I liked Raichu and Grimer the most. Definitely favorites!

Now for the character interactions, Ash and Aoi was great to see. It kinda reminds me of Morrison and how they were friends but had competitions with each other. Not to mention both Ash and Aoi are pretty similar as well (like both sleeping in class). Hopefully Aoi can be a recurring rival as well (I mean I could totally see her with a Luxio next time we see her). She looks like a great character.

Too bad James didn't get to participate but with Jessie being Jessalina, I guess James and Meowth had to be disguised as always when Jessie is in that character.

Overall, great episode. One of my favorites for sure. I really will miss Raichu and Grimer when this arc is over. They had some great parts in this episode.

(Oh, btw...what was Professor Rowan saying at the end of the episode?)

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom