• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP088: Pokémon Summer School Course!!

All in favor of Dawn replacing Ambipom with Grimer say aye!

If you freeze-frame the part w/ Conway getting kicked out, you can see his black boxers. Yay fanservice!

All in favor of Dawn replacing Ambipom with Grimer say aye!

If you freeze-frame the part w/ Conway getting kicked out, you can see his black boxers. Yay fanservice!

Aye! lol

I think Grimer is awesome...totally wish Dawn would get it because it was so hilarious and it was great!

But anyway, did anyone find it interesting how Monferno's pokeball was first grabbed by Ash until Aoi got it instead? I kinda find that pretty funny due to the Monferno hype.

Also think it's intresting that Chimchar wasn't called out to interact with it, nor did Ash seem to mention Chimchar at all.

^ It didn't need to imo. Especially in this case. I mean it would make sense for Ash to call out Chimchar to see Monferno battle so it could be inspired by it, but to be honest, Monferno's battling style wasn't so "inspirational" as I thought it could be. I thought there wasn't a need if it seems that Chimchar won't get anything out of it. Not to mention, there wasn't really any Pikachu and Raichu interaction as well and Pikachu saw Raichu. I guess it just wasn't necessary so I don't see a problem with it.

Besides, there have been times when a pokemon doesn't see/interact much with its evolved state. For example, I don't think Taillow saw that Winstrate's Swellow in that one episode in Hoenn yet it still evolved. Or during the Hoenn league when we've seen Tyson's Sceptile. I doubt Grovyle had any interaction with it (and I don't think Ash acknowledged the fact that Grovyle could evolve to that too).

I mean I want Chimchar to evolve badly too but I'm not going to worry about it despite the fact I saw it's evolved form. It will get its time eventually but right now, I'm going to focus on the rental pokemon fun. Especially Raichu and Grimer. Those two really caught my attention and they're not even new pokemon.

A few pictures.

1218103650182ad8c.jpg

Nanakamado says: Summer School is serious business.

121810378944143a0.jpg

Musashi and Muchul

1218103805554f1a6.jpg

Hikari teaching a fake Haruhi Suzimiya-type dance to Betbeter.

1218104326879e3e6.jpg

Kojiro dreaming.

1218104058875a6fc.jpg

Kouhei in his jammies.
1218104215535c1cc.jpg
Aoi and Moukazaru Training.

I like the one of Ash and the girl getting in trouble by the teacher LOL. Poor Ash seems to be having horrible luck at schoolXD
Looks like a fun episode.

^ It is a fun episode! I really love all the little things like Jessie raving over her Smoochum and Ash and Aoi getting into trouble, etc. And of course as I have mentioned countless of times, Raichu and Grimer were awesome this episode and have great personalities. And if they were to ever be in the group's pokemon...they would add something new so I really think this episode was so entertaining.

I finally got to see the episode and it was great! My favourite part was Jessie picking up Smoochum to hug it in the middle of battle only to be fried by Magnemite's Thunder. Ash and Aoi's battle was interesting as well.

I hope we get to see those rental Pokemon alot more because their personalities are all interesting.

Quite liked that episode but a couple of things which could have improved it. Like James joinin in! I'd also have liked to have seen more of the trainers getting pokemon which arent there usual "type" Dawn with grimer was fantastic and its nice to see jessie so happy at finally gettin a cute pokemon, but then why give conway a bug with psychic moves a perfect match for his nerdiness, id have preferred to see him with something alittle more out of character (not sure what though) and the same goes for Brock whos the only character in the main cast who ever gets to play with steel types. Mixed feelings on Ash with the Raichu, dont feel it was very imaginative and I'd have loved to see him with a ghost/psychic/dark type but was good to see a raichu portrayed differently to the usual ones, still dont think its a challenge for ash to fight with though. Hes quite use to the whole doubleteam focus punch combo and dig and thunderbolt arent exactly new concepts to him either. Basically I'd have liked them to mix it up just alittle more.

Yeah, Brock with Magmemite probably wasn't the best of choices. Not only has Magnemite been featured in tons of eps in the past, but I wish they gave Brock a Pokemon with more of a personality?

Then again this is Brock we're talking about, if the tag battle arc is anything to go by, he'll barely get any screentime compared to Ash, Dawn and the rivals anyway.

Yeah, Brock with Magmemite probably wasn't the best of choices. Not only has Magnemite been featured in tons of eps in the past, but I wish they gave Brock a Pokemon with more of a personality?

Then again this is Brock we're talking about, if the tag battle arc is anything to go by, he'll barely get any screentime compared to Ash, Dawn and the rivals anyway.

He tends to do this exact thing all the time in episodes that do center around him. Hell, his entire Pokémon carrier as a breeder is about forging this kind of relationship with his Pokémon.

Besides, he hasn't really taken care of a Pokémon like Magnemite before hasn't he? He may not have the star role, but he's definitely gaining some kind of experience working with a Pokémon that's different from one he's used to taking care of.

That's kinda the idea behind this summer school. Temporarly giving the student a Pokémon that's different from the ones they do own.

I really enjoyed this episode a lot. There were a lot of things about it that were funny. I especially loved how Dawn tried to get Grimer to do all of these poses. I never knew that a Grimer could actually be cute especially since they weren't portayed like that in "Sparks Fly for Magnemite. I especially loved how Conway returned for this arc. It was so funny to see him in his sleep wear and get kicked out. The research assistant getting ticked off was funny too. Overall it was a great episode.

By the way, why was Conway's sleep wear basically like a dress.

Also, anyone notice how Aoi looks like this girl

Q: Why was everybody sad in the end?
A: It's because the red team(the team Satoshi & Aoi belong) has got the lowest score for now, just because of demerits for their two's fightings and sleeping in the class.

^^Really that was the reason. I never knew they were in teams the whole time.

Wow this episode was awesome. I loved every minute, what amazed me the most is the personalities of the POkemon had, especially Raichu and Grimer. Raichu was so cute, and very timid, hiding in his hole. LOL, he a little drama king.

Then Grimer had an interesting personality. It like to have some love. And it likes to cheer. I just liked how Dawn taught some moves to Grimer. I didn't think it can stretch like that.

And Aoi is something else. She has nearly the same personality as Ash. At first I thought she almost have the same voice as Ash and then someone on youtube I saw that she played by the guy from Narato JunKo takeuchi. I might be wrong. The training part, gotta love Monferno is pissed off mode.

I saw Satoshi-tachi looking at a blackboard somewhere near the beginning. Probably that was their team allocation list or something.

>>>At first I thought she almost have the same voice as Ash and then someone on youtube I saw that she played by the guy from Narato JunKo takeuchi. I might be wrong.

Junko Takeuchi is a woman.

She plays Naruto, but she's very much a woman, like Satoshi's seiyuu, Rica Matsumoto.

^ There are three teams. Red, Blue, and Green I'm assuming. So that's the part at the end of the episode. I knew there would be teams but I didn't realize it until now that the ending was the formation of these teams. So it seems that the Red team is Ash, Aoi, Dawn, and Brock, while Conway is on one team (either blue or green), and Jessie is in another (the team that's not Red or Conway's).

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom