• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP093: Dancing Gym Leader! Enter Melissa!!

Also, for someone who's supposed to be ultra feminine, Fantina sure is manly.

Funnily enough, my first thoughts were "she looks more womanly in the anime than she does in the games! o.o"

That's just appearance-wise anyways, so it shouldn't mean much~ but my little sister also likes her design because she adores Heath and as you've said, she looks like Heath in a dress. xDD

Fantina looks awesome!

But for some reason, she reminds me of Imogen Heap... I'm not sure why exactly. o_O

Melissa has always looked manly to me, so I wasn't really surprised that her appearance in the anime mirrors that.

Geodude said:
Was she French in the Japanese D/P?

I haven't played the games in Japanese, so I couldn't tell ya. Maybe someone else can help...?

Bulbapedia just mentions her being an immigrant and speaking in a mix of French and broken English. But in the trivia section I found this tidbit: "In the French version she speaks English, while in the Japanese and German versions she has a noticeable accent." What kind of accent that might be, I can't tell you. So really I guess you could say this was a waste of a post. :X

She speaks the language like she's still getting a hang of it, but no accent that can be pinpointed to any country as far as I know.

The translated games went a step ahead by giving her tossing French words into her speech. xD

So...much...continuity...

- So the episode starts with Melissa fighting Nozomi while the title screen music from one of the movies plays.

- Nyaruma sees little Achamo over its head when it gets dizzy, just like Potchama (?) did earlier in the series.

- And now...Jouto starting music...and it bleeds into the title screen, too!

- Melissa definitely talks like a foreigner speaking Japanese the way she overpronounces everything...it actually reminds me of the way Musashi spoke English in the episode where Takeshi got Gureggru.

- So now Takeshi's hitting on Melissa...

- Melissa sure is tall...

- Wow...the Rocket-Dan remember Adan! Unexpected!!

- Megayanma's laugh cracks me up for some reason.

- And now Satoshi's chastising Melissa for leaving her gym...

- It looks like Nyasu stole Zenigame's angular shades...

- Melissa's faced off against (and lost against) Atsuo, apparently.

- Melissa feels a special bond with Takeshi because he also used to be a Gym Leader.

- Melissa uses random English, which also prompts Takeshi to use random English :p

- Hikari uses her Coin Toss app again!

- So Hikari lost the Coin Toss, apparently.

- And now Takeshi's holding Pinpuku, for no reason.

- Satoshi chooses the rules for the battle...that's different.

- lol at Hikari moving Potchama to teh side so she can use her Coin Toss app again.

- What is Sonansu's sign supposed to be saying? It looks like English and Tajiran had a baby...

- "Battle Fashion!" is Melissa's battle cry.

- Wow...Potchama's head looks HUGE in that shot right after the battle begins.

- Fuwante's Hypnosis attack looks pretty cool...

- So Fuwante beats Buoysel...

- Darkrai movie music!!

- Satoshi forfeits the match even though all his pokemon aren't KO'ed. But he vows to beat her back at the Yosuga Gym.

- So Musashi plans to use the footage of Melissa's Fuwaride to train her Megayanma.

- Nozomi's gotten a third ribbon, apparently. Looks like she's passing on the Kan'nagi Contest, too.

- I don't remember so many Korean names being in the credits before...

Orchid: Riolu

Last edited:
Blackjack Palazzo said:
*refers you to crack theories earlier in thread*

Actually...throughout this whole episode, I kept thinking about how she looked like Heath in a wig.

Well, she definitely is strong in Pokémon battling. Using Hypnosis that many times though... XD Yeah, it's awesome.

That was nice to see Atsuo... might this hint he's going to return? He did say in his episode that he's doing Gyms like Ash (and Leona said that too) and now they bothered to show us he had a battle with Fantina...
It also seems like DP prefers to use the recurring characters instead of one shots so maybe all/most Ash's league rivals will be characters that we already know (we already have Paul, Nando, Atsuo, Leona, Minnie)

I think Zoey said her new ribbon was won by Shellos (which is probably why they made it pink)

This is one of those episodes I want to say I didn't like very much, but there were so many little things I liked that I can't really say that.

Loved all the continuity.

Fuwaride kicked ass.

Melissa was cool, but she kinda weirds me out. I really don't get why her character was designed like that...

But my favorite part was...

- So Musashi plans to use the footage of Melissa's Fuwaride to train her Megayanma.

Yes! Finally! Musashi is using some logic for a change! Training your pokemon before a contest, and basing your training from footage of someone who's really good. What a concept.

- What is Sonansu's sign supposed to be saying? It looks like English and Tajiran had a baby...

DP93_Sign.jpg

I know it's not the best picture, but it looks like it says 3 .O. C. It looked kinda like SOS at first. No clue what it was supposed to mean. It was really random. Just like Kojiro holding Manene at the end and Takeshi holding Pinpuku. I guess everyone felt like holding their pokemon today?

DP 093 "Dancing Gym Leader! Melissa Appears!"

Impressions:

So Melissa is finally making her appearance after 3 passes through the city. It's not surprising that Melissa has a gaijin accent but for a reason I can't comprehend, it seemed jarring (Especially the random English she spouts. Like many say, she gives the vibe of a female Heath. There were some references to old characters made like Adan (Melissa reminded Rocket-dan of him and Atsuo (battled Melissa). The battle against Melissa defied the rules of the game just like any other episode. But it made Fuwante seem like an Uber.

The plot didn't have much other than another visit from Nozomi and the introduction of Melissa. The animation was ok but some of Melissa's side angle seemed off. The music was pretty good with the Jouto battle theme being heard. Overall, this episode deserves an 8.3/10.

And yeah, she looks even more like a man now. I still think she's Tucker in drag.

That was my first thought seeing Pokesho's artwork.

She speaks the language like she's still getting a hang of it, but no accent that can be pinpointed to any country as far as I know.

I heard a lot of Engrish bits and weird accent, so that may be it.

That was nice to see Atsuo... might this hint he's going to return? He did say in his episode that he's doing Gyms like Ash (and Leona said that too) and now they bothered to show us he had a battle with Fantina...
It also seems like DP prefers to use the recurring characters instead of one shots so maybe all/most Ash's league rivals will be characters that we already know (we already have Paul, Nando, Atsuo, Leona, Minnie)

I think Zoey said her new ribbon was won by Shellos (which is probably why they made it pink)

Who are Atsuo and Minnie?

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom