• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP094: Pachirisu Has a Fever! Two People Taking Care!? ・ DP095: Pokémon Contest! Kannagi Tournament!!

Just watched the Pachi filler, it was ok, but it was a pretty standard filler ep to be honest.

One thing I like is how the Pokemon are always out of their Pokeballs now, they feel like real animals, unlike some older seasons why they used to remain locked away in their balls and we hardly ever saw them.

Pachi being sick for the same reason Pikachu was in the first AG episode? Ok, more continuity is nice, but I still find it funny that everytime there's a flashback in D/P, its to either a Kanto or AG episode, whereas we still haven't gotten any major Johto flashbacks.

I didn't expect anything out of the ordinary to happen in the Pachirisu episode. It looked alright, but it does show that Ash and anyone else without Brock is a disaster. That's pretty bad. Ash, if you're still going for that "master" thing, there's other things you need to "master" first, and those ways lead to success.

Gliscor actually looked funny here. I loved the way it was mimicing what happened to Pachirisu, and when it tried to pick up Brock and got injured in the process (is that what happened? not sure). You know, the evolved form makes it even funnier. It's weird if you compare it to Paul's Gliscor.

Well, after seeing other responses on Staravia, but to me it was annoying. Once it was sent out to find Brock, it had that incident with TR, just stood there on a patch of grass, and to me it felt like 15 minutes where it just stood there and tried miserably to get that gunk off its wing. I mean, come on. What would Pidgeotto, or Swellow do? Not gonna even mention Noctowl. Staravia actually had to be saved by a bunch of Wooper. Pathetic.

That flashback of Dawn getting sick and treated by her mother was nice. Dawn's hair...in any scene, even the little scenes, are just amazing in every way. I awe everytime I see it.

The very last part was a nice laugh. Ash completely forgetting Gliscor was out there. Seemed like he didn't realize how long Staravia was out (or did he?).

Ok, more continuity is nice, but I still find it funny that everytime there's a flashback in D/P, its to either a Kanto or AG episode, whereas we still haven't gotten any major Johto flashbacks.

Except Ash's flashback didn't happen that way.

The next episode was good too, but I also wish it was longer. I really, really liked Johanna's old rival. To me, for this whole season, she was one of the respectable contest rivals I like. Just by looking at screenshots here, but she was pretty decent. Her outfit showed me what type of character she was (except that unusual pose she did). I wish we had more people like her as rivals. Even May had a few rivals who were much older than she was. So far Dawn has rivals around her age, but I don't know if this one would count because, didn't she win a festival back in her time? I didn't know that "retired" coordinators could compete again.

I wish I knew what really happened with Ambipom's comeback and give Dawn's win to rule out a D-E-M. But that's a really big step that she defeated her mother's old rival in one shot.

Overall throughout this contest, I realized that Dawn's outfit is really getting old, and that she needs a new one. Also, looking at Johanna's old outfit, seems like there's a parallel here between mother and daughter. Both the "prissy, frilly" types.

and when it tried to pick up Brock and got injured in the process (is that what happened? not sure).
If I'm thinking of the right scene, Brock realized Gliscor couldn't walk properly, so he tried to carry it on his back, but it was way too heavy.

Oh it was Brock carrying Gliscor...ok never mind. Pretty funny though how it went from there.

I didn't expect anything out of the ordinary to happen in the Pachirisu episode. It looked alright, but it does show that Ash and anyone else without Brock is a disaster. That's pretty bad. Ash, if you're still going for that "master" thing, there's other things you need to "master" first, and those ways lead to success.

Too bad the show's about monsters that blow stuff up. Not how to clean your underpants.

If I'm thinking of the right scene, Brock realized Gliscor couldn't walk properly, so he tried to carry it on his back, but it was way too heavy.
Gliscor wasn't even walking though. More of bouncing around on its tail. In the end, it proved to be too heavy, yes?

Pachi's episode was pretty good; it was awesome to see all of the Pokemon so worried about Pachirisu and trying to help it get better.

Piplup's mascoty-ness was at minimum in this episode, which was good, and he even got shot down when he tried to steal the spotlight from Pikachu in helping Dawn cook lunch.

We can never have too many episodes showing the gang taking care of their Pokemon and everyone relaxing.

Also...what was the deal with the berries? Were they the wrong kind or something?

Aww....poor Gliscor; I can't believe everyone just forgot about her like that.

Contest episode...

Continuing with Piplup taking the backseat...good, good. We need more of that.

Heh, Dawn, I can sympathize with your trouble in pulling your hair up. I had the same issues when my hair was long.

...annnd Dawn's stuffed poor Piplup into that stupid cheeleader outfit again. Boo.

How the heck is that pom-pom staying on Swinub's head, anyway? Did Dawn impale it into its head or tape it??

And how did Cherrim change into its Sunny Form when it was INDOORS??

Buneary finally gets to show her stuff in an appeal...but messes up. I think their quick recovery got a good response from the judges. If you mess up, you shouldn't panic, you need to keep going and turn it around, which is just what Dawn and Buneary did.

FINALLY Dawn gets it that Ambipom is better suited to the battle rounds. And she is successful in all the battles because of it.

So Substitute was supposedly used by Delcatty in this episode. Where? I didn't see it.

Aw, Ambipom falls under Cute Charm AND then falls asleep. Is it just me or do sleeping Pokemon seem to be immune to damage in the anime?

And even aimlessly flailing around while under the effects of Cute Charm, Ambipom still manages to dodge Delcatty's attacks.

GALAXY ATTACK, GO!

Ambipom's Swift barrage was awesome.

Urgh..whever I see Dawn hug Ambipom...I just...well, I don't like it. It makes me mad.

Maybe now Dawn will use Ambipom in the Battle Rounds more and less in Appeals. Makes more sense to use your strongest Pokemon in the Battle, but Dawn will probably forget it after this and go back to using Piplup again.

And the gang gets to try on weird outfits and all of the Pokemon get some nice bling to wear. Good way to end the episode.

Last edited:
Piplup's mascoty-ness was at minimum in this episode, which was good, and he even got shot down when he tried to steal the spotlight from Pikachu in helping Dawn cook lunch.

Pip also didn't do anything in Fantina's episode and as far as I remember it didn't do much in the summer school arc or the Psyduck episode or "Hearthome Collection" and it sure doesn't look like it'll play any important role in the Galactic episodes
People should stop exaggerate with it... it doesn't do anything that Pika doesn't... and Pika did it for much longer

Also...what was the deal with the berries? Were they the wrong kind or something?

Ash and Dawn learned from watching Brock that Oran Berry is good in such cases
But the thing they found only looked like Oran but actually wasn't
When Brock came he explained why they didn't find Oran there (I think it's something to do with the ground) and than showed them where to get it
I think he also told Ash and Dawn that one day they might travel alone and should know these things
It's nice to see them learn from Brock... maybe they won't "need" him so much eventually

FINALLY Dawn gets it that Ambipom is better suited to the battle rounds. And she is successful in all the battles because of it.

No one said anything about any Pokémon being "better suited" to a certain round
All the Pokémon can be good at Contests and can do both performance and Contest battles
What was wrong with Ambipom's performance in Wallace? For Solaceon that's Dawn to blame since she didn't think about how the attack covers Ambi

Is it just me or do sleeping Pokemon seem to be immune to damage in the anime?

When Buizel was put to sleep by Drifloon, when it woke up it felt the damage from the attacks it got while it slept... I think... I remember there was something like that

Pip also didn't do anything in Fantina's episode and as far as I remember it didn't do much in the summer school arc or the Psyduck episode or "Hearthome Collection" and it sure doesn't look like it'll play any important role in the Galactic episodes
People should stop exaggerate with it... it doesn't do anything that Pika doesn't... and Pika did it for much longer

It's just nice to get an episode every now and then where Piplup isn't constantly in his "in-your-face" mode; when he takes a break and lets Dawn's other Pokemon take the spotlight.

I think the writers realized that some people are getting sick of Piplup, and that's why Piplup hasn't been extremely mascoty in recent episodes-they don't want to push it too far and make everyone hate Piplup.

There are two main things differing between Pikachu and Piplup being a mascots. One is that Pikachu has a valid reason for being out of his Pokeball-he has a phobia of it. Piplup has never expressed any dislike for being inside his Pokeball, so there's no real need for him to be out all the time.

The second one is that Ash doesn't rely ONLY on Pikachu,he uses his other Pokemon equally, whereas Dawn relies on Piplup and ONLY Piplup about 99.9% of the time. Dawn's been a trainer for nearly 100 episodes and she still hasn't realized that she needs to use all of her Pokemon equally and not rely only on Piplup. If Piplup is going to be a good mascot, he needs to not be treated like he's Dawn's only Pokemon.

Ash and Dawn learned from watching Brock that Oran Berry is good in such cases
But the thing they found only looked like Oran but actually wasn't
When Brock came he explained why they didn't find Oran there (I think it's something to do with the ground) and than showed them where to get it
I think he also told Ash and Dawn that one day they might travel alone and should know these things
It's nice to see them learn from Brock... maybe they won't "need" him so much eventually

Ah, so that's why the first ones they found looked like they were nothing more than blue-skinned apples once they were peeled. At least now Dawn and Ash know what to look for if something like this happens again.

No one said anything about any Pokémon being "better suited" to a certain round
All the Pokémon can be good at Contests and can do both performance and Contest battles
What was wrong with Ambipom's performance in Wallace? For Solaceon that's Dawn to blame since she didn't think about how the attack covers Ambi

I know-it's just that Ambipom has much more battle experience than she does appeal experience and she's Dawn's strongest Pokemon, so I think Dawn should realize that and rely more on Ambipom for battling.

I liked Ambipom's Wallace Cup appeal-but i still believe she's better at battling that performing. And I agree with you about Solaceon-that was Dawns fault; getting overly excited about how "pretty" Swift looked and going overboard as a result.

When Buizel was put to sleep by Drifloon, when it woke up it felt the damage from the attacks it got while it slept... I think... I remember there was something like that

When Turtwig was asleep he got knocked around but didn't seem to get hurt, so maybe it just depends on the Pokemon, or maybe they can FEEL the attacks but aren't actually hurt by them.

There are two main things differing between Pikachu and Piplup being a mascots. One is that Pikachu has a valid reason for being out of his Pokeball-he has a phobia of it. Piplup has never expressed any dislike for being inside his Pokeball, so there's no real need for him to be out all the time.

I also thinks it'd be much better to get an explanation about why Pip is out of ball... but seriously the -real- reason Pika is out of ball is because it's the mascot... and now they want Pip to be the mascot with Pika so they made it out of ball too

The second one is that Ash doesn't rely ONLY on Pikachu,he uses his other Pokemon equally, whereas Dawn relies on Piplup and ONLY Piplup about 99.9% of the time. Dawn's been a trainer for nearly 100 episodes and she still hasn't realized that she needs to use all of her Pokemon equally and not rely only on Piplup. If Piplup is going to be a good mascot, he needs to not be treated like he's Dawn's only Pokemon.

Remember that at the beginning Ash used to use Pika a lot but as time went on he began to use it less and use more his others
I'm sure the same will happen to Dawn and also that it'll happen much sooner
As you said it's already seems like Dawn is using more her others lately so really people shouldn't go crazy with this "hate" for poor Pip

I know-it's just that Ambipom has much more battle experience than she does appeal experience and she's Dawn's strongest Pokemon, so I think Dawn should realize that and rely more on Ambipom for battling.

I think all her Pokémon eventually will have more or less equal amount of performance and battle rounds
They don't seem to think about "this I should use mainly for performance and this mainly for battles"

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom