• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP099: Ryō of The Big Four! The Forest of Meeting and Separation!

Wurmple returned as a Beautifly
The episode stopped a lot of the time so I don't know exactly why it left- I think Aaron shouted at it or something
It knows Solarbeam
And Ash has a flashback to something which again was part where it stopped for me... I guess maybe about Caterpie
Ash flashbacked to when Butterfree was released. Can't say I remember the other Butterfree being pink though but I did see Ash's Buterfree's yellow scarf.

If I had to guess (don't speak Japanese), Aaron left Wurmple behind because I guess it still needed to be in the forest. Wurmple "saved" Aaron so I think Aaron wanted it to stay in case someone else might need it. Although Aaron comes back (but Wurmple's not there) so it must be some other reason.

The other Buterfree looked pink to me. I'm glad we got a flashback of that.

I think it's almost certain that Satoshi will face the Elite 4 now. This episode just screamed that he would.

I wish it was as easy to catch a Gonbe in the games... Team Rocket really should have kept it.

This was a pretty good episode if a bit predictable. Ryo thankfully wasn't as weak as the preview made him out to be, and I thought the story with his Kemusso was really sweet. You know Satoshi is going to have to face that Agehunt when he faces Ryo in battle.

I'm glad we got a back story on why Ryo loves bug pokemon so much. He's my current favorite of the Elite 4 at the moment. I can't wait to see what the writers do when the rest appear.

DP099 "Elite Four Ryō! Forest of Meeting and Separation!"

Impressions:
- So a bunch of fangirls are in line to see Ryō practice
- Junsa as an Elite Four fangirl is kinda hilarious
- Rocket-dan catches a Gonbe but are interrupted somewhat by Spear
- Ryō works out! So Satoshi gives it a try and tires himself out
- Some memory of Kemusso with Ryō shouting at it
- Ryō can jump really high
- Seeing Elite Four Pokémon getting owned by team rocket makes no sense
- Kemusso comes back as Agehunt and Satoshi is reminded of Butterfree

Oakido lecture on Hitokage

The plot seemed to be a "Pokémon leaving trainer to become stronger, and come back" episode that was used in the past. However we got an introduction to a third Elite Four member. There isn't any noticeable BGM other than some strange non lyrical vocals. The animation was shoddy in the beginning but it appeared consistent through the whole episode so no issues there. Overall, this deserves an 8.0/10.

Last edited:

Now, when you say "catch"..... You mean, with a Poké Ball? Cause I can't see any of them catching one in their arms. Of course, this is the same anime where Ash doesn't complain about a heavy Hippopotas hitching a ride on his head...

Getting a good hit in once is not getting owned. Besides, Ryo wasn't even there at the time.

- There isn't any noticeable BGM other than some strange non lyrical vocals.

I believe that's the a capella version of Spurt that played in movie 9.

It's kinda funny we saw some Koroboshi again yet they still haven't been properly introduced. Are the writers just going to ignore them?

I almost forgot. Ryo is the one who is challenging Shirona. Maybe we'll see Jun at the league afterall.

Last edited:
What's with the writers including two of May's Pokemon in the same episode? Beautifly and Munchlax...what?

Its like they did it on purpose given that she's the character everyone associates those two with, (along with the Torchic line)

Aaron's voice was...interesting to say the least. I didn't expect him to sound that way for some reason.

Last edited:
Well the episode was pretty ok. Though anyone could tell that the Wurmple was going to come back as one of its evolved forms and save evryone's butts. Aaron asked Beautifly to stay and train with him right?

DP099 "Elite Four Ryō! Forest of Meeting and Separation!"

Impressions:
- So a bunch of fangirls are in line to see Ryō practice
- Junsa as an Elite Four fangirl is kinda hilarious
- Ryō works out! So Satoshi gives it a try and tires himself out
- Some memory of Kemusso with Ryō shouting at it
- Ryō can jump really high
- Kemusso comes back as Agehunt and Satoshi is reminded of Butterfree

Oakido lecture on Hitokage

The plot seemed to be a "Pokémon leaving trainer to become stronger, and come back" episode that was used in the past. However we got an introduction to a third Elite Four member. There isn't any noticeable BGM other than some strange non lyrical vocals. The animation appeared consistent through the whole episode so no issues there. Overall, this deserves an 8.0/10.

where did you get this episode? did you download this video, but I can find it

So now, knowing all the details about the episode after looking in the #Pocketmonsters site's gallery for this epi, I'm waiting for Unown_ and his HQ shots. Can't wait to see some good Ryou shot and that Elite Four mention.

... Alright, who else is having not-so-good flashbacks of the first series animation?

Some parts are okay and seeing Nyasu do his squinty cat-eyes is adorable and seeing Kojiro and Musashi's hair MOVE (as well as having the tip of her hair curl up that way) is nice, a lot of it is... not so nice. The bodies look like Jouto's over-simplified blocks.

Did this animator's group just come back after leaving the show in Jouto or something?

I must say, however, the art in the flashbacks is really, really cute. I could be biased; Ryou's flashbacks were adorable.

The backgrounds were really nice though, especially that old tree.

I thought Aaron's voice was good :3

Does anyone know what he was yelling at his Wurmple about? I'm guessing that he lost a battle or something....

Okay. This episode aired over 36 hours ago. There are millions of pokemon fans around the world and nobody uploaded it to youtube yet?!

I hope to God that this doesn't happen next week.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom