• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP103: Chaotic Melee in Mio City!

From the pkmn Sunday preview, it looks like James tricked Ash's and co.s pokemon into taking photo and then a net shot out of the camera.

- Chrono Trigger DS commercial :D

- Everyone's on a blimp somehow.

- Mio City is a bunch of islands connected by bridges, apparently.

- How did the Rocket-Dan beat everyone to Mio City?

- Jun doesn't want to release all his pokemon for the group photo, so he only gets out his Empärt.

- Wow...flashback to the maze episode earlier in Shin'ou, much?

- LOL at Jun interrupting the Rocket-Dan's motto with Empart's Hydro Pump.

- Pachirisu and Pikachu are with Nyasu and Manene. Empärt's with Potchama, Pinpuku, and Hayashigame.

- Mukubird and Glion find Satoshi-tachi pretty quickly.

- Confirmation that Satoshi's Mukubird is male...?

- Gureggru's on a random boat just chillin' out XD

- Potchama's back to its old leader self it was in that "Do Your Best, Potchama!" episode

- I want that "Mukubird in love" picture for an avatar :D

- So all the other pokemon were together, huh? Guess the writers didn't want to bother figuring out how to deal with them...

- Why is Pinpuku carrying Hayashigame around?

- Lots of Kanto BGM in this episode...

- Y'know...this would be a great episode to use the often-neglected Movie 5 music due to the setting and all, but I guess the produers didn't think so.

- Since when does Takeshi refer to himself as "ore?" He's pretty much ALWAYS used "jibun."

- Or maybe these angry, Elite Beat Agents-style angry Rocket-Dan images will be my new avatar...

- This episode is really overusing those clock wipe transitions...

- These fantasies wouldn't look as bad if the show was allowed to have actual writing...

- Mukubird is STILL fawning over that fake Mukubird that Kojirou sent out!

- Wow! Manene's fighting!

- Nice use of that song from the Celebi movie...

- Wow...Nyasu is attacking humans again!!

- Nyasu's fighting style reminds me of Captain Kuro's fighting style from One Piece....

- So Japanese writing is no good, but kabuki references are!?

- An instrumental of the Pikachu Kakurenbo song? You don't hear THAT everyday!

- ...and now Jun leaves the group :(

Last edited:
- Chrono Trigger DS commercial :D

- Everyone's on a blimp somehow.

- Mio City is a bunch of islands connected by bridges, apparently.

- How did the Rocket-Dan beat everyone to Mio City?

- Jun doesn't want to release all his pokemon for the group photo, so he only gets out his Empärt.

- Wow...flashback to the maze episode earlier in Shin'ou, much?

- LOL at Jun interrupting the Rocket-Dan's motto with Empart's Hydro Pump.

- Pachirisu and Pikachu are with Nyasu and Manene. Empärt's with Potchama, Pinpuku, and Hayashigame.

- Mukubird and Glion find Satoshi-tachi pretty quickly.

- Confirmation that Satoshi's Mukubird is male...?

- Gureggru's on a random boat just chillin' out XD

- Potchama's back to its old leader self it was in that "Do Your Best, Potchama!" episode

- I want that "Mukubird in love" picture for an avatar :D

- So all the other pokemon were together, huh? Guess the writers didn't want to bother figuring out how to deal with them...

- Why is Pinpuku carrying Hayashigame around?

- Lots of Kanto BGM in this episode...

- Y'know...this would be a great episode to use the often-neglected Movie 5 music due to the setting and all, but I guess the produers didn't think so.

What did the preview for next weeks episode show?

Was it *really* necessary to quote all of that just to ask a simple question?

Besides, the preview hasn't aired yet. When it does, I'll post what I know.

DP103 "Chaotic Melee in Mio City!"

Impressions:
- So everyone jumps from Yosuga to Mio with an airship
- Mio City appears to be a group of islands with bridges connecting them
- This episode seems to be a rehash
- Greggeru in various boats is a sight to behold
- Mukubird in love! Only to find out it was a doll
- Hayashigame being carried by Pinpiku was a hilarious sight.
- Nyarth and his cruel Rocket-dan flashbacks have some funny eyecatches
- Nyarth would make a good television salesman wouldn't he?
- Nyarth going into fight mode was good enough to knock out Emperte
- Takeshi fawns over a random girl
- Jun is gone to Steel island

This episode was pretty random but is has its good share of comedy. This was pretty much a repeat of the Maze episode with the Pokémon separated from their trainers. Though it lacked originality, some scenes were able to keep me entertained. There was a lot of good BGM used here including one from Movie 4. The animation was sell done here with some pretty nice drawings. Overall, I give this episode an 8.0/10.

Random comments made while watching:
> "Come on, Jun, walk into Team Rocket's trap, now"
> EVERYTHING explodes in Pokemon World
> Pachirisu er a tad... simple-minded
> that was quick
> haha, Glion is tearing up
> oh my
> ..Pochama reminds me of me
> ooh, random fanservice
> ...oi
> This episode probably could've benefitted from being a two-parter
> way too little time devotedd to each group
> oh Jun
> haha
> Pachirisu is completely falling for it
> Pokemon POGS!
> they still sell those?
> I was i third grade when I last played with them, I believe
> Why didn't Pikachu's group swim across the lake?
> Pachirisu needs to lay off the sugar
> pretty much every single frame of this episode is cap-worthy
> oh, Mukubird, how awesome you are
> time to play place the flashbacks
> Wolvenyarth?
> where did they come from?
> ...but Emperte got knocked out?
> so, Jun will be back in 3 episodes?
> Naetle is still in the ending
> ...what??
> who the crap knows stuff like that?
> not sure how it passes as a medium question, either

Adamant said:
This episode probably could've benefitted from being a two-parter

I disagree. I felt like the writers were struggling to keep this episode going for the entire 22 minutes.

This was one of those episodes that felt like the writers needed a filler so they threw this together at the last minute. The whole thing felt really rushed. It seemed pointless to have everyone separated only for them to be reunited so fast.

However, this is also one of those episodes that is great because of all the little moments. Mukkubird in love, Manene actually being seen and fighting, Gureggru, Nyasu hilarity, and other moments I know I'm forgetting.

My favorite part was the infomercial where Nyasu was selling some cleaning liquid. Probably because I've seen too many Japanese infomercials like that. :p

Last edited:
Great episode!
It's so sad to see Jun leave... I hoped he'll stay for a few more episodes since he go to Iron Island (I think... right?) but maybe we'll see him in the Riley episodes
Happiny holding Grotle XD Staravia in love XD (now we know Staravia is male) but what I liked the best was the way Croagunk was found XD

I disagree. I felt like the writers were struggling to keep this episode going for the entire 22 minutes.

The Nyarth-in-Pikachu's-group plot could've benefitted from far more screentime than it got, and most of the pokemon groupings weren't given any attention at all. Separation plots like these are good for showcasing different groupings of characters operating together, including some who were previously enemies, and this episode really didn't do that. Said comment was also written halfway through the episode, after Satoshi and friends stumble over another group of their pokemon who didn't get any screentime alone.

It was a funny episode, it really was, but the plot was all over the place, and the entire thing felt like it got slapped together at the last minute. While I did enjoy it, I really hope we'll be spared of this type of plotting in the future.

It was very funny and cute!

I especially loved love-sick Mukubird. xDD

What Jun leaves already? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
I'm a bit upset about this as Jun is my fav character! D:
I hope he doesn't turn into another Todd Snap, he appeared for three episodes back in the first season, then for another three in the third, then he left for good!

I thought Jun said something about after Ash beats byron he will be his rival so then I thought he would be with the group until Ash does beat Byron or maybe I'm wrong because they're already rivals...

Wow, Brock sure was fast at getting to the random pretty girl of the day XD
I almost fell off my chair because he zoomed away so quickly.

Meowth was hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing throughout the entire "ninja-cat-gives-a-woopin'" scenario after Meowth got so emotional over seeing Jessie and James get hit by Buizel's Sonicboom resulting in a huge explosion (wut?).

Staravia's "._." face after the Muku.bot fell down the river was hilarious as well.

Overall, a nice, enjoyable and funny episode. Who cares about reasonable plot when you have heaps of funny moments? Then again, I'm a sucker for those.

As am I. I need mindless sillyness to brighten my mood every once in a while. Definately in my top 10 episodes. Easily the highlight of my week.

How'd Chimchar get back to the group? He just suddenly appeared alongside them. o_o
Ah, nvm. He was with that big group. My bad!

Staravia is easily the most humanlike and lovable birds Ash ever had. "How the hell did I get here?!"

It's about time Giscor glomped Ash again. Too cute.

That random infomercial came out of NOWHERE! Is the dub leavng in the Kanji like DP 044?

Japan has such better commercials than America. However, those toys do look like junk.

Last edited:
Satoshi did look Iwane-ish at some parts of the episode, especially when he was smiling with his mouth open, so maybe you're right.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom