• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP107: Rampald VS Torideps!!

this was definitely not a "so-so" episode just because you didn't know the japanese! it was a perfect episode and byron/roark's fans in japan are all freaking out with joy. they gave us their backstory, flashbacks, and had us in tears. if you love this father/son (and comprehended the story) this episode was perfect.

you can read my quick summary about the backstories here.
http://heerosferret.livejournal.com/845612.html

i will also spend this weekend subtitling this episode and posting to youtube!

Or maybe I think it's a so-so episode because I don't care that much about fossils or either gym leader? I did like the father/son stuff, but that doesn't mean I think it's this really great fantastic episode.

Saying someone didn't like it because they couldn't fully comprehend everything that's going on and will think it's perfect once we comprehended the story is kind of insulting.

Yay so I actually understood everything! That Byron abandoned his family to go to Canalave for fossils, forcing Roark to be the new Oreburgh Gym Leader and I was also right the fossil Roark found was a Sunkern's leaf

...Now I know why we never see poor Sunkern! It's extincted! Maybe Kricketot as well

And yeah I agree despite all the flashbacks and that this wasn't really that great episode
But it was funny how Byron love fossils exactly the same way Gardenia loves grass types
He's excited from holes in the ground and he said TR can't be evil if they dig such holes (right?) just like Gardenia said grass types' trainer can't be evil
I immediately thought about Gardenia when I watched it, forget to talk about it in my previous post

I really enjoyed this episode. I think the fact that they actually gave Roark and Byron a backstory was wonderful! The little Roark flashback was also so very adorable *__* Also I loved the way Byron fanboy'd all over the holes and didn't even notice his fossil collection was gone until Roark pointed it out. It was hilarious XD
I swear all the Sinnoh gym leaders are crazy, but it's a good happy crazy :D Byron and Roark love their fossils, yes they do <3 And in Byrons case, he also loves beautifully dug holes!! XD

So they did have talk about fossils and other fossils Pokémon? Too bad that I can't understand Japanese.

Nothing too memorable about this one. It seemed pretty uninspired to me. "Lets just crank out an episode because we're getting paid for it."

The only stand out parts were Tougan's high pitched voice, little Roark and Pikachu hugging Ash.

"Saying someone didn't like it because they couldn't fully comprehend everything that's going on and will think it's perfect once we comprehended the story is kind of insulting."

Aw, that's not what I mean =( It seemed like another reply you made said "so-so, but i didn't understand the story so..." that's all.

well, for byron/roark fans, this episode was top :)

they did discuss a bit about fossils and how they work, and had some interesting insight into how there are fossils of pokemon other than just dinosaur/fossil pokemon (like sunkern). also that giant pokemon did exist way back when!

HELLO GIN <3

This was definitely one the best episodes in a long time, and I'm not just saying that out of my unrivaled love for the two. Byron's voice was perfect, especially in fanboying-over-a-hole mode. Little Roark. My life is complete.

Filler? Trainers of the day and recycled pokemon-get-separated stories are filler. Gym leader backstories of this magnitude are not filler. This episode was brilliant and you'll get your boring old plots after they leave Canalave.

Filler is NOT another word for boring
This episode was not filler yet DP 39 "Steamboat Willies!"/"Pikachu in charge" was SO much better in my opinion despite it's a "filler"
There are a LOT of fillers that are much better than some plot
It doesn't matter if an episode is "filler" or not, if you enjoyed it than it's great

To be honest I don't really consider any episode of Pokémon as a "filler". I consider each and every one of them "A Pokémon episode" regardless of what the episode is about :D The show tends to rely a lot on them meeting new people and new Pokémon and it's the way it's always been. I've always considered even that as "part of the story". And episodes like say "Pikachu in Charge", shows us interactions between characters, how they work and play together, continually showing their personalities ect.

I don't think Pokémon has any real definition between what is filler and what is not like some other shows.

The best way you can showcase a Pokemon is through filler anyway.

That is so true. A pokémon can have a full ep screentime in a filler, but in a battle, they probably only get about 5 mins screentime before being KO.

Filler is a word that is too often misused. Pokémon has never been a show with constant plot progression as it is.

So did Piplup even do anything in this episode? After actually being worthwhile last week, the Togepi parallel came on stronger than ever here.
Just me or did Hikari just get another pantyshot?
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/117/perhapsanotherhikaripaned6.png
O_O
thanks to Kinoshita, we now know that Hikari also has a pink pair.
That's just the back of her dress. :dodgy:

So did Piplup even do anything in this episode? After actually being worthwhile last week, the Togepi parallel came on stronger than ever here.

Talk about ruining a good thing. I wish Piplup didn't appear in the episodes where it wasn't needed. Remember in early DP when Piplup was actually a good and popular Pokemon?

Its like the writers took the positive fan reaction to Piplup too seriously and wound up ruining its character. I miss the days when Piplup would fight with Dawn and peck her face, its a shame what they did to its personality.

But it's just like Ash and Pikachu
Most likely, the writers intended on stop have them fight and turn them into best friends just like they did with Ash and Pika
Also, an important part of Dawn's story was her derpression and her loses and they had to make Pip worry about her and support her, they couldn't let Pip fight with her when she wants to cry all the time
I really don't get why people want Dawn/Pip or Dawn/Zoey to have different kind of relationships with each other... I really think they did it the best way and it suit Dawn's story perfectly... can't people accept some friendly characters? why all the characters have to be "mean"? in a series where we have characters like J and Paul, I really think some friendly characters can't hurt

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom