• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DP108 Title revealed

And if a trade puts one of the Pokemon involved into a bad situation where it will get shafted continuously and never reach its full potential due to its new trainer's incompetence *coughDawnandAmbipomcough*, then YES, the trade deserves to be shown in a bad light.

On the contrary, I believe Buizel and Ambipom weren't reaching their full potential untill they where traded. Niether of them where suited for their trainers battle style and now look a them.

Buizel beat a gym leader and is a powerhouse on Ash's team. I haven't seen Ambipom win anything but he did well in the Solaceon contest.

Yes, PDL, my opinion's a "load of bull", as you put it, because it's different than yours and I had the audacity to defend it. THAT makes sense. *rolls eyes* But anyways, I don't want to argue with you anymore either, so...

I'll just reply to this and move on.

On the contrary, I believe Buizel and Ambipom weren't reaching their full potential untill they where traded. Niether of them where suited for their trainers battle style and now look a them.

Buizel beat a gym leader and is a powerhouse on Ash's team. I haven't seen Ambipom win anything but he did well in the Solaceon contest.

Buizel wasn't, but Aipom/Ambipom is a BATTLER, and was doing fine with Ash. Notice AMbipom only truly does well when Dawn uses her in battles? It's because that's were Ambipom truly shines. BATTLES.

But back on topic.

Since Ash doesn't have any room in his team (and he will keep Gliscor on his team), it leaves Dawn and Brock. I should say Dawn gets it, since Dawn needs a more stable powerhouse. Sure, Piplup and Ambipom are good, but Rilou would help Dawn in Contests, with a wide range of moves...

Yes, I agree. Brock already has his hands full with a baby Pokemon (even though Happiny isn't like other baby Pokes), so he won't get it. Riolu would be much better of with Dawn than with Ash. The only problem is Riolu would be used once or twice, then it would be shafted like all but one of Dawn's Pokemon unless things change soon.

However, I'm ALL FOR someone other than Ash getting Riolu. He doesn't need it.

Still, I don't seen the Riolu egg plot happening in the anime at all.

Last edited:
It is common knowledge that Ash has already got six Pokemon an mustn't carry more than these six with him. So, most of you suppose that he will replace one of his current Pokemon with the possible Riolu egg (most likely, it'll be Gliscor). I also support this view, because it's the only sensible reason that could account for Gligar's early evolution.
BUT what if the plot turns out to be entirely different than we expected?

Think about the following scenario:
Ash comes to the decision that there's no need for him to substitute one of his Pokemon, because they all (!) still need more training. That could mean no Riolu for Ash!! But where would actually be room for Lucario's pre-evo?
Could Brock get Riolu in the end?

Just remember how long we Riolu-For-Ash -Fans have been looking forward to this desire coming true. It would be a shame if the writer messed it up!

Personally I still think that there are enough cast members to work with and we don't need to shoehorn another, no matter how special it seems.

Better yet, it fits with the whole "Lucario is the new Milotic" trend that seems to be occurring.

If anything, Brock will get it. He is the breeder, and it'll probably be a shy little thing that he "brings into the world through friendship" and shit.

I thought it would be cool if Riolu/Lucario didn't belong to any of them and it just traveled along with them as a fourth companion. But now that I think about it, it wouldn't be able to participate in any official battles. I'd want Lucario to do more than fight Team Rocket over and over again.

If anything, Brock will get it. He is the breeder, and it'll probably be a shy little thing that he "brings into the world through friendship" and shit.

I love the idea of any Riolu coming into the main cast's team being shy, timid, and/or not liking to battle. It'll be such a nice change of pace from all the gruff, tough Lucario's we've had shoved in our faces.

I'm on Boycott

Sorry, I suddenly remember now who I'm talking with
I just won't bother anymore

I seriously doubt the trade was planned from the start

It's a fact - like it or not
It's not a coincidence Aipom watched in interest the GF and it also isn't a coincidence Zoey suggested in early DP that Aipom should be given to Dawn
Same with Buizel and how emphasize on Ash wanting it (it went into Ash's ball before Dawn caught it and Ash repeated that he wanted it after Dawn got it) and how Buizel was confused by Contest style and shown as a "fighter"

The trade was planned
So was Chimchar for Ash
The writers never thought for a second to change the usual team of Pika/flying/grass starter/fire/water
And I guess they'll never change that

And trades WERE shown as a bad thing until now... the main characters didn't want to trade since they'll lose their friends that they like and care for
They don't view them as items that you can just trade for something "better"
So they had to find a way to make a trade between main characters (that is a fresh interesting idea) seem to be for the Pokémon's sake

And if a trade puts one of the Pokemon involved into a bad situation where it will get shafted continuously and never reach its full potential due to its new trainer's incompetence *coughDawnandAmbipomcough*, then YES, the trade deserves to be shown in a bad light.

"shafted"... yeah right... people extremely exaggerate with this "___ neglect his/her Poké" to ridiculous levels
Ambi was used in EVERY Contest since Dawn got it... you can't complain
And Ambi isn't shown as weaker or something like that... you just say so because you don't like the trade

Buizel wasn't, but Aipom/Ambipom is a BATTLER, and was doing fine with Ash. Notice AMbipom only truly does well when Dawn uses her in battles? It's because that's were Ambipom truly shines. BATTLES.

False
Like it or not - the fighter is Buizel while Aipom prefer Contests
"was doing fine with Ash"? It just couldn't get into the training and focused on watching Dawn's trainings and watch with her Contest on TV while Buizel ignore everything enjoying his punchs than Buizel had a similar problem of preferring Ash's trainings
Ambi wants Contests - as Ash's it won't be able to do them at all
Buizel want "real fights" like its battle with Lucario... it want to battle people like elite four members and again that something Ash would do and not Dawn

Ambi doesn't do any better in battles
Some people stupidly invent that a certain Poké is better for performance or battles but the fact is the every Poké can be equally good in both rounds
Ambi did great performance in Jubilife, unofficial and Wallace... Solaceon wasn't good because Dawn made a mistake, not Ambi (oh no! a human makes a mistake! how stupid she is! ...like you don't make mistakes -_- Dawn is great... she's just human)

I haven't seen Ambipom win anything but he did well in the Solaceon contest.

"He"? Ambi is female - fact, in the Japanese version May said it was a female in that scene where it put flowers on its head and same episode it blushed because of Ash, the English version also called Aipom a "girl" during the scene the female Poké danced with dress, Dawn call Aipom a female in the DP48 recap episode, Ambi is happy to wear maid outfit with Buneary while Ash/Pika/Turtwig are embarrassed, Ambi got in love with Delcatty because of Delcatty's Cute Charm and Brock explain Delcatty is male while Ambi is female

He is the breeder

Which have nothing to do with eggs at all

brings into the world through friendship

Yeah I know, only Brock can be a good friend for his Poké
Ash and Dawn? they're worse than Paul!

And it's stupid people continue that "Ash has 6 Poké" thing... how many times should I repeat this? it's still possible to happen... they can:
- send someone to Oak and have Riolu "replace" it for now
- send Riolu itself to Oak
- have Ash change his team regularly so we won't even feel anyone gets Oak'd - one episode Riolu is there while Grotle at Oak's and the next one Riolu is there while Staravia at Oak's and next one Riolu isn't there at all... it'd be like Ash has 7 at the same time and we'd see enough from everyone

I also think whoever gets Riolu - it won't do much until the next saga (that's why it won't hurt to Oak Riolu itself or take it from Oak only for certain battles... it'll shine only from next saga)

The reason people are bringing up the fact Ash has a team of six already is because he hasn't had it for that long. He only got Gliscor a few months ago and he's about to get Grotle. Since those two are clearly not going to leave lets look at the other options.

Buizel and Chimchar are Ash's water and fire type. Plus Buizel is Ash's star Sinnoh Pokemon and Chimchar has a connection to Shinji. That leaves Staravia but I don't see it getting Oak'd either because it's the traditional bird Pokemon that pops Team Rocket's ballon and gets rid of smoke.

Continue to ignore what I say about the possibility of change the team regulalrely in a way that it's like Ash has all 7 (and the possibility to Oak Riolu itself and not use it at all in Sinnoh or only for important battles- than take it next saga)

If that's the case then I'd rather Ash never ever got Riolu. It totally kills the point of him having it. Especially with his horrible habit using certain Pokémon way less than the others.

I love the idea of any Riolu coming into the main cast's team being shy, timid, and/or not liking to battle. It'll be such a nice change of pace from all the gruff, tough Lucario's we've had shoved in our faces.

I'd rather have this "plotline" done with another species. Brock receiving a Pokémon that has emotional difficulties would be a great way to make him more interesting.

But not with a Riolu.

You know how much complaining there would be if Brock got a Lucario? Lucario is a fighter Pokemon, one you expect to see in battle, and Brock is hardly ever in any serious battles.

That's why Brock gets comedic Pokemon like Croagunk and Sudowoodo, or babies like Happiny (and Bonsly). The writers know they're not going to put Brock in major battles often so they don't give him Pokemon that would be more popular with battlers like Ash, Dawn or one of the rivals.

It doesn't help matters that people still have mixed feelings about Brock being in DP in the first place, Lucario would only tip things over the edge. :p

=It just couldn't get into the training

Except the trade episode was the first time that happened, having Aipom being unable to focus coming out of nowhere didn't make ANY sense.

You're right, I DON'T like the trade and I never will, I think it should never have happened, and I do think (there's hints in a lot of episodes)that Ambipom will eventually go back to Ash, but not for a while, unless he does Oak/release someone (Staravia, please).

Okay, I started the trade debate, I'm ending it. Let's stop arguing over it, okay?

If a popular Pokemon like Riolu DOES make its way into the main cast ( and I really hope it doesn't) I don't think they'd oak it. They'd want to shove it in our faces by keeping it on the main team of whoever caught it.

The main reason I don't want Ash (or anyone, really) to get Riolu is because the whole "aura" thing is played out. And of course a Riolu as Ash's Pokemon (or even not as his) would most likely involve aura at some point, but enough's enough. No more, please! NO MORE!

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom