• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP121: The Lonely Yukikaburi! / DP122: Evolution! This Time for Pochama!?

DP122 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
This is the 4th episode of Pocket Monsters Anime Premier 10. It was chosen by Shiori Sato, Makoto's voice actress.

Animation:
Team Iguchi
Screenplay: Shinzō Fujita
Storyboard: Masaru Koyama
Assistant director: Masaru Koyama
Animation director: Izumi Shimura

• Dawn and co. stay at a Pokémon Center and meet up with Barry and Kenny, who are BFFs now.
  • They learn about the upcoming Ping-pong Tournament held in town.
  • Piplup begins to glow, everyone's excited, but he uses Bide. The process stops and he faints.
  • While Piplup rests at the Center, the group talk about how evolution will change both Dawn's Contest planning and battle strategies.
  • My lurking boys note that Dawn has Piplup, Kenny has a Prinplup and Barry owns an Emploeon. Perfect evolution set for stealing!
  • During the night, Piplup ponders and imagines himself as a Prinplup. Dawn comes to see him.
  • Dawn keps talking about how nice evolving would be, totally ignoring that umm... maybe there's a reason Piplup stopped the process before?. Understandably, he gets angry and runs away.
  • Dawn alerts everyone. They decide to split up and conveniently leave her all alone. Nice.
  • Dawn finds Piplup, who runs away again only to become trapped in an Ariados' web. They fight them off together, then recall how similar it was to the day they first met.
  • Everyone reunites. Team Rocket shows up and steals Piplup with their mecha. They've already stolen Kenny's Prinplup and Barry's Emploeon too, so they run off.
  • Dawn infiltrates into the mecha and threatens Team Rocket. Piplup escapes and shows up there too.
  • Piplup says (translated by Meowth) that he wants to fight alongside Dawn forever as a Piplup, just like the day they first met. Meowth understands.
  • Piplup and Dawn destroy the mecha, releasing Prinplup and Empoleon as the others arrive.
  • Piplup prevents its evolution again and sends Team Rocket blasting off. Dawn apologizes for not understanding him before.
  • The next day, Nurse Joy gives Dawn an Everstone to carry with her. How in tarnation does this work in the anime isn't explained, she just keeps it.
  • They all prepare for the upcoming Contest and Ping-pong Tournament.

Well, this is a nice episode, except that Piplup's reason for not evolving is kinda lame. It is a valid reason kinda, but when put like that, you could also use it as an excuse to not teach him any new moves, to not catch new Pokémon, to not improve any of their skills, etc. That said, it's still good that they gave us a full disclosure on this. Compare it to Iris, who actually wanted for Axew to evolve, yet it never happened despite constantly battling together.

By the way, I love how James doesn't want Piplup to evolve because that would mess up their evolution set. Barry being in this episode was a highlight too, like every other episode he was in. I miss that guy. Still, it's not like he or anyone other than Dawn did much here. Not even Prinplup and Empoleon, they just served as damsels in distress without even putting a fight.

So, what do you guys think about this episode? This was right before Dawn's loss to Kenny and Ambipom's release, so keep in mind... Oh, scratch that. Ambipom didn't even appear here despite this ping-pong stuff will end up being important for her. So much for proper build-up.

Scenes from the 1st DP episode were re-drawn in HD, by the way:
1IgkhR2.png

...Oddly enough, they didn't do this for other flashbacks within the DP series, if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
First time watching this with no prior information about it, I could tell that Piplup didn't want to evolve from all that Biding. It took an enormous amount of restraint on my part to avoid yelling at his obtuse trainer beyond the screen for not picking up on this sooner.

Wow! I didn't know we already had review threads back then! Now I wonder when did this thing started?...

What do you mean?
I'm pretty sure he means that Piplup using Bide so much to stop his evolution made it pretty obvious that he didn't want to evolve. I actually agree, they made this too obvious, so Dawn ended up looking way too oblivious.

I'm pretty sure he means that Piplup using Bide so much to stop his evolution made it pretty obvious that he didn't want to evolve. I actually agree, they made this too obvious, so Dawn ended up looking way too oblivious.
Right on the nose. I haven't watched the OS episode in question for a while so my recollection might be a bit off, but I feel like it took Ash less time to figure this out with Bulbasaur. It didn't really help Dawn's case here that we have something to measure her against.
All that said though, I was quite glad when she and Piplup finally came to their understanding.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom