• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP124: Pokémon Ping Pong Tournament! Eteboth Does Her Best!!

PKMN_Veteran

Since 97'
Reaction score
DP 124"Pokémon Ping Pong Tournament! Eteboth Gives it All!!"

[bp=DP124]Bulbapedia link[/bp]

- Hikari with Eteboth and Satoshi with Pikachu are seen playing ping pong
- Dirteng seen playing ping pong

Airs April 16 at 19:00 JST on TV Tokyo.

Last edited:
Re: DP 124 "Pokémon Ping Pong Tournament! Eteboth Gives it All!!" Preview Thread

What the heck was with the preview? Is the quiz going to eat up its time now?

Anyway, it's pretty obvious what's going to happen, so people may as well start the bitching now. :-(

Re: DP 124 "Pokémon Ping Pong Tournament! Eteboth Gives it All!!" Preview Thread

Rocket Girl said:
Anyway, it's pretty obvious what's going to happen, so people may as well start the bitching now.
I thought that you were sure it wouldn't happen. Did anything happen in the recent episode that has changed your mind?

Yes. They spent just as much, if not more time talking about the ping pong thing than the Contest itself. Most of that having to do with Eteboth being good at it or liking it or something like that. They even mentioned during the contest battle itself how Eteboth was fighting like it was playing ping pong or words to that effect.

If she's not leaving then this is one hell of a fake out.

WOAH! She is most likely leaving then. Well I can't say I am not shocked just wow if they do fake it out then they seriously learned this generation what exactly dark humor is. But I doubt it and they will get rid of her. Oh well what can we do. I mean we need space for a Johto starter and the 5th gen pokemon!*shot*

From the sounds of it, it'll be weird if she doesn't leave then? Wow writers, you've handled Eteboss so well after the trade 'huh? Guess this is just the final nail in the coffin.

I agree that, given the amount of attention they gave Eteboth's ping pong skills, we'll likely see the last of it next week.
Can't say I'm particulary thrilled with the scenario. After all the effort to plug how much it loves Contests, it's seems pretty weak to throw all that away because of some sudden talent for Ping Pong, of all things.

It looks like it'll be a fun episode regardless. I mean, you can't really go wrong with Jun and flailing one's arms around wildly to hit a ball.

Basically like I said in the preview thread. Any of you watch Family Guy? You know the second Olivia episode where she's cutting the ribbon at some store opening, and there's this guy saying how he loves kids and slaps this guy in the face with pictures of his kids? Well that's what this felt like. Like the writers were slapping us in the face with Eteboth liking ping pong.

Oh look, Eteboth is good at ping pong! Did you not notice that? Let's look at it again! It even battles that way in the contest! Isn't that interesting? Let's talk about how interesting that is! ETEBOTH LIKES PING PONG! *SLAP* *SLAP* *SLAP*

It really felt that bad.

Well then I guess this episode will help us feel what its like to get slapped by 2 giant ping pong balls. *shot*

Dawn releasing one of strongest Pokemon this close to the Grand Festival is a ridiculous move.

I don't understand why the writers do things that they know will purposely piss off the audience. It's like in every region they always do something that's incredibly stupid.

Ambipom being released right after a contest loss doesn't sit well with me either. So what message do we get here? You lose a contest and you just forget about coordinating and move on to ping pong?

Lol...

I'd rather it be one of her weaker Pokemon that was leaving than Ambipom. But this really seems like some last minute idea. :\

Exactly. I mean, I don't care for Ambipom that much either way, but the writers getting rid of it now, after everything that's happened, is just completely ridiculous.

It's the most stupid thing the writers ever did and will do
I don't know why but this is irritating me even more then "bigger" things like when Misty/May left
Maybe because it was extremely stupid with not any little logical reason to do so and done in such a stupid way
I hope it'll at least return for the GF... and hopefully realize Contests/Dawn/Ash are better than ping pong and stay with them... but yeah right... -_-

Well, yeah. At least when Misty and May left, they had their reasons. Misty had to go look after the gym and May wanted to do contests in Johto.

But Ambipom leaving to play ping pong? I have never in my life heard of something more absurd.

Maybe its only temporary, like the way Charizard and Squirtle came back?

Can I go into a discussion thread without the entire fanbase jumping the gun and saying it's fact? I mean, it does seem like it's leaving, but come ON people. At the very least, wait until the episode airs. >_>

I'll say it right now, if it isn't leaving, my sig comment's going to blast you ALL. =)

It kinda makes me lol when you think about it.

Ambipom: "Hey guys, I'm gonna forget my dreams of competing in the Grand Festival and play ping pong for the rest of my life! :D"

rofl.

The only way Ambipom won't leave at this point is if it pulls the same thing Pikachu did in "Pikachu's Goodbye," where it chooses to stay with the trainer despite it being loved somewhere else.

Especially considering that ping pong isn't exactly something one sets their dreams on. It's not a sport, it's an activity. Tennis is a sport; Ping Pong is a wussy version of tennis.

This is basically why I'm still skeptical about this even now.

People really shouldn't get so depressed about Ambipom leaving. IF it's leaving. And even if it does, maybe Dawn will catch a stronger Pokemon.

(Though I wish they would have came up with a different reason for it leaving. I mean, ping pong isn't even that important or apparently competitive in the Pokemon world and it make things rather selfish on Ambipom's part).

And don't blast the writers unless you can write the series(without making it horrible OOC fanfiction) yourself.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom