• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP124: Pokémon Ping Pong Tournament! Eteboth Does Her Best!!

I guess I just didn't explain myself very well then. All I meant was that it wasn't the same since Takeshi didn't just sit in the audience with Kojiro the whole time, which is obviously what they both did in that HC episode.

I guess I just didn't explain myself very well then. All I meant was that it wasn't the same since Takeshi didn't just sit in the audience with Kojiro the whole time, which is obviously what they both did in that HC episode.

Brock didn't really do much more than James in today's ep...

Episode thoughts:

Kojirou x Takeshi is my new OTP, expected release, not enough Jun (NOT EVEN COMPLAINING THAT HE LOST? I MEAN, SERIOUSLY), the best part of the episode was the Chiisaki Mono instrumental, and I'm glad Eteboth got to pick wherever it wanted, but think it's retarded that all Satoshi/Hikari history got thrown in the toilet.

A pretty good release episode, because there was no emocry involved.

I keep forgetting about Jun. You have to wonder if that was the writer's intentions, to have everyone so wrapped up with Eteboth that we don't even realize Jun just disappeared.

He was once again awesome for the short few episodes he was here. Hopefully it wont be too long before we see him again.

I'm not going to talk about Eteboss - it's all already been said.

Is Jun going, staying, what? He didn't even say byebye!

I hate that Takeshi/especiallyKojiro never do anything, but I think the writers are making a little joke with the 2 3rd wheels being all buddy-buddy like that :p

Musashi's outfit was good for a change. I LOLed at Nyasu's destruction of the ball! Satoshi's nerves were also really cute ^^

Lovely music. AD was Iwane, I expected nothing less than the awesomeness we got.

I get the feeling Jun being in this ep was more of an afterthought, he didn't really need to be here.

I'm hopeful we might see Ambipom again by the Grand Festival. It may be unlikely but its always possible.

Ambipom's release will prove to be a good thing in the long run. She was handled poorly from day one, and even after the trade only really had one big moment (defeating Lila) At least now there's a better chance that poor Buneary and Mamoswine will get some attention, hopefully both will be used in the next Contest, which hopefully will be Dawn beating Nando, as he's the only rival she hasn't yet beaten.

Now I wonder when I will be burned at the stake for saying this.

I actually thought Ambipom was handled quite well in the series up to this ep.

It was easily one of Dawn's best Pokemon, and it's a shame to see it go. I think the bigger problem is the writers made a big deal out of Ambipom's love of contests for nothing.

To think, all that Ash/Dawn history with Aipom...it was all for nothing now. That trade now seems to only benefit Ash, Ash got a Buizel out of the deal...what did Dawn get?

She was handled poorly from day one

No

and even after the trade only really had one big moment (defeating Lila)

She wasn't overused but also not neglected...
Since the trade:
- DP60: Learn a new attack (Double Hit), saved Dawn from the Unown, evolved into Ambipom
- DP61: Participated at the Solaceon Contest, didn't pass performance (so what if it lost? this is a Contest... and the loss was more Dawn's fault anyway, it perfectly did what Dawn wanted)
- DP67: Dawn's Gym battle VS Maylene (beat Meditite, lost to Lucario)
- DP77: Participared at the Wallace Cup Contest (pass the performance)
- DP95: Participated at the Celestic Contest (won the battles round)
- DP119: Helped Dawn with her other Poké
- DP123: Participaed at a Contest, passed performance and made it to final battle but lost
- DP124: Paticipated at PPP and lost, found its love for PPP, left

It also was in some little scenes (cheer in battles, sit with the girls early in the DP78, trained with Dawn's other Poké in DP75, helped battle bad guys with Dawn's other Poké in DP72, helped with something in movie 11 and while wasn't big it was more than poor Pachi/Gliscor got in that movie)

I know it didn't do so much, but it also isn't as bad as some make it
At least we have thew new ANA short to look forward to - I just hope Ambi appears there (it'll be released in June)

poor Buneary

Poor Bunny?! What are you talking about? Have you even watched the show during the last year?... Bunny is Dawn's second-to-Pip and is used a lot and appears a lot...

and Mamoswine will get some attention, hopefully both will be used in the next Contest,

It'd probably happen even if Dawn kept Ambi

which hopefully will be Dawn beating Nando, as he's the only rival she hasn't yet beaten.

She never beat Zoey (making better than her in Wallace Cup is not equal to beat her)

I just saw the episode. I was surprised Ambipom left. Looks like Chimchar is the only monkey-related pokemon that wasn't released for good

Everyone who is saying Ambipom was poorly handled needs to step back and actually examine her history.

I'm sad Ambipom is gone...because of Aipom's anime appearance was so big, it made me like Aipom. Then it got an evolution and now Ambipom is one of my best Pokemon...oh well...

I'm actually going to agree with Sketch on that. Before Aipom joined the anime cast, I didn't particularly care for the Pokémon at all. But since it joined, I managed to grow and like the purple monkey quite a bit, and the 4th gen managed to make it much more useful then before. A Technician-boosted Fake Out coming off a 100 base attack and 115 speed is going to sting.

^don't bother with game mechanic's in the anime they have no place here.

In any case as i've said over at Serebii, i wonder how Zoey will react to this development, Kenny probably won't care since he could tell Ambipom was into ping pong and Jessie probably won't care much either.

Zoey however was very instrumental in the trade to begin with so one has to wonder what will happen when she learns Dawn let it go off to do something else.

Yeah, it seems pretty obvious Hikari will be getting a new Pokémon soon, if only so Buoysel isn't alone in the opening. Now, which Pokémon will that be?

Johto starter. Cyndaquil, I'd bet.
After 600 episodes, there's only so much you can do with a character that doesn't have a goal.

If Jessie didn't become a coordinator, it would be the same with her.

That's why they should have made Jesse want badges and James be a Coordinator.

^don't bother with game mechanic's in the anime they have no place here.

I'm only explaining how the anime made me appriciate a Pokémon that turns out to be useful in the games. So learn to read before replying "ANIMEZ IZ NOT GMAE".

Last edited:
O_O. it actually happened. *falls over...head explodes*.

It boggles the mind. Almost EVERYTHING else in the DP series is fantastic, and yet the writers continue to make me hate them for almost everything having to do with the Aipom/Buizel trade. *shoots self*.

I'm sad Ambipom left, I really liked it. Story wise, it's not like I'm disappointed at the series or the writers for doing this but I'm shocked that it actually happened. It has been awhile since a pokemon from the main characters' team was released so it's kinda weird seeing it today.

It boggles the mind. Almost EVERYTHING else in the DP series is fantastic, and yet the writers continue to make me hate them for almost everything having to do with the Aipom/Buizel trade. *shoots self*.

I actually find the trade so hilariously ironic in retrospect.

Now it seems like Ash got a strong Buizel out of the deal...and Dawn is left empty-handed.

It's actually funny in a, "WTF were the writers thinking?" kind of way.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom