• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP124: Pokémon Ping Pong Tournament! Eteboth Does Her Best!!

^Someone seems a bit bitter about it....

Hmm, well it's interesting to see Ambipom go. I must admit, I didn't like her very much for some reason, so it doesn't really matter. If we see it again, then alright. If not, no biggie.

Now it seems like Ash got a strong Buizel out of the deal...and Dawn is left empty-handed.

So a couple of contests pretty much mean nothing?

Keep in mind, they've already shown off all the could with Ambipom, how it evolves and it's abilities in general (An agile normal type that's designed to hit fast and hard). There is a reason why most Pokémon in the main cast remain unevolved for a long time. It's due to the fact that evolution tends to be used as a marker for character development in Pokémon, and they apparently "peak" when they hit their final evolved form.

Poor Ambipom's gone. Why couldnt she get rid of Buneary and Pachirisu? ugh.

So did she say she'd ever come back for it?

I think Ash/Dawn said they'd visit it someday, but don't hold your breath for that to mean anything. (Hello: Pidgeot)

This release didn't really make any sense. Usually each release benefits the Pokemon in some way, (Butterfree fell in love, Lapras was reunited with its family), but this love for ping pong came out of virtually nowhere.

This Pokemon went through a trade and all that development to be a contest Pokemon, and then it gives it all up in the span of one episode.

In all seriousness this is the first thing in DP that has really bothered me. I suppose I'll stop caring as the series progresses, but right now it's the most moronic thing the writers have done in recent years.

I mean like wow, this episode felt like someones bad fanfiction made into an episode. Ah well, the writers make at least one terrible mistake in every saga, and so far in DP, this was the one. I now fear for the Galactic arc...

I'm still laughing at the idea that there are actually people out there who think that Hikari didn't give Eteboth's Monster Ball to Ou.

Like...for real? Are we really being that freakin' thick?

I'm still laughing at the idea that there are actually people out there who think that Hikari didn't give Eteboth's Monster Ball to Ou.

Ash didn't give Jenny Squirt's ball... (for Chari I can understand he didn't give Liza the ball since he ran away... but with Squirt he had a proper departure and could easily give Jenny its ball)
So no, it's not as obvious as you think

I agree with everyone else, Ash still has Squirtle and Charizard's Poke ball, and Ambipom got onto a bus not in a Poke ball. You said there was time jump...not really considering the bus honked while they were still discussing. Sure we didn't see them get on the bus but it's still open.

And on top of that while it may have been used just for Ambipom to choose what it wanted to do, I don't see why Ambipom would've given the Poke ball back to Dawn and then give the Poke ball to Ou. Remember it was basically a contest ball. Ou keeping the ball would remind Ambipom of it's contests and would really be insulting in the touching scene. Chances are Ambipom will never be in a Poke ball unless its by Dawn.

I really don't see Ampibom leaving as a mistake by the writers. Sure, it had all the development with contests and suddenly changed its mind but that's just it, it actually got some development! Buneary and Pachirisu are severely lacking in it and with Ampibom out of the way the two of them will get more chances to shine.

And on top of that while it may have been used just for Ambipom to choose what it wanted to do, I don't see why Ambipom would've given the Poke ball back to Dawn and then give the Poke ball to Ou.

What's wrong with that? Ambi did what Dawn asked it to do: It gave Dawn back the Pokéball and kept to PP ball to let her know it chose PPP over Contests
And then, Dawn could give Ambi's ball (whether the ball used as a symbol was Ambi's or not) or she could just keep it - we can't know and both cases can be logical

Remember it was basically a contest ball.

There's no such a thing as "Contest Ball"... that was a regular Pokéball inside a Ball Capsule... if Dawn gave Ou Ambi's ball she probably just took it out of the capsule...
Also, even if she were to give it with the BC (which I doubt since I guess she only have two of these and will need them both for the GF) it could possibly just be so Ambi can continue enjoy these effects that it probably still likes

But again, if Dawn gave Ou the ball she probably just took it out of the capsule - if that was even Ambi's ball)

I really don't see Ampibom leaving as a mistake by the writers. Sure, it had all the development with contests and suddenly changed its mind but that's just it, it actually got some development! Buneary and Pachirisu are severely lacking in it and with Ampibom out of the way the two of them will get more chances to shine.

I wouldn't really call a sudden infatuation with ping pong, "development," it's more like character assasination.

It took everything Ambipom's character was about and threw it out the window. Seriously, it feels like Aipom/Ambipom's entire character arc is now pointless.

And at least Charizard and Squirtle went somewhere that made sense. Charizard is constantly training to get stronger and Squirtle is back with its old team fighting fires, and Ash calls them back.

We have to wait and see if Ambipom can ever return.

I still think you guys are being ridiculous.

Hikari obviously gave the Monster Ball to Ou. They just didn't show it because the writers were counting on the viewer to have a brain and put two and two together.

And it's not like it matters one way or the other anyway.

I still think you guys are being ridiculous.

Hikari obviously gave the Monster Ball to Ou. They just didn't show it because the writers were counting on the viewer to have a brain and put two and two together.

Fact is, you could say exactly the same thing about Squirtle but see what happened - Ash actually kept its ball and we weren't supposed to assume things like you want us to do now

And it's not like it matters one way or the other anyway.

Sure it matters - I already explained:
If Ou has Ambi's ball - he can send it to Dawn wherever she is (just like Oak sending Ash his Poké and Ash send him them back)
If Dawn kept Ambi's ball - Ou won't be able to send it to Dawn (just like Liza/Jenny can't send Chari/Squirt) and Ambi would have to come to Dawn by itself (or with Ou) and as a result would be able to help Dawn only when she's in Kanto/Johto (just like Chari/Squirt)

What possible reason would Hikari have to keep the Monster Ball, though?

And the "Ou could send Hikari Eteboth in its Monster Ball anytime she wants" thing would only work if she knew how to get in contact with him for whenever she does want it back. But wait! The show never showed them exchanging any contact information! THEREFORE IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!

And Zenigame is one pokemon out of dozens that have appeared in our heroes' teams. So what...because of that one incident, we now have to be explicitly shown each and every Monster Ball transfer from now until the end of the series?

What possible reason would Hikari have to keep the Monster Ball, though?

What reason Ash had to keep Squirt's?

And Zenigame is one pokemon out of dozens that have appeared in our heroes' teams. So what...because of that one incident, we now have to be explicitly shown each and every Monster Ball transfer from now until the end of the series?

It and Chari are the two Poké who were "released" but returned to help Ash
For both, Ash kept their balls and they come by themselves
As a result, they can help Ash only when he's in Kanto/Johto

I don't see what's wrong with us assuming the same can happen with Ambi
We can't know that and we won't know that until (and if) Ambi return
We'd like it if Dawn gave the ball so she'll be able to use Ambi wherever she is rather than only in Kanto/Johto which is the case of Ash's Chari and Squirt (which is so because Ash keep their balls)

So in other words, yes. We have to have the fact that Monster Balls are exchanged along with the pokemon whenever any trade takes place shoved into our faces.

Great :rolleyes:

Piplup said:
What reason Ash had to keep Squirt's?

It was the early 2000s and the writers handled things differently back then?

Also, good job avoiding my question by asking me a question in return.

I don't see what's wrong with us assuming the same can happen with Ambi

And I don't see what's wrong with assuming that Hikari gave the Monster Ball to Ou.

And again, none of this even matters. Eteboth is gone either way. If the writers want the pokemon to come back bad enough, they'll find a way for it to come back regardless of who's in possession of the Monster Ball.

Let's just stop here and that's it...

Anyone find it funny how very soon after Ash got Chimchar, Aipom was traded and now very soon after Ambi left, Chimchar will evolve?
It's like when something happen to one of the monkeys, something happens with the other too XD
And while I don't like to follow stupid patterns and fan made rules... it is strange how both Primeape and Ambi were given away... and I seriously can see Infernape going back to Paul at the end of the saga after Paul changes (it's tottaly like Pokémon and Ash to say this is the right thing to do and such things, but I hope they won't do that)

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom