• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP128: Battle Pyramid! Shinji VS Jindai!!

One thing I have to ask...why does everyone care so much about a possible Jindai/Shinji relation? Like...how would Jindai being Shinji's father affect the show in any way? Because the way I see it, something like that would just be neat little trivia and nothing more.

Truth. It's the fangirl reasoning, I guess. People will get an idea and become so attached to it that there is either or both anger or denial over it. Boy, if that was out of the fandom, what a better place it'd be- this coming from a fangirl, too, just not as rampant...like, for one, I wouldn't kick up a fit if any ideas I had were wrong. Then again, I don't treat them seriously like a lot of fangirls. They're not NEAR facts to me as their ideas are to them. Mine are practically jokes.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot. Haven't seen the episode yet, but reading that Shinji had his ass whooped in any way makes me happy, and him being shocked that Ash had beaten the guy who had just did the mentioned ass-whooping.

Truth. It's the fangirl reasoning, I guess. People will get an idea and become so attached to it that there is either or both anger or denial over it. Boy, if that was out of the fandom, what a better place it'd be- this coming from a fangirl, too, just not as rampant...like, for one, I wouldn't kick up a fit if any ideas I had were wrong. Then again, I don't treat them seriously like a lot of fangirls. They're not NEAR facts to me as their ideas are to them. Mine are practically jokes.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot. Haven't seen the episode yet, but reading that Shinji had his ass whooped in any way makes me happy, and him being shocked that Ash had beaten the guy who had just did the mentioned ass-whooping.

Because the writers know this, and just want to tick us off by disclosing any possible relationship between the two of them despite having being animated VERY similarly.

Jeez, Shinji got his ass handed to him. Bet he's pissed.

Seeing his attitude in this episode, who here thinks that Shinji might fight dirty in his upcoming battle with Satoshi? Maybe he'll try something like having one of his Pokemon attack Satoshi directly...

Sure, it's a longshot. But I think it'd be awesome if it happened.

Jeez, Shinji got his ass handed to him. Bet he's pissed.

Seeing his attitude in this episode, who here thinks that Shinji might fight dirty in his upcoming battle with Satoshi? Maybe he'll try something like having one of his Pokemon attack Satoshi directly...

Sure, it's a longshot. But I think it'd be awesome if it happened.

I agree. I think he would have the BALLS to do that. *places a bet on it*

- Juuchan17

Wow, this episode sounds awesome. I can't wait to see it!!!

Random speculation, but I wonder if this upcoming "Ash vs Shinji 6 on 6 battle" means the two of them won't fight in the Shinou league. You would think that the writers would want to save them having a FULL battle until the league; having them fight like this now might be an indication that the league won't go like most of us were expecting.

One thing I have to ask...why does everyone care so much about a possible Jindai/Shinji relation? Like...how would Jindai being Shinji's father affect the show in any way? Because the way I see it, something like that would just be neat little trivia and nothing more.

It sure affected the story when Silver was revealed to be Giovanni's son in Special.

Also, what's wrong with "neat little trivia"? FRLG thrived on it (do we really care that Bill can't handle milk? Celio seems to think so)

I have watched the episode. It was really great.

As a constant reader and being sufficiently proficient in Japanese, here is the full battle narrated.

Paul sent out Magmar. Brandon sent out Regirock.
Paul recalled Magmar and sent out Hariyama.

Regirock uses Stone Edge, but Hariyama used its palms to stop it.
Hariyama uses Arm Thrust, hits a few times, then Regirock uses Body Slam (it embraces its foe).
Regirock uses Shock Wave and caused big damage.
Hariyama uses Force Palm, but Regirock dodged and used Focus Punch for KO.

Paul sent out Electabuzz.
Electabuzz uses Brick Break (which Ash comments as super-effective).
Regirock uses Stone Edge, Electabuzz uses Protect but Stone Edge went through.
Regirock uses Hyper Beam to KO.
Brandon recalls Regirock due to it being unable to attack the following turn.

Brandon sent out Registeel. Paul sent out Magmar.
Magmar uses Flamethrower, but Registeel still stands.
Registeel uses Iron Head and flinched Magmar (according to Brock).

Paul recalls Magmar and sent out Nidoking (ground type).
Registeel uses Flash Cannon and scores a direct hit.
Nidoking uses Earth Power and hits.
Nidoking uses Double Kick for another super-effective hit.
Nidoking uses Thunderbolt, but Registeel uses Iron Head, protecting itself from the electricity and hits to KO.

Paul gets really frustrated, especially after Brandon comments him about why he travels with his Pokemon and fight battles.

Paul sent out Lairon. Brandon recalls Registeel and sent out Regice.
Lairon uses Iron Defense, but...
Regice uses Ice Beam to freeze its foe, and uses Zap Cannon to KO (since it's special move, Iron Defense doesn't work).

Paul sent out Ursaring.
Ursaring uses Hammer Arm, and Regice uses Focus Punch. Both are hit back.
Ursaring uses Focus Energy, but Regice uses Zap Cannon to paralyze it.

Brandon recalls Regice and sent out Regirock.
Regirock uses Stone Edge to KO.

Paul sent out Magmar. (The background music changes, seemingly to indicate Paul's downfall)
Magmar uses Flamethrower, but it doesn't hurt.
Regirock uses Shock Wave to KO.
Paul lost 0-6.

We'll wait and see the battle between Paul and Ash.
------------------
Togekiss @ Leftovers (Calm)
Thunder Wave, Air Slash, Aura Sphere, Roost

Blackjack Palazzo said:
It sure affected the story when Silver was revealed to be Giovanni's son in Special.

So because it was important in that one particular version of the universe, a similar revelation in a completely different version (on a completely different medium, no less) will be equally as important?

You can argue that it won't necessarily be important but has the potential to be important and therefore shouldn't be dismissed. But you could also argue that for any plot point, really.

I imagine that if we ever *did* meet Shinji's father in the TV series, it would be similar to when we finally met Takeshi's mom. It'll be a big story for us for the episode or two that that occurs in, but then after that, it'll be a plot point that'll only be brought up once per region if that.

The "mystery" of who Shinji's father is only exists on our side of the TV screen. None of the characters in the TV series seems to care one way or the other.

Also, what's wrong with "neat little trivia"?

Nothing at all. But seeing a fair number of users expressing their disappointment that this tiny little bit of fandom didn't actually play out is a bit much.

Brandon also went easier on Ash than Paul, so its not fair to compare.

That's not entirely the reason. When he battled Ash, all the Regis were newly captured and adid not have a lot of experience. They would have become stronger when they faced off against Paul making it more difficult for him.

So because it was important in that one particular version of the universe, a similar revelation in a completely different version (on a completely different medium, no less) will be equally as important?

You seem to think that I was drawing a parallel to the level of importance, but my intent was the parallel between "Important Character X is Character Y's parent", not of any further impact.

You can argue that it won't necessarily be important but has the potential to be important and therefore shouldn't be dismissed. But you could also argue that for any plot point, really.

Not especially. Again I cite the "Bill can't have milk" line. If they ever actually brought it up, they'd be all silly and have him keep dashing off to the bathroom.

I imagine that if we ever *did* meet Shinji's father in the TV series, it would be similar to when we finally met Takeshi's mom. It'll be a big story for us for the episode or two that that occurs in, but then after that, it'll be a plot point that'll only be brought up once per region if that.

So? At least we got some questions answered.

The "mystery" of who Shinji's father is only exists on our side of the TV screen. None of the characters in the TV series seems to care one way or the other.

So? Besides, to them it's not a mystery.

Let's take Magical Pokemon Journey for instance. Hazel mentioned her parents. They exist. There was a caption in the single mention to the reader, "What, you thought she's an orphan just because her parents don't show up?"
But no one really cares, and why? Because Hazel has no issues. She lives in a town and has adventures, but there's nothing to be gained from discovering her past. Someone like Paul, though, makes people wonder what his upbringing must have been like.

Or like when we run into
Cyrus's grandfather
in Platinum. It doesn't impact the plot at all, but it gives us background information that serves to expand a character.

Nothing at all. But seeing a fair number of users expressing their disappointment that this tiny little bit of fandom didn't actually play out is a bit much.

How do you judge "a bit much"? It seems pretty random. Besides, say Silver shows up for more than a two-second cameo. People will wonder if he's going to run into Giovanni and if so will it be like Specialverse or like Golden Boysverse.

He's pissed off, but I don't think it's in him to play dirty like that! Also, surely more than anything, he'd want to prove he's the best without having to resort to cheap tricks?

I just hope that in Sinnoh writers won't introduce some new trainer before league and make him win. They two have to decide who will win Sinnoh League. Otherwise all this stuff with rival is just piece of shit

Come to think of it, Paul never fights dirty. Sure, he might be harsh to his Pokes but he always fights fair. He would probably give the match with Ash his all to prove Brandon wrong, not cheating.

Did Satoshi told Shinji about Satoshi winning the Brave Symbol?

Why did Shinji caught a Lairon? D: It didn't stand out well in its first on-screen battle. I bet Aggron is going to be over-used in the anime. *Sigh*

Why did Shinji caught a Lairon? D: It didn't stand out well in its first on-screen battle. I bet Aggron is going to be over-used in the anime. *Sigh*

Lairon have been used in battles before; I seem to remember a certain Lairon that was used by a coordinator who defeated May in a Hoenn contest.

But really, Paul using Lairon? It doesn't seem to fit him in any way- of course it could very well end up like Azumarill for all we know. Never to be seen again, covered up by a faulty plot device such as "giving it away."

Actually, my sister found a link to this battle on youtube.

part 1
Link removed

part 2
Link removed

saves the energy of loading the episode, I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: DP 128 "Pyramid Battle! Jindai vs. Shinji!" Preview Thread

Reiji pictures NAO! I agree with Sinneth. They could post Shinji Rage but no Reiji epicness? I also just noticed.
Jindai
Reiji
Shinji

Very similar names no?

I'm still waiting for their sister Asuka :p.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom