• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP131: Full Battle! Shinji VS Satoshi!! -Part 1-

This episode was great.
It seems that they have an official Pokemon League referee to set up the match, and they are using an actual scoreboard just like in the league competitions.
Gliscor was able to nearly beat down Torterra where last time its attacks did not phase it at all. Staraptor hardly did not do much damage against it, but pretty much f'd up Weavile.
Sucks that Grotle STILL was unable to defeat Honchkrow even after its training. Things would have worked differently if Grotle's long-range attacks were not deflected by Electabuzz's Light Screen.
They pretty much beefed up Magmortar (very fat), and is a lot bigger than Electivire.
The episode ends.

Sucks that Grotle really did not do much against Honchkrow.

Mukuhawk didn't do anything against Dodaitos. It didn't get a chance to attack.

Mukuhawk V. Manyula was intense, though!

Thank you!!

*Mukuhawk fan happy*

It seems that the Kurogo costumes aren't TR's only reused outfit today:

These ones were last seen in the onsen/Yumomi/Urimoo episode, now refurbished slightly by the glasses (and Kojiro's weirdo moustache xD)

you know i'm confused about something, wasn't Grotle vs Honchkrow supposed to be the first battle of the fight or was that summery inparticular fake?

- So Takeshi tells Reiji that everyone put Pikachu was caught in Shin'ou and that he's been using them the whole way through the region.

Now why would they bother to bring that up, i wonder..

Re: DP 131 "Full Battle! Shinji vs. Satoshi!! (Part One)" Preview Thread

Lucky didn't touch Takeshi. You guys' lag must be really terrible or something o_O

Wh... try watch it again, Chansey did hit Brock together with Croagunk and Joy even commented on that

- So Satoshi and his friends know about how Yuxie's supposed to be at the lake? Is that common knowledge or what?

Did you forget how much times they talked about that already? at first both May and Zoey told them there's a legendary in Acuity Lake too, them we're lead to assume Dawn had a talk with Rowan about that, and then we had Cynthia clearly tell them Ash saw Azelf, Dawn saw Mesprit and that the third one is Uxie
It'd be stupid if they wouldn't remember after hearing about it a few times already

- I love how Lucky looks pissed when Gureggru attacks its trainer.

I think you really misunderstood that scene - watch it again
Chnasey attacked Brock together with Croagunk

Nice Shirona reference, Takeshi and Hikari.

I like how she seems to be involved in the Ash/Paul rivalry - hopefully they'll continue to make her even more involved with that... I find it much more interesting than the Galactic plot can ever be

- So let's rent out a big-ass hot air baloon with a built-in monitor *just* for a random, non-official battle between two trainers. Like...WTF?

I must to admit though, it does help to make the battle seem more official and exciting... but maybe it's just me

Buoysel's called out to fight Dodaitoise but is recalled before it gets a chance to battle.

That was weird - I read that before I watched the ep but I thought you meant it was quickly returned - but so soon as to not even use ONE attack?! wow... I don't think Ash ever did that before

- So Takeshi tells Reiji that everyone put Pikachu was caught in Shin'ou and that he's been using them the whole way through the region.

What Reggie said to that? I didn't really understand... did he say Paul does use his experienced ones unlike Ash? or is Paul doing the same thing as Ash and except Torterra everyone are new?

- Takeshi mentions the link between Naetle and Donkarasu.

And Grotle lost to Honchkrow once again... it seems like they develope some rivalry between these too but it's strange since it seems more fitting to do Honchkrow/Staraptor and Grotle/Torterra

Anyway least this fight should finally teach Ash it's not all about being friends with your pokemon...some of it is about type matching!

Eh... Ash know that very well
I hate it when fans randomly say stupid things like that and think they're "better" than the characters
Ash clearly said he returned Buizel since it's a water type and Torterra is a grass type...
And then he sent out Gliscor who knows a fire type attack and Staraptor which is a flying type
Not to mention most of the Gyms this region he chose his team by their types

did pretty good nearly knocked out Torterra,

I was a little surprised by that
Well, it just prove how some people exaggerated with how strong they thoguth Torterra is... it's strong but it's not unbeatable

I also have to say it was awesome they were treating this fairly official. I mean what looked like a league official and a Screen with their Pokemon. Very impressive.

Right, I really liked it and helps to feel the excitement for this battle
Another thing I noticed is they're sticking with the games closer with this battle:
- Ash sent out Buizel and immediately returned it when Paul sent Torterra... this is totally something game players would do when for example the first Poké in their party is a water type and they battle a grass type... and I don't think Ash ever did that before
- Electabuzz was used just to use Light Screen so it'd continue to protect Honchkrow later
- The spoiler to next ep seems to show Pika burned peobably as a result of one of Magmortar's attacks

What makes this even more awesome is that Guardie and Kojiro first aired exactly 11 years ago today

So I guess they intentually did it... not randomly chose a random past disguise but simply because they knew this airs on the 11 anniversary of that ep

Now why would they bother to bring that up, i wonder..

Someone should check what Reggie said about it - I think Reggie reveals if Paul does the same thing as Ash or if he's using all his experienced ones
It does seem a little unfair if Paul use his experienced ones...

Well, that was a great episode! the Croagunk/Chansey thing was nice and it was interesting to see Chimchar so excited for the battle
A lot of past events mentioned: Cynthia, her line (when all life meet...), what she told Chim in the Galactic ep, the fact Reggie battled Staravia, that Staravia evolved in Pokéringer and beat Paul's Honchkrow, that Paul's Honchkrow battled Turtwig who then evolved and lost to it, Uxie being in Lake Acuity, the fact Pika is Ash's only experienced Poké, and I think there was even more...
The battle is great so far! I was especially surprised with all the quick recalls but it just helps to make the battle even more exciting!
Can't wait for next week!!

Last edited:

Piplup said:
Did you forget how much times they talked about that already? at first both May and Zoey told them there's a legendary in Acuity Lake too, them we're lead to assume Dawn had a talk with Rowan about that, and then we had Cynthia clearly tell them Ash saw Azelf, Dawn saw Mesprit and that the third one is Uxie
It'd be stupid if they wouldn't remember after hearing about it a few times already

I don't remember every single detail of every single episode. SORRY.

I don't remember every single detail of every single episode. SORRY.

It's pretty important thing that was repeated a few times in important episodes... I wouldn't call that little details
Anyway, I just corrected you on how it's not strange at all that they talked about it - it'd be strange if they wouldn't

About that whole "Satoshi's pokes are all Shinnou ones" dialogue between Takeshi and Reiji, I wasn't paying attention and I can't be bothered to check, but was it something like Reiji asking if Satoshi had a different team prepared for the match? And then Takeshi explains that it's his Shinnou team. Reiji said something then - I'd presume that it was that he'd gone all out to use his powerhouses?

Man, if Ash really did break out his oldies, like Charizard, Sceptile, Snorlax, etc....he'd come close to destroying Paul.

Well, maybe that's not true since Paul is still a powerful trainer, but sometimes I wish Ash would break out his old Pokes to put him in his place.

I'm actually glad he isn't. It's much more rewarding to see Satoshi beat the crap (well, hopefully he will at the league :p) out of Shinji with the Pokemon that Shinji's spent the last 3 years dissing.

Really intense episode.
One of my favorite episodes of the season, actually. The Reiji/Takeshi/Hikari backstory references were just awesome, and so was the addition of the really dramatic bgm of the 8th and 9th movies.
All the letter perfect; great set up.

When Mukkuhawk got BLASTED and fell out of the sky by Dodaitose, I just knew that this wouldn't be some DEM battle.
What I loved was that it was noticed that Satoshi isn't battling as he usually does. I also LOVED how well Glion did.

And Shinji must despise Mukkuhawk now; that's two Pokemon of his that Mukkuhawk has taken down. Shinji wants Mukku BAD. He was really cruel - Blizzards and stone edges to the face.

And Booburn versus Pikachu? ...Yeah. Ouch.
Can't WAIT for next week.
The battle has fantastic pacing, too.

Again please enjoy the full battle narration.
By the way, Chansey DID jab Brock:

Ash: Nurse Joy please help me take care of the pokemon.
Joy: OK, I'll keep them.
Brock: Please also keep me Joy...
<Croagunk wanted to jab Brock, but Chansey did it FIRST. Then Croagunk pulls Brock away.>
Joy: Sorry, my Chansey doesn't want others to get close to me.

Upon coin toss, Ash goes first, so he starts with Buizel. Paul starts with Torterra.
Ash immediately recalls Buizel. He sends out Gliscor.
<This is the FIRST time ever I've seen Ash do this: recalling a pokemon before it starts battling.>
<James: this is a rare thing for Ash; Meowth: Buizel didn't even have a chance to think; Wobbuffet: "So-nansu!" >
<Ash: I would like to start with Buizel, but there is a type disadvantage, so it'll have to wait till later.>

Gliscor uses Sand-Attack.
<Brock: Ash has gained experience in fighting Torterra, so he reduces its accuracy.>
Torterra uses Giga Drain, Gliscor flies up to dodge.
Gliscor X-scissor hits Torterra.
Torterra uses Frenzy Plant. Gliscor dodges. <Reggie: Torterra can't move after Frenzy Plant.>
Gliscor Fire Fang hits Torterra. Gliscor X-scissor hits again.
Gliscor Steel Wing hits again, but Torterra uses Crunch to bite his tail.
Torterra uses Giga Drain. <Brock: After Frenzy Plant misses, Ash wants to use the interval to beat Torterra; Paul reads his strategy completely.>
Gliscor frees himself with Fire Fang, but his tail hurts. Ash recalls Gliscor. Torterra pants heavily.

Ash sends out Staraptor.
Staraptor uses Brave Bird. Torterra uses Stone Edge to stop it and knock it miles away. Paul recalls Torterra.
<Reggie: Paul reads that Ash is going to use Staraptor for a quick win, so he uses Stone Edge to stop it. (He then asks Dawn about Ash's chosen pokemon in this fight, learning that he didn't use any Oak'd pokemon, and comments that Paul already knows Ash's team, so he can counter.>
<I think Paul would have a big surprise when Ash sends out Charizard or the like in the league.>

Paul sends out Weavile.
Staraptor's Quick Attack hits.
Weavile uses Swords Dance. <Brock: It raises attack.>
Staraptor uses Aerial Ace, but Weavile's Blizzard knocks it back.
Weavile uses Metal Claw and hits. <Brock: it's even faster than Staraptor.>
Staraptor's Close Combat and Weavile's Metal Claw hit each other.
<Reggie: Close Combat is super effective.>
Weavile uses Blizzard. Staraptor counters with Brave Bird and knocked it out.
<Ash: I'd better not be too happy.>
<Jessie: Just watching this makes me tired!>
Ash recalls Staraptor.

Paul sends out Electabuzz, and Ash Grotle.
Grotle's Energy Ball is blocked by Light Screen.
<Brock: It halves Special Attack damage.>
Paul recalls Electabuzz and sends out Honchkrow.
<Brock: This matchup is a rematch of the previous, so Grotle has a big sense of revenge.>
Grotle wants to battle so Ash lets it fight. <Dawn: but there's a type disadvantage.> <Paul smiles in an evil way.>

Grotle uses Razor Leaf. Honchkrow dodges and hits with Night Slash.
Grotle's Energy Ball is blocked by Light Screen.
<Brock: With type advantage and Light Screen to block attacks, and has higher speed, Paul wants to technically KO Ash (not Ash's pokemon but ASH himself.)>
Honchkrow uses Haze. <Brock: Paul's pokemon has many moves.>
Grotle's Razor Leaf is avoided and Night Slash hits again.
<Reggie: Paul wants to have a big win against Ash (!).>
Grotle uses Synthesis.
Honchkrow uses Sky Attack. Grotle uses Rock Climb. Sky Attack hits and knocks out Grotle. Paul recalls Honchkrow.
<Reggie: Ash's Synthesis timing is bad.>
<Brock: Ash starts to get too anxious. Since Grotle wants to revenge, Ash lets it do it, but he over-estimated his power.>
<I think the two will have a third battle in the league, and Grotle will finally win.>

Pikachu wants to go, so Ash lets him do that.
Paul sends out Magmortar which shocks Pikachu.
The battle continues next episode.

Preview DP 132:
Pikachu's Quick Attack hits Magmortar, but activates Flame Body and is burned.
Ursaring hits Staraptor and Buizel.
Chimchar evolves into Monferno.
Monferno uses Mach Punch to knock back Electabuzz.
Electabuzz uses Thunderpunch against Monferno's Mach Punch.

Wait till next week then^^.

Hey, does anybody know what Reiji was saying to Paul at the begining? Something about signing him up to battle Ash?

Oh, and this is a really cool ep, btw. Its been a while since we had a good battle like this. I also like the setting.

Eh... Ash know that very well
I hate it when fans randomly say stupid things like that and think they're "better" than the characters
Ash clearly said he returned Buizel since it's a water type and Torterra is a grass type...
And then he sent out Gliscor who knows a fire type attack and Staraptor which is a flying type
Not to mention most of the Gyms this region he chose his team by their types

Well for one thing I am "better" than the characters! I think most people would be! It's just that Grotle vs Honchkrow thing got to me, i get the whole Grotle feeling like it had something to prove but pride comes before a fall and all that. I know Ash was destined to lose this match but it shouldn't end as badly as it will do.

Piplup said:
It's pretty important thing that was repeated a few times in important episodes... I wouldn't call that little details
Anyway, I just corrected you on how it's not strange at all that they talked about it - it'd be strange if they wouldn't

It was a minor plot point brought up in episodes that aired weeks and weeks ago. I don't have the time to rewatch episodes, so I haven't seen a lot of the episodes you mentioned since they first aired in Japan months ago.

If the show had made a bigger deal about it, maybe it would have stuck out to me more.

If the show had made a bigger deal about it, maybe it would have stuck out to me more.

Well you have to blame the writers on that, as well as the spacing. I mean because Team Galactic knows about the Pixies but since Uxie is in Lake Acuity it really wouldn't have made sense to keep bringing it up considering the Pixies are only a minor part of the space time legend.

Of course it wouldn't have made much sense, considering after the Celestic Town Galactic episodes, the only time Lake Acuity (as far as I know), was mentioned was in the Brandon vs Paul episode (near the end). And since it ended in a cliffhanger, them casually bringing up then wouldn't have made sense. The Looker episode probably wouldn't have made much sense either, since Ash was too pumped about the battle with Paul (and the whole looker "falling" down thing. And so that left the Paul vs Ash episode, as the only real time it would've made sense since they had free time (within the episode) to bring it up.

I guess you can also argue it's because why would they bother mentioning Uxie, if the lake isn't mentioned.

I thought it was amusing that Magmortar and Pikachu were standing closely together and then in the next shot are shown to be 10 metres apart.

Looking at high definition screencaps, this episode was just poorly drawn. It's not just Shinji. Ash's eyes are falling off his face and Reiji has mysterious marks on his. Not to mention Shimura drew eyeliner on Shinji's eyes several times XD and it made him look gay.

Some screenshots are actually fun to laugh at
http://unown.webhop.org/gallery/dp131/imagedata/dp131-192.jpg
I had a double-take with this one.
http://unown.webhop.org/gallery/dp131/imagedata/dp131-110.jpg
omg at Brock's face
http://unown.webhop.org/gallery/dp131/imagedata/dp131-025.jpg
everything seems a bit off in this pic

There was even a shot where Hikari's skirt wasn't fully colored in.
Not complaining. Just amused.

At least the animation was good :/ TBH, I'd just be thankful that these eps have managed to avoid the awful hands of Takeda.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom