• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP132: Full Battle! Shinji VS Satoshi!! -Part 2-

He probably doesn't think Satoshi is worth his time anymore. I don't see it as a good change if that's what you mean.

You know, I asked a question relating to Ash's loss against Paul about how that would make Brandon look (especially seeing how Pikachu, whom if I must remind you guys, defeated his Regice without any help whatsoever, had lost to a Pokemon that's not even close to the same experience as Pikachu (Remember, Ursaring was caught near the beginning of Ash's Journey in Sinnoh, and Pikachu already had four leagues under his belt, three if one doesn't count the Orange Islands, as well as the winner of the Battle Frontier). I mean, even WITH burn and the guts ability, that's still a tad bit unrealistic.). Yet nobody answered it yet, so can someone PLEASE answer it?

The question's here: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showpost.php?p=900626&postcount=218

Last edited:
They've destroyed him in the hoenn saga. He got even worse here.

damn straight

Lets not get carried away here. Charizard isn't perfect. Hell he's about average at best.

What he did to the remnant of Gary's team says otherwise. Charizard could probably wipe out Pauls whole team. It's believable, as he is training and not rotting away when he is not with Ash.

Let's face the facts, Gary was a MUCH better rival and trainer than Paul is and probably ever will be. Gary was like a Hybrid version of Ash and Paul. He was knowledgeable of Pokemon and strategies and he also had a bond with his Pokemon.

You can see that Paul is still a slightly inexperienced trainer and I think the writers did not really do a good job of portraying him in this battle with Ash. He is not a heavily strategic trainer. He is one of those kids you fight online who uses strong Pokemon with decent moves, but really no strat implemented, because he thinks that the fact that they are fully evolves will make up for it.

I find it confusing that people portray Paul as this really cool rival and trainer, and a better trainer than Ash. Honestly did you see how he acted in the battle with Brandon? He acted like a baby. He knew he had no chance and he just kept throwing out his Pokemon like they were toys. Ash did not once lose his cool this badly in his battle with Paul and his situation was hopeless.

Cynthia's the champ though, way out of both of their leagues.
That's not the point. Look at how ridiculous Paul got crushed by Cynthia. Pretty awful right? And yet look how bad Paul crushed Ash, pretty bad right? The point is that both of those respective losses put Ash on a very low tier. Even if I am to expect Paul to get mauled by her, to have him turn around and shut Ash down makes Ash look pretty miniscule in the grand scheme. And if we're supposed to believe that Ash is gearing up to challenge the League and Cynthia (like they've hinted at), then he's gonna have to do better against the guy that lost to her.

What he did to the remnant of Gary's team says otherwise. Charizard could probably wipe out Pauls whole team.

Touche...

You can see that Paul is still a slightly inexperienced trainer and I think the writers did not really do a good job of portraying him in this battle with Ash. He is not a heavily strategic trainer. He is one of those kids you fight online who uses strong Pokemon with decent moves, but really no strat implemented, because he thinks that the fact that they are fully evolves will make up for it.

Parodies of real life jerks exist in the show? COOL

I find it confusing that people portray Paul as this really cool rival and trainer, and a better trainer than Ash. Honestly did you see how he acted in the battle with Brandon? He acted like a baby. He knew he had no chance and he just kept throwing out his Pokemon like they were toys. Ash did not once lose his cool this badly in his battle with Paul and his situation was hopeless.

/\This

You know, I asked a question relating to Ash's loss against Paul about how that would make Brandon look (especially seeing how Pikachu, whom if I must remind you guys, defeated his Regice without any help whatsoever, had lost to a Pokemon that's not even close to the same experience as Pikachu (Remember, Ursaring was caught near the beginning of Ash's Journey in Sinnoh, and Pikachu already had four leagues under his belt, three if one doesn't count the Orange Islands, as well as the winner of the Battle Frontier). I mean, even WITH burn and the guts ability, that's still a tad bit unrealistic.). Yet nobody answered it yet, so can someone PLEASE answer it?

The question's here: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showpost.php?p=900626&postcount=218

Bad writing.

How in the world can you say Shinji isn't a strategic trainer? They stated it a million times during the episode.

Also, I meant to point out one thing... The fact that Paul got utterly DESTROYED by Cynthia and Brandon, is the biggest thing that makes this loss a horrible one.
Exactly!
If we're now supposed to believe that Ash will defeat Paul in the Sinnoh League, I'm wondering how in the world the writers will get around the problem of making that victory credible despite this humiliating defeat.
And we've also got to consider that there won't probably be a particularly big gap between this battle and their decisive showdown in the league, so from my point of view, the only possible way for the writers to get out of this dilemma in such a short time is by wriggling out of giving a sensible explanation and letting Ash win as if by magic.

This prospect somehow makes we sad, but I'm afraid I can't think of any better exlanation right now. Let's hope I'm wrong....

You call his battles with Brandon and Cynth strategies?

Brandon used all legendaries against him and Cynthia is the champion of the region.

Paul has shown great battle skills against everyone else he beat, such as the Sinnoh Gym leaders and the random trainer battles he's had. Paul's definitely one of the top-tier trainers in the show that isn't already someone of high status.

Shinji completely destroyed Satoshi with strategy. Unlike Satoshi, he was completely prepared for this battle. So yeah, he used strategy against someone he already KNEW and BATTLED before.

That wasn't the case with Jindai and Shirona. Plus them being some of the most powerful trainers nation-wide is an obvious reason as to why he lost to them.

Brandon used all legendaries against him

Because pikachu nor charizard were capable of beating legendaries.

Besides that, he's seen Brandon in battle, so he should've prepared for his butt too. What happened there?

Because pikachu nor charizard were capable of beating legendaries.

Besides that, he's seen Brandon in battle, so he should've prepared for his butt too. What happened there?

He want to prove that his training method is good enough to beat Brandon but was beaten. He was kinda desperate.

Shinji completely destroyed Satoshi with strategy.

And brute force, I mean Ursuring and Torterra ripped through his pokemon like tissue paper, not to mention Electabuzz beat Monferno despite getting pummeled repeatedly which was a massive downer.

Unlike Satoshi, he was completely prepared for this battle.

Ash knew what he was getting into, however Electabuzz using light screen and Magmortar appearing is what threw him off.

So yeah, he used strategy against someone he already KNEW and BATTLED before.

Yet another reason why Ash should use his reserves Paul knows Ash's sinnoh team like the back of his hand now, and knows how to counter them with ease.

ash_forever said:
If we're now supposed to believe that Ash will defeat Paul in the Sinnoh League, I'm wondering how in the world the writers will get around the problem of making that victory credible despite this humiliating defeat.

I've said this many times before, but I really think they just wrote themselves into a corner with this battle, because either now the sinnoh team is going to have to get serious development in a short ammount of time which isn't likely, or Ash is going to have to use his reserve pokemon when he gets to Paul at the league because it's obvious from this battle the sinnoh guys can not cut it as they are now, and i'm sure no one wants to see Paul's pokemon get downplayed just so the sinnoh pokemon get get thier so called "glorfication", and before any of you jump on me think about this possibility for a moment.

Yes the sinnoh league is a big deal, however Paul's way too "hardened" so to speak that i really doubt one loss to Ash is going to change his ways, he would probably regard the loss as a fluke and say Ash won't beat him again, now what i think should happen is Ash should use his reserves(maybe Infernape as well if it evolves by then too) to beat him there, but then assuming we get a filler arc, have Paul stay around for that and start losing to Ash more often making him crack gradually instead of all at once, and this way the sinnoh pokemon could get in enough training during the filler arc to be able to match his pokemon on a more even basis, again assuming he doesn't ditch the sinnoh guys for his jouto pokemon(god forbid we all know they need redeeming but i don't want the sinnoh pokemon to go away)but that's my take on things, this way Ash beats Paul in the sinnoh league in a legit way that isn't deus ex, and his sinnoh pokemon can still redeem themselves against him later on and everyone wins.

And we've also got to consider that there won't probably be a particularly big gap between this battle and their decisive showdown in the league.

True because there's not many sinnoh pokemon left to debut, and Ash and Dawn only need one "trinket" each to get into thier respective main competition, not to mention TG's about to wrap up too so sinnoh's on the way out.

Paul's not that great of a trainer as people make him out to be. The only reason why he completely destroyed Ash was just because he knows exactly what Ash is going to do. The reason why he beat all the gym leaders and other trainers was mostly due to brute strength and type advantages. Nothing much more than that.

Ash just has to develop more strategies like Counter Shield, and maybe get new attacks. Using Feint or Brick Break would really throw Paul's "strategy" off.

Last edited:
Nothing much more than that. Ash just has to develop more strategies like Counter Shield, and maybe get new attacks. Using Feint or Brick Break would really throw Paul's "strategy" off.

I'd have to agree, most of the time, Paul relied solely on Electabuzz's protect, and light screen. If Ash were to knock out Electabuzz/Electivire really early (in the league match), Paul's just going to have to deal with Ash's Pokemon straight on, unless they're cheap (the writers) and add another protect/light screen/reflect user on Paul's team.

Most of the reason why Monferno didn't beat Electabuzz is because most of its attacks didn't even hit Electabuzz. And you'd have to wonder, if Torterra wasn't protected by light screen how much damage it would've received from Chimchar's flamethrower. Maybe it wouldn't have knocked it out, but it could've gotten close.

Even if Paul wouldn't have Electabuzz in his team he would also destroy Ash by now. His team is far more powerful than Ash's.

Ash's Grotle now is the weakest pokemon in his team. And Grotle can't beat by now any of Paul's pokemon.

Buizel is good pokemon and has enough fighting spirit. For me it is his main powerhouse except Monferno. But it doesn't have enough power for now. It has to evolve.

Pikachu is Pikachu. It can't do more than it can.

Staraptor is good. And for now it is the pokemon which Ash can rely on in terms of power.

Gliscor progressing very fast since it evolved. So in the league it will be much stronger than now.

Paul has shown great battle skills against everyone else he beat, such as the Sinnoh Gym leaders and the random trainer battles he's had.

Beating gym leaders is an achievement now?

What ash needs to do is start "RESEARCHING" pokemon abilities and the like. He can't fathom to do anything right because he doesn't know what the hell he's fighting most of the time. Hell he couldn't even tell his Grotle was slower than usual. He has a pokedex for a reason, but he's written too stupid these days to think about that.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom