• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP132: Full Battle! Shinji VS Satoshi!! -Part 2-

Thats a requirement though. You know how easy it is to take out gym leaders these days?

Oh wait, inb4games=/anime

All of you people are talking about it like it is the game though! It's like you're suggesting he should EV train or IV train or whatever the heck you do to your pokemon to make them undefeatable.

Yes, Satoshi got his backside handed to him and it's making his ultimate and inevitable defeating of Shinji look a little shaky, but this is the ANIME!! Ya know the one where the power of friendship always wins in the end? And frankly, it's a rather more realistic approach to the scenario than most of you are taking.

All of you people are talking about it like it is the game though! It's like you're suggesting he should EV train or IV train or whatever the heck you do to your pokemon to make them undefeatable.

I didn't say anything about EV training...jeez...

Ya know the one where the power of friendship always wins in the end? And frankly, it's a rather more realistic approach to the scenario than most of you are taking.

The power of friendship is realistic now?

Man, I have stopped watching japanese cartoons for a while now. Where was that "power of friendship" when paul was handing him his ass the last 5 matches btw?

I didn't say anything about EV training...jeez...
Did you have to? ;-)
The power of friendship is realistic now?
YES! The power of friendship is more (<--- keyword) realistic than some idiotic fantasy of RL/anime=pokemon games. IRL treating everyone better results in greater long term sucess. Or if not, at least you can have some self worth and satisfaction? But no, of course, killing the opponent is far more important, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Did you have to? ;-)

Well....yeah. I didn't even go into extremes of suggesting any type of "game related" training, and you just threw that out there like I did.

YES! The power of friendship is more (<--- keyword) realistic than some idiotic fantasy of RL/anime=pokemon games.

Words fail me.

IRL treating everyone better results in greater long term sucess.

Yeah, I like spoiling kids too.

But no, of course, killing the opponent is far more important, isn't it?

in the case of a guy who doesn't give a damn about who he beats, YES it is more important than the power of friendship, cause guess what? ITS NOT WORKING NOW!

The whole message is that friendship is more important. We all know that's where this is heading.

Psyburn - you have missed the point of the entire anime. It's not about (despite superficial factors telling you otherwise) Satoshi having to beat every bloody trainer he ever meets, it is about friendship! Just like every other kids show on the planet, Pokemon is trying to give out a positive message.

Psyburn - you have missed the point of the entire anime. It's not about (despite superficial factors telling you otherwise) Satoshi having to beat every bloody trainer he ever meets, it is about friendship!

No, you missed my point. if the power of friendship was the point of the show, it should've been working when Ash kept fighting paul. however however...we see some actual realism in the show. Besides, the show hasn't been incredibly adamant about that message, else we'd have something like Yugioh preaching it almost every episode.

But you know in the end the power of friendship will win. It wouldn't make for a good plot if Satoshi won right away.

But you know in the end the power of friendship will win. It wouldn't make for a good plot if Satoshi won right away.

It doesn't make for a good plot that he's fighting like a complete rookie despite having made top positions in pokemon league competitions in the past and showed waaaay more impressive feats of competence and the like. But ofcourse that didn't stop them from shoe horning paul's "oh so awesome" strength. >_>

The whole point of the episode was to hype up the league battle even more. That's it. I don't get what the problem is. Satoshi is showing progress, he just has more work to do.

Sinnoh is not almost over with there is still plenty of time left for Ash to train his Sinnoh team, and the Sinnoh league is not for a very long time anyways the Sinnoh region is not going to go very fast as people think.

The whole point of the episode was to hype up the league battle even more. That's it. I don't get what the problem is. Satoshi is showing progress, he just has more work to do.

I can agree with the more work in regards to the rest of his team, but I never understood why "OMG-TOOK-DOWN-A-REGICE!111!1!" Pikachu also ended up being beaten to a pulp, especially to a pokemon that's significantly less in terms of experience than itself. I mean, not only would that make Ash and Pikachu look weak, but it would also make Brandon look pathetic as well (since that same Pikachu defeated his Regice as if it were tissue paper.)

EDIT: For those of you who claim that Ash must be skilled because he beat Gym leaders, I wouldn't really say that's a good accomplisment (actually, it's barely even an accomplishment.). I mean, in the games, and even in the Anime, they are usually beaten easily by rookie pokemon, similar to how TR is beaten by rookie pokemon (be it belonging to rookie trainers or experienced trainers, it doesn't matter, as they are still rookie pokemon, anyways.). Beating the battle Frontier, or even their ranks in Pokemon Leagues, that's a good accomplishment.

The whole point of the episode was to hype up the league battle even more.

We dont even KNOW if he will fight him in the league. Besides, if he does and loses, what was the point?

Satoshi is showing progress, he just has more work to do.

Why is he "still showing progress" after all these years? He should have a good dosage of experience under his belt, yet he doesn't show it. THATS the problem. He shouldn't "have more work to do" at this point.

For those of you who claim that Ash must be skilled because he beat Gym leaders

Someone claimed "PAUL" was, not Ash.

We dont even KNOW if he will fight him in the league.

Why would the writers pass up that opportunity? Who else would he fight in the league? Jun and some unknown trainers? That's not very exciting.

Besides, if he does and loses, what was the point?

I don't think this plot would have been built up since the beginning of DP only for it to remain entirely unresolved.

Why is he "still showing progress" after all these years?

Because the show is going to go on for a long long time. It'd be boring to watch if he was completely competent and sweeping every battle.

Why would the writers pass up that opportunity? Who else would he fight in the league? Jun and some unknown trainers? That's not very exciting.

Ash will more than likely get beaten by some COTD, its not gonna be interesting regardless

Because the show is going to go on for a long long time. It'd be boring to watch if he was completely competent and sweeping every battle.

What? That makes no sense. Having competence at this point WOULD MAKE SENSE! Its called character development, and they have clearly failed at that if they devolved his skill level for the sake of showing off another character's power. Come on, you expect me to believe a kid who's OP'd rodent took out a Regice to lose easily to an ursaring. This guy gets crafty when cornered a LOT of times, yet he can't seem to pull off a single comeback worth saving his ass now. He doesn't have to be completely competent, but dont bullshit me and ignore traits that were present before "just for ONE character on the damn show".

Just because you have experience doesn't mean you're unbeatable. Likewise there would be no show if Ash just won every battle...

Not to mention Paul is just as experienced as Ash is. You're complaining that an experienced trainer beat another experienced trainer?

Ash got his team swept because Paul is an extremely tough opponent. I don't see what the problem is here.

Just because you have experience doesn't mean you're unbeatable.

I didn't say that.

Not to mention Paul is just as experienced as Ash is. You're complaining that an experienced trainer beat another experienced trainer?

No, im complaining that an experienced trainer acts like a non-experienced trainer conveniently for this one guy.

No, im complaining that an experienced trainer acts like a non-experienced trainer conveniently for this one guy.

Watch the episode where Staravia evolves into Staraptor, Ash beats Paul in that competition.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom