• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP132: Full Battle! Shinji VS Satoshi!! -Part 2-

Just because you have experience doesn't mean you're unbeatable. Likewise there would be no show if Ash just won every battle...

Not to mention Paul is just as experienced as Ash is. You're complaining that an experienced trainer beat another experienced trainer?

Not necessarily that an experienced trainer beat another experienced trainer, just that an inexperienced pokemon beat an experienced pokemon. I mean, Ursaring, compared to Pikachu, IS inexperienced (Ursaring was caught at Bewildered Forest by Paul near the beginning of DP, and has yet to face even ONE Pokemon League. Pikachu, on the other hand, had not only fought in four leagues (COUNTING Orange League), but also a Battle Frontier, and defeated said leader of the Battle Frontier's Regice witout any help, and with barely any effort at all.)

Ash got his team swept because Paul is an extremely tough opponent. I don't see what the problem is here.

Paul himself is tough, But Ursaring should be tissue paper compared to Pikachu (as Ursaring is not even close to experienced, especially compared to Pikachu. Now if it lost against Torterra, Weavile, Honchkrow, or Magmortar, no one, or at least I won't be complaining, since it at least lost to a pokemon that's closer to it's experience level (Torterra was Paul's starter Pokemon, and it's implied that he never placed it in reserves, and Weavile, Honchkrow, and Magmortar were implied to have been caught during his adventures in either the Hoenn League, Johto League, or Kanto League.). But having Pikachu lose easily against a pokemon who was literally a novice compared to it is just ridiculous.

But having Pikachu lose easily against a pokemon who was literally a novice compared to it is just ridiculous.

If Pikachu was at full health, I would fully agree with you. But keep in mind that Pikachu was afflicted by a burn, so in that sense it does make sense for Pikachu to be knocked out.

But I agree with you in that Pikachu should've knocked it out, because it's HP seemed way too high especially given that it took 3 of Chimchar's attacks before falling.

But oh well.

Paul himself is tough, But Ursaring should be tissue paper compared to Pikachu (as Ursaring is not even close to experienced, especially compared to Pikachu. Now if it lost against Torterra, Weavile, Honchkrow, or Magmortar, no one, or at least I won't be complaining, since it at least lost to a pokemon that's closer to it's experience level (Torterra was Paul's starter Pokemon, and it's implied that he never placed it in reserves, and Weavile, Honchkrow, and Magmortar were implied to have been caught during his adventures in either the Hoenn League, Johto League, or Kanto League.). But having Pikachu lose easily against a pokemon who was literally a novice compared to it is just ridiculous.

just face it, ash/satoshi lost:7up:, no let me rephrase that, he got sweped and ursaring is a physical sweeper, it just did what it does.

just face it, ash/satoshi lost:7up:, no let me rephrase that, he got sweped and ursaring is a physical sweeper, it just did what it does.

Hey, I can definitely face Ash losing. Heck, I've faced it a LOT during my time. But that doesn't mean I should think that Ursaring's win against Pikachu was even done well. I mean, Pikachu, of all of Ash's Pokemon, should NOT lose to Ursaring in the manner that it did, seeing how UNLIKE Ursaring, who had not even faced a single league yet, let alone a Battle Frontier, Pikachu not only was a veteran of the Kanto, Orange, Johto, and Hoenn Leagues, but also a veteran of the Battle Frontier (and even defeated the leader's Regice (The very same leader that utterly destroyed Paul previously), without any help, with barely any effort, even.). In fact, to be fair, if it were to lose to ANY of Paul's Pokemon, it should have been to Torterra, Magmortar, Honchkrow, or Weavile, since at least then, it's fair enough, and would make better sense (They are, after all, close to Pikachu's level, ESPECIALLY Torterra.).

Besides which, the entire result of Pikachu's battle against Ursaring not only makes Pikachu pathetic, but also Brandon, as well (seeing how that same Pikachu beat his Regice way too easily.).

Hey, I can definitely face Ash losing. Heck, I've faced it a LOT during my time. But that doesn't mean I should think that Ursaring's win against Pikachu was even done well. I mean, Pikachu, of all of Ash's Pokemon, should NOT lose to Ursaring in the manner that it did, seeing how UNLIKE Ursaring, who had not even faced a single league yet, let alone a Battle Frontier, Pikachu not only was a veteran of the Kanto, Orange, Johto, and Hoenn Leagues, but also a veteran of the Battle Frontier (and even defeated the leader's Regice (The very same leader that utterly destroyed Paul previously), without any help, with barely any effort, even.). In fact, to be fair, if it were to lose to ANY of Paul's Pokemon, it should have been to Torterra, Magmortar, Honchkrow, or Weavile, since at least then, it's fair enough, and would make better sense (They are, after all, close to Pikachu's level, ESPECIALLY Torterra.).

Besides which, the entire result of Pikachu's battle against Ursaring not only makes Pikachu pathetic, but also Brandon, as well (seeing how that same Pikachu beat his Regice way too easily.).

Why did you bother taking his post seriously?

Pikachu's loss to Ursaring not surprises me. Writers always did some unexpected moves during pokemon series.

Remeber battle 4 on 4 against Brandon. Storyline was just ridiculous for me. I mean Charizard's losing in first round. And Pikachu's unexpected win.

So I can't even imagine what we can see in Sinnoh league. Maybe even Toreterra's losing to even Grotle

paul battled ALL 3 of the regi's in the same battle while ash only battle all three of them seperatly

Why does this make a difference? If you're good, you can take out at least ONE of them, or all 3.

It does make a huge difference because Brandon was allowed to switch them up for something different. With that not only are facing different Pokemon at different health levels, all three are legendaries. I don't see how Paul could've won just because he's good.

Paul would've most definitely beat at least one Regi, had Brandon not been allowed to switch.

Why does this make a difference? If you're good, you can take out at least ONE of them, or all 3.

remember, when ash battled brandon, he used pokemon that have battle a lot

when paul battled brandon, he used lairon, nidoking, usaring, magmar and hariama
(all of them are newly caught except for magmar and ursaring)
if paul had used
torterra, gliscor, honchkrow, ursaring, electabuzz and magmar
he would have had a better chance, and brandon could not switch pokemon in the battle with ash, but he could with paul

Was there any evidence that Paul's Pokémon were newly caught? For all we know Nidoking could have been Paul's main Pokémon throughout Kanto and the Indigo League.

A better argument would be that when Pikachu beat Brandon's Regice, it had been caught only a few days previously and probably hadn't recieved any real training yet, while when Paul faced it it had almost three years of battling experience.

Wait, how would it have three years of experience if we haven't even gotten to the Sinnoh League yet, which would take months?

And frankly, Ursaring getting through Iron Tail is alright, since burn weakens Attack Power, but Thunderbolt is a large stretch. That beast shouldn't be able to keep going after so many shots. Quite unfair. As for those four other Pokèmon, they very well could have been in his team for quite a long time, and not revealing them could make them a surprise team of reserves, I suppose.

remember, when ash battled brandon, he used pokemon that have battle a lot

when paul battled brandon, he used lairon, nidoking, usaring, magmar and hariama
(all of them are newly caught except for magmar and ursaring)
if paul had used
Neither Nidoking, nor Hariyama, nor Lairon have Sinnoh dex #s. That means he couldn't have caught any of the three in Sinnoh. This means that he caught all three of them in a past region, with Lairon and Hariyama both from his Hoenn journeys, and Nidoran likely coming from his Kanto journey. Paul was doing just the opposite in trying to use experienced Pokemon, in addition to his powerhouse Ursaring, and a Magmar that may be from an earlier journey or not, but has proven to be a powerhouse type as well.

So there really is no "Inexperienced" excuse for Paul there.

and brandon could not switch pokemon in the battle with ash, but he could with paul
Ash doesn't make the rules. That's no excuse either.
-----

Fact is, Paul losing to Brandon like that but turning around and abusing Ash looks really bad for Ash.

You're really going to argue that? Why?

We've seen a wild Aggron (hell 2 even) in Sinnoh. And we've also seen a wild Lairon too.

Not to mention that Paul was seen trying to battle a Fearow with the intent of capturing it, analyzing it's battle data, and then keeping/releasing it depending on the circumstances.

However, it's highly unlikely that Lairon, Hariyama, and Nidoking, at least, were newly caught. Mainly, he would need to handpick some of his old pokemon should he have challenged Brandon (I mean, even he's crafty enough to know that trying to use newly caught pokemon is nothing more than suicide).

Neither Nidoking, nor Hariyama, nor Lairon have Sinnoh dex #s. That means he couldn't have caught any of the three in Sinnoh. This means that he caught all three of them in a past region, with Lairon and Hariyama both from his Hoenn journeys, and Nidoran likely coming from his Kanto journey. Paul was doing just the opposite in trying to use experienced Pokemon, in addition to his powerhouse Ursaring, and a Magmar that may be from an earlier journey or not, but has proven to be a powerhouse type as well.

So there really is no "Inexperienced" excuse for Paul there.

Well, I won't exactly agree with the whole "dex" issue (again, we saw two Wild Aggron in Sinnoh as he said, and Paul did try to capture Fearow in the same region. Though whether he succeded or not, as well as whether he decided to keep it or release it, is currently unknown at this time), but the fact that he used them against Brandon, who's not only the leader of the Battle Frontier or the strongest Brain, but also has legendaries under his direct command (IE, he owns legendaries) would imply that the pokemon he has (with the exception of Ursaring) was from one of his journeys outside of Sinnoh.

Fact is, Paul losing to Brandon like that but turning around and abusing Ash looks really bad for Ash.

Not to mention it looks really bad for Brandon, as well (Because if Ash's Pikachu lost to a Pokemon who not only lost to Brandon, but didn't even have experience compared to Pikachu, what would that make Brandon? I mean, seeing how Pikachu was able to defeat Regice pretty easily, that would make Brandon look bad.)

Hm, I honestly didn't remember that. Congratulations on making a withstanding point, ffs.

That still doesn't refute the fact that both were obviously trained (to the point of evolution at the very least).

As much as we've kept up with Paul and his Pokemon--in fact, fk that, as much as we KNOW about Paul, there's no reason he'd use an inexperienced team against Brandon.

There, it's that much more simple.

Last edited:
As much as we've kept up with Paul and his Pokemon--in fact, fk that, as much as we KNOW about Paul, there's no reason he'd use an inexperienced team against Brandon.

There, it's that much more simple.

The Pokemon he used in that match were specifically brought for the Snowpoint Gym. He just used the same team against Brandon instead of changing it around.

The Pokemon he used in that match were specifically brought for the Snowpoint Gym. He just used the same team against Brandon instead of changing it around.

I'm aware of that, and doesn't change anything.

Why would he have a "lesser team" brought in for anything? The idea that Paul used a poor team contradicts his entire character. Here you have a guy consistently searching for the Pokemon he deems as strong, even so much as throwing out those he feels are weak. So why, on such a big occasion, would he suddenly use anything less (for the gym battle, or the match with Brandon)? And the very fact that they were brought in implies that they were reserves more than anything.

Drawing it back to everything, I really doubt Paul's results would have been different had he used his other Pokemon, and I really doubt this was the case of an inexperienced team vs Brandon's legendaries. At the end of the day, I'm sure he chose a more than capable team, he just got worked. And again, that doesn't look good for Ash.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom