• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP132: Full Battle! Shinji VS Satoshi!! -Part 2-

Rubbish. We don't need foundations as in solid evidence. The experience of having watched this show for 12 years gives support enough to this theory.

My favourite bit of this ep is Mouka's Mach Punch in the direction of Shinji, and then his face and his hair got swept by the wind >D You show him fire monkey!

And Satoshi was so cute when he was all optimistic and like "All his other pokes have taken damage so we've got a chance!" I felt so awful, knowing what the outcome would be. I hope he comes out of this stronger and more fiercely sticking to his guns about friendship .etc.
Exactly. 10 years of Anime for me gives me a pretty much yes it will happen of Satoshi beatinf Shinji in the league. Of course though I also see the battle pasing by pretty fast if ash has an Infernape and Floatzel by then.(which I do not doubt. Something is bound to happen in the GF and I say its a Buizel evolution and Infernape will evolve against Jun) Which isn't fair but whatever.
Totally Monferno is about kicking ass and taking names. Can't waot for proper usage of him in a battle.

For me Jun is second Masamune.
I am pretty sure they will battle against each other in Sinnoh League. And match will be very close. NO doubt.

But IMHO Jun isn't very strong trainer. So if Ash will have close battle with his pokemon I will be dissappointed.

Because Jun so far didn't do a thing in any league but I am pretty sure writers will do close match between them.

I reckon Jun's gonna stick around though for the BF at least (his father being Kurotsugu and all...) So they can crank him up a bit then. For now, the big rivalry is with Shinji.

I do feel thought they probably should have evolved Monferno earlier in the series rather than after the 7th Gym, its possible that if Ash is to beat Paul, the writers will rush through Monferno and have a surprise Infernape evo right before the league.

Its really interesting to see how they pace this. They could have evolved Ash's Pokes earlier but chose to wait to near the end, which is why Paul just creamed him.

If Buizel and either Monferno/Grotle don't evolve one more time, the writers are going to run the risk of having Ash's win over Paul be unbelieveable in the league based on this ep.

I reckon Jun's gonna stick around though for the BF at least (his father being Kurotsugu and all...) So they can crank him up a bit then. For now, the big rivalry is with Shinji.
I want Jun to be the replacer of Brock for the BF. Not a rival but replacer.

If Buizel and either Monferno/Grotle don't evolve one more time, the writers are going to run the risk of having Ash's win over Paul be unbelieveable in the league based on this ep.

See the problem and it appears people are being stupid like Ash_Forever. Is they wouldn't set up this loss if they weren't going to have Ash teach his Pokemon something, or he himself learns something. The Pokemon themselves have no problem and if you say they do, go watch Bulbasaur kick Solrock and Dusclops butt, and Squirtle and Ninjask. So no, if they are capable of things then so are every other Pokemon on Ash's Sinnoh Team they just need to get in gear.

While yes I am biased for evolutions and would love to see Ash kick butt and take names with a fully evolved team (with the exception of Pikachu), not only is it entirely unrealistic (as that would mean 3 more evolutions, and Ash has never had a fully evolved team) but it is entirely unnecessary.

All Ash needs to do is start training his Pokemon and while it might be out of character for him, he still needs to come up with more counter shield counters and possibly work on his Pokemon's defense. While at this time that sounds unrealistic, because we're almost at the 8th gym (um in terms of Ash beat the 7th gym and is heading for his 8th), the writers could devote every episode, even Dawn focused episodes to Ash trying to come up with strategies that could beat Paul. And surely some of his Pokemon will learn new moves.

It's mostly Ash's fault as he made too many mistakes during battle (after all a Pokemon listens to its trainer), so I think if Ash were to smarten up, his Pokemon would be capable of beating Paul, no questions asked. Which is why I think Ash with his training should beat Volkner fairly easily, like 4-2 (if it's a 4 on 4).

^ I agree with you. Imo, it's not so much the pokemon...Ash just needs to learn from mistakes and come up with different techniques and strategies to successfully win against Paul. Add more training for his pokemon and at least one more evo, then I think Ash is capable of taking Paul's team.

I mean looking at this battle, if Ash hadn't gotten burned or paralyzed or Ursaring's guts wasn't activated, things could've been different. Not to mention if lineups on Ash's side were a bit different, he could've done better (i.e. if Pikachu went up against Honchkrow, it would be more favorable for Pikachu to win as opposed to going up against Magmortar and Ursaring).

While I would like Ash to have more evos, I personally would think that Infernape would be the one to evolve to take on a possible Electivire in the league.

See the problem and it appears people are being stupid like Ash_Forever.

More like your just being in denial about the situation, which is always the case with you.

Is they wouldn't set up this loss if they weren't going to have Ash teach his Pokemon something, or he himself learns something.

and if they chose the latter option we've got problems.

The Pokemon themselves have no problem and if you say they do, go watch Bulbasaur kick Solrock and Dusclops butt, and Squirtle and Ninjask.

Completely different pokemon under different circumstances, besides I wouldn't really use those two as an excuse as we all know thier probably up there with Charizard in terms of strength and have years of experiance compared to the sinnoh guys.

So no, if they are capable of things then so are every other Pokemon on Ash's Sinnoh Team they just need to get in gear.

They do need to get it in gear, but more than what you saying.

While yes I am biased for evolutions and would love to see Ash kick butt and take names with a fully evolved team (with the exception of Pikachu), not only is it entirely unrealistic (as that would mean 3 more evolutions, and Ash has never had a fully evolved team) but it is entirely unnecessary.

Considering how badly paul destroyed the sinnoh pokemon i disagree with you yet again, Paul's pokemon have gotten to a point where Ash's current guys all need to be evolved (sans Pikachu) to fight on par with him, if he challenges Paul again using the same line up he used in the full battle it will be a cop out, regardless of how much training or move learning (and the only pokemon i see learning anything is Monferno since it just got a second type) they get, because it's basically lowering Paul's pokemon just for Ash's to have a chance and that's bs to the max.

All Ash needs to do is start training his Pokemon and while it might be out of character for him, he still needs to come up with more counter shield counters and possibly work on his Pokemon's defense. While at this time that sounds unrealistic, because we're almost at the 8th gym (um in terms of Ash beat the 7th gym and is heading for his 8th), the writers could devote every episode, even Dawn focused episodes to Ash trying to come up with strategies that could beat Paul.

I really doubt thier going to devote every single episode to him, and considering Dawn's getting a couple episodes to herself coming up here soon that nails that idea dead.

And surely some of his Pokemon will learn new moves.

Monferno is the only one i see learning anything because it just got a second type, the others pretty much have enough moves to statisfy them for now.

It's mostly Ash's fault as he made too many mistakes during battle (after all a Pokemon listens to its trainer), so I think if Ash were to smarten up, his Pokemon would be capable of beating Paul, no questions asked.

I doubt that seriously, think about it, Gliscor roughed up Torterra alright, but as i thought Paul saw it coming back in for another go around and had the right counter ready to tear it apart, and don't get me started on Ursuring or Electabuzz, the two of them have grown extremely well since sinnoh began.

Which is why I think Ash with his training should beat Volkner fairly easily, like 4-2 (if it's a 4 on 4).

I doubt Ash will ever have an easy time with a Gym leader, especially the last one of the pack, i mean sure he beat Crasher Wake easily, but all of the other gym leaders have given him trouble, one beat him officially, two off court(or gym in this case)and he barely beat Byron and Candice, so i really doubt even if he does train he's going to go in and smack Volkner around.

Ash just needs to learn from mistakes and come up with different techniques and strategies to successfully win against Paul.

At this stage in the game it's kinda hard to see him come up with some kind of strategy to beat Paul, who pretty much relied on power as usual and knew what he was doing with it, equal power is necessary to combat a strong force, and his sinnoh pokemon currently don't have said force.

Add more training for his pokemon and at least one more evo, then I think Ash is capable of taking Paul's team.

Even if Monferno were to evolve again, I still don't think the sinnoh pokemon have what it takes, as i've said earlier Paul's pokemon have grown to strong levels, if the sinnoh pokemon can't reach those levels themselves, then they might as well take the bench and let the older guys handle it.

I mean looking at this battle, if Ash hadn't gotten burned or paralyzed or Ursaring's guts wasn't activated, things could've been different.

The grizzly bear was on a killing spree, and even if it had not gotten paralyzed it still would've torn up Pikachu given that it tore through it's thunderbolt.

Not to mention if lineups on Ash's side were a bit different, he could've done better (i.e. if Pikachu went up against Honchkrow.

Paul would've withdrawn it if that happened.

You know here's something I don't get, Paul is allowed to freely rotate around his current line up with four other known pokemon. (Gliscor, Hariyama, Nidoking, and Lairon) yet Ash has to stick with the same five he caught since coming to sinnoh?

Well, I think personally given how this battle went down, Ash should use some of his reserves, regardless of how much development his sinnoh pokemon receive upto the league, because who knows Paul might have something else waiting in the wings as well and probably isn't going to use the same line up he used against Ash in this battle, he's probably not going to use Weavile, seeing as how once again it went down without getting a ko for example and overall who knows what he will use against Ash in the league.

Not to mention he's got the upper hand on Ash by knowing exactly how his current pokemon are handled, if Ash brought in his reserves, all bets would be off and he'd be caught off gaurd since he doesn't know Ash has other pokemon.

Still, I will give the sinnoh pokemon a chance, but if Ash doesn't get at least two evo's (one alone is not enough, give me any excuse you want.) by the league, his current team will NOT be a match for Paul's and I know most of us would want to see a great believeable battle, not a crappy DEM one with his current line up, sure their strong but not enough to take on Paul as they are now.

More like your just being in denial about the situation, which is always the case with you.
No your just one of those people who sees every battle cheap (even if its not), because I'd bet you if the same crap that happened during the full battle, such as statuses, and abilities, if that happened to Ash and he got the upperhand you'd call it B.S. to the max. Or do I need to remind you of what you said about Buizel and Lucario?

And you're also one of those people who said Chimchar couldn't have won without using Blaze when it was battling Ursaring. So now we have the same thing here, and yet you're the one saying the battle was realistic and Ash has no chance of winning.

Double Standard for the win.

and if they chose the latter option we've got problems.
Strategies come from the trainer not the Pokemon, that's what I meant.

Completely different pokemon under different circumstances, besides I wouldn't really use those two as an excuse as we all know thier probably up there with Charizard in terms of strength and have years of experiance compared to the sinnoh guys.
The point was they were powerful unevolved Pokemon. Stop letting game mechanics interfere with your ability to think clearly, I'm biased for evolutions, and even I know that unevolved Pokemon in the anime can be strong.

Pikachu beat a Raichu

Buizel beat a Floatzel

Considering how badly paul destroyed the sinnoh pokemon i disagree with you yet again, Paul's pokemon have gotten to a point where Ash's current guys all need to be evolved (sans Pikachu) to fight on par with him, if he challenges Paul again using the same line up he used in the full battle it will be a cop out, regardless of how much training or move learning (and the only pokemon i see learning anything is Monferno since it just got a second type) they get, because it's basically lowering Paul's pokemon just for Ash's to have a chance and that's bs to the max.

Actually Buizel hasn't learned a move since Maylene, every other Pokemon (except Pikachu) has learned a move since then. Even Gliscor (whose moves weren't known till after Maylene).

And no, all you're doing is underestimating Ash's Pokemon, just because something loses, doesn't make it weak. Or did you think Staraptor shouldn't have knocked out Weavile because Ursaring knocked out Staraptor quickly, despite Staraptor not being at full health against Ursaring.

I really doubt thier going to devote every single episode to him, and considering Dawn's getting a couple episodes to herself coming up here soon that nails that idea dead.
And we know this how? The summary makes the Tangrowth episode sound as if Dawn is training alone, if Mamoswine runs into the forest, what's Ash doing? And the hustle episode, Ash, and Brock are going to be participating so even if the focus is Dawn, Ash will be participating as well. There's also the fact that during long arcs, they can't simply have Ash doing nothing. Hell one contest Ash was teaching Swellow aerial ace.

Monferno is the only one i see learning anything because it just got a second type, the others pretty much have enough moves to statisfy them for now.
Huh so Mach Punch was already known by Chimchar? Monferno just decided to use it, now?

I doubt that seriously, think about it, Gliscor roughed up Torterra alright, but as i thought Paul saw it coming back in for another go around and had the right counter ready to tear it apart, and don't get me started on Ursuring or Electabuzz, the two of them have grown extremely well since sinnoh began.
And what did Gliscor do except attack straight forward? Gliscor lost to Torterra just to lose.

I doubt Ash will ever have an easy time with a Gym leader, especially the last one of the pack, i mean sure he beat Crasher Wake easily, but all of the other gym leaders have given him trouble, one beat him officially, two off court(or gym in this case)and he barely beat Byron and Candice, so i really doubt even if he does train he's going to go in and smack Volkner around.
I don't see how having 2 Pokemon left is the same thing as smacking Volkner around, and judging by Volkner's Pokemon, and Ash's Pokemon, he had better knock Volkner around.

Raichu- Just have Pikachu do it's stuff and win. Or Gliscor.
Octillery- Grotle, and Pikachu.
Luxray- Gliscor, Pikachu, Monferno, Grotle
Ambipom- Monferno could easily beat Ambipom.
Jolteon- Gliscor, Monferno, Grotle
Electivire- Huh, I actually see this as a possibility, only Electivire isn't Volkner's last Pokemon (Luxray is) and Ash knocks out Electivire with Monferno.

Even if Monferno were to evolve again, I still don't think the sinnoh pokemon have what it takes, as i've said earlier Paul's pokemon have grown to strong levels, if the sinnoh pokemon can't reach those levels themselves, then they might as well take the bench and let the older guys handle it.
That's not true, because again you're underestimating Ash's Pokemon, as I have said before, and will always say, the fault rests with Ash alone, because the Pokemon follow orders from Ash, not the other way around.

The grizzly bear was on a killing spree, and even if it had not gotten paralyzed it still would've torn up Pikachu given that it tore through it's thunderbolt.
Sorry but no, the only reason Ursaring did that was because of guts. I still see no feasible way that Ursaring could've survived all those attacks without Bulk up, and guts (which shouldn't affect defense anyway). Hell it survived 2 of Chimchar's attacks, how is that realistic.

And even Electabuzz, was getting its butt kicked but like I said on serebii forums, it just had impossible stamina.

Paul would've withdrawn it if that happened.

And yet he didn't recall Torterra right away when Ash sent out Chimchar, nor did Paul recall Torterra when it was battling Gliscor.

No your just one of those people who sees every battle cheap (even if its not), because I'd bet you if the same crap that happened during the full battle, such as statuses, and abilities, if that happened to Ash and he got the upperhand you'd call it B.S. to the max.

Again, Ash is the main character, things are alot stricter on him than other trainers.

Or do I need to remind you of what you said about Buizel and Lucario?

That's because Buizel was only able to put up a decent fight given the conditions, in the full battle there were no obstructions, and the pokemon gave it there all.

And you're also one of those people who said Chimchar couldn't have won without using Blaze when it was battling Ursaring.

In the snapping episode it would've lost if Blaze hadn't kicked in, you can't deny that.

So now we have the same thing here, and yet you're the one saying the battle was realistic and Ash has no chance of winning.

Not with the way his guys are now because they got thier butts kicked badly.

Double Standard for the win.

Excuses and denial for the win more like it.

The point was they were powerful unevolved Pokemon. Stop letting game mechanics interfere with your ability to think clearly, I'm biased for evolutions, and even I know that unevolved Pokemon in the anime can be strong.

Trying to use Bulbasaur and Squirtle as excuses for you flawed justification will get you no where because we all know how powerful they are, they could probably beat the crap out of the sinnoh pokemon if they wanted too because thier that strong.

Pikachu beat a Raichu

Lame excuse.

Buizel beat a Floatzel

Even lamer, different pokemon, different circumstance plain and simple.

Actually Buizel hasn't learned a move since Maylene, every other Pokemon (except Pikachu) has learned a move since then. Even Gliscor (whose moves weren't known till after Maylene).

Except what else can it really learn? I can't see any other water moves.

And no, all you're doing is underestimating Ash's Pokemon, just because something loses, doesn't make it weak.

Never said the sinnoh guys are weak, they just can't fight someone like Paul who's too strong for them.

And we know this how? The summary makes the Tangrowth episode sound as if Dawn is training alone, if Mamoswine runs into the forest, what's Ash doing?

Probably looking for Dawn.

And the hustle episode, Ash, and Brock are going to be participating so even if the focus is Dawn, Ash will be participating as well.

Sounds more like a dance type competition or something like the cosplay thing.

There's also the fact that during long arcs, they can't simply have Ash doing nothing. Hell one contest Ash was teaching Swellow aerial ace.

And yet now he chears for Dawn during contests.

Huh so Mach Punch was already known by Chimchar? Monferno just decided to use it, now?

monferno's the only one who can really learn new moves, because Mach Punch isn't enough to cover it's fighting typing.

And what did Gliscor do except attack straight forward? Gliscor lost to Torterra just to lose.

Because Paul saw it coming and knew what to do to prevent a repeat of the previous fight.

I don't see how having 2 Pokemon left is the same thing as smacking Volkner around, and judging by Volkner's Pokemon, and Ash's Pokemon, he had better knock Volkner around.

And your calling me out? are you insane? Volkner is the region's last GL, he's not going to falter that easily.

That's not true, because again you're underestimating Ash's Pokemon, as I have said before, and will always say, the fault rests with Ash alone, because the Pokemon follow orders from Ash, not the other way around.

If Ash was a crappy trainer he wouldn't have gotten seven badges and have a well developed team, the problem you don't realise is that said team is not ready for someone like Paul, he's too strong for them.

Sorry but no, the only reason Ursaring did that was because of guts.

Let me see, Guts didn't kick in until after it had slaughtered Buizel and Staraptor, and even then it would've crushed Pikachu from how it tore through the thunderbolt, guts or not.

I still see no feasible way that Ursaring could've survived all those attacks without Bulk up, and guts (which shouldn't affect defense anyway). Hell it survived 2 of Chimchar's attacks, how is that realistic.

Maybe because Paul's trained the thing since he got it, and it's probably been training at his brothers breeding center too.

And even Electabuzz, was getting its butt kicked but like I said on serebii forums, it just had impossible stamina.

Again, denial isn't health man.

And yet he didn't recall Torterra right away when Ash sent out Chimchar, nor did Paul recall Torterra when it was battling Gliscor.

Chimchar: he had a lightscreen up so Torterra was safe from it's fire moves, and had stone edge to force Chimchar away.

Gliscor:self explanatory.

I'm getting tired of this Dman, say whatever you want but this episode opened alot of people's eyes and made them realise his sinnoh guys have got to evolve or he can't battle Paul with them again, thier not weak by any means, but Paul's pokemon are too strong for them, blaming Ash is an stupid excuse to avoid the issue that his pokemon aren't strong to battle Pauls and your too stubborn to admit it.

I'm done arguing with you on this matter, say what you will, but your opinion and mine are both meaningless in the great scheme of things.

I do agree that Ash needs his other Pokemon for the rematch.

The question is, who should Ash use then? I can't imagine Charizard participating against Paul because of Monferno/Infernape, nor Bulbasaur, Bayleef or Sceptile because of Grotle. I think Buizel would battle in that match as well.

I can see Ash swapping out Staraptor, Gliscor and Pikachu for other Pokemon. Strange for me to think that Pikachu gets swapped out, but it would be a throwback to the Johto league match against Gary, where he didn't use Pikachu. Snorlax sounds like a safe bet, but I can see them surprising us with Noctowl and Heracross. I think Noctowl's psychic powers would be a good way to throw Paul off, and Heracross is stronger than it looks.

Again, Ash is the main character, things are alot stricter on him than other trainers.
You talk about excuses but that's an excuse plain and simple.

If Ash can't do it, then don't say Paul can pull of DEM crap and then get away with it. That's just plain Bull.

I'm sick of Ash getting flak just because some of his wins aren't realistic enough for some people. And yet when someone else does the same bull Ash does, wins because of it, no one cares because it was a good strategy.

Oh I bet if Winona had a Zapdos with her Swellow, and they pulled off Thunder Armor, and won because of it this would be the result:

Most Illogical Responses: Good strategy Winona, why didn't Ash think of that? Oh man Ash just sucks.

But then look at when Ash did do it vs Tate and Liza.

Most Responses- BULL****

That's because Buizel was only able to put up a decent fight given the conditions, in the full battle there were no obstructions, and the pokemon gave it there all.
The only damage Pikachu managed to receive from Magmortar was rock tomb, every damage it received elsewhere to the time it faced Ursaring was from the burn. Not mention Burn lowers your attack strength (not special).

In the snapping episode it would've lost if Blaze hadn't kicked in, you can't deny that.
What? Since when does blaze prevent from being knocked out. And I'll say it again. Chimchar was only at a disadvantage because of Secret Power's effect. Chimchar could not attack therefore it got the beating of life time. Ursaring could not win under normal not affected circumstances.

Excuses and denial for the win more like it.
Not that you will nor care if you do, read my analysis on the full battle at Serebii Forums, there should be a link of it in this thread.

Except what else can it really learn? I can't see any other water moves.
Why does it have to be a water type move? There are plenty of moves it can learn. Razor Wind being a better Sonic Boom. Or even Ice Punch.

If Ash was a crappy trainer he wouldn't have gotten seven badges and have a well developed team, the problem you don't realise is that said team is not ready for someone like Paul, he's too strong for them.
I don't remember saying Ash was a weak trainer, remember what Paul said. "If a Pokemon loses, it's the trainer's fault." Just because Ash beat 7 Sinnoh Gym Leaders, doesn't mean Ash is safe from having faults.

Let me see, Guts didn't kick in until after it had slaughtered Buizel and Staraptor, and even then it would've crushed Pikachu from how it tore through the thunderbolt, guts or not.
Right Staraptor was at full health when it battled Ursaring, good one.

And Pikachu was at a disadvantage, after all not only was it afflicted by burn, Ursaring's guts was activated because static worked the very first hit Pikachu did against Ursaring (or more like because Ursaring hit Pikachu). Pikachu should have beaten or tied with Ursaring, not lose they way it did. Because without burn, Pikachu would've relatively been at full health, because like I said, it only received damage from Magmortar's rock tomb, at full health, Pikachu could've beaten Ursaring easily, and without guts Ursaring wouldn't have knocked it out the way it did. Because Pikachu had some energy left from the Hammer Arm, only to fall in the water.

If you claim Torterra is so strong because it's Paul's Pikachu. Then what about Ash's Pikachu? It lost.

Maybe because Paul's trained the thing since he got it, and it's probably been training at his brothers breeding center too.
Right and Ash has been goofing off ever since he came to the Sinnoh League.

Again, denial isn't health man.

Seriously, Mach Punch, Flame Wheel, Dig (super effective), and a explosion from thunder punch and mach punch, and it couldn't knock out Electabuzz?

i dont get why everyone is complaining bout ash's skilz and strategy. its obvious ash couldnt beat paul with his new weak pokemon. just take a look at his team.

If Ash used his original 6 he would've owned paul.
They didnt show paul losing big time against brandon for no reason.

Second when Ash's pokemon wants to continue battle , thats usually a good thing. xept in this case buizel was just too weak to win the match.

Bulbasaur however when facing a high leveled rhyhorn refused to retreat and won the match because of its skilz.

I say dont blame Ash for losing against paul.
Blame his choice of pokemon.
If he used his team of 4 + snorlax against ursaring and 1 more he would easily beat paul by now.

Why are people ignoring the fact that Paul used a well-thought-through strategy based on what he knows about Ash's way of battling and on how his Pokémon are? Ash lost because Paul knows of the way Ash battles and used that against him - he didn't lose because his Pokémon are weak or because he's a piss-poor battler.

Sheesh.

From where I see it, the battle was a clash between a trainer who wanted to win (Paul) and a trainer who wanted to prove himself (Ash). Paul's desire to (crush and) win was simply greater than Ash's desire to prove that his training method is effective. That doesn't mean Ash is wrong or that he's weak, though. It just means Paul will do whatever it takes to win, in this case spend ten days on teaching his Pokémon new attacks, carefully select what Pokémon to use in the battle and analyze Ash's battling methods so they can be used against him. Particularly think of a way to knock Ash off his feet and then strike, which Paul was clearly successful at - Ash lost his calm, thus couldn't think rationally and just tried to attack as much as possible.

The solution for Ash's comeback won't be to use his reserves. That'd be unfair for his Sinnoh Pokémon which all want to give Paul a piece of their mind and it wouldn't develop Ash as a character either. The best solution is for Ash to learn to not lose his cool whenever he's around Paul and have a strategy of his own with precautions for surprise attacks that Paul may pull out of his sleeve.

Why are people ignoring the fact that Paul used a well-thought-through strategy based on what he knows about Ash's way of battling and on how his Pokémon are? Ash lost because Paul knows of the way Ash battles and used that against him - he didn't lose because his Pokémon are weak or because he's a piss-poor battler.

Sheesh.

From where I see it, the battle was a clash between a trainer who wanted to win (Paul) and a trainer who wanted to prove himself (Ash). Paul's desire to (crush and) win was simply greater than Ash's desire to prove that his training method is effective. That doesn't mean Ash is wrong or that he's weak, though. It just means Paul will do whatever it takes to win, in this case spend ten days on teaching his Pokémon new attacks, carefully select what Pokémon to use in the battle and analyze Ash's battling methods so they can be used against him. Particularly think of a way to knock Ash off his feet and then strike, which Paul was clearly successful at - Ash lost his calm, thus couldn't think rationally and just tried to attack as much as possible.

The solution for Ash's comeback won't be to use his reserves. That'd be unfair for his Sinnoh Pokémon which all want to give Paul a piece of their mind and it wouldn't develop Ash as a character either. The best solution is for Ash to learn to not lose his cool whenever he's around Paul and have a strategy of his own with precautions for surprise attacks that Paul may pull out of his sleeve.

I know. In fact, had Paul done the things he did in that match (ie, pretty much demolish pikachu with Ursaring) within the League, he definitely would have been disqualified (If Pokemon battles were based off of the Martial Arts as Satoshi Tajiri once claimed, then injuring a pokemon in battle (like breaking it's legs, hurling them outside the arena violently [or in the case of Pikachu and Ursaring, being hurled into the lake violently] or any of that) is definitely a disqualifiable offense (Just watch Karate Kid, and you'll see what I mean by that.).

EDIT:

@Mr. Cash: Maybe his Sinnoh team overall is lacking compared to his Kanto, Johto, or even his Hoenn team, but Pikachu definitely isn't even that weak (Heck, it took down a Regice with barely any effort)

Last edited:
I've seen many comments on that Ash should evolve his pokemon or use reserves so to have a chance to beat Paul.

Of course evolution on Ash's team is good, but one thing is almost as important: the moves. Instead of evolving, they can have new moves.
Except Pika and Staraptor, all other members have potential to learn new moves:
Buizel: Water Gun => Hydro Pump or Ice Punch.
Grotle: Razor Leaf (or Synthesis) => Earthquake, Stone Edge, Solar Beam, or Leaf Storm.
Gliscor: Sand-Attack for Earthquake, Roost or something else.
Monferno: Flame Wheel or Dig for Flare Blitz.
How about that?

Another word comes to my mind: "Sync". Battling in sync with the team can only be done by good bonding, friendship, and communication, which Paul fails to do. Sync is very powerful as one doesn't need to verbally tell the pokemon what move to use (Anabel; Scott: "to a certain aspect, she's the hardest frontier brain to battle"), thus hiding the trainer's strategy. The Hoenn Battle Frontier arc actually developed "sync" to the fullest, so if anyone missed the arc out it's worth going back to watch.
Although the battle to Paul is lost, it's probably Ash who actually wins out in this episode. He got a pokemon evolved because of him. Grotle and Buizel wanted to prove themselves to their trainer. The other 3 are on excellent terms with Ash. From this episode and former ones we can see a lot of communication between Ash and his team, and hence build up some sync (esp. Buizel in 3rd gym) with them. On the other hand, what did Paul get? He only got a win that doesn't count, and without any prize. We see little communication (calling the moves doesn't count), let alone sync, between he and his team (maybe except Torterra). Time will tell the difference.

I can foresee that Ash will turn out using his excellent bonding with his team, together with some un-orthodox methods, to beat Paul in the league. He probably needs some more time to bond, sync, and maybe some more moves. It's his new team after all.

Yes, Ash should be smarter, but don't forget that smartness can only build up through full understanding to the pokemon in: not only their type, moves, ability, power, but also their will to battle (hey I don't wanna fight so I use a weak Flamethrower), braveness, and in general how they feel.

So very true. I think that's enough to fairly say that the scale would be a bit more balanced out upon evolutions. And in fact, this kind of NEEDS to happen, considering Electivire's still to come.

Also, I meant to point out one thing... The fact that Paul got utterly DESTROYED by Cynthia and Brandon, is the biggest thing that makes this loss a horrible one.

Also, I meant to point out one thing... The fact that Paul got utterly DESTROYED by Cynthia and Brandon, is the biggest thing that makes this loss a horrible one.

See, this is what I DON'T understand. We know that Pikachu was perfectly capable of demolishing Paul's team in one fell swoop (Heck, it defeated Brandon's Regice with barely any effort at all, and without ANY help, not to mention the fact that it had experiences from four leagues already [Orange League counts]), so why did it end up losing badly? I mean, at least with the rest of Ash's Sinnoh Team, it's understandable (none of them even had the same battling experience as Pikachu did. In fact, not even close), but Pikachu should at least be able to take down a few of the pokemon, even with it's Burn status.

I mean, sure, they would want to focus on the other Pokemon, but that doesn't mean they should downplay Pikachu's strength to the extent that it's now nothing more than a pokemon compared to JJM in strength. Plus, it would have made Brandon look pathetic (If Ash's Pikachu, who beat his Regice, lost to Paul the way it lost in this episode, of whom Brandon utterly demolished, what does that make Brandon?).

Last edited:
I will say a few things about this entire match, and one thing is that Ash wasn't exactly prepared to beat Paul. Just looking at Paul's Ursaring, it took three of Ash's Pokemon to knock it down. Just look at the lopsidedness of that. Otherwise it was ridiculously EV trained. It was literally powerhouses vs. base-stages. I do not blame any of Ash's Pokemon, but they were just not at the right level that Paul's Pokemon were. Even if Monferno defeated Electabuzz, it would still be finished by Honchkrow. Mostly all of Ash's Pokemon probably "dented" Paul main Pokemon (Electabuzz, Magmortar, Torterra), but it took so much endurance to knock out that Ursaring.

What I now see, that most of you probably know the reason why Paul lost to Brandon, and why Ash defeated him earlier. Brandon showed Paul the true way of raising and training Pokemon to their maximum efficiency. Paul lacked this at all levels except for one. All that Paul focused on was pure, raw power, and this is was not the way to defeat any trainer, as Brandon just showed.

Sure, Paul beat Ash because all he had was power at indescribable levels, maybe close to being uncontrollable. Nothing else was holding him back. Just using this strategy gave him quick results. But these are only short-term winnings; they won't hold for long. This is what shows why Ash will succeed in the end, because he doesn't focus only on just power, but of other properties that enhances a Pokemon's strength. In the end, he will be the victor in the final battle against Paul.

The solution for Ash's comeback won't be to use his reserves. That'd be unfair for his Sinnoh Pokémon which all want to give Paul a piece of their mind and it wouldn't develop Ash as a character either.

That, and if Ash used Sceptile, Charizard, & co. to defeat Paul, that wouldn't change Paul's opinion at all. He'd still think Ash is stupid for not using these powerful Pokemon in Sinnoh in the first place and working with "weaklings" instead.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom