• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP132: Full Battle! Shinji VS Satoshi!! -Part 2-

I'll say the best solution to this dilemma is to rotate between reserves and Sinnoh pokemon during all the league battles, except for the one against Paul, where he uses only Sinnoh ones. This way Ash will get Paul to acknowledge his methods (given that he wins), and we'll se a nice overall rotation and variety of Pokemon during the league. His wins won't be deemed as unbelievable either if he mixes in some reserves for the more difficult matches after beating Shinji.

I'll say the best solution to this dilemma is to rotate between reserves and Sinnoh pokemon during all the league battles, except for the one against Paul, where he uses only Sinnoh ones. This way Ash will get Paul to acknowledge his methods (given that he wins), and we'll se a nice overall rotation and variety of Pokemon during the league.

I don't see how that will help at all. The fact he uses reserves at all will still make him look weak to Shinji.

His wins won't be deemed as unbelievable either if he mixes in some reserves for the more difficult matches after beating Shinji.

I really don't think he'll be fighting many, if any, other people after Shinji. It's not like the writers are going to have them be the first match.

Folks, would you mind keeping your posts a teensy bit shorter so that everbody has the time to actually read them all :ksmile:

If Buizel and either Monferno/Grotle don't evolve one more time, the writers are going to run the risk of having Ash's win over Paul be unbelieveable in the league based on this ep.

That's exactly why I was so upset after reading the result.
IF the writer should have Ash defeat Paul, then I bet they'll once again use a cheap DEM trick which, I guess, would make me explode finally... With regard to this battle, what sensible alternatives do they actually have unless they give him another victory as if by magic? A messed-up battle against Paul in the Sinnoh league...OMG, the thought of it alone is making me go nuts!

But there's yet another important objection which I think many of you seem to have forgotten:
Even IF Ash were to defeat Paul, the latter still would have more victories under his belt (I mean victories in real Pokemon battles, not the Poke-Ringer competition). So what difference would it actually make, if Ash could beat Paul for a change? Paul would probably just dismiss Ash's victory as luck.

I feel somehow that Monferno's intense battle with Electabuzz gave an extra boost to evolve quickly. But then we don't know what the timeline is. At any rate, I would not call it a "rushed" evolution, since what took place here does answer some doubts.

The whole point is to get Shinji to respect the way Satoshi trains his Pokemon. If he beats Shinji without him acknolegking that Satoshi's way is better, then it was all a waste.

There's nothing truly wrong with the way ash trains. Its the way he battles paul period. And without a doubt, he lets his attitude get to him. Thats his main issue when it comes to rivals. It was practically the same case with Gary, Ash does not have self control. If his training methods did not work, he would have never gotten so far as he did. At this point, trying to prove some training method is a waste of time, considering the win streak thus far. Ash needs to try to focus on BEATING him than trying to prove he's stronger. He can ONLY prove his strength by getting more wins, and at this point, its a waste of time trying, because look at the streak as it is. Ash is weak by default based on the amount of times paul has handed him his narrow behind (not to mention pulling some stupid moves along the way, yes Ash, order your turtwig to counter a FLAMEWHEEL with a simple tackle attack!). He's convinced that he sucks and I doubt securing another win is going to change his mind. Who cares what training method is better? They're both obviously good considering how far they've gotten in their lives as trainers. Ash is just insecure about his rivals smack talking, and that wears on his nerves.

The whole point is to get Shinji to respect the way Satoshi trains his Pokemon. If he beats Shinji without him acknolegking that Satoshi's way is better, then it was all a waste.

Maybe if Monferno showed the extraordinary power it had as a Chimchar prior to Paul capturing it, then Paul would respect it more.

Didn't Monferno's Blaze get activated near the end?

That's what Hikari thought, but Reiji says otherwise. He says that Moukazaru just showed fighting spirit, as opposed to truly activating its ability.

That, and if Ash used Sceptile, Charizard, & co. to defeat Paul, that wouldn't change Paul's opinion at all.

His opinion probably isn't going to change regardless of what Ash uses, he's like a hard shell that won't crack from one loss.

He'd still think Ash is stupid for not using these powerful Pokemon in Sinnoh in the first place and working with "weaklings" instead.

Personally i would like to see that happen, have someone call Ash to question as to why he keeps "starting over" when it never really seems to get him anywhere further to his goal.

Even if Ash does beat him at the league, Paul will probably call the win a fluke, like i just said i doubt he'll ackowledge Ash's way of training period, the way his character is set up it'd be too hard to see him crack after one loss to Ash, it'll probably take multiple losses for that to happen.

Last edited:
I finally decided to watch the anime... downloaded it... Satoshi got pwnt.

Hey everyone
I'm new to this forum , not to the pokeworld obviuously
I joined cause I figured it's time to say something
the creators of the anime are slowly (very slowly) destroying Satoshi -over 600 episodes and he still can't battle ?
just isn't realistic !
okay some of you say he could have won if he has better strategies and some if his pokemon were stronger/if he had brought some of his older pokemon. well I say it's both.
He could have brought one or two of his strong pokemon and still make his point (he did bring muk out for strategy reasons in the first league so we know he knows how to ) But even with only the sinnoh pokemon although he couldn't have won, he sould have been able to take down at least two more pokemon.
and I get it that he is offensive so what does that mean suicidal now ? no long/medium range attacks ? going against Torterra head on seemed so stupid I wanted to scream. lightscreen/protect doesn't work forever he just needed to keep his distance.
last thing - if he'll bring his reserves he will crush Paul (Charizard alone can take Shinji's entire team) which means he won't and also means for me that maybe he'll catch one strong pokemon? I don't think he can rely on only the ones he uses now for the entire league.

Hey everyone
I'm new to this forum , not to the pokeworld obviuously
I joined cause I figured it's time to say something
the creators of the anime are slowly (very slowly) destroying Satoshi -over 600 episodes and he still can't battle ?
just isn't realistic !

They've destroyed him in the hoenn saga. He got even worse here.

he sould have been able to take down at least two more pokemon.

damn straight

if he'll bring his reserves he will crush Paul (Charizard alone can take Shinji's entire team)

Lets not get carried away here. Charizard isn't perfect. Hell he's about average at best.

I'm just trying to put up with the result of this episode ,but one question still remains unsolved:
Even IF Ash were to defeat Paul, the latter still would have more victories under his belt (I mean victories in real Pokemon battles, not the Poke-Ringer competition). So what difference would it actually make, if Ash could beat Paul for a change? Paul would probably just dismiss Ash's victory as luck.
So ,will Ash ever be able to triumph over Paul as the real winner, which means both morally and in terms of skills?

Having Ash lose to Paul gives him more milestones to reach, and I think they'll save his big win for the grand festival. Paul was looking quite a weak trainer when he lost to Brendan, so this defeat kinda makes up for it and keeps the plot moving.

Not bad, writters ^_^

Lets not get carried away here. Charizard isn't perfect. Hell he's about average at best.

well maybe I did go a little bit over the board (possibly because I am a huge charizard fan ) but I still say he's way over average now (what other pokemon besides pikachu and he beat a legendary with no help ?)and he keeps getting stronger all the time ( he does still keep training vs all the other charizards )

Last edited:
Honestly, the only thing that makes it so bad is that Paul, in turn, got destroyed by Cynthia and Brandon. Because in the grand perspective of things, that makes Ash look miniscule when he actually shouldn't be.

-----
I don't see how that will help at all. The fact he uses reserves at all will still make him look weak to Shinji.
Which is extremely stupid, considering the fact that Paul himself uses vets (3 as of now). It irritates me how Paul never gets called on his crap, like when he accused Ash of training the same way he does.

Folks, would you mind keeping your posts a teensy bit shorter so that everbody has the time to actually read them all :ksmile:

This, but everyone should put up with your long-winded rants about how much you love Ash and Cynthia?

Honestly, the only thing that makes it so bad is that Paul, in turn, got destroyed by Cynthia and Brandon. Because in the grand perspective of things, that makes Ash look miniscule when he actually shouldn't be.

Cynthia's the champ though, way out of both of their leagues.

Which is extremely stupid, considering the fact that Paul himself uses vets (3 as of now). It irritates me how Paul never gets called on his crap

THANK YOU

Did anyone noticed that Paul was acting differently in the episode? No snide remarks, No taunts, no cocky comebacks? IMO this battle is the turning point of Paul's character.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom