• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP149: Pikachu, Pochama, Keep Apart!!

Re: DP 149 "Keep Away from Pikachu and Pochama!!" Preview Thread

I already know the reason why they're that way. This episode is very similar to "A Better Pill To Swallow". Most likely, everything will be back to normal in the end.

then all those episodes where he clearly had an attraction to females (like Waterflowers of Cerulean City with his reaction

Okay, I don't understand this whole "Pikachu was attracted to the Waterflowers" thing. I've seen that part tons of times, where is the romantic attraction?

The fact that they were both affected by a female Togepi's Attract (along with Meowth, confirmed to be male and Croagunk) means that they are both male.

Says you.

Says you.

No, Takeshi said it himself on the episode. Attract affects ONLY the opposite gender. The Togepi was female, she used Attract on Pikachu, Pochama, Nyarth and Gureguru, all of them were affected. Musashi's Yanmega wasn't affected and it was confirmed she is female. End of story.

Denying canon facts will only make you look silly.

As for this episode, I can't wait. It's going to be incredibly amusing, I bet. If only to see Hikari and Satoshi's reactions to their pokemon being so lovey-dovey.

I lol'd a bit at people having problems with a gay Pikachu because it was shown to be attracted to women of different species

So what about what Brock said? He's not the best breeder in the world, he can't know everything about moves and their affects.

Anyway..Pikachu and Piplup get hit by some love machine, they fall in love, they get back to normal..The end.

Hey, look at all the people who didn't read what really happened

Let me clarify once again.

Pikachu and Pochama are NOT GAY. Well, they may be. But that isn't confirmed nor supported in this episode.

There is a machine that scientist guy made. And it was used on Pikachu and Pochama. The machine makes pokemon who do not like each other become friends. It makes pokemon that are friends... well, temporarily end up like Pikachu and Pochama.

So they ARENT GAY. They just are under the machine's bidding, just like they were under Togepi's attract recently. They aren't gay, at least not permanently.

But like i said, they could be gay and that confirmed later. But as this episode goes, they are not. Its just a machine.

It was a sarcastic response to Weedle *rolleyes*

So what about what Brock said? He's not the best breeder in the world, he can't know everything about moves and their affects.

Still. In the games, it works that way and only that way. In the anime, though they have a history of not following the games, thats how it is. The move is a move. Its not like they ACTUALLY fall in love. Regardless of sexual orientation or even species, it only affects the opposite gender. End of arguement.

Anyway..Pikachu and Piplup get hit by some love machine, they fall in love, they get back to normal..The end.

Exactly what i've been saying this whole time.

Besides, it looks like admiration more than sexual attraction.

Re: DP 149 Keep Away from Pikachu and Pochama!! (Preview Thread )

It really isn't. くっつく means "stick together" or "adhere." The title of this episode, however, is くっつかないで, which means "don't stick together" or "don't adhere." Which then, naturally, gets changed to "keep away" because that sounds a lot less Engrish-y.

If the title really was meant to say "stick together," it would have been something like くっつけ! or simply くっつく.

Misleading title? Maybe. But incorrectly translated? Not at all.

I still think it's better to change things a little to make them more logical and fit the episode rather than literally translate word by word exactly as it is
The current "Keep away from Pika/Pip" sounds like the characters are running away from Pika/Pip which is not the case at all
If anything, at least change it to "Pikachu and Piplup, keep away from eachother!" or something like that to make it clear the intention is that they're trying to separate Pika/Pip and not to run away from them (I still think "Pika/Pip, don't stick together!" is better)

Oh, whatever... just said my opinion

TPCI - or PCI if you prefer - (The Pokemon Company International) dubs Pokemon. Cartoon Network is just the place were it airs.

Duart actually dub it

Last edited:

I think I'm going to have more fun watching people argue about how Pikachu and Piplup are GAY, OMFGZORZ!! than I will watching the episode itself.

The absolute best part is how everyone's ignoring the "a machine that makes Pokemon's relationships stronger got used on two Pokemon that already have a good relationship, so now they're acting all lovey-dovey. Proceed with hilarious situation caused by the new lovebirds, with everything going back to normal at the end pf the ep" bit and instead jumping straight to GAY? IN MY POKEMON? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! IT CANNOT BEEEEEEEEEEEE! The second best part is how the target audience won't care at all and will look at it as just another "funny situation" episode.

If anything, at least change it to "Pikachu and Piplup, keep away from eachother!" or something like that to make it clear the intention is that they're trying to separate Pika/Pip and not to run away from them (I still think "Pika/Pip, don't stick together!" is better)
That makes more sense to me too. Although anything makes more sense than "Pikachu and Piplup Keep Away!", which is what Serebii is using as their de-facto title.

I think I'm going to have more fun watching people argue about how Pikachu and Piplup are GAY, OMFGZORZ!! than I will watching the episode itself.

The absolute best part is how everyone's ignoring the "a machine that makes Pokemon's relationships stronger got used on two Pokemon that already have a good relationship, so now they're acting all lovey-dovey. Proceed with hilarious situation caused by the new lovebirds, with everything going back to normal at the end pf the ep" bit and instead jumping straight to GAY? IN MY POKEMON? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! IT CANNOT BEEEEEEEEEEEE! The second best part is how the target audience won't care at all and will look at it as just another "funny situation" episode.

That makes more sense to me too. Although anything makes more sense than "Pikachu and Piplup Keep Away!", which is what Serebii is using as their de-facto title.

So what if it was a machine? It still makes them look gay for each other, whether it's permanent or not.

So what if it was a machine? It still makes them look gay for each other, whether it's permanent or not.

But they're not in love with each other, they're under effect of that machine
We even see in the preview that when they snap out of it for a second they're angry at each other... stop being ridiculous

Seriously, can't people just enjoy a funny episode instead of coming to ridiculous conclusions? -_-

No one is coming to ridiculous conclusions just yet, Piplup. Of course, people are going to start shipping Pikachu and the penguin together because of this episode whether it makes sense or not. It's just the way fandom goes, y'know?

Too bad we can't just enjoy it though... I hope when the episode actually airs, we'll be able to have a decent discussion about it and no "OH MY ARCEUS TWO MALE POKé HUG EACH OTHER WITH HEARTS IN THEIR EYES"

No one is coming to ridiculous conclusions just yet, Piplup. Of course, people are going to start shipping Pikachu and the penguin together because of this episode whether it makes sense or not. It's just the way fandom goes, y'know?
Shame is, as LightningPearl Shipper, I must disagree with you. If it really turns out to be what people are predicting (machine who will tunrns Pikachu and Piplup, who are just friends, to love each other and then at the end they will be turn back to be just a friends), I have bad feeling after this episode, I will be very dissapointed LightningPearl Shipper :eek:hdear:

I'm more concerned about the machine itself and it's limitless shipping potential.

Pokemon Sunday had some new shots. Not only Pikachu Pochama...

92724420.jpg

Here's the other one:

DP149Preview_1.jpg

I really hope the Rocket Pokemon get affected. :-D

Plenty of WEIRD relationships in this episode. So it's not just Pika and Pip. But they just had to include Gen II pokemon in there...

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom