• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP154: The Air Battle Master Enters! Glion VS Hassam!!

Re: DP 154 "The Air Battle Master Enters! Glion vs. Hassam!!" Preview Thread

btw the 2nd pokemon in training in dp?!?!?!
o_O

I did think it was pretty fitting for them to play "Kaze to Issho Ni" (the ending theme to the first movie) during its flashback / farewell scene, though.

'The wind will be with you', right? Fitting indeed.

Preview: Piplup gets frozen, Candice returns with Abomasnow.

OMFG booker are you for real? I mean just the way you act...wow.
But I see it got the Charizard effect. Sounds good likely to return for the league then.

what i do? o_O

here comes gible, so excited! :D

Just a question: How can Scizor learn Flamethrower?

Last edited:
Hey, guys, Fukamaru / Gible doesn't have anything to do with this episode. Let's keep this focused on Glion, OK?

And to answer Mitchman's question...yes, it did stay behind to train with the Air Master.

Wow. That had to be the most boring release episode ever. The whole episode was painfully predictable. You could really tell how little the writers cared for my favorite Satoshi pokemon ever. At least the Rocket-Dan were there to amuse me for a minute. What a lame way to go out.

I was also not surprised when the Rocket-Dan made the "kuuki yomenai" comment at the end.

The what now?

No, it sucks.

A bit of elaboration would be nice.

To be honest you could see this was going to happen a country mile off. Its just a shame when they wanted to give Satoshi a new poke they had to have him release one, a bit of team swapping every now and then would have been a nice change.

Cause Gliscor is bringing what exactly to his Sinnoh team??? For crying out loud, IT WON ONE BATTLE... one as in one more than zero and that battle was clearly won by chimchar who defeated the first two pokemon and more than held its own against bastiodon. But the writers wanted to throw Gliscor a freebie... Let's face it, battle wise Gliscor is weak, it was weak as a gligar and didn't really improve after evolving.

Personnality wise, I get why some people might be upset because it was the comic relief of the team (didn't make me laugh annoyed me to tears but... it might not be so annoying to other people)

Anyway, Gliscor's leaving and I'm not exactly shedding any tears, it was long overdue...

While the character growth of the Pokemon is important, the character growth of Ash is also important... What more could he do exactly with Gliscor... nothing, it would have rotten away in its pokeball until ash needed it for the 6 on 6 battles in the league and then would have been knocked out fast (cause it's weak... recurring theme of this post) Let's face it, Gliscor plateaued in its character developpement (like ambipom for that matter) it's fear of flying is over, it's knocking down Ash was somewhat cute yet boring when it was a gligar, it's annoying now. The writers give them character growth while they can but when their story arc is at an end, send them away instead of keeping them on the team for nothing and forcing storylines on them... Gliscor's departure is long overdue...

That being said, I'm not ready to hail gible as the next messiah just cause it's a dragon type. I'm gonna give it a fair chance, but let's be honest, he can't be worst that Gliscor...

those were my two cents

Ps : Those who think it's better if the pokemon is oaked, no it's not, you're not seeing it again unless they do a battle frontier and bring it back for 2 minutes...
Umm it doesn't matter how many battles he's won or lost, Ash now has 5 Pokemon with him, and Gible makes 6. But Gible is a first stage Pokemon and I bet Gliscor could do more in battle then him. That's what I was getting at, if Gible doesn't evolve there was no point in getting him and releasing Gliscor.
People are acting like Gliscor did a whole lot of battling and winning when it didn't, even Totodile and Noctowl did a whole lot better then Gliscor ever did, even though they had a few battles at least they won them.

Gliscor never really did anything that much on Ash's Sinnoh team to fush over it, Gible have a much better chance to battle alot and do a whole lot of things on Ash's Sinnoh team then Gliscor ever did.

Gible/Gabite are the Pokemon that fits Ash entire Sinnoh team a whole lot better then Gliscor who is not really all that important compare to how Gible will be to Ash's Sinnoh team and Ash is not going to bring back any of his old Kanto/Johto/Hoenn teams, he have the Sinnoh team to train in order to make them stronger and they are the team that Ash will depend on for the Sinnoh league not his old ones.
Comparing Gliscor to Totodile and Noctowl makes no sense at all.

Also how are you sure he wont switch some of his old Pokemon back in at the league??
Just a question: How can Scizor learn Flamethrower?
It can't, it's impossible.

I wouldn't worry too much this is some training, most likely going to return for the league. But until then...Gible.

So what possessed the Air Master to have a stroke and ask for Gliscor?

I'm very disappointed Gliscor did all this work at night, proof that Ash can train Gliscor. Improved dramatically, and learning Giga Impact.

And then a "You SUCK" by the writers, as Gliscor loses yet again and then gets released.

It really was sad to see Gliscor get tossed out as if it just was on Ash's team as long as Primeape.

Ash even said "Sinnoh League" earlier in the episode. What really messes things up is Ash actually gave Gliscor's Poke ball to the air master, actually appearing to relinquish control over it.

Edit: And for those who say Gliscor is weak, it's not, the writers were never nice to Gliscor, if they had given it more battles it could've been seen as a good Pokemon.

Musashi said:
The what now?

The whole episode, Satoshi and Glion are trying to learn how to "kuuki o yomu." The literal translation of that is "read the air" and, after watching the episode, that literal translation works well.

But "kuuki o yomu" also means "read the situation" or "gauge the situation." Firefighters, for example, have to be good at "reading the situation" and think on their feet to save lives. People who can't read the situation, on the other hand, are said to kuuki o yomenai (literally, "can't read the air"). In regular English, you would translate that as "awkward" or "tacky." So, like, someone who wears a track suit to a funeral would be kuuki o yomenai.

I didn't *quite* get the context of the Rocket-Dan's dialogue, but they basically had a pun based on the phrase that everyone kept saying over and over in this episode.

So what possessed the Air Master to have a stroke and ask for Gliscor?

I'm very disappointed Gliscor did all this work at night, proof that Ash can train Gliscor. Improved dramatically, and learning Giga Impact.

And then a "You SUCK" by the writers, as Gliscor loses yet again and then gets released.

It really was sad to see Gliscor get tossed out as if it just was on Ash's team as long as Primeape.

Ash even said "Sinnoh League" earlier in the episode. What really messes things up is Ash actually gave Gliscor's Poke ball to the air master, actually appearing to relinquish control over it.

Edit: And for those who say Gliscor is weak, it's not, the writers were never nice to Gliscor, if they had given it more battles it could've been seen as a good Pokemon.
Didn't he hand over Charizard's ball too?

Hmm. All the negativity concerning giving the pokemon away aside, it doesn't sound like Glion managed to get a good comic relief scene in. That's a bit of a downer.

Didn't he hand over Charizard's ball too?

I don't know, I don't think so because Ash apparently had it with him during the matches Charizard reappeared. Although Noland and Brandon are the only important examples since Liza was with them when he faced Claire, as for the Johto League, eh.

I think the Professor Oak's Lecture was tons better than the episode. I mean it was ditto but that tiny cute Pikachu (at least it looked like a Pikachu) shocking Professor Oak while Ditto looked on was priceless.

Hmm. All the negativity concerning giving the pokemon away aside, it doesn't sound like Glion managed to get a good comic relief scene in. That's a bit of a downer.

Not really, unless you count the Team Rocket encounter when Gliscor crashed into their balloon. Gliscor was mostly depressed/Apathetic in this one.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom