• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP164: Pochama Goes Astray!

PKMN_Veteran

Since 97'
Reaction score
DP 164 "Pochama Gets Lost!"

[bp=DP164]Bulbapedia link[/bp]

- Pochama gets blasted by Fukumaru's Draco Meteor
- Rocket-dan is shown tearing in a very stylized manner
- A Dosidon is seen attacking the group
- Pochama is in tears when he sees Pikachu
- Rocket-dan appear to want something

Airs February 18 at 19:00 JST on TV Tokyo Network.

Re: DP 164 "Pochama Gets Lost!" Preview Thread

Ha...I misread the title as "Pochama get lost!"

From the preview, Piplup learns a new move.

I'm pretty certain, because bubble beam has never "gushed" out like it did (and nothing else Piplup has does that). It looks like those who said Piplup is using a new move in the new 5th gen revealing 13th movie poster were right.

I'm guessing hydro pump, or brine.

Well aside from Rhyperior and Piplup most likely learning a new move, there's not a whole lot about this episode.

Still wondering why Dawn is petting Gible though.

Ahh. I love when boring sounding episodes get better with a rocket themed preview. :-D

Boring episode

Looks like Flash Cannon from Rhyperior.

I missed the preview but in that poster it looks like BubbleBeam to me...

Bubble beam as I said has never ever been gushy like hydro pump, water gun. Bubble beam is a series of bubbles (as in you can count the number of bubbles, if you want).

So two things:

1. Looking at the attack in the movie poster (up close), I can safely say that it is one continuous stream of water, and there doesn't seem to be anything that would say its a bunch of bubbles.

2. The attack in the poster pretty much looks exactly like the attack in the preview, and assuming the quality wasn't horrendous on my end, once you see the preview (or someone can post a picture) you'll automatically see that it is NOT bubble beam.

It's might be hydro pump. Puplup ahould learn another move, but it also can be BubbleBeam.

Ha...I misread the title as "Pochama get lost!"

Well that would be an interesting episode...

Still, at least we're getting a new move for the penguin, something that's at least 100 episodes overdue. Now if only Buneary and Croagunk could follow suit...

Here's the attack in question:

DP164preview_Pochanewmove.jpg

Looks like Hydro Pump to me.

I'm very surprised by the Rocket-Dan music. And people thought this episode wouldn't be very good. :-D

Well, I'll have to watch the preview to see for myself... I just think that movie poster was too small to be sure if it was BubbleBeam or not
EDIT: thanks to Musashi I can see it now... ok, it sure doesn't look like BubbleBeam... it's either a new attack or some crazy power up for BubbleBeam (activated by either Torrent or some eat-your-attack thing that they started)
We can't be sure yet but yeah, it does look like a new attack and probably Hydro Pump
But I doubt they'll get rid of Pip's BubbleBeam (it was even mentioned with Pikachu's Thunderbolt in the full version of High Touch) and I can't see Whirlpool "removed" either... so they'll get rid of Peck/Bide for a third water attack? =\ I'd prefer Drill Peck to replace that old weak Peck instead

You know, this all Dawn's fault. If she just kept Piplup in his Poké Ball, he wouldn't get lost so often.

The quality of this episode will depend a lot on whether the writers remember Piplup has a personality. At least there's lots of other interesting stuff going on so calling it "boring" is a little premature.

Also, Pikachu apparently doesn't like dudes showing him that much affection.

It has the same digital effect as Water Gun and it's much bigger.
That has to be Hydro Pump!

This boring "filler" episode just got much better with Team Rocket's preview music and Piplup finally learning a new attack. But where exactly is Professor Rowan?

You know, this all Dawn's fault. If she just kept Piplup in his Poké Ball, he wouldn't get lost so often.

I think the summary already said Pip actually run away because of Gible, so if he got lost - it's Gible's fault for keep hitting it
Pip being out of ball is no different than Pika... Dawn isn't at fault for keeping it out @_@

The quality of this episode will depend a lot on whether the writers remember Piplup has a personality.

I can't remember when exactly Pip didn't have one... especially lately
Maybe if people would stop taking thing way too seriously and just enjoy the show they'll realize how funny the poor penguin is

Heh, funny when you think about that love episode...

But where exactly is Professor Rowan?

I doubt Rowan will appear... the summary just said Pip decided to run away back to Rowan so unless there's another summary I don't know about - I doubt Rowan will actually appear

Quote:
Well, he's often very :| face whenever Buneary shows him too much affection, so perhaps he just doesn't like being hugged by clingy, emotional pokemon.

LOL Poor Piplup, your trainer ignoring you in favor of giving Gible what seems to be praise. Hey, I wonder if they're petting Gible on the head because Gible managed to improve in his Draco Meteor shower.

Well, I'll have to watch the preview to see for myself... I just think that movie poster was too small to be sure if it was BubbleBeam or not
EDIT: thanks to Musashi I can see it now... ok, it sure doesn't look like BubbleBeam... it's either a new attack or some crazy power up for BubbleBeam (activated by either Torrent or some eat-your-attack thing that they started)
We can't be sure yet but yeah, it does look like a new attack and probably Hydro Pump
But I doubt they'll get rid of Pip's BubbleBeam (it was even mentioned with Pikachu's Thunderbolt in the full version of High Touch) and I can't see Whirlpool "removed" either... so they'll get rid of Peck/Bide for a third water attack? =\ I'd prefer Drill Peck to replace that old weak Peck instead

They're not gonna "replace" any moves. Pokemon in the anime are not restricted to four moves apiece, I thought Ursula's Plusle and Minun proved this last week.

The whole premise of this episode is just...utterly stupid. Piplup knows it always gets hit by Draco Meteor, evident in it's constant fleeing for cover and all that jazz. It's got warnings prior, since it knows when Ash is about to start some Gible training.
JUST GO IN YOUR DAMN POKEBALL WHEN HE'S TRAINING IT. The solution to it's problem is so mind numbingly simple is unbelievable :p

"We could always watch TV at our houses, Eddy."
"What? And ruin the plot?"

They're not gonna "replace" any moves. Pokemon in the anime are not restricted to four moves apiece, I thought Ursula's Plusle and Minun proved this last week.

Can you please list all the attacks Plusle and Minun used? I can't remember all of them...
Anyway, to me it's pretty obvious that since the beginning of DP every Poké in the main cast knows only 4 attacks and if they learn a new attack, you can clearly notice one of their old attacks "disappeared"
Maybe it's not unbreakable rule but it seems like they're doing their best to follow the games' 4 limit this time, at least with the main cast
But I'd still like the know the attacks of Plusle/Minun

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom