• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP184: Shin'ō League Third Round! Shinji VS Jun!!

Re: DP 184 "Shin'ō League Third Round! Shinji VS Jun!!" Preview Thread

Would it have killed the writers to have let Jun win at least one match?

Jun should have at least won the Sawamura vs. Ringuma scuffle.

Ursaring was way too overpowered anyway. It's Shinji's version of Swellow.

I know this episode is probably going to harm the chances of some of Ash's older guys getting their dues, but I can't bring myself to complain. Jun is just such an entertaining character that it's hard to find fault with an episode that focuses so heavily on him. The fact that he'll soon be departing from the show is a real downer.

Man, I can't get enough of Ursaring. It's just so angry at the world. 'GUUMMMAAAA!' *bites head off a kitten* Of all the pokemon Paul has, it suits him the most I reckon. I wonder if that's the reason it's used so frequently?
Speaking of joyously-challenged bruins, I thought Ursaring v. Hitmonlee was pretty damn cool. Hand to hand combats are always so action packed on this show when they get around to them. That, and I'm glad that it prevented Empoleon from getting as much attention as it could have recieved.

I did think it was awesome how Paul told the guy it was a good battle. I thought for sure he was going to burn him.

Wow thought Barry would at least win one battle and not get swept as badly as he did.

All i wanna say is that empoleon looked creepy when it took the last hit.

DP 184 "Sinnoh League Third Match! Shinji VS Jun!!"

Moving to the next round, we get to see the anticpated match between Shinji and Jun (But we know how it ends anyway). Rocket-dan appears to be having some trouble selling new warez. So the battle starts of with Jun's Airmd vs Shinji's Booburn. Unfortunately Airmd loses almost immediately. After some switching, the next match is between Shinji's Ringuma vs Jun's Sawamular. However, Ringuma's Guts ability gave it the edge and KO'd Sawamular. Jun sends out Emperte to counter but Shinji switches to Elikiburu. Emperte ended being battered so much that it's Torrent ability activated. But it was not enough to win and Shinji won the match. As an attempt to cash in on their match, Rocket-dan rushed to get Shinji's and Jun's Pokémon as merchandise and crowds starting to rush in. After the match, Jun asks Shinji about their match in which Shinji acknowledges it was good. It was kind of sad that that Jun didn't win against any of Shinji's Pokémon but regardless, the match was very good. Overall I give this episode an 8.5/10.

I did think it was awesome how Paul told the guy it was a good battle. I thought for sure he was going to burn him.

Yeah, I was surprised by this as well.

I really liked this episode, even if it was too one-sided. Jun and Shinji are just too awesome.

I think it would have been nice for Jun to get one ko, but I wouldn't really see any of the 3 Shinji used against him getting koed. Maybe if he used manyula instead of ringuma, oh well. Good episode overall and there wasn't too much TR to take away from the actual battle.

Props to seeing Torrent. And of course, we had a Guts activation. Pretty lame to see Skarmory go down so quick after the Spikes set up, but whatcha gonna do.

I really really want to see a top tier match between Ursaring and Ash.

- Paul wins his match, Ash's Snorlax comes to play and defeats an opponent's Grumpig by jumping on him, looks like he won his match (Top 16?)
- I still love this opening song.
- Shinji vs. Jun!
- Ash, Dawn and Brock look onto the leaderboard, Conway creeps up. Everyone's a bit creeped.
- Barry comes running in, as usual. Wish I could understand them.
- Looks like another TR plot. Around selling things again. Stop stealing screen time!
- Paul is looking at Empoleon over a computer screen. (?)
- Paul runs off as usual.
- Hey! It's Conway again! He is talking about the Legendary trainer. Still no sign of whoever this woman/man is. Why are they keeping it such a secret?
- A Rock field, huh?
- Finally! The match!
- Barry sends Skarmory, Paul sends out Magmortar. Looks like Skarmory gets Dexed.
- Skarmory is out! That was quick. One explosion in the air.
- Barry sends Empoleon, that hits a shot on Magmortar. Paul returns Magmortar! Barry is shocked.
- Paul sends out his trusted Ursaring, Barry recalles Empoleon, and sends out Hitmonlee! He gets Dexed too.
- Hitmonlee kicks Ursaring which seems to really tick Ursaring off! But Hitmonlee resists.
- This bear is vicious. Nearly faints Hitonlee, but gets completely hit back.
- Nice double shot of Hitmonlee/Paul. Hitmonlee hits back with a flame kick and burns Ursaring.
- Ursaring activates Guts and knocks Hitmonlee out! Poor Barry doesn't stand a chance.
- Back to Team Rocket acting melancholy.
- Back to the match. Empoleon gets sent out against Ursaring. But back to Team Rocket.
- Ursaring gets recalled! Paul sends out Electrivire, he gets dexed.
- Empoleon hyper beams and there is a large collision with electric. But Empoleon stands up.
- Empoleon is in deep trouble! Barry is crying for his life. But it activates Torrent!
- After a quick powerup, Empoleon tries its best, but it was not enough. It was defeated after a good battle.
- Back to Team Rocket. Everyone likes whatever they have to sell.
- Outside, Barry calls to Paul. For what I can see, congratulates him and cheers him on.
- Conway's back! This guy doesn't give it up, does he? Ash seems rather angry whilst Conway stands casually.
- Nice artistic ending shot there.

Overall, it was a good epsiode, and a nice comeback for Empoleon, but it would have been nice to focus more on the battle, and not have Skarmory knocked out after one hit. It's always nice to have a barry episode though.
7/10

Re: DP 184 "Shin'ō League Third Round! Shinji VS Jun!!" Preview Thread

We're getting a somewhat clearer picture of the LT (attached pic along with Creepy Conway).

Guess the trainer is a dude then?

Looks like a woman to me.

And LOL (unfortunately) Barry got sweeped badly. I'm with Dogasu, Barry should've at least taken out one Pokemon.

And did Ash identify "torrent" before Brock, despite it not appearing before? I know Brock "clarified" but I was just wondering what Ash said so excitedly at that point.

Excellent episode! The battle was def. a bit rushed. Keyhole TV's a bitch to me, so ofcourse it times out when the LT was being shown (kinda)

~ Barry bumped into Dawn XD lol

~ Paul is doing research on Barry...while the gang just decides to go up to him...again.
(This part confuses me: Paul says the word "tanoshii;" IIRC, that means "fun," right? WTF, is he enjoying this?)

~ Magmortar vs. Skarmory (set up spikes, is 1HKO'd...Expected, my skarmory would be 1HKO'd by a fire attack too :p )
~ Empoleon is brought out, Paul recalls Magmortar (Don't freak out Barry, lol)

~ Hitmonlee (kick kick kick!) vs. Ursaring (guts is activated after blaze kick)
~ Electivire (knows giga impact now :p) vs. Empoleon
~ Torrent is activated, *HYDROCANNON*, but Electivre protects and Barry's pretty much screwed at this point. He gets hit directly by a thunder after doing so well avoiding those thunderpunches. The faint scene is really sad, Barry's running up to him all dramatically *sniff*

~ LOL @ TR. Instead of selling figures of Paul and Barry's pokes, just sell figures of them, then you'd be swamped :p

~ Paul: "Ii battle" (it was a good battle?) Ureshii (I'm glad?).
~ And Barry's all solemn at this point, WTH? (I don't know what happens after this...)

See people? I told you Paul wouldn't act completely jerk-assy! If anything, he respected Barry ^^ But he did get curbstomped pretty badly D:

*now to change my siggie*

Bubblewrap said:
- Paul is looking at Empoleon over a computer screen. (?)

He was looking up information on his opponent, Jun. Empärt's his main pokemon, so that was the one displayed on the screen.

That's odd, why is it he congrats Barry with one freakin KO but Ash has done that a few times in battles before. To Ash it was always a rude rermark or ignoring? Is that how Paul just treats his true rivals or some thing?

That's odd, why is it he congrats Barry with one freakin KO but Ash has done that a few times in battles before. To Ash it was always a rude rermark or ignoring? Is that how Paul just treats his true rivals or some thing?

I call it favoritism :3
(for some reason, he's only really mean to Ash and maybe Maylene. He's not a full time jerk, apparently)

Now this was more like. I thought everything was handled much better than two weeks ago.

The Jun/Shinji match was awesome. Yeah it would've been nice if Jun knocked one of his Pokemon out, but Jun really isn't all that strong... I loved that big emotional moment at the end with Empart. I thought that was a great way to show Jun isn't goofy all the time.

The Rockets were handled much better this time as well. Kojiro taking charge is always win, and I loved the GF Musashi doll and the cute Nyasu one. It's great they're really succeeding at this.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom