• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP186: Rival Decisive Battle! Satoshi VS Shinji!!

Re: DP 186 "Rival Decisive Battle! Satoshi VS Shinji!!" Preview Thread

-Rising floors!
-so pikachu starts
-giga impact
-awww gliscor hug
-REGGIE!! Cute brotherly love moment!
-Dawn is trying to perfect her stalker techniques for Conway
-paul is going to confess his love for Ash to Dawn
-Ash runs towards paul in slow motion XDD
-aww poor Meowth :(
-yes! switching!
-wow Infernape already
-Moar flashback!!!
-Aggron is set on fire XD
-so ..who is Barry rooting for?
-everything is better when Barry watches a battle
-wow how can anyone say Gastrodon isn't strong
-Yes!!!! Fantina flashback!!! Counter shield! So Paul was spying on Ash back then? XD
-Gastrodon x Staraptor anyone? XD
-ICE AQUA JET!!!!!!
-Buizel gets a win!! hallelujah!
-now for Drapion to even out the score;.
-ok, its all great having Reggie watch, but couldn't he have actually come to the league??
-moar countershield!!!!
-predictable ending

so... Paul dialogue + Reggie + Barry + counter shield + ice aqua jet + Buizel win = a very good episode. Hopefully it will get even better in the next episode.
I'm so so glad ice aqua jet and counter shield weren't forgotten. That alone makes the battle awesome.

Kinda eh that this time around Ash is doing all the KOing, opposite of last time. Blame it on the pokemon he's using.

2-0? I can easily see the battle becoming a furious match where ash rapes the entire time and then outta nowhere its 4-5 and ash is losing.

Hoo boy, I was on the edge of my seat when Gastrodon came in. I thought for sure they were gonna pull a Muku.Gyp, but thankfully punching and kicking solid ground without nary a broken toe saved the day. As is the pokemon way.

The battle went as follows:

Aggron Vs. Pikachu
Pikachu is recalled and Infernape is sent out.
Aggron Vs. Infernape - Winner Infernape
Gastrodon is sent out and Ash recalls Infernape and sents out Staraptor.
Staraptor is recalled and Buizel is sent out.
Gastrodon Vs. Buizel - Winner Buizel
Drapion is sent out.
Drapion Vs. Buizel - Episode ends.

So, is it over?

Can anybody translate what Paul was saying in the flashback?

Gastrodon using Counter Shield because Paul saw this in his battle against Ash was genious.

This is what I got out of the battle, btw.

Aggron:
Metal Claw
Metal Sound
Flash Cannon
Double-edge (with no recoil taken due to Rock Head)

Gastrodon:
Muddy Water (unsure. the one used in Counter-shield)
Water Pulse
Body Slam
Ice Beam

Drapion:
Pin Missile
Cross Poison

Paul stared at his pokeball after he recalled Gastradon...But he didn't say "Useless!" or anything (but then again, he usually only does that to newbies on his team...or chimchar).

I'm wondering how recently did he get that gastradon? Obviously it was trained well and everything, but It almost seemed like he got it ESPECIALLY for Ash. It even know's one of Ash's strategies. If anything, Paul's downfall may be...not believing in his old team like Ash did?

I dunno.

DP 186 "A Decisive Battle Between Rivals! Satoshi vs. Shinji!!"
Time for the start of Satoshi vs Shinji! So we get to see the return of Glion which many of us have been anticipating. Pochama has found out he was male so he decided to ditch the cheerleader outfit for something more pompous. We also got to see Renji who had a good talk with Shinji and actually got him to smile. Hikari was also there to eavesdrop on them. The battle was the main highlight of the episode. With Pikachu, Gokuzaru, and Mukuhawk out, Satoshi is in quite a pich while Shinji only has Bosugodora and Toritodon KO'd. The episode was good in building up the battle, but I am not sure if it is necessary to span it over 3 episodes. The animation was nicely done this episode. Overall,this episode deserves an 8.5/10.

So, Ash's struggling, but already put down 2 of Paul's pokemon. Good. But, Paul, you son-of-a-b... counter-shield? Use your own tricks, bastard!

I'm wondering how recently did he get that gastradon?

Obviously the second he saw Cynthia's in DP100 and realized he has the funny feelings around this hot, powerful lady Champion of this region.

His battle logic has fallen victim to love in the form of AN HOMAAAGE

Finally Gastrodon East gets its debut. Its the only pokemon who didn't had a debut out of DP pokemon. I think.
So we're left with Drapion, Electivire, Froslass and other mysterious pokemon Paul has, but I saw on Serebii there was Ursaring. Was it a flashback?

Finally Gastrodon East gets its debut. Its the only pokemon who didn't had a debut out of DP pokemon. I think.
So we're left with Drapion, Electivire, Froslass and other mysterious pokemon Paul has, but I saw on Serebii there was Ursaring. Was it a flashback?
Ninjask. It was revealed a while back. You can probably find the picture in this thread.

And they showed it during the preview anyway.

Obviously the second he saw Cynthia's in DP100 and realized he has the funny feelings around this hot, powerful lady Champion of this region.

His battle logic has fallen victim to love in the form of AN HOMAAAGE

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one v_v

If anything though, it's Cynthia who has a weird fixation on Paul and Ash...Nice to see she remembered that chimchar/Infernape ^^;

Wow, I was very impressed with this episode. I guess Tomioka was saving all the good stuff for the Shinji match. The battle got off to a really intense start, and I loved how everything Satoshi learned in DP (ice aqua jet, counter shield) is being shown. You can really tell he's grown and changed since the last time they battled.

Reiji kinda creeped me out though... he looked like Mr. Burns the entire time he was watching the battle. And I should've known there'd be shipping (though it was Pearl, not Ikari) in this episode. :/

This battle is too easy for Ash. I'm sure that with Ursaring, Magmortar and Torterra, Ash wouldn't have so easy life.

Ninjask? Well it was shown that Paul captured it, but it was never used. Strange. Well at least a bug type pokemon get its spotlight. It will probably be Ninjask vs Gliscor, or Ninjask vs Staraptor.

Mod Edit Stay on-topic, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I was very impressed with this episode. I guess Tomioka was saving all the good stuff for the Shinji match. The battle got off to a really intense start, and I loved how everything Satoshi learned in DP (ice aqua jet, counter shield) is being shown. You can really tell he's grown and changed since the last time they battled.

Reiji kinda creeped me out though... he looked like Mr. Burns the entire time he was watching the battle. And I should've known there'd be shipping (though it was Pearl, not Ikari) in this episode. :/

What did Dawn actually say to Paul?

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom