• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP187: Intense Fighting Full Battle! Satoshi VS Shinji!!

Now that I got to watch it properly not whatever Keyhole B.S. was going on, I'll say this it was slightly better but not with Torterra.

Buizel using its air flotation was B.S.
Excuse me but in what way? There was nothing cheap about it, Crasher Wake's Floatzel did something similar, and not to mention look at Ash's Buizel contest appeal in the wallace cup. But why does it matter when Buizel lost? All it did was delay the inevitable.

Buizel is weak
And yet somehow Torterra who has never won a battle as is, loses simply due to "plot cheapness?" Bull Shit. If you're going to hold Torterra as a strong Pokemon who falls because the writers take illegal drugs before writing plots and cheapen Buizel's win against a Pokemon that's strong enough to be on his team, then that really is pure B.S. Buizel is not a weak Pokemon at all since it beat Gastrodon, and no I don't care what you think of Gastrodon, it was literally making Staraptor its bitch (again from my last post, prison lingo), and Staraptor is no slouch since prior to this match its form was capable of knocking out an opponent's Pokemon before falling. So cheapening the win Buizel deserved and got because it was against a Gastrodon isn't fair at all.

Staraptor vs Drapion
While I was primarily okay with it, Staraptor shouldn't have been in this match. Losing its perfect record I'm really disappointed. Who should've replaced Staraptor? Gible. Seriously it has never battled Paul and it deserves to be a fall guy because its never battled him. While Staraptor on the other hand didn't need to have its perfect record destroyed simply because it partook in the previous full battle and beat Weavile.

Drapion vs Torterra
Synthesis isn't as powerful as rest but who cares, if you thought Pikachu vs Regice was DEM, then surely you can find this match DEM as well. Okay I was mistaken I thought that Torterra lost because Ash ordered Synthesis. After watching the battle properly, I learned that it lost because of Bull Shit. Seriously one "pin missile" attack after healing all the damage done to it really was beyond stupid. Tomioka seriously get your head out of your ass and stop favouring Infernape. Seriously I refuse to believe Pin Missile was so much stronger than Toxic Spikes+ Whatever move Drapion did to Torterra. Pure DEM, and it ruined the episode for me (ignoring that later I was on the edge of my seat). Just utter B.S.

Gliscor vs Ninjask
I'm glad, I am disappointed no move made contact but well, who cares it lost the air battle (had to recall it).

Infernape vs Ninjask
While Infernape, I suppose was kicking ass here (one by removing Toxic Spikes, and two by defeating Ninjask in a cool way), I still despise Infernape's win, because just like Aggron (although much more) was simply unnecessary as to the fact that it doesn't prove Infernape's strength. Seriously if Infernape could not beat Ninjask then *shakes head* Infernape doesn't deserve to beat Electivire or win the match for Ash. Just like with Aggron (although a strong Pokemon in of itself) was still 4x weak against Mach punch. That's like expecting Kyogre beating a Geodude means anything towards the strength of Kyogre (even if the strongest trainer in the world used Geodude and a new born baby knew only one attack), it's just a bunch of unnecessary wins. If it wasn't for the fact that Chimchar/Infernape stole wins from the other Sinnoh members throughout its time, I wouldn't be so annoyed with Infernape.

But the fact is, it did not need to win all those wins to show how strong it was, I really don't care if it was recalled after winning once and never used again while Ash's other Pokemon took their glory (or even waiting until the very last opponent's Pokemon to show up) but for example Makina's Ditto vs Infernape was utterly unnecessary when Ash's other Pokemon needed it more. I'd also say Ditto vs Pikachu was unnecessary but eh, who cares.

Pikachu vs Froslass
You know how some of you judge the match by number of hits each Pokemon receives. Maybe you shouldn't do that any more. I mean honestly when there's a bunch of tactics being used to escape damage and the anime "dodging" that takes a large portion of time is there any reason to expect an even longer match just so said winning Pokemon can dish out an infinite number of moves on the opposing Pokemon? Seriously look back at Regice vs Pikachu, sure it was cheap, blah, blah, blah, but was it rushed? I think we need to look more to how long a match is between Pokemon moreover than how many hits the losing Pokemon takes (except possibly after using a move like rest or synthesis like what Torterra had to deal with, but unlike Regice when it used rest 50 million times because it was incapable of beating a Pokemon any other way). I mean think about it for a minute, if a match takes 10 minutes, and all that was dealt was one hit at the end to knock it out, is it really fair to call the match cheap?

This sort of goes with Froslass and Pikachu, sure Froslass was just hit with Iron Tail and Volt Tackle, but just to clarify: Froslass is part ice, Iron tail is super effective and Volt Tackle is Pikachu's strongest attack. Unless you wanted Froslass to beat Pikachu up a little more why would this battle be "cheap" because it was a two hit knock out? There was a lot of battle time between the Pokemon (I'd probably say a good minute). I don't hate Pikachu and while I feel like it should get bare minimum wins (since we see it for all eternity unlike Ash's other Pokemon), I guess this win was acceptable enough that I don't mind. Although if the match was epic it was more so on Froslass's side than Pikachu, I mean ghosting out to not take damage from volt tackle was pretty neat.

Gliscor vs Drapion
That's it? No, I mean sure this little brawl before the end of the episode was pretty epic, that's not what I meant. What I meant was that's all the air master did? Seriously Stone Edge and a somersault in the air to avoid the recharging from Giga Impact? Are you saying that IS ALL the Air Master did for Gliscor. Pure and utter Bull Shit, seriously how could Ash not do this. You know I was expecting something different, I don't know if it was going to be Cheap and Bull Shit to use Gliscor, I was expecting something a little more out of Ash's league in terms of training.

Stone Edge- No seriously Ash has seen stone edge, the only real difference is the air master decided to teach Gliscor stone edge, honestly though Ash could've taught it just the same. Besides it makes sense doesn't it, stone edge would be mostly super effective against anything that would partake in air battles (aside from those small number exceptions). There's also the fact stone edge did absolutely NOTHING.

Somersault Strategy- That's it? No, seriously, that's it? And Ash couldn't figure this out on his own given the fact that he did something similar when he rematched the Air Master (albeit copying McCann)? Wow, Air master you disappoint me, you're existence was utterly pointless. And here I thought it was going to cheap and B.S. to have Ash use Gliscor. But I'm not seeing a damn thing that Ash couldn't figure out on his own. Other than possibly stone edge (but as I said the difference comes from the trainer's willingness to train Pokemon said move, sure Ash could not have thought to teach Gliscor Stone Edge, but that doesn't mean some plot episode couldn't have been used for the purpose of teaching stone edge to Gliscor). McCann is the worst trainer ever. He may be an air master, but it is quite obvious that it doesn't come from raw skill but rather experience. Seriously that somersault strategy could've easily come from an accident. Like let's say Gliscor used impact on a very "bouncy" Pokemon and "accidentally" somersaulted in the air because of it, but said "bouncy" Pokemon could not hit Gliscor during its recharge period because it was already too far away. Seriously, again McCann you disappoint me.

Last edited:
While I was primarily okay with it, Staraptor shouldn't have been in this episode. Losing its perfect record I'm really disappointed. Who should've replaced Staraptor? Gible. Seriously it has never battled Paul and it deserves to be a fall guy because its never battled him.

A major plot point throughout this match is that Ash insisted on using the same team from Lake Acuity.

Paul even snuffed at the idea last episode.

For the last time, Staraptor didn't need a win here.

That's why it won against Nando, and why it beat Paul in Pokeringer.

I still stand by the opinion that a Staraptor/Ninjask Aerial duel would have been epic, too bad Drapion is too bitchin' to give a crap about our opinions :drool:

Ninjask was really random. I know Paul was shown to catch it, but it was pretty boring to be honest.

I wish Magmortar was here instead. Torterra beating that would have been great.

A major plot point throughout this match is that Ash insisted on using the same team from Lake Acuity.

Paul even snuffed at the idea last episode.

I know that, doesn't change the fact that I didn't want it in this match to be the fall guy when there are far better Pokemon that deserve to be the fall guy.

For the last time, Staraptor didn't need a win here.

That's why it won against Nando, and why it beat Paul in Pokeringer.

Why do people insist on using the Pokeringer as an excuse over the fact it beat Weavile in their last full battle. Seriously who the hell cares about the Pokeringer? It wasn't even a real battle, even though it did require skill.

But as I was saying Mr. Ignoring my Point, sure it didn't need a win, but that's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that it didn't need to lose like this thus it shouldn't have been in the match.

But what happened...happened, but it doesn't matter anyway, since I didn't really find anything cheap about Staraptor's loss (other than I didn't want to lose by being a fall guy, but that thinking doesn't count towards the cheapness of a battle or not, does it?)

Staraptor already had two victories over Paul, that's the point.

Its really only Torterra that got ridiculously screwed over.

While I was a bit disappointed in Dodatoise losing, I have to say this after watching the episode:

BEST
FUCKING
POKEMON
BATTLE
EVER.
^ I know. I honestly swear, this battle was just too amazing. Can't wait for the next episode!

Staraptor already had two victories over Paul, that's the point.

Its really only Torterra that got ridiculously screwed over.

Staraptor has shown its strength, but I still say it should have gone out with a little more. Lets face it, Gastrodon sexually assualted it and Drapion screwed it over twice and again backwards. It could have at least dealt more damage. It got one quick attack against Gastrodon and then it just got raped. It may or may not have used Close combat to escape Gastrodon's Body slam/Water pulse combo, but even so it didn't actually hurt Gastrodon.

Infernape beating Aggron, Ninjask AND Electivire is just overkill, which further proves my point. Ninjask also didn't get enough action so Staraptor vs Ninjask would have been ideal for both. Staraptor could've lost and then allowed Torterra (who was completely raped by the writers) to finish it using the lessons it learned from the Bertha match.

I rest my case.

While I was a bit disappointed in Dodatoise losing, I have to say this after watching the episode:

BEST
FUCKING
POKEMON
BATTLE
EVER.

It really is.

The Pikachu vs Frolass match really was a visual treat for the eyes.

And Gliscor really did get stronger.

Last edited:
Ninjask was really random. I know Paul was shown to catch it, but it was pretty boring to be honest.

I wish Magmortar was here instead. Torterra beating that would have been great.

It may seem boring to you because Ash fought against Brandon's Ninjask back in Advanced Generation.

The Ninjask is meant to reference continuity, if anything.

I don't know why people think Buizel beating an UGLY blue slug is a call to praise it for lost glory to have its redemption...Clearly Gastrodon was a terrible choice to have for Paul's team. It was weak, it was only lucky to dodge Staraptor's attacks...and it was defeated easily...Buizel still sucks...

I don't care that Paul's team was completely different than his normal one, nor do I care that Staraptor and Torterra never got a win in the match... though I will say that the way Torterra went down was kind of silly.

The match, without thinking about all this '___ needs to win', '___ shouldn't win', '___ is too weak', 'Paul shouldn't have ___', '___ needs redemption' BS, is one of the most interesting matches in the Diamond/Pearl series.

I don't care that Paul's team was completely different than his normal one, nor do I care that Staraptor and Torterra never got a win in the match... though I will say that the way Torterra went down was kind of silly.

The match, without thinking about all this '___ needs to win', '___ shouldn't win', '___ is too weak', 'Paul shouldn't have ___', '___ needs redemption' BS, is one of the most interesting matches in the Diamond/Pearl series.

Agreed 100%. I'm loving this match and all the action and intensity in it. I must even say, that it's probably one of the best matches ever!

I can see the disappointment of Torterra.

Its evolution was late in the saga, and it went down quickly at Sunyshore Gym with no win. You'd at least expect it to do something important in its last form.

The writers cared far more for Sceptile than they ever liked Torterra, that much is obvious. I now think Sceptile got the best treatment of all his grass Pokemon.

I want to ask a question that i should have asked a long time ago.Does anybody know what is the meaning of those words that Jun keeps using, that "nandayo nandatayo" or something like that?

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom