• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP187: Intense Fighting Full Battle! Satoshi VS Shinji!!

Ash is extremely and exaggeratedly kind, same goes for Infernape
Pokémon is all about friendship, believing, forgive, etc...
It makes sense a lot that Infernape would go back to Paul
I'm not saying it'll happen, I'm not saying it won't happen, I don't really support the idea but not against it either
It's a possibility and whatever happens, happens
There's nothing to discuss about it at all... let's just wait and see what happens and accept that without going crazy about whatever they do

Spoilering 'cause of length

Drapion vs Buizel : Escaping Drapion's claws using the floatation sac gave me hope Buizel would put up more of a fight but it got knocked out anyway. Toxic Spikes had awesome animation btw.

Drapion vs Staraptor : Still think Drapion looks oddly weird, especially seeing it bending over. Staraptor also gets knocked out quickly.

Drapion vs Torterra : Torterra put up a much better fight than either Buizel or Staraptor but still went down anyway. :/

Gliscor vs Ninjask : Holy sh*t, Ninjask is fast. Probably the fastest out of anything we've seen in Pokemon. Gliscor's Stone Edge completely missed.

Infernape vs Ninjask : Burning the entire field to get rid of the Toxic Spikes was definitely awesome. Ninjask went out too fast though. Would've like more speed battling from the both of them.

Frosslass vs Pikachu : Frosslass was creepy as all out in the hailstorm, and Volt Tackle just passing through it topped it all off. Almost thought Pikachu won with that one Iron Tail but at least it took a Volt Tackle too.

Gliscor vs Drapion : Gliscor apparently learned something from Ninjask and is now much faster than before. Dodging the Pin Missiles like that was just epic. Oh, and the wind training apparently helped Gliscor to do somersaults. :p
Awesome battle in terms of animation and "strategy" but it still feels kinda lacking overall. At least so far. Though Infernape vs Electivire should totally make up for it.

As Gible would say, that was sort of lost when Glion came back.

Why does everyone assume that the Air Master trained Gliscor so much differently than Ash would. Unless he was out there whipping Gliscor than it isn't really an issue. It's been stated before that Infernape is more compatable with Ash's training style than Paul's and the conclusion to Infernape's story will be when it defeats Electivire(arguably Paul's strongest pokemon) showing that Infernape is stronger with Ash than it could ever be with Paul.

Spoilering 'cause of length

Drapion vs Buizel : Escaping Drapion's claws using the floatation sac gave me hope Buizel would put up more of a fight but it got knocked out anyway. Toxic Spikes had awesome animation btw.

Drapion vs Staraptor : Still think Drapion looks oddly weird, especially seeing it bending over. Staraptor also gets knocked out quickly.

Drapion vs Torterra : Torterra put up a much better fight than either Buizel or Staraptor but still went down anyway. :/

Gliscor vs Ninjask : Holy sh*t, Ninjask is fast. Probably the fastest out of anything we've seen in Pokemon. Gliscor's Stone Edge completely missed.

Infernape vs Ninjask : Burning the entire field to get rid of the Toxic Spikes was definitely awesome. Ninjask went out too fast though. Would've like more speed battling from the both of them.

Frosslass vs Pikachu : Frosslass was creepy as all out in the hailstorm, and Volt Tackle just passing through it topped it all off. Almost thought Pikachu won with that one Iron Tail but at least it took a Volt Tackle too.

Gliscor vs Drapion : Gliscor apparently learned something from Ninjask and is now much faster than before. Dodging the Pin Missiles like that was just epic. Oh, and the wind training apparently helped Gliscor to do somersaults. :p
Awesome battle in terms of animation and "strategy" but it still feels kinda lacking overall. At least so far. Though Infernape vs Electivire should totally make up for it.

Why did you put strategy in quotes?Just curious.

Why does everyone assume that the Air Master trained Gliscor so much differently than Ash would.

Not the point. People keep talking about how Ash and Infernape are really compatible because Ash was able to unlock Chimchar's potential while Paul wasn't. If Gliscor does something he hasn't been able to do before, defeat one of Paul's pokemon, with the techniques and attack he learned from the Air Master... then does that mean he's more compatible with the Air Master? Plus, this battle is made to prove which training methods are the best which means Gliscor doesn't prove anything in that battle.

It's been stated before that Infernape is more compatable with Ash's training style than Paul's and the conclusion to Infernape's story will be when it defeats Electivire(arguably Paul's strongest pokemon) showing that Infernape is stronger with Ash than it could ever be with Paul.

But then again... every boost in power happened when Paul was near. Infernape wanted to prove itself to Paul.

But then again... every boost in power happened when Paul was near. Infernape wanted to prove itself to Paul.

But since Paul was there whenever Chimchar made a huge leap in character development does that mean that it is still compatible with Paul? Because you're making it sound like they are compatible.

But since Paul was there whenever Chimchar made a huge leap in character development does that mean that it is still compatible with Paul? Because you're making it sound like they are compatible.

Had Paul never reappeared, Chimchar probably wouldn't have the drive it showed when Paul was there. Paul's method with Chimchar was always trying to push it to its limits (sometimes in a borderline sadist way (Not Gerard Way geddit)) which Paul still did after he released Chimchar with much better results... :D

Paul is still a major factor in Infernape's character and I wouldn't be surprised if Infernape decided to go back to Paul.

But Gible do you think they could be compatible evn after all Paul did to it as a Chimchar with all the rough treatment?

But Gible do you think they could be compatible evn after all Paul did to it as a Chimchar with all the rough treatment?

I think he's compatible with both actually. It all depends on the lesson learned by Paul in this battle. I don't think he'll do a complete 180, but let's face it, he'll get something out of the battle Ash's eternal luuuuuuve, something he didn't have before.

He'll either learn that through friendship and trust you can reap better results with some pokemon and/or that a trainer has to adapt to his pokemon, not the other way around. Either would be a change in his relationship with Infernape and would actually stem from Infernape and Ash.

I don't think there's anything on the show that we've seen from Paul or Infernape that totally rules out them being together again.

I'm fine either way

Why did you put strategy in quotes?Just curious.

Because it's different from the usual. Toxic Spikes, using Buizel's sac, Frosslass's creepiness etc...well okay, I just made that up. There's no really real reason for it. :p

Reggie specifically mentioned during the Lake Acuity battle that Chimchar was a perfect match for Ash's battle/training style. It is through compassion and trust on Ash's part that Infernape was able to control Blaze for the first time.

Don't get me wrong, it's not as if Paul isn't compatible with Infernape at all. It is just that Infernape is much more accustomed to Ash's growing battle style and personality.

Paul is going to acknowledge Ash's strength through Infernape's growth and progress. It doesn't mean that he will ask Ash to get his pokemon back after it became stronger. Paul isn't as cold-hearted and selfish as Damian was. As mentioned before, Infernape is the pokemon that defines and connects Ash and Paul together. When one life meets another life, something is born.

It also goes to show that persistence and a desire to win at any cost will pay off in the end.

It's just the way things work.

What was that move Drapion kept using, that shot out all those white streams? And when did it find time to lay down Toxic Spikes? And why did Paul return it after it beat Torterra (who really freakin' deserved a win here...)? Also, what was that move Ninjask used, when it circled Infernape and then attacked?

Jeez, usually I'm ok at figuring out which moves are what in the Japanese episodes, but...damn. Beyond that, looks like Gliscor is going to take out Drapion, which will be nice to see. The animation, I thought, was also pretty good.

What was that move Drapion kept using, that shot out all those white streams?

Pin Missile.

And when did it find time to lay down Toxic Spikes?

Drapion launched the attack in the air after Buizel freed itself from its clutches. That poison orb launched from Drapion's mouth while Buizel was mid-air became Toxic Spikes.

And why did Paul return it after it beat Torterra (who really freakin' deserved a win here...)?

Ash's next pokemon after Torterra was defeated was Gliscor.

Paul surmised that Gliscor is best suited to fighting slow opponents on the ground such as Drapion. Paul changed his selection to Ninjask. The pokemon's speed and size made it more suitable to dodge Gliscor's attacks, which usually make contact. Ninjask's Agility and incredible speed allowed it to dodge each and every one of Gliscor's attacks.

Once Ninjask was defeated and Gliscor was sent out again to fight Drapion, did you notice how easier it was for Gliscor to get a hit? Gliscor's aerial style of battling has a notable advantage against a bulky pokemon. Gliscor was able to get Giga Impact in before Drapion was able to react. That could not have happened when it fought Ninjask.

There is a compatibility between each individual pokemon that is not undermined by type.

Also, what was that move Ninjask used, when it circled Infernape and then attacked?

Giga Drain.

^ Thanks. ^_^;; sorry for all the questions. Like I said, usually I'm pretty good at figuring out what move a pokemon's using, even if I don't understand the name, but this time was particularly difficult for me for some reason.

Ash's Gliscor against the beast of a Drapion is an excellent match up and allows us to see how much it has grown from training also, Torterra deserved to win one pokemon.

Anyone know what Paul's last pokemon will be is it going to be Electivire? Too bad I'd hope to see his Torterra since it was Paul's starter.

Loved this ep, just epic

Pikachu vs Frosslass was a great battle for me. The way pikachu used volt tackle when frozen. Gliscor is simply amazing, just the way it bounced of drapion and recharging after using giga impact. I really hope gliscor wins this battle

So far its been a fantastic battle, better then i expected. Paul using pokemon that ash has never faced before definately make it unpredictable to watch

I liked how Paul used new pokemon that Ash never faced in their last couple of battles that made it cool!

So what exactly was everyone saying when Ash sent out Torterra against Drapion. Reggie and Barry seemed concerned, Paul seemed amused, Ash was surprised, and Cynthia seemed interested. Was there any reason given as to why Ash sent it out?

So what exactly was everyone saying when Ash sent out Torterra against Drapion. Reggie and Barry seemed concerned, Paul seemed amused, Ash was surprised, and Cynthia seemed interested. Was there any reason given as to why Ash sent it out?

Paul and Barry probably thought it was a bad move,Reggie probably thought Ash had some trick up his sleeve and Cynthia was probably interested in the strategy Ash would use.

If i have to guess i think Ash used Torterra for it's bulk and recovery.

Drapion has huge defence and Ash probably wanted to take it out with Rock Climb which is a strong physical attack. That it did not work in the end is another matter though.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom