• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP188: Conclusion of Rival Battle! Satoshi VS Shinji!!

What's Ash's track record of these things?

R/B/Y era Top 16
G/S/C era Top 8
R/S/E era Top 8 again
D/P/Pt era "probably" Top 4 (Semi-finalist)

He's been getting better every region.

Getting Top 8 in Johto and then Top 8 in Hoenn isn't getting better every region.

He remained on par for Johto and Hoenn, and I think there could be a similar case for Isshu.

Getting Top 8 in Johto and then Top 8 in Hoenn isn't getting better every region.

He remained on par for Johto and Hoenn, and I think there could be a similar case for Isshu.

Well Ash got better in the sense that he used only one single team (that matched up with the winner of the league if I remember correctly) to get the top 8 spot rather than using all of his reserves so it showed improvement in that even a single team can make Ash go pretty far.

Anyway, loved this battle, loved Infernape, and loved the Ash and Paul parts at the end. A really awesome battle and a nice ending too.

Well Ash got better in the sense that he used only one single team (that matched up with the winner of the league if I remember correctly) to get the top 8 spot rather than using all of his reserves so it showed improvement in that even a single team can make Ash go pretty far.

Anyway, loved this battle, loved Infernape, and loved the Ash and Paul parts at the end. A really awesome battle and a nice ending too.

It wasn't a nice ending.I mean Paul didn't say anything to Ash and he just left.
Send letters to the writers if they'll be a chance that Paul will compete in the Isshu league please?If not then how can I send letters?

^ Didn't he tell Ash that Infernape was strong and that he was thinking of facing Brandon? And also, his facial expression and hand wave were the things that made the goodbye nice imo.

Besides, the whole Ash catching up to him with Cynthia, Brock, and Dawn narrating made the scene work well imo.

Not only that, but I believe in the Hoenn League (been awhile) he advanced to the third round in the victory tournament (or whatever it's called) while in the Silver Conference, he lost in the second round (if you get what I mean). So technically, he did go farther than before even if it was the best 8 again.

I just finished watching it, along with the other parts, and it was indeed the most epic battle the anime ever had. The animation in it was nice, and seeing Ash trying to get himself out of Drapion owning him was a nice change and showed his growth. Along with some of my favorite Pokémon pulling wins as well, like Buizel and Staraptor, they were kind of desperate for some. I also enjoyed the use of Type: WILD during the climax where Electivire and Infernape went at it.

Next week doesn't look good for Ash though. Damn you, you cheap Darkrai user you!

I just finished watching it, along with the other parts, and it was indeed the most epic battle the anime ever had. The animation in it was nice, and seeing Ash trying to get himself out of Drapion owning him was a nice change and showed his growth. Along with some of my favorite Pokémon pulling wins as well, like Buizel and Staraptor, they were kind of desperate for some. I also enjoyed the use of Type: WILD during the climax where Electivire and Infernape went at it.

Next week doesn't look good for Ash though. Damn you, you cheap Darkrai user you!

I agree, the battle was suprisingly awesome, and yeah Drapion was crazy. The Darkrai episode has me wondering alot of things however... I'm curious to see what'll happen.

^ Didn't he tell Ash that Infernape was strong and that he was thinking of facing Brandon? And also, his facial expression and hand wave were the things that made the goodbye nice imo.

Besides, the whole Ash catching up to him with Cynthia, Brock, and Dawn narrating made the scene work well imo.

Oh well, lets see if this Takuto is just like Paul.I actually like it when Paul was cruel to Ash cuz well that's how most of the trainers have to be.He should be like Silver still callous despite caring his Pokemon.And the fact that its too early to even call them "friends" I mean seriously, it took a long time for Charizard to obey Ash and Gary to be nice to him.Does Paul at least smile in the angry way or the way Ash does always?

Last edited:
Really impressive how Pokémon put out all the stops for this battle (obviously this had a much higher budget than your average episode xD). Though not just with this battle but the entire rivalry itself. Drama, intensity, plot, it had it all.

So in short, awesome conclusion to a great rivalry.

I really liked that scene with Paul's pokemon. It showed that even with Paul's training style, they still care for him and I'm sure that even if Paul doesn't care for the weak pokemon and even if he is pretty harsh, he still holds respect and care for the pokemon he keeps.

It just shows how even if both Ash and Paul don't train the same way, doesn't make either one wrong. They're both good trainers to the pokemon they currently have.

I waited for this episode to come out to sit and watch the full match. And I have to say anyone who thinks Pokémon's lost its luster needs to see this. This is the definite high point of the show (until a new one comes up at the end of BW).

In all, an excellent climax for the DP series. Easily one of the best battles ever on the show. 120%

Wow. The end of this rivalry hasn't hit me yet. Awww at the sunset goodbye. I hope that someday they'll battle again.

Heh, it's hard to believe it's been nearly a year since I started to like Paul. Farewell, purple jerk! May you do well in the Battle Frontier! Hoping to see you get a Brave Symbol especially! Oh, and by the way, a smile looks very good on you.

Bit of a shame regarding the lack of Soothe Bells, but I hope they'll be mentioned right before this arc ends. Maybe Ash gives one to Dawn as a memento, like the Ribbon May and Ash split?

What's Ash's track record of these things?

R/B/Y era Top 16
G/S/C era Top 8
R/S/E era Top 8 again
D/P/Pt era "probably" Top 4 (Semi-finalist)

He's been getting better every region.

So going by this pattern... Ash might actually make it to the finals in BW but lose there, and finally win one in Gen 6. Then challenge the E4 and lose there. Gen 7 has him winning one, beating the E4 after then losing to the Champ. Gen 8 might have him actually be a Champion XD.

Yeah, he has, and if we go by your theory Ash may be Pokemon Champion by the end of Gen VIII or IX. Which, as exciting as it sounds, is over 10 years away :l

It is. In Jouto, he lost to a guy who then went on to lose later. In Houen, he just barely lost to the guy who went on to win the entire league. That's getting better.

It is. In Jouto, he lost to a guy who then went on to lose later. In Houen, he just barely lost to the guy who went on to win the entire league. That's getting better.

I think the point in Hoenn was to prove that Ash could do with a brand new team as good as he could with his older experienced Pokémon
So yes, Top 8 using his new Poké only (other than Pika) is much better than Top 8 relying on his old Poké

So yes, Top 8 using his new Poké only (other than Pika) is much better than Top 8 relying on his old Poké
If you follow that logic, then getting into the Top 4 in Sinnoh with reserves is barely better than Ash's previous achievement. It's fair to say that the writers don't think in such narrow terms.

If you follow that logic, then getting into the Top 4 in Sinnoh with reserves is barely better than Ash's previous achievement. It's fair to say that the writers don't think in such narrow terms.

Still, Top 4 > Top 8
I think Ash doesn't have a reason to use his new team only anymore - he already proved he can do it in Hoenn... so from now on, I expect all Leagues to include his older Poké, at least in some little role...
Ash is slowly improving... you can't deny it... we can also see it in his Pokémon team every generation and in his Gym Battles

Kanto was free badges and no training, Johto was the start of real Gym Battles and Ash actually started to train his Poké, Hoenn clearly showcased Ash as more mature, DP emphasized his maturity and showed us how much he's training with Pokémon and using new ideas like Counter Shield...

I think we can expect Ash to reach the final in Isshu
I'd like to see him win, beat the E4 and then lose the Champion... then the next gen League he'll lose in the final to realize that just because he won one League (well, two if you count Orange...) doesn't mean anything and he still has a long way to go
Then in the gen after that he can win the League again and this time beat the Champion

Yes, I realize I'm talking about stuff that might happen in more than 10 years of now so it's ridiculous to even think about... but this is how I'd like to see Ash continue from now on (and after that they can choose either to stick with Ash, or give him a VERY good ending and start a new story while Ash gets a surprise appearance sometime to save the new heroes)

I think we can expect Ash to reach the final in Isshu
I'd like to see him win, beat the E4 and then lose the Champion... then the next gen League he'll lose in the final to realize that just because he won one League (well, two if you count Orange...) doesn't mean anything and he still has a long way to go.

Ash already knows this.He doesn't need to realize it.We got an entire episode of him bragging about his Orange Leage trophy were Gary had to knock him back to his senses....So...yeah,he knows he has a long way to go already.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom