• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP188: Conclusion of Rival Battle! Satoshi VS Shinji!!

So I ended up sleeping through this episode. Haven't done that since DP163. Funny cause they're both turningpoints for Gokuzaru. So since I wasn't among the first like 10ish to see this episode like usually, this post feels kinda eh for me, since just restating things that I'm sure have been stated numerous times already by now, but here we go. Not much this time, just the most important I guess.

Glad to see Gliscor was able to KO Drapion and it wasn't a tie.
I didn't terribly care for a solid deal of this battle, in part I think because I watched it in three sittings, and also cause it wasn't Paul's pokemon we knew, BUT... Goku vs Bull was so epic. Elekibull taunting Gokuzaru was great, and from there it skyrocketed. I mean anytime we have a vocal bgm it's really good, but this was just so good. The culmination of what we've been waiting for for 4 years, and having seen the progression worked out really well for what it came to.
I would have been happy if DP just ended here. Really. The whole time I didn't really care that Ash/Paul wasn't the final, but after watching this I kinda wish it was. Even though Takuto's got Darkrai, this battle had so much more plot to it than that one possibly could. I just couldn't help to smile watching it. That won't happen during the next battle. The ending, with the two of them talking was great, and I kinda am now wishing that could have been the end of the series, and then I really would have been happy if they ran around to wrap up DP in the next episode. Fuck Dawn. Yeah.

Wow...this episode was Amazing thats all I have to say I wish the Soothe Bells would've been brung back up in Pauls closure though. Anyway I'm glad for Ash he finally beat Paul after waiting 4 long years see ya later Paul Shooti is going to have some big shoes to fill in.

^ Yup, pretty much my reaction too. The Holy Shit Quotient went beyond my expectations.

I got REALLY choked up during Satoshi and Shinji's last scene... lasdfkjalsfjkf

I didn't care much for D&P at the beginning of the saga, but seeing this rivalry unfold and then resolve... Dare I say?
Greatest story of them all.

Fucking beautiful is all I can say.

From Rica Matsumoto's beautiful singing voice in the background to Goukazaru and Elekible's final showdown..

Wonderful.
Holy fucking shit indeed.

I watched the episode again and wanted to ask this: did Ash really say "damn" when electivire electrocuted infernape?

I just took a look at the episode pictures and all I can say is that this battle seems to be epic and thus a worthy conclusion of Ash and Paul's rivalry.
And I'm also sure that my dear Cynthia was fantastic as well!

I can't wait for the DUB. Hurry up, PUSA, I'm so excited to see the second best episode in Sinnoh (after "The Battle Finale of Legend") in English!

I've only seen the episode pictures, but the battle looked pretty epic. Ofcourse "blaze-infernape" beating paul in the finals. But did Pikachu use an electric attack against electivire? If he did... ARE YOU KIDDING ME. If not.. I misinterpreted.

That's such an unnecessary line, since it will almost surely never be followed up on.
I'm pretty sure that line was tagged on to show how Cynthia recognizes their potential. I mean, Ash says that they'll battle again too, not like that'll happen.

I'm pretty sure that line was tagged on to show how Cynthia recognizes their potential. I mean, Ash says that they'll battle again too, not like that'll happen.

Aww, come on! Let's be optimistic, even Gary got a little 1 vs 1 after like...an entire region ^^;

I am so in denial

This was truly an awesome episode as well as a fantastic battle!

My only iff was the random referee during the stare down XD

This was truly an awesome episode as well as a fantastic battle!

My only iff was the random referee during the stare down XD

I swear, these refs are so useless. Even Electivire and Paul knew that Infernape could still go on :/

I wasn't moved in the way that I was moved in like a release episode or something, where my eyes were watering, but I was definitely moved. It was bubbly. That's just the best way I can describe it. Where I couldn't help but grin the entire time. From having seen the full progression of the rivalry over the last 4 years, it was just great to see the writers pull it off well.

I actually missed the last 2 parts, so I watched the match in its entirety today.

I honestly believe this is easily one of the greatest matches of the series run. Not even the silver Conference battle between Ash and Gary matched the intensity and energy this match had. I knew Ash would win in the end, but watching every 'Mon go down one-by-one, seeing him struggle against Drapion or improvising to take down Paul's strategic maneuvers kept me completely glued to the action.

I'm kinda sad that Paul won't stick around to watch the end, but its totally in his character to stay out of anything that is no longer his business.

Rewatching the Gary vs. Ash battle is like torture after having the pleasure of witnessing Paul vs. Ash. The highlight was the field getting melted. Aside from that, Hydro Pumps and Flamethrowers were going off like it was a shooting gallery.

The worst part is, I don't think they'll ever be able to top themselves. Not unless we get some serious stuff come Best Wishes.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, putting Type Wild! as background music for when Goakazaru got back on its feet and defeated Elekible... simply amazing. It definitely fit the moment. <3

I wholeheartedly agree <3
This was the first time I heard that song though XD. I hope the dub replacement will be...acceptable.

Wait, I just found out that they have an English version of Type: Wild.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU7R-BLb38k&feature=search

I can't see this in the battle though for some reason.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom