• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP188: Conclusion of Rival Battle! Satoshi VS Shinji!!

When Paul was walking down the stairs after the battle, I just kept seeing Reggie pull up in the van to drive him home. Would have loved that.

Just rewatched the three episodes back to back... Wow... I mean just wow... What hit me the most was how much interaction was intertwined in these episodes. We were treated to some nice Ash/Paul scenes off course, but also some Dawn/Paul, Dawn/Barry, Barry/Ash and Reggie/Paul scenes so those were great. It really made the Ash/Dawn/Barry/Paul quartet almost feel like the core of DP. Piplup was also amazing during the battle, since it, Dawn and Barry gave us some comedy to lighten the mood.

Battle itself had strategy, tension and was just plain amazing. Two things I'd like to adress as a final comment on this battle, one positive, one negative.

- I like that, except for Ninjask and Froslass, all of Paul's pokemon were defeated by a combination of Ash's pokemon. Aggron and Electivire were defeated by Infernape but previously took some of Pikachu's attacks. Buizel defeated Gastrodon who'd already took some damage from Staraptor's Aerial Ace. Same for Torterra who dealt some damage to Drapion before it fell to Gliscor.

- One thing that did bother me (well on top of the fact that Gliscor and Torterra should have swapped focus and screentime and win in this battle) is that Staraptor, Buizel, Torterra and Infernape were all shown to suffer from poisoning, but Gliscor, who was poisonned at the end of his beatdown courtesy of Ninjask, was never shown to be affected by it during his fight with Drapion. It just added to the cheapness surrounding Gliscor.

Other than those two flaws, this was pretty much a perfect battle, pure and simple.

Awesome battle. Just...Awesome. Honestly, what else is there to say? Nothing beyond what has already been said. Playing Type Wild seemed random at first (though I guess any insert song would anyway), but I actually got the messege. Infernape's type really is wild (lol). Well, it's a bittersweet thing to see this rivalry come to a conclusion. But a phenonomal ending. And that's the only thing that counts, really.

That episode. Was simply. Awesome.

While I didn't care that much about the battle itself, I loved that sunset scene with Shinji and the part when Type:Wild played. Not much to add there, nice episode.

Love the commentator with his rage voice all the way through, and that final explosion from Infernape, whoa. Best way to end a rivalry this was.

The fact that Electivire exploded sort of gave away the ending, during the panoramic scene, though I thought it was really intense.

I always wonder if Paul has any other rivals in his journey, and if not - I really believe he should return and visit Ash one day, though the fact that Isshu is really far away from Kanto, I doubt it. Maybe he'll visit Brock.

Well, with all the positive feedback forom people who have watched it, I have decided to watch it right now, wasen't very hard to find I must say.

Just rewatched the three episodes back to back... Wow... I mean just wow... What hit me the most was how much interaction was intertwined in these episodes. We were treated to some nice Ash/Paul scenes off course, but also some Dawn/Paul, Dawn/Barry, Barry/Ash and Reggie/Paul scenes so those were great. It really made the Ash/Dawn/Barry/Paul quartet almost feel like the core of DP. Piplup was also amazing during the battle, since it, Dawn and Barry gave us some comedy to lighten the mood.

Battle itself had strategy, tension and was just plain amazing. Two things I'd like to adress as a final comment on this battle, one positive, one negative.

- I like that, except for Ninjask and Froslass, all of Paul's pokemon were defeated by a combination of Ash's pokemon. Aggron and Electivire were defeated by Infernape but previously took some of Pikachu's attacks. Buizel defeated Gastrodon who'd already took some damage from Staraptor's Aerial Ace. Same for Torterra who dealt some damage to Drapion before it fell to Gliscor.

- One thing that did bother me (well on top of the fact that Gliscor and Torterra should have swapped focus and screentime and win in this battle) is that Staraptor, Buizel, Torterra and Infernape were all shown to suffer from poisoning, but Gliscor, who was poisonned at the end of his beatdown courtesy of Ninjask, was never shown to be affected by it during his fight with Drapion. It just added to the cheapness surrounding Gliscor.

Other than those two flaws, this was pretty much a perfect battle, pure and simple.

Infernape was poisoned and fought against Ninjask and Aggron and was shown to still be fine against Electivire, Glisor got poisoned as well and didn't take much of a beating from Ninjask it's win over Drapion wasn't anymore cheap than Infernape's win. I'm surprised Takuto didn't even appear at all in this episode did he even appear when he found out he was matched against Ash?

The other flaws were how easily Aggron and Gastrodon went down, I know the writers evened it out with Drapion but come on, at least let them put up more of a fight.

I just finished watching the battle for the 1st time, and I take back everytime I said about Ash vs Drake being the best, its no where near, Paul vs Ash has got to be, THE best pokemon battle of all time, in the anime of course :D.

But honestly, Infernapes flamethrower just after Blaze actiavted was fricken awesome, though I'm still disapointed that Barry's Empoleon's Torrent wasen't made out to beas cool, even though it's meant to do the same thing, but anyway, this battle should be used as a advert for people thinking of getting into pokemon, you'll see people flocking to take part in other awesome battles.

This episode was done very well! I enjoyed it, and the battle was amazing. I especially enjoyed seeing Cynthia interact often, cause I love her. <3 I enjoyed the battle, and I am very happy Gliscor took out Drapion. Sucks that Pika had to lose, but Infernape did some excellent avenging.

Ash really made me love him in this episode. I enjoyed his attitude, his spirit, and his mentality.

All in all, great episode! :)

I'm surprised Takuto didn't even appear at all in this episode did he even appear when he found out he was matched against Ash?

Yeah,it was pretty short through.He was shown watching the screen,turned back,and started walking.

But honestly, Infernapes flamethrower just after Blaze actiavted was fricken awesome, though I'm still disapointed that Barry's Empoleon's Torrent wasen't made out to beas cool, even though it's meant to do the same thing,

Because it is not intended to be the same thing.Infernape´s Blaze is supposed to be special,its part of the reason it took it so hard to master it.

Infernape was poisoned and fought against Ninjask and Aggron and was shown to still be fine against Electivire, Glisor got poisoned as well and didn't take much of a beating from Ninjask

Infernape was shown to still be poisoned after coming back out to fight Electivire, it contributed to his activation of blaze. Gliscor didn't and except for that little sidestep upon being called out, didn't seem weakenned. Poisons should have affected him, it didn't.

Yeah,it was pretty short through.He was shown watching the screen,turned back,and started walking.

Looking back on it, I'm glad that's all they did. Episode was about Paul, Ash and Infernape. Those three got the focus, those three got the resolution, that says it all.

Here's to hoping they keep 'Make a Wish' in the dub! They did in the episode where James left his Cacnea, so why not here? That song made it so much better, I think.

The fact that Electivire exploded sort of gave away the ending, during the panoramic scene, though I thought it was really intense.

I always wonder if Paul has any other rivals in his journey, and if not - I really believe he should return and visit Ash one day, though the fact that Isshu is really far away from Kanto, I doubt it. Maybe he'll visit Brock.

He does go to other regions, he could run into Ash while on the way to another. In fact, maybe Paul will give Ash the idea where to go next after Best WishesXD

Wow I didnt think Ash would win this time...I liked the battle even though it wasn't a champ match lol but Ash will probably lose to the Darkrai trainer next since thats always what'll happen, he'll beat a rival and then lose to a friend/new trainer introduced

What's Ash's track record of these things?

R/B/Y era Top 16
G/S/C era Top 8
R/S/E era Top 8 again
D/P/Pt era "probably" Top 4 (Semi-finalist)

He's been getting better every region.

So going by this pattern... Ash might actually make it to the finals in BW but lose there, and finally win one in Gen 6. Then challenge the E4 and lose there. Gen 7 has him winning one, beating the E4 after then losing to the Champ. Gen 8 might have him actually be a Champion XD.

@hikarisword Okay but the champ better be having awesome pokemons

But still he'kll proabbly lose to the darkrai trainer

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom