• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP189: Shin'ō League Semi-Finals! Enter Darkrai!!

The Shinou Team needed more focus? Wat?

They got their grand hurrah against Shinji. Their story was ended with a wonderful, soaring win. The Pokemon that were more DEM in the past got their crushing loss instead... Lol....

What bothers me is that Ash didn't want to use his old pokemon against Roark as he wanted to win with his current team. Did that mean nothing? Whats the point of building a team if you're going to use it as the final test but instead resort to using tried and tested mons. Its not that I have a huge problem with it seeing as we saw SCEPTILE again but still... The Sinnoh Team needed more focus.
They DID exactly that. Or were you not watching the Paul battle?

Or maybe you forgot how he used Gible in the fight, a Sinnoh Pokemon.

Or did you forget also that when he made that statement, he was using Aipom, a Pokemon caught in another region from another generation.

People, don't get so tied down to these early series statements. They aren't oaths or creeds for which Ash swears by, they're simply spirit-boosting techniques. Being a true trainer is using all your sources available to you. Ash proved exactly that this league.

In the Hoenn League, Ash only used his Hoenn Team + Pikachu. Each Mon got focus. Each had multiple battles to show their strength and what not.

The Paul match was superb by all standards. But if Ash had used only his Sinnoh Team in the League, I feel it could have been better.

But I still loved the League.

This turned out better than I expected. I thought Ash might have just been defeated by Darkrai alone. But not only did he defeat the Darkrai, his Pokemon KO'd an unexpected Latios as well. I kinda wish he could have made it to the final round like Dawn did, but since his whole party essentially tied with two "legendaries" (using the overused term loosely here), I'd say that continues to show how far he has advanced as a trainer. And it's still better than he has ever done before. All I can say now is: Epic finish!

Even worse is that the final battle was another Darkrai-only win. I want another episode where Cynthia beats his ass, or if it's to be a close match, let her win anyway.

I was actually joking around after watching this ep that Takuto'll become the new Champ, and Ash'll have to face him in the new Sinnoh League after Best Wishes! ends.

And this ep... Well, tbh, this was a lot better than I thought it would be. It's funny seeing that Ash appears to be the only trainer who could even beat that Darkrai (With Sceptile, no less! I could even see that thing in the Isshu League, kicking arse, but moving on), which gives me hope that he'll defeat a league. ... Eventually.

And also, Pikachu's Plot Level went to literal Beyond the Impossible levels, considering that little mouse Volt Tackled + Iron Tail the living mon out of Latios! ... Really this ep is just... Mind-blowing, really. I really liked it, despite it being a Deus ex Machina-y curb stomp. ... It truly was fun, as others said before me. XP

I really liked this match. I seriously had a Barry fanboy moment when Sceptile won. And then when Swellow went, even though it didn't do much, I pretty much replayed its roar/aerial moves over and over lol.

I swear, I don't think I've ever been this excited for a league before. WIth the Paul match I was pretty much crying with excitement seeing Infernape Blazing it up. Now in this match, I was just so hyped up and everything. Oh and Pikachu used Volt Tail in this match so yeah, I can't really complain haha!

There's no reason this battle couldn't have been in the finals...other than some half-assed attempt to drag things out. Having Ash do the best against Takuto, when not even the finalist could do shit to it makes me wonder what the hell the writers?

There's no reason this battle couldn't have been in the finals...other than some half-assed attempt to drag things out. Having Ash do the best against Takuto, when not even the finalist could do shit to it makes me wonder what the hell the writers?

That kid was obviously lucky enough to get sucky trainers like him, or else we'd have people of Ash and Paul's level in the finals. ... Or maybe the writers just wanted to flip the bird at the viewers just a biiiit more, your call.

Exactly. Some people just get lucky when it comes to who they're paired up against. It happens.

LeonMagnus said:
I think what is really going on (and I'm surprised no one has thought about this yet) is that the writers realized that they made a mistake by trying to make a series with essentially TWO main characters. It just doesn't work out too well, with Dawn getting a better coverage of her contests finals (basically cutting in between Ash's gym badge journey), it took a chunk out of the episodes that could have been spent on making the shinoh league more fleshed out.

I don't think it's fair to place the blame solely on the fact that the show has two main characters. There are tons of other things that ate up time, like the fillers, those random arcs (Tag Tournament, Mikuri Cup, Summer School, Kotone), and the Ginga-Dan plot. The blame doesn't rest solely on Hikari.

I liked the episode, overall, but I wish either Dodaitoise or Cotoise could have gotten the win against Darkrai instead. I also wouldn't have used Fukamaru again because it seemed really out of place here.

In the Hoenn League, Ash only used his Hoenn Team + Pikachu. Each Mon got focus. Each had multiple battles to show their strength and what not.

The Paul match was superb by all standards. But if Ash had used only his Sinnoh Team in the League, I feel it could have been better.

But I still loved the League.

As much as I loved the Ever Grande Conference, I hope Ash doesn't ever do that again.

It worked once, but if it happened again I think I'd be a little ticked off (I was already sorta upset when he told Professor Oak he was using just his Hoenn team, but only at the time).

Reason? If you think about it, it's the only time Ash's reserves get a chance to shine after being gone for years. If they weren't ever used for league battles again, they'd fall into oblivion (like poor Kingler).

The Problem is that at the next league, there will be even more Pokemon. What will happen then?

I feel like the Pokemon are just gonna have to take turns in the league. There's not much more the writers can do. If Ash really does make it to the finals next time, they could possibly throw in a few more battles and make the league a bit longer (but that's wishful thinking).

Aww... All he needed was to beat the legendary pokemon trainer and he'd been on the finals... Well, two more episodes until the finale... That's what I want to see...

Moving on, it's intriguing to see what angers people about the fight in this thread. People are angry at Takuto, at the legendaries, at Ash, at the Pokemon Ash chose, at the briefness of the encounter, and perhaps other things I'm unaware of yet. It's like getting mad at a bunch of action figures -- these characters can't be held responsible or accountable for the actions they take because there's a higher force at work maneuvering them!

Believe it or not, but I have almost nothing to complain about :p
I'm really fine with this episode, because Ash was able to stand his ground so well.
Yes, I hereby want to say:
Ash, I'm damn proud of you, boy!

Defeating TWO legendary Pokemon and being the first trainer in Sinnoh to defeat a Darkrai which was said to be "invincible" is a fantastic job!
Sure I'm sad that you lost because you could easily have made it to the finals, but what you achieved was extraordinary and absolutely praiseworthy!

But not only was the episode a special one because it featured the big showdown we had been waiting for, no, also because it CLEARLY showed that Takuto is absolutely no threat for the ELITE FOUR, let alone the one and only CYNTHIA
Now we can finally stop that silly and far-fetched discussion whether Takuto is the new ... ( I won't say this word because only SHE rightly deserves to bear that glorious title) Forgive me, my Queen but I was afraid that the writers could screw everything up by making arbitrary DEM decisions! Forgive me, I'm unworthy!!:uhoh:

Anyways, I dare say that considering his real strength which was displayed today, Takuto will already fall to Aaron, because both Darkrai and Latios have a blatant weakness against Bug-type attacks!
Sorry, Takuto even despite the fact that you turned out to be a quite likable character, your endeavors and aspirations will end against the Elite Four. That's what trainers deserve who have to rely on cheap power of legendary Pokemon :p

And there's a last thing I'd like to mention because it moved me so much:
The scene at the end where Mr.Goodshow, Takuto and CYNTHIA stood together, admiring those beautiful fireworks.
Ooooh, what a solemn moment that was! How I wished that Takuto wouldn't be in that scene, but that it would be dedicated to Cynthia, to her alone!
My Queen, even it will take a while until I'll see you heavenly angel again, this was a worthy farewell scene. Actually, the fireworks and that solemn scene were meant for you only so that you'll be on my mind and in my heart FOREVER.

sinnohleague.jpg

sinnohleague2.jpg

Last edited:
She'd beat Takuto with her Garchomp only? I'm really wondering about it. Darkrai and Latios in my opinion are stronger than Flint's Infernape. With 6 pokemon, Ash would've beaten Infernape too.

If Cynthia and Takuto battled I think I'd go for Takuto, and win with Darkrai and Latios with one of them fainting (preferably Darkrai), just to show how far Ash has come this region.

On the episode, I am quite happy with how it turned out. It was way better than I expected and that Latios caught me (and Ash for that matter) off guard. The final battle was pretty epic too with Pikachu's Volt Tackle and Iron Tail combo.

Im starting to think that the recent Hoenn references in both Anime AND Game are a sign that there WILL be a Hoenn remake for sure.

It's the next one due according to pattern, so it'll be more of a surprise if there isn't a Ruby/Sapphire remake down the road. Though... I wonder if at any point Gamefreakl'll loop back and start from Kanto again...

It's the next one due according to pattern, so it'll be more of a surprise if there isn't a Ruby/Sapphire remake down the road. Though... I wonder if at any point Gamefreakl'll loop back and start from Kanto again...

Nah, there will be Hoenn remakes 1st to finish the loop, then maybe additions to gen 1

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom